Woman forced to give birth in her jail cell alone.

Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Woman forced to give birth in her jail cell alone.

Message 21 of 27

I worked in a jail, which is why this story in particular resonated with me. We have to meet a Constitutuonal level of care for people who are incarcerated. They cannot, in any way, fend for themselves. We are 100% responsible for them.

Physical movement through a jail isn’t fast. Labor, as we all know, can be very unpredictable. Crazy fast or crazy slow. Or worse, have unforeseen complications that endanger mom or baby. Why wasn’t an ambulance called immediately?  It takes time for EMTs to get into a specific holding area within a jail. Waiting for an on-call doctor is outrageous.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 27

Conservatives claim compassion and support "Right to Life" yet show none for something like this, not for the baby or the mother, when complications could have caused either or both to die. Seems hypocritical to me.

That mentally ill woman should have held an aspirin in between her knees.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 27

Since when is  “outrageous” and “inhumane” treatment. of prisoners or jailing people with mental illness  anything new in the USA?

Not sure I blame the police, they're not doctors or the wards of a psychiatric institution.

I remember way back when we used to have hospitals for people with mental illness. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 27

@ChasKy53 

According to the news bleeps, things seem to have gone ok in outcome.

Women give birth in some very unusually places sometimes and when this happens there could be nobody else around or some very unusual aid - taxi driver, cops, police, neighbor's, man on the street. Many women do it naturally-

it is an even where sometimes there is not a lot of time - labor last for different time intervals.  I said I was sorry that it came down this way and offered some suggestion on how the institution could have handled it better.  I said I was glad they are OK - 

Perhaps this situation could have been deem her a threat to herself and definitely another person and she could have been institutionalized during her pregnancy - Now perhaps the baby will have to go through detox, turned over to Social Services and after a lengthy court proceeding during which the kid will be in foster care, the kid can either be taken away from her by court action or she will just relinquish custody, the kid will be adopted out and perhaps have a life being happy, joyous and free.

We do the best we can when situations have to be cleaned up for all involved.  The mentally ill woman can go on with her life, with right intact via Olmstead.  She can be put on medication if deemed to help her, at least until she decides she doesn't want to take them.

We can have all the compassion we want to have - but in the end, we just keep having to clean up the messes because we cannot live the life of others.  But for the Grace of God, go I.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 27

@GailL1 wrote:

As bad as this was, it is sad to say, it might have been better than where she could have had the kid.

Jackson, 34, was arrested by BSO in late March. According to records from the Broward County Clerk of Court, she’d been arrested in January on cocaine possession charges and released, but failed to report for pretrial services so a warrant was issued for her arrest. She was also charged with trespassing, sleeping on a public street and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Since the day she was arrested, Finkelstein said, the Broward Sheriff’s Office was aware of her pregnancy. She was placed in an infirmary so her medical issues could be monitored, according to the public defender. “Not only was Ms. Jackson’s health callously ignored, the life of her child was also put at grave risk,” Finkelstein wrote.

Jackson underwent a competency evaluation late last month, according to the court docket in her case. Weekes declined to detail Jackson’s mental illness, but described it as “significant.”

I guess she couldn't or didn't tell them how far along she was, assuming the birth was at full term.

Guess the doc couldn't get there any faster -

If this had been REAL police, many of them are trained to deliver. 

Maybe they should have called the Fire Dept.

Glad the kid and the woman are doing OK - sorry, I just could not call her a "mother".

Conservatives claim compassion and support "Right to Life" yet show none for something like this, not for the baby or the mother, when complications could have caused either or both to die. Seems hypocritical to me.

Democrats in 2020
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 27

As bad as this was, it is sad to say, it might have been better than where she could have had the kid.

Jackson, 34, was arrested by BSO in late March. According to records from the Broward County Clerk of Court, she’d been arrested in January on cocaine possession charges and released, but failed to report for pretrial services so a warrant was issued for her arrest. She was also charged with trespassing, sleeping on a public street and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Since the day she was arrested, Finkelstein said, the Broward Sheriff’s Office was aware of her pregnancy. She was placed in an infirmary so her medical issues could be monitored, according to the public defender. “Not only was Ms. Jackson’s health callously ignored, the life of her child was also put at grave risk,” Finkelstein wrote.

Jackson underwent a competency evaluation late last month, according to the court docket in her case. Weekes declined to detail Jackson’s mental illness, but described it as “significant.”

I guess she couldn't or didn't tell them how far along she was, assuming the birth was at full term.

Guess the doc couldn't get there any faster -

If this had been REAL police, many of them are trained to deliver. 

Maybe they should have called the Fire Dept.

Glad the kid and the woman are doing OK - sorry, I just could not call her a "mother".

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Message 27 of 27

This is a big mess of incompetence, and apparently this is a specialized jail for more acute needs like mental illness and significant physical health concerns. I’d hate to see what their regular jails are like.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/05/04/mentally-ill-woman-gives-birth-alone-broward-county...

Tammy Jackson was ushered into an empty jail cell by sheriffs. Then one morning, she was there with someone else: her newborn baby.

According to a letter dated May 3, written by Broward County public defender Howard Finkelstein, the full-term 34-year-old with a mental illness began complaining to officers about contractions around 3 a.m., April 10, the Miami Herald first reported.

More than four hours later, members of the sheriff’s office spoke to the on-call doctor, who said "he would check when he arrived,” according to Finkelstein. And when the physician clocked in, he did.

That was around 10 a.m.

For the seven preceding hours, Jackson was locked in a jail cell, alone. She was bleeding, in labor, and then forced to birth her baby on her own — conduct which Finkelstein called “outrageous” and “inhumane” treatment.

The North Broward Bureau, where Jackson was held, is a “special needs detention facility” that houses “mentally ill, medically infirm and special needs” inmates among its 1,200 person population, according to its website.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Top Authors