Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: YOUNGER GENERATIONS HAVE IT TOUGHER

Message 11 of 36

It is weird that some seem to want to post "information" and never include the source of said "information".     The survey leaves out information that is critical if an attempt to understand the "results" is the goal.     So here is the survey - and what most people will notice is that there is no real breakdown of who was actually surveyed.     Look at the survey and see if you agree - https://s1.q4cdn.com/959385532/files/doc_downloads/research/2018/Millennials-and-Money-survey.pdf

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 36

All corporations that sell stock are regulated by the rules of the Stock Exchange. Right now you vote on top salaries but it is NOT BINDING. This needs to happen to control the upper salaries or the left will continue whining about the excessive CEO salaries (and they're right to complain)!

Ok, now I am confused.  don't Trump supporters are for less regulations of just the ones that are convenient to them?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 36

@rker321 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

I agree that (some) CEOs make too much money but the problem is NOT Republican or even Democrats. It is both parties that have failed their responsibilities to the American public. CEO salaries are set by compensation boards that are members of the board of directors and beholden to the CEO! They also have a question (non binding) that asks if you (the stockholder) agree to that level of compensation and even set goals for each member of the board.  The real issue is the vote is NON BINDING so the shareholders really don't determine the salary of the CEO.

If both Republicans and Democrats made a law that said the vote on compensation was binding (for all publicly held stock companies), that would accomplish your (and my goal)!

BTW, I don't agree that there should be a general rule that says all CEOs should make a maximum of 20 times the average salary in the company. Some CEOs are average, some below average, and some excel.

Although I agree with most of what you are saying. the part that I have a question is, why should the government have to act and interfere with what a private corporation does and its  laws.
I believe that the compensation of any CEO represents, the culture of any corporation. and that obscene greed has taken over their laws and culture on what should be.

I went to a meeting in which my local utility company was trying to raise their rates in a big manner. and found out that they rewarded their own shareholders with over 6% om their dividends, while they were raising our rated in a big manner.

I told the panel that I wished I had known  of how much those shareholders were getting, I would have bought some of their stock.  but  that had nothing to do with the amount of money that they thought their consumers should pay.  We did win and the State didn't approve that increase but eventually by imposing little increases they  have gotten what they wanted.

So the lesson is. more regulations will not do anything in this case but the culture of the corporation will.

All corporations that sell stock are regulated by the rules of the Stock Exchange. Right now you vote on top salaries but it is NOT BINDING. This needs to happen to control the upper salaries or the left will continue whining about the excessive CEO salaries (and they're right to complain)!

Utility companies are monopolies (you can't buy your water, gas, electric from someone else), so they rely on boards of public utilities to "regulate" their charges.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 36

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@mandm84 wrote:

I agree that (some) CEOs make too much money but the problem is NOT Republican or even Democrats. It is both parties that have failed their responsibilities to the American public. CEO salaries are set by compensation boards that are members of the board of directors and beholden to the CEO! They also have a question (non binding) that asks if you (the stockholder) agree to that level of compensation and even set goals for each member of the board.  The real issue is the vote is NON BINDING so the shareholders really don't determine the salary of the CEO.

If both Republicans and Democrats made a law that said the vote on compensation was binding (for all publicly held stock companies), that would accomplish your (and my goal)!

BTW, I don't agree that there should be a general rule that says all CEOs should make a maximum of 20 times the average salary in the company. Some CEOs are average, some below average, and some excel.

Although I agree with most of what you are saying. the part that I have a question is, why should the government have to act and interfere with what a private corporation does and its  laws.
I believe that the compensation of any CEO represents, the culture of any corporation. and that obscene greed has taken over their laws and culture on what should be.

I went to a meeting in which my local utility company was trying to raise their rates in a big manner. and found out that they rewarded their own shareholders with over 6% om their dividends, while they were raising our rated in a big manner.

I told the panel that I wished I had known  of how much those shareholders were getting, I would have bought some of their stock.  but  that had nothing to do with the amount of money that they thought their consumers should pay.  We did win and the State didn't approve that increase but eventually by imposing little increases they  have gotten what they wanted.

So the lesson is. more regulations will not do anything in this case but the culture of the corporation will.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 36

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Are you implying there was no difference in CEO performance in the 1960's and 70's? The AVERAGE was 35 times, the range was considerably more variation.

