Honored Social Butterfly

With violent crime on the rise in Mpls., City Council asks: Where are the police?

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/09/15/with-violent-crime-on-the-rise-in-mpls-city-council-asks-wh...

Part of the link...

The meeting was slated as a Minneapolis City Council study session on police reform.

But for much of the two-hour meeting, council members told police Chief Medaria Arradondo that their constituents are seeing and hearing street racing which sometimes results in crashes, brazen daylight carjackings, robberies, assaults and shootings. And they asked Arradondo what the department is doing about it. 

"Residents are asking, ‘Where are the police’?” said Jamal Osman, newly elected council member of Ward 6.  He said he's already been inundated with complaints from residents that calls for police aren’t being answered.

“That is the only public safety option they have at the moment. MPD. They rely on MPD. And they are saying they are nowhere to be seen,” Osman said.

Just months after leading an effort that would have defunded the police department, City Council members at Tuesday’s work session pushed chief Medaria Arradondo to tell them how the department is responding to the violence.  

The number of reported violent crimes, like assaults, robberies and homicides are up compared to 2019, according to MPD crime data. More people have been killed in the city in the first nine months of 2020 than were slain in all of last year. Property crimes, like burglaries and auto thefts, are also up. Incidents of arson have increased 55 percent over the total at this point in 2019.

Arradondo said around 100 officers have left the department or have taken leave since the beginning of 2020. That’s more than double the usual number of officers who either step down from the department or who are inactive each year.

==============================================================

This is a problem when a city is run by Democrats.  

Police are made out as the "bad guys".  I see it on this board, one poster has done his best to start threads about our police, all negative toward our police....you reap what you sow and Minneapolis is getting theirs thanks to their Democratic administration. 

The number of applications for police are down.  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.city-journal.org/police-recruitment-crisis

Across the United States, from cities to rural counties, police departments are confronting a recruitment crisis. “Going back to 2010, we had about 4,700 online applications. That dropped down to about 1,900 last year,” said Steve Anderson, chief of the Metropolitan Nashville Police Department, in a Police Executive Research Forum (PERF) report last year. Seattle’s police department reported