Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

Message 11 of 45

sp362 wroteSmiley Tongueutting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.
I believe that when a person votes for a Party it is because that they believe that Party represents more closely their thinking about what is best for America - and for them.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>

Fact.  I am unemployed. Employment is bad for me.  

Fact Bob is employed Employment is good for Bob

People vote based on their own version of reality.  That is a fact 

Succinct and to the point.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 45

NerdyMom wrote: 

"Specifically, he asked whether it is more important to raise a child to be (1) respectful or independent; (2) obedient or self-reliant; (3) well-behaved or considerate; and (4) well-mannered or curious.  It turned out that these questions were, for Republicans, by far the best predictors of who planned to vote for Trump—better than gender, age, race, income, religiosity, or anything else that was asked."

Why would one assume that these qualities are mutually exclusive?? I'd like to think, for example, that a well mannered individual could be curious.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 45

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.

Phrased in another, more accurate, way Conservatives live and think in the world of our Constitution. Progressives live and think in the world of "From each.....to each.....". One has "right wing websites" the other has "left wing web sites".

As to Dems and Reps - they both live in the world of "beat the other guy".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 45

@mickstuder wrote:

Words Do Matter

Can you answer this Question?

I shall certainly attempt to comply with your request. And then, possibly, you can comment of JFK's "Ask not...." compared to the modern Dems, ""We'll give you free....".

Why is it that the only time Republicans worry about the Government Giving Away Free Stuff is in the Context of - To those in our Country who actually need the help?

Generally it is such give aways that comes up in a discussion as to the proper role of government - our limited government concept vs "From each....to each".

I never hear even Fiscally Conservative Republicans complaining about all the Free Money & Benefits given to those Americans who don;t really need it - and thats not just me talking - people like

You'll have to be more specific. I know that tax reform is thought of as giving to the wealthy. What a strange concept - letting those already paying the major portion of the taxes keep a little more of their earnings is "giving to the rich". Equally interesting is the idea that such "takes from the poor" - the "poor" aren't paying any federal income tax.

Warren Buffet and Bill Gates make this case frequently

The Patented Excuse is Always - well giving stuff to Rich People and Large Corporations creates Jobs - not one shred of credible evidence supports this theory

"Rich people" covered above. "Corporate taxes", as is discussed elsewhere" are actually paid by the consumer so this is a false argument.

For Example - Janet Yellen makes a claim that the Economy is Doing Great so we need to increase Interest Rates - apprently because the Stock Market where only 30% of Americans benefit is setting records and Corporate Profits where the Work Force is increasingly Non-Human is also setting Record Profits - one good example in a few years all those thousands of Big Truck on the Highways will be mostly Computer Guided

Actually, it was Yellen's "QE" that made things look good for Obama. The interest rates do not reflect reality and should have been addressed years ago. Instead she waited for Obama to be out of office so his successor would have to deal with the results of the increases.

Yeah well the Generation who is the Future of this Country already cannot participate in the American Dream of Home Ownership because of high interest rates on College Loans on top of Already Exobitant Inexplicable High Costs to purchase a Education

It's not the high rate of interest (government controlled by the way) - it is the high cost. If a kid has a loan of $50,000 it is that figure, not the interest rate, that is "eating his lunch".

1. According to a study by The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, mortgage interest deductions for households with incomes between $40,000 and $75,000 average just $523, while households with incomes above $250,000 enjoy an average write-off of $5,459, or more than 10 times as much.

Are you proposing "means testing" of mortgage loans?

You must itemize on IRS Form 1040 Schedule A to claim the deduction. If you do, you can also deduct the interest paid on a second home. The rich do both, but most of the middle class does neither.

Are we back to "From each......to each....."? 

"For millions of taxpayers, therefore, the mortgage interest deduction provides no added incentive to buy a home," says Hanlon. "It makes no sense in terms of targeting the incentive at the people who need or could use it."

2. Long-term capital gains, which derive from the sale of investments such as stocks and bonds held for more than a year, are taxed at 15 percent. That's well below the 35 percent maximum tax rate on ordinary income such as wages.

The preferential tax treatment of capital gains is widely viewed as regressive because the rich, who derive a disproportionate share of their income from capital gains, pay less than half of the tax rate on that income compared to middle-class wage earners.

The intent was and is to encourage investment which grows the economy and creates jobs. What alternative to offer for the funding needed to start a business - the government?

"Capital gains are highly concentrated," says Rebecca Wilkins, senior counsel for Citizens for Tax Justice. "Most of the capital gains are earned by folks in the top 10 percent, and it's even concentrated more than that. So the capital gains tax break, which is a 20 percentage-point difference in the amount of tax that is paid on those, is going almost all to the top 5 percent."

In fact, Americans with an annual income of $1 million or more, or 0.3 percent of all taxpayers, enjoy 70 percent of the capital gains benefit, says Hanlon.

The favorable capital gains rate is expected to save the wealthy (and cost Uncle Sam) $38.5 billion for fiscal 2012, according to the Office of Management and Budget.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.

Yeah, I guess you got me there - I injected my own Bias - Voting to me is a sacred duty and should result in improving the Country State Town Government for the Good of All and especially to insure it exists in the best shape possible for the next generation..............................

Some Really Smart Guy Once Said:

"We as Americans cannot abdicate our responsibilities and claim our rights at the same time."

I agree

But don't you think everyone that votes thinks they are voting for the best person for the job and for the right reasons?

No and I don't think you believe that either...............................................words matter - you taught me that.........................................Everyone?

OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?

Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 45

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

The importance of words

Yeah, I guess you got me there - I injected my own Bias - Voting to me is a sacred duty and should result in improving the Country State Town Government for the Good of All and especially to insure it exists in the best shape possible for the next generation..............................

"We as Americans cannot abdicate our responsibilities and claim our rights at the same time."

I agree

But don't you think everyone that votes thinks they are voting for the best person for the job and for the right reasons?

No and I don't think you believe that either...............................................words matter - you taught me that.........................................Everyone?

OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

The importance of words

I agree

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 45

mickstuder wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

mickstuder wrote:

The importance of words

I agree

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>

Fact.  I am unemployed. Employment is bad for me.  

Fact Bob is employed Employment is good for Bob

People vote based on their own version of reality.  That is a fact 

Fact.- I am unemployed = A Real Fact .................................Employment is bad for me - even if it said Unemployment is bad for me is a Opinion

Fact - Bob is Employed = A Real Fact...................................Employment is Good for Bob - is a opinion

People do Vote - Based on their version of Reality - That is also a Fact

But their version of Reality is a Opinion - we can all share Actual Facts and we can and should all Vote based on Actual Facts

What many of us do - is either share our own and/or beleive other peoples versions of Reality - and base Votes on them......................thats a Sad Fact 

The importance of words

I agree

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors