Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

Message 1 of 45

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

Because they are too lazy and / or unable to objectively analyze a candidate and their positions.  Just being a member of a political party (any party) does not automatically mean they believe and will uphold that parties platform.  To think so is naive.  It is also the case of a many voters having an unreal picture of themselves, not realizing what their best self interests are and allowing themselves to be distracted by wedge issues.

Well you are basically saying that people do a bad job with voting.  But again, opinion is subjective.  You have no way to know why or how someone else votes.  You are using your own opinions and suppositions, which can be accurate or very far from the truth.  Since no one has control over another's vote it is impossible to change someone else's opinion except through persuasion.  Usually, imho, you will find that trying to denigrate someone or their choices only makes them dig in deeper.

There are lazy and uninformed people in all parties.  With the two party choices you have a very limited choice to start with.  Our whole election process seems to need an overhaul.

If you read my post again you will realize I was talking about both parties.  And, I agree with you that our election process needs to be overhauled.

Yes, my comments relate to voters in either or both parties.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 45

@rk9152 wrote:

NerdyMom wrote: 

"Specifically, he asked whether it is more important to raise a child to be (1) respectful or independent; (2) obedient or self-reliant; (3) well-behaved or considerate; and (4) well-mannered or curious.  It turned out that these questions were, for Republicans, by far the best predictors of who planned to vote for Trump—better than gender, age, race, income, religiosity, or anything else that was asked."

Why would one assume that these qualities are mutually exclusive?? I'd like to think, for example, that a well mannered individual could be curious.

True.   They are like that on purpose.  To force you to prioritize one over the other.   Which do you value MORE?   That is what ends up being predictive of your voting choice.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?

Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.

This does not answer my question.  I asked why someone would vote against someone that they felt was right for the job.  Being loyal to a party usually means you identify with the party platform and goals and you do feel their candidates are the best for the Nation.    

Because they are too lazy and / or unable to objectively analyze a candidate and their positions.  Just being a member of a political party (any party) does not automatically mean they believe and will uphold that parties platform.  To think so is naive.  It is also the case of a many voters having an unreal picture of themselves, not realizing what their best self interests are and allowing themselves to be distracted by wedge issues.

Well you are basically saying that people do a bad job with voting.  But again, opinion is subjective.  You have no way to know why or how someone else votes.  You are using your own opinions and suppositions, which can be accurate or very far from the truth.  Since no one has control over another's vote it is impossible to change someone else's opinion except through persuasion.  Usually, imho, you will find that trying to denigrate someone or their choices only makes them dig in deeper.

There are lazy and uninformed people in all parties.  With the two party choices you have a very limited choice to start with.  Our whole election process seems to need an overhaul.

If you read my post again you will realize I was talking about both parties.  And, I agree with you that our election process needs to be overhauled.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 45

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?

Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.

This does not answer my question.  I asked why someone would vote against someone that they felt was right for the job.  Being loyal to a party usually means you identify with the party platform and goals and you do feel their candidates are the best for the Nation.    

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 45

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 45

@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

sp362 wroteSmiley Tongueutting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.
I believe that when a person votes for a Party it is because that they believe that Party represents more closely their thinking about what is best for America - and for them.

Sorry, but there are way too many examples of people blindly electing indivduals (from both parties) that do not align themselves with their party policies or government interests in order to think that doing zero research and voting a strict party line is anything but lazy ands naive.

I'll have to yield to your expertise in that area. It does not describe the people I associate with although I guess they do exist.

It's sorta like the narrow mindedness of posters who criticize our President with all sorts of meaningless, childish term - just blind hatred.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 45

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.

Phrased in another, more accurate, way Conservatives live and think in the world of our Constitution. Progressives live and think in the world of "From each.....to each.....". One has "right wing websites" the other has "left wing web sites".

As to Dems and Reps - they both live in the world of "beat the other guy".

Is that why Conservative continually try to pass unconstitutional laws?

That comment requires a bit of expansion - a snippet does not do the job.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 45

@rk9152 wrote:

sp362 wroteSmiley Tongueutting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.
I believe that when a person votes for a Party it is because that they believe that Party represents more closely their thinking about what is best for America - and for them.

Sorry, but there are way too many examples of people blindly electing indivduals (from both parties) that do not align themselves with their party policies or government interests in order to think that doing zero research and voting a strict party line is anything but lazy ands naive.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 45

@rk9152 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.

Phrased in another, more accurate, way Conservatives live and think in the world of our Constitution. Progressives live and think in the world of "From each.....to each.....". One has "right wing websites" the other has "left wing web sites".

As to Dems and Reps - they both live in the world of "beat the other guy".

Is that why Conservative continually try to pass unconstitutional laws?

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors