From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

Message 21 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.

Unfortunately you are correct and people prove that they don't look at facts time and again.  Just because it is your right, does not mean it is something you should do or the correct thing to do.  When you are on a jury do they tell you just vote however you feel, don't let facts get in the way?

Sorry but the two are not the same.  There is no mandate for how you decide who to vote for.  You could chose to vote for someone because of the fact that they have been in politics for 21 years but that fact could be meaningless. 

Oh and btw jurors often must decide which set of "facts" are correct.  Subjective as well.

You missed my point, which is that people should be voting based on facts and the ability to critically analyze information.  Our elections are too important to turn them into nothing but a personality contest.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 45

sp362 wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

mickstuder wrote:

nyadrn wrote:

The importance of words

Unfortunately you are correct and people prove that they don't look at facts time and again.  Just because it is your right, does not mean it is something you should do or the correct thing to do.  When you are on a jury do they tell you just vote however you feel, don't let facts get in the way?

Sorry but the two are not the same.  There is no mandate for how you decide who to vote for.  You could chose to vote for someone because of the fact that they have been in politics for 21 years but that fact could be meaningless. 

Oh and btw jurors often must decide which set of "facts" are correct.  Subjective as well.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>

Fact.  I am unemployed. Employment is bad for me.  

Fact Bob is employed Employment is good for Bob

People vote based on their own version of reality.  That is a fact 

Fact.- I am unemployed = A Real Fact .................................Employment is bad for me - even if it said Unemployment is bad for me is a Opinion

Fact - Bob is Employed = A Real Fact...................................Employment is Good for Bob - is a opinion

People do Vote - Based on their version of Reality - That is also a Fact

But their version of Reality is a Opinion - we can all share Actual Facts and we can and should all Vote based on Actual Facts

What many of us do - is either share our own and/or beleive other peoples versions of Reality - and base Votes on them......................thats a Sad Fact 

The importance of words

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 45

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>

Fact.- I am unemployed = A Real Fact .................................Employment is bad for me - even if it said Unemployment is bad for me is a Opinion

Fact - Bob is Employed = A Real Fact...................................Employment is Good for Bob - is a opinion

But their version of Reality is a Opinion - we can all share Actual Facts and we can and should all Vote based on Actual Facts

What many of us do - is either share our own and/or beleive other peoples versions of Reality - and base Votes on them......................thats a Sad Fact 

The importance of words

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 45

@NerdyMom wrote:

"Specifically, he asked whether it is more important to raise a child to be (1) respectful or independent; (2) obedient or self-reliant; (3) well-behaved or considerate; and (4) well-mannered or curious.  It turned out that these questions were, for Republicans, by far the best predictors of who planned to vote for Trump—better than gender, age, race, income, religiosity, or anything else that was asked."

So, my question now is,  if this "is" the difference, how to we find common ground?

Thanks for the post.  Perhaps "they" whoever that is will wonder about that too, take it upon themselves to add to their imperfect grasp of 'things', read your links and look for more and then realize that the consequences of their actions affect others as well as themselves.  OOOOPS!

If they all do that there doesn't need to be a difference, it's all common ground, isn't it?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 45

@nyadrn wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I never said it was only a Republican issue. But I did say Republicans live in an alternate reality where the truth and facts are often irrelevant. I don't like the Democratic Party, but at least they live in the real world and mean well.

Guess what, everyone thinks this about the other guy, whether it is party, religion, whatever.  Woman Wink

Well now....since the topic that guy started was about words and the importance of using correct terminology, I am forced to respond whether I want to or not.  You have a point, but NO...everyone does not think this.  [wink-wink, nod-nod]

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 45

@mickstuder wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 45

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. 

Everyone today has access to the Knowledge that provides at least a Basic Understanding of Typical Issues like - Taxes - Healthcare - Wages - Education - Elections - Employment Opportunity - Etc.

If Family Members are Unemployed or Underemployed but they are also Honest in their search for the knowledge to answer the question Why then they would be able to answer a Question about who if anyone is responsible truthfully

Simply finding someone to blame is not a solution or even helpful - but unfortunately it's a easy way for too many people to think they've found the correct answer 

BTW - I rarely follow my own advice......................

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

Message 30 of 45

NyAdm said, "If you, your family, your friends are all having employment issues than you may think that unemployment was terrible under President Obama (and maybe it was for you) and so when you respond to that question you would say yes.  You disregard the fact that as a percentage it was not. What affects you directly has an impact. "

That's an excellent point and I agree with her when one examines only the impact on those individuals and/or their families. But that's very different from believing unemployment went up during the Obama Adminstration when it was actually cut almost in half. The former makes sense while the latter is scary.

If you're a victim of a violent crime, only that crime matters to you. But believing violent crime went up during the Obama Adminstration because you were a victim, would be an alternate version of reality over the past 8 years.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Are you new to the online community? Say Hi and tell us a bit about yourself, your interests, and how we can help make this community a great experience for you!

close-up group of seniors smiling at camera

Top Authors