Looking for work? The U.S. Census Bureau is hiring more than 500,000 people nationwide. Learn more.

Reply
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
451
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

451 Views
Message 31 of 45

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.


What I am telling you is that each person has their own verison of reality and it is what they believe whether that is factual or not.  That was my point.  It is also impossible to fully understand another persons world view.  

 

Take unemployment.  If you, your family, your friends are all having employment issues than you may think that unemployment was terrible under President Obama (and maybe it was for you) and so when you respond to that question you would say yes.  You disregard the fact that as a percentage it was not.  What affects you directly has an impact.   Do you see what I mean?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
451
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
449
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

449 Views
Message 32 of 45

I have forever tried to figure out why conservatives and liberals think so differently.  The closest I've ever come to understanding it is by reading George Lakoff's books.  He applies cognitive science to our moral/political beliefs and has come up with a "strict father" (conservative) vs. "nurturant parent" (liberal) approach.   Your outlook on how the family model functions seems to be a really good indicator of how you will view politics and how those are a reflection of today's moral beliefs.  

If anyone is interested, his basic hypothesis is explained in this book:

 

https://www.amazon.com/Moral-Politics-Liberals-Conservatives-Think/dp/0226467716

 

His newest is Your Brain's Politics, How the Science of Mind Explains the Political Divide.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Brains-Politics-Explains-Political/dp/1845409213/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=U...

 

This theory explains why the biggest predictor of someone who voted for Trump was that they believe in authoritarian parenting styles.  https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201702/childrearing-beliefs-were-best-predictor-t...  

 

"Specifically, he asked whether it is more important to raise a child to be (1) respectful or independent; (2) obedient or self-reliant; (3) well-behaved or considerate; and (4) well-mannered or curious.  It turned out that these questions were, for Republicans, by far the best predictors of who planned to vote for Trump—better than gender, age, race, income, religiosity, or anything else that was asked."

 

So, my question now is,  if this "is" the difference, how to we find common ground?

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
449
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
444
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

444 Views
Message 33 of 45

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.

Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
444
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
449
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

449 Views
Message 34 of 45

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Not true NYAdm; Check out these surveys of Trump voters and tell me they live in the real world.

 

  • Close to 2/3 of Trump voters believe Obama was born in Kenya
  • Almost 40% of Trump voters believe the value of the stock market went down during the 8 years of the Obama administration (It actually more than tripled in value)
  • 2/3 of Trump voters believe the unemployment rate rose during the Obama administration while it actually dropped from over 8% to 4.7%.
  • Most Trump voters believe violent crime rose during the Obama Adminstration when in reality, they experienced some of the lowest violent crime rates in many years.
  • etc.

and everyone thinks that the other guy lives in a different reality : )

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
449
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
456
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

456 Views
Message 35 of 45

@rk9152 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Ronald Reagan was a Republican, but in today's GOP, he would probably never have a shot at being elected. Reagan believed in working with the other party to come up with a bill which benefits all Americans. He was also mainstream.

 

Today's Republican Party looks at compromise as an ugly word. Today's Republican Party no longer puts America first, they put party first.

 

Today's Republican Party ignores facts, the truth, and lives in an alternate reality. This is probably the scariest element of being a Republican today.


No question but that we have a lot of polarization going on and have for quite a while. But you err to think it is a Republican thing only. JFK would have no chance today. Consider his "Ask not........" as compared to today's "We'll give you free........".


Words Do Matter

 

Can you answer this Question?

 

Why is it that the only time Republicans worry about the Government Giving Away Free Stuff is in the Context of - To those in our Country who actually need the help?

 

I never hear even Fiscally Conservative Republicans complaining about all the Free Money & Benefits given to those Americans who don;t really need it - and thats not just me talking - people like

 

Warren Buffet and Bill Gates make this case frequently

 

The Patented Excuse is Always - well giving stuff to Rich People and Large Corporations creates Jobs - not one shred of credible evidence supports this theory

 

For Example - Janet Yellen makes a claim that the Economy is Doing Great so we need to increase Interest Rates - apprently because the Stock Market where only 30% of Americans benefit is setting records and Corporate Profits where the Work Force is increasingly Non-Human is also setting Record Profits - one good example in a few years all those thousands of Big Truck on the Highways will be mostly Computer Guided

 

Yeah well the Generation who is the Future of this Country already cannot participate in the American Dream of Home Ownership because of high interest rates on College Loans on top of Already Exobitant Inexplicable High Costs to purchase a Education

 

1. According to a study by The Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania, mortgage interest deductions for households with incomes between $40,000 and $75,000 average just $523, while households with incomes above $250,000 enjoy an average write-off of $5,459, or more than 10 times as much.

 

You must itemize on IRS Form 1040 Schedule A to claim the deduction. If you do, you can also deduct the interest paid on a second home. The rich do both, but most of the middle class does neither.

 

"For millions of taxpayers, therefore, the mortgage interest deduction provides no added incentive to buy a home," says Hanlon. "It makes no sense in terms of targeting the incentive at the people who need or could use it."


2. Long-term capital gains, which derive from the sale of investments such as stocks and bonds held for more than a year, are taxed at 15 percent. That's well below the 35 percent maximum tax rate on ordinary income such as wages.

The preferential tax treatment of capital gains is widely viewed as regressive because the rich, who derive a disproportionate share of their income from capital gains, pay less than half of the tax rate on that income compared to middle-class wage earners.

 "Capital gains are highly concentrated," says Rebecca Wilkins, senior counsel for Citizens for Tax Justice. "Most of the capital gains are earned by folks in the top 10 percent, and it's even concentrated more than that. So the capital gains tax break, which is a 20 percentage-point difference in the amount of tax that is paid on those, is going almost all to the top 5 percent."

In fact, Americans with an annual income of $1 million or more, or 0.3 percent of all taxpayers, enjoy 70 percent of the capital gains benefit, says Hanlon.

The favorable capital gains rate is expected to save the wealthy (and cost Uncle Sam) $38.5 billion for fiscal 2012, according to the Office of Management and Budget.

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
456
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
468
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

468 Views
Message 36 of 45

Not true NYAdm; Check out these surveys of Trump voters and tell me they live in the real world.

 

  • Close to 2/3 of Trump voters believe Obama was born in Kenya
  • Almost 40% of Trump voters believe the value of the stock market went down during the 8 years of the Obama administration (It actually more than tripled in value)
  • 2/3 of Trump voters believe the unemployment rate rose during the Obama administration while it actually dropped from over 8% to 4.7%.
  • Most Trump voters believe violent crime rose during the Obama Adminstration when in reality, they experienced some of the lowest violent crime rates in many years.
  • etc.
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
468
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
466
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

466 Views
Message 37 of 45

@CriticalThinking wrote:

I never said it was only a Republican issue. But I did say Republicans live in an alternate reality where the truth and facts are often irrelevant. I don't like the Democratic Party, but at least they live in the real world and mean well.


Guess what, everyone thinks this about the other guy, whether it is party, religion, whatever.  Woman Wink

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
466
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
458
Views

Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

458 Views
Message 38 of 45

I never said it was only a Republican issue. But I did say Republicans live in an alternate reality where the truth and facts are often irrelevant. I don't like the Democratic Party, but at least they live in the real world and mean well.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
458
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
454
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

454 Views
Message 39 of 45

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Ronald Reagan was a Republican, but in today's GOP, he would probably never have a shot at being elected. Reagan believed in working with the other party to come up with a bill which benefits all Americans. He was also mainstream.

 

Today's Republican Party looks at compromise as an ugly word. Today's Republican Party no longer puts America first, they put party first.

 

Today's Republican Party ignores facts, the truth, and lives in an alternate reality. This is probably the scariest element of being a Republican today.


No question but that we have a lot of polarization going on and have for quite a while. But you err to think it is a Republican thing only. JFK would have no chance today. Consider his "Ask not........" as compared to today's "We'll give you free........".

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
454
Views
Super Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
458
Views

Re: Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

458 Views
Message 40 of 45

Hey Crit - Totally agree with what you are saying...  Sooo, tell me - Are guys like RK321, Sp361 and myself (what I consider Moderates) now a minority in the Republican Party?

I am aware that for a good while, we have been largely distained by the far right guys.

Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
458
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors