Reply
Regular Contributor

Words mean something - the importance of using correct terminology

Words have meaning and often imply situations or environments that extend welll beyond the simple word used...

 

For example - and for those of you who are not snowflakes and who have not drunk the Liberal Socialist cool-aid...

 

It is - and please always refer to it as -  the DEMOCRAT PARTY.  This is important because there is NOTHING "Democratic" about the DEMOCRAT party.  We see that in the suppression of free speech, ideas different from the liberal progressive narrative etc...

 

So please, when referring to or talking about it, call it what it is: The Democrat Party and NOT, NEVER the DEMOCRATIC party as that lends a legitimacy to them that is no longer (if ever it was) applicable.

 

John Kennedy - perhaps the last middle of the road Democrat - could not survive in today's Democrat party...Imagine, if you will, a Democrat candidate standing before his multitude of followers and stating "Ask not what your country can do for you, rather ask what you can do for your country."  That candidate would today, be run out of town on a rail and summarily dismissed.

 

The objective of the Democrats (and the AARP surrogates) is to enroll as many people as possible in every possible government entitlement program so as to create a level of dependency that will require voting Democrat so as to retain the benefits, among them WIC, Welfare, Food Stamps or Snap, public housing, Medicaid, free lunch Obama phones or tablets, etc. etc.

 

Replacing individual liberty and freedom of choice in schools, religion, etc. is the long-term goal of the Democrats.

Honored Social Butterfly

I have forever tried to figure out why conservatives and liberals think so differently.  The closest I've ever come to understanding it is by reading George Lakoff's books.  He applies cognitive science to our moral/political beliefs and has come up with a "strict father" (conservative) vs. "nurturant parent" (liberal) approach.   Your outlook on how the family model functions seems to be a really good indicator of how you will view politics and how those are a reflection of today's moral beliefs.  

If anyone is interested, his basic hypothesis is explained in this book:

 

https://www.amazon.com/Moral-Politics-Liberals-Conservatives-Think/dp/0226467716

 

His newest is Your Brain's Politics, How the Science of Mind Explains the Political Divide.

 

https://www.amazon.com/Your-Brains-Politics-Explains-Political/dp/1845409213/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=U...

 

This theory explains why the biggest predictor of someone who voted for Trump was that they believe in authoritarian parenting styles.  https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201702/childrearing-beliefs-were-best-predictor-t...  

 

"Specifically, he asked whether it is more important to raise a child to be (1) respectful or independent; (2) obedient or self-reliant; (3) well-behaved or considerate; and (4) well-mannered or curious.  It turned out that these questions were, for Republicans, by far the best predictors of who planned to vote for Trump—better than gender, age, race, income, religiosity, or anything else that was asked."

 

So, my question now is,  if this "is" the difference, how to we find common ground?

Honored Social Butterfly


NerdyMom wrote: 

 

"Specifically, he asked whether it is more important to raise a child to be (1) respectful or independent; (2) obedient or self-reliant; (3) well-behaved or considerate; and (4) well-mannered or curious.  It turned out that these questions were, for Republicans, by far the best predictors of who planned to vote for Trump—better than gender, age, race, income, religiosity, or anything else that was asked."

 


Why would one assume that these qualities are mutually exclusive?? I'd like to think, for example, that a well mannered individual could be curious.

0 Kudos
457 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

NerdyMom wrote: 

 

"Specifically, he asked whether it is more important to raise a child to be (1) respectful or independent; (2) obedient or self-reliant; (3) well-behaved or considerate; and (4) well-mannered or curious.  It turned out that these questions were, for Republicans, by far the best predictors of who planned to vote for Trump—better than gender, age, race, income, religiosity, or anything else that was asked."

 


Why would one assume that these qualities are mutually exclusive?? I'd like to think, for example, that a well mannered individual could be curious.


True.   They are like that on purpose.  To force you to prioritize one over the other.   Which do you value MORE?   That is what ends up being predictive of your voting choice.

0 Kudos
579 Views
0
Report
Trusted Social Butterfly


@NerdyMom wrote:

 

"Specifically, he asked whether it is more important to raise a child to be (1) respectful or independent; (2) obedient or self-reliant; (3) well-behaved or considerate; and (4) well-mannered or curious.  It turned out that these questions were, for Republicans, by far the best predictors of who planned to vote for Trump—better than gender, age, race, income, religiosity, or anything else that was asked."

 

So, my question now is,  if this "is" the difference, how to we find common ground?


Thanks for the post.  Perhaps "they" whoever that is will wonder about that too, take it upon themselves to add to their imperfect grasp of 'things', read your links and look for more and then realize that the consequences of their actions affect others as well as themselves.  OOOOPS!

If they all do that there doesn't need to be a difference, it's all common ground, isn't it?

Honored Social Butterfly

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.

Honored Social Butterfly


@CriticalThinking wrote:

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.


Phrased in another, more accurate, way Conservatives live and think in the world of our Constitution. Progressives live and think in the world of "From each.....to each.....". One has "right wing websites" the other has "left wing web sites".

 

As to Dems and Reps - they both live in the world of "beat the other guy".

0 Kudos
450 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.


Phrased in another, more accurate, way Conservatives live and think in the world of our Constitution. Progressives live and think in the world of "From each.....to each.....". One has "right wing websites" the other has "left wing web sites".

 

As to Dems and Reps - they both live in the world of "beat the other guy".


Is that why Conservative continually try to pass unconstitutional laws?

0 Kudos
615 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.


Phrased in another, more accurate, way Conservatives live and think in the world of our Constitution. Progressives live and think in the world of "From each.....to each.....". One has "right wing websites" the other has "left wing web sites".

 

As to Dems and Reps - they both live in the world of "beat the other guy".


Is that why Conservative continually try to pass unconstitutional laws?


That comment requires a bit of expansion - a snippet does not do the job.

0 Kudos
605 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@CriticalThinking wrote:

Once again, I disagree with NYAdm. I'm not a Democrat, but at least they live in the real world where facts and the truth matter. Trump voters live in the right wing world of talk radio and right wing websites which make up their own version of reality.


What I am telling you is that each person has their own verison of reality and it is what they believe whether that is factual or not.  That was my point.  It is also impossible to fully understand another persons world view.  

 

Take unemployment.  If you, your family, your friends are all having employment issues than you may think that unemployment was terrible under President Obama (and maybe it was for you) and so when you respond to that question you would say yes.  You disregard the fact that as a percentage it was not.  What affects you directly has an impact.   Do you see what I mean?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
565 Views
22
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. 

 

Everyone today has access to the Knowledge that provides at least a Basic Understanding of Typical Issues like - Taxes - Healthcare - Wages - Education - Elections - Employment Opportunity - Etc.

 

If Family Members are Unemployed or Underemployed but they are also Honest in their search for the knowledge to answer the question Why then they would be able to answer a Question about who if anyone is responsible truthfully

 

Simply finding someone to blame is not a solution or even helpful - but unfortunately it's a easy way for too many people to think they've found the correct answer 

 

BTW - I rarely follow my own advice......................

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Honored Social Butterfly


@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>


Fact.  I am unemployed. Employment is bad for me.  

Fact Bob is employed Employment is good for Bob

 

People vote based on their own version of reality.  That is a fact 

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>


Fact.  I am unemployed. Employment is bad for me.  

Fact Bob is employed Employment is good for Bob

 

People vote based on their own version of reality.  That is a fact 

 

Succinct and to the point.

0 Kudos
459 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>


Fact.  I am unemployed. Employment is bad for me.  

Fact Bob is employed Employment is good for Bob

 

People vote based on their own version of reality.  That is a fact 

 

 


Fact.- I am unemployed = A Real Fact .................................Employment is bad for me - even if it said Unemployment is bad for me is a Opinion

 

Fact - Bob is Employed = A Real Fact...................................Employment is Good for Bob - is a opinion

 

People do Vote - Based on their version of Reality - That is also a Fact

 

But their version of Reality is a Opinion - we can all share Actual Facts and we can and should all Vote based on Actual Facts

 

What many of us do - is either share our own and/or beleive other peoples versions of Reality - and base Votes on them......................thats a Sad Fact 

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

0 Kudos
577 Views
17
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>


Fact.  I am unemployed. Employment is bad for me.  

Fact Bob is employed Employment is good for Bob

 

People vote based on their own version of reality.  That is a fact 

 

 


Fact.- I am unemployed = A Real Fact .................................Employment is bad for me - even if it said Unemployment is bad for me is a Opinion

 

Fact - Bob is Employed = A Real Fact...................................Employment is Good for Bob - is a opinion

 

People do Vote - Based on their version of Reality - That is also a Fact

 

But their version of Reality is a Opinion - we can all share Actual Facts and we can and should all Vote based on Actual Facts

 

What many of us do - is either share our own and/or beleive other peoples versions of Reality - and base Votes on them......................thats a Sad Fact 

 

 


The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Honored Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>


Fact.  I am unemployed. Employment is bad for me.  

Fact Bob is employed Employment is good for Bob

 

People vote based on their own version of reality.  That is a fact 

 

 


Fact.- I am unemployed = A Real Fact .................................Employment is bad for me - even if it said Unemployment is bad for me is a Opinion

 

Fact - Bob is Employed = A Real Fact...................................Employment is Good for Bob - is a opinion

 

People do Vote - Based on their version of Reality - That is also a Fact

 

But their version of Reality is a Opinion - we can all share Actual Facts and we can and should all Vote based on Actual Facts

 

What many of us do - is either share our own and/or beleive other peoples versions of Reality - and base Votes on them......................thats a Sad Fact 

 

 


The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.


Yeah, I guess you got me there - I injected my own Bias - Voting to me is a sacred duty and should result in improving the Country State Town Government for the Good of All and especially to insure it exists in the best shape possible for the next generation..............................

 

Some Really Smart Guy Once Said:

 

"We as Americans cannot abdicate our responsibilities and claim our rights at the same time."

 

I agree

 

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Honored Social Butterfly


mickstuder wrote:


nyadrn wrote:


mickstuder wrote:

 


The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.


Yeah, I guess you got me there - I injected my own Bias - Voting to me is a sacred duty and should result in improving the Country State Town Government for the Good of All and especially to insure it exists in the best shape possible for the next generation..............................

Some Really Smart Guy Once Said:

"We as Americans cannot abdicate our responsibilities and claim our rights at the same time."

I agree


But don't you think everyone that votes thinks they are voting for the best person for the job and for the right reasons?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
479 Views
11
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:


@nyadrn wrote:


@mickstuder wrote:

 


The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.


Yeah, I guess you got me there - I injected my own Bias - Voting to me is a sacred duty and should result in improving the Country State Town Government for the Good of All and especially to insure it exists in the best shape possible for the next generation..............................

Some Really Smart Guy Once Said:

"We as Americans cannot abdicate our responsibilities and claim our rights at the same time."

I agree


But don't you think everyone that votes thinks they are voting for the best person for the job and for the right reasons?


No and I don't think you believe that either...............................................words matter - you taught me that.........................................Everyone?

 

 

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

0 Kudos
471 Views
10
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:


@nyadrn wrote:


@mickstuder wrote:

 


The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.


Yeah, I guess you got me there - I injected my own Bias - Voting to me is a sacred duty and should result in improving the Country State Town Government for the Good of All and especially to insure it exists in the best shape possible for the next generation..............................

Some Really Smart Guy Once Said:

"We as Americans cannot abdicate our responsibilities and claim our rights at the same time."

I agree


But don't you think everyone that votes thinks they are voting for the best person for the job and for the right reasons?


No and I don't think you believe that either...............................................words matter - you taught me that.........................................Everyone?

 

 


OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
461 Views
9
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:


@nyadrn wrote:


@mickstuder wrote:

 


The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.


Yeah, I guess you got me there - I injected my own Bias - Voting to me is a sacred duty and should result in improving the Country State Town Government for the Good of All and especially to insure it exists in the best shape possible for the next generation..............................

Some Really Smart Guy Once Said:

"We as Americans cannot abdicate our responsibilities and claim our rights at the same time."

I agree


But don't you think everyone that votes thinks they are voting for the best person for the job and for the right reasons?


No and I don't think you believe that either...............................................words matter - you taught me that.........................................Everyone?

 

 


OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?


Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.

0 Kudos
464 Views
8
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

 


OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?


Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.


This does not answer my question.  I asked why someone would vote against someone that they felt was right for the job.  Being loyal to a party usually means you identify with the party platform and goals and you do feel their candidates are the best for the Nation.    

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
599 Views
4
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

 


OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?


Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.


This does not answer my question.  I asked why someone would vote against someone that they felt was right for the job.  Being loyal to a party usually means you identify with the party platform and goals and you do feel their candidates are the best for the Nation.    


Because they are too lazy and / or unable to objectively analyze a candidate and their positions.  Just being a member of a political party (any party) does not automatically mean they believe and will uphold that parties platform.  To think so is naive.  It is also the case of a many voters having an unreal picture of themselves, not realizing what their best self interests are and allowing themselves to be distracted by wedge issues.

0 Kudos
593 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

 


OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?


Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.


This does not answer my question.  I asked why someone would vote against someone that they felt was right for the job.  Being loyal to a party usually means you identify with the party platform and goals and you do feel their candidates are the best for the Nation.    


Because they are too lazy and / or unable to objectively analyze a candidate and their positions.  Just being a member of a political party (any party) does not automatically mean they believe and will uphold that parties platform.  To think so is naive.  It is also the case of a many voters having an unreal picture of themselves, not realizing what their best self interests are and allowing themselves to be distracted by wedge issues.


Well you are basically saying that people do a bad job with voting.  But again, opinion is subjective.  You have no way to know why or how someone else votes.  You are using your own opinions and suppositions, which can be accurate or very far from the truth.  Since no one has control over another's vote it is impossible to change someone else's opinion except through persuasion.  Usually, imho, you will find that trying to denigrate someone or their choices only makes them dig in deeper.

There are lazy and uninformed people in all parties.  With the two party choices you have a very limited choice to start with.  Our whole election process seems to need an overhaul.

 

 

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
588 Views
2
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

 


OK  point taken but why would someone vote against what they they was the best person for the job?


Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.


This does not answer my question.  I asked why someone would vote against someone that they felt was right for the job.  Being loyal to a party usually means you identify with the party platform and goals and you do feel their candidates are the best for the Nation.    


Because they are too lazy and / or unable to objectively analyze a candidate and their positions.  Just being a member of a political party (any party) does not automatically mean they believe and will uphold that parties platform.  To think so is naive.  It is also the case of a many voters having an unreal picture of themselves, not realizing what their best self interests are and allowing themselves to be distracted by wedge issues.


Well you are basically saying that people do a bad job with voting.  But again, opinion is subjective.  You have no way to know why or how someone else votes.  You are using your own opinions and suppositions, which can be accurate or very far from the truth.  Since no one has control over another's vote it is impossible to change someone else's opinion except through persuasion.  Usually, imho, you will find that trying to denigrate someone or their choices only makes them dig in deeper.

There are lazy and uninformed people in all parties.  With the two party choices you have a very limited choice to start with.  Our whole election process seems to need an overhaul.

 

 


If you read my post again you will realize I was talking about both parties.  And, I agree with you that our election process needs to be overhauled.

0 Kudos
581 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@sp362 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

Because they are too lazy and / or unable to objectively analyze a candidate and their positions.  Just being a member of a political party (any party) does not automatically mean they believe and will uphold that parties platform.  To think so is naive.  It is also the case of a many voters having an unreal picture of themselves, not realizing what their best self interests are and allowing themselves to be distracted by wedge issues.


Well you are basically saying that people do a bad job with voting.  But again, opinion is subjective.  You have no way to know why or how someone else votes.  You are using your own opinions and suppositions, which can be accurate or very far from the truth.  Since no one has control over another's vote it is impossible to change someone else's opinion except through persuasion.  Usually, imho, you will find that trying to denigrate someone or their choices only makes them dig in deeper.

There are lazy and uninformed people in all parties.  With the two party choices you have a very limited choice to start with.  Our whole election process seems to need an overhaul.

 


If you read my post again you will realize I was talking about both parties.  And, I agree with you that our election process needs to be overhauled.


Yes, my comments relate to voters in either or both parties.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
572 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


sp362 wrote:Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.
I believe that when a person votes for a Party it is because that they believe that Party represents more closely their thinking about what is best for America - and for them.

 

0 Kudos
461 Views
2
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

sp362 wrote:Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.
I believe that when a person votes for a Party it is because that they believe that Party represents more closely their thinking about what is best for America - and for them.

Sorry, but there are way too many examples of people blindly electing indivduals (from both parties) that do not align themselves with their party policies or government interests in order to think that doing zero research and voting a strict party line is anything but lazy ands naive.


 

0 Kudos
610 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@sp362 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

sp362 wrote:Putting loyalty to a political party (any party) above loyalty to the Nation.  It makes it really easy to vote when you don't have to critically analyze the candidates and the issues they stand for.
I believe that when a person votes for a Party it is because that they believe that Party represents more closely their thinking about what is best for America - and for them.

Sorry, but there are way too many examples of people blindly electing indivduals (from both parties) that do not align themselves with their party policies or government interests in order to think that doing zero research and voting a strict party line is anything but lazy ands naive.


 I'll have to yield to your expertise in that area. It does not describe the people I associate with although I guess they do exist.

 

It's sorta like the narrow mindedness of posters who criticize our President with all sorts of meaningless, childish term - just blind hatred.


 

0 Kudos
603 Views
0
Report
Recognized Social Butterfly


@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@mickstuder wrote:

Facts Don't Have Versions.............................they might be interpreted differently based on a persons level of Knowledge - Understanding - or Bias...........................none of that changes the Fact. >>


Fact.  I am unemployed. Employment is bad for me.  

Fact Bob is employed Employment is good for Bob

 

People vote based on their own version of reality.  That is a fact 

 

 


Fact.- I am unemployed = A Real Fact .................................Employment is bad for me - even if it said Unemployment is bad for me is a Opinion

 

Fact - Bob is Employed = A Real Fact...................................Employment is Good for Bob - is a opinion

 

People do Vote - Based on their version of Reality - That is also a Fact

 

But their version of Reality is a Opinion - we can all share Actual Facts and we can and should all Vote based on Actual Facts

 

What many of us do - is either share our own and/or beleive other peoples versions of Reality - and base Votes on them......................thats a Sad Fact 

 

 


The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.


Unfortunately you are correct and people prove that they don't look at facts time and again.  Just because it is your right, does not mean it is something you should do or the correct thing to do.  When you are on a jury do they tell you just vote however you feel, don't let facts get in the way?

0 Kudos
566 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


sp362 wrote:


nyadrn wrote:


mickstuder wrote:


nyadrn wrote:

 


The importance of words

"we should all vote based on actual facts" is an Opinion.  

Everyone has the right to vote based on whatever they want it to be based on.


Unfortunately you are correct and people prove that they don't look at facts time and again.  Just because it is your right, does not mean it is something you should do or the correct thing to do.  When you are on a jury do they tell you just vote however you feel, don't let facts get in the way?


Sorry but the two are not the same.  There is no mandate for how you decide who to vote for.  You could chose to vote for someone because of the fact that they have been in politics for 21 years but that fact could be meaningless. 

Oh and btw jurors often must decide which set of "facts" are correct.  Subjective as well.

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
0 Kudos
550 Views
1
Report
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png