No need to set some max multiple of average worker pay for CEOs, just repeal the Reagan Taxscam (may need to add a 90% TMR for incomes over $5M) and the top 10% (the ones who divide the profits) will "self-regulate" so workers again receive a fair share of the profits they produce.

How do I know? BECAUSE THEY DID EXACTLY THAT FOR 40+ YEARS.

Human Nature has not changed and if the ones doing the dividing cannot keep everything they give themselves, they'll share with the workers because altho they may hold those workers in low esteme, they HATE the Government, and those are the two places the money can go. No chance they'll pass it to the stock holders - the last 30 years has seen the "distribution" shift so the stockholder ROI is LOWER than it was in the 1970's, and the tRump induced buy-backs have seriously diluted what little power stockholders still had.

I'm not implying anything - just that I don't think salaries are a fixed fraction of the CEO and your comment about the Reagan taxscam has nothing to do with the ratio as well as lost some credibility. I have no problem with a truly exceptional person responsible for a large part of the success of the company making more than the CEO!

I'm simply saying the stockholders should have a direct binding say in the top executives salary from the VP up!

Those with VOTING (normally "Class A" stock) DO have voting rights.

When you purchase stock from your brokrage firm, you are normally buying class "A" shares which have full voting rights.

Problem with your notion is 84% of those voting shares are owned by 10% of stock holders, and only 5% of stockholders are INDIVIDUALS. The vast majority of voting share are owned by CORPORATIONS and are therefore controled by Corporate Oligarchs who have not been known for their civic mindedness. Thanks to Republican legislation, more and more companies are issuing 2 types of "common" stock - some with voting rights, others without.

None of this is true!

This has EVERYTHING to do with the Reagan taxscam. Before the scam, workers received about 80% of their productivity increases as wage increases and before the LBJ tax cut, it was 96%. After the Reagan Scam, that percentage dropped to 7%.

The ONLY way to get back to having workers receive a fair share of profits is to remove the incentive for the ones dividing the profits to keep it all for themselves, which is EXACTLY what they've done since 1980 when the Reaganscam allowed them to keep what they took.

You want to return some of the profits to the workers who created them? Stop voting for the Republicans who arranged for the profits to all go to the top 10% by changing the tax code.

You hate Reagan, don't you?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 36

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I'm simply saying the stockholders should have a direct binding say in the top executives salary from the VP up!

Does every stockholder have 1 equal vote?  Should stockholders also decide how much employees are paid?

Yes, every stock share has one equal vote! Stockholders SHOULD decide how much the VP on up should make. The top management should decide all other salaries.

Pardon me ................... but the tax rates after WWII had the greatest effect on CEO's making far less than they do today and how they grew their companies to make their money in stock options.

Tax rates of 90% marginal rates are obscene.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 36

Company Pensions , Matching 401k's and Healthcare have all but disappeared for today's young workers.

True

Historic low home ownership rates too,  flat or near flat incomes, student debt, personal debt, lots of road blocks for young people.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 36

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Does every stockholder have 1 equal vote?  Should stockholders also decide how much employees are paid?

Pardon me ................... but the tax rates after WWII had the greatest effect on CEO's making far less than they do today and how they grew their companies to make their money in stock options.

YES! And what drove those "options" was the ECONOMIC GROWTH from giving 96% of the profits from worker productivity TO THE WORKERS who SPENT IT! This is how we averaged 5-6% GDP growth before Reagan's taxscam and only get 2-3% AFTER the scam. It's also how we could not only maintain our infrastructure but IMPROVE it every year BEFORE the scam.

Now all the profits are going into sterile investments - existing stocks and real estate, which is what the top 10% do with any income increase, having already satisfied all their needs and wants with less than 80% of their income or the top 1% who buy all they desire with 50% of their income.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 36

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 36

@GailL1 wrote:

Sometimes other methods of compensation come into play.

How Stock Options Work In Start Up Companies

I know several pretty young folks (40-45) who have worked for companies that offered this type of compensation.  All of these companies have now gone public and they are reaping their financial rewards for taking this risk with the startup.

It is all about determing what you can tolerate financially from beginning to end.

Increased risk many times does = greater benefit.  And actually working there should give a bird's eye view since the company is a startup.

There are many ways to make money for employees today if they are able to understand various methods of compensation, and other related matters, I.e. Tax implications when the deal is done.

"increased risk" means that far fewer succeed.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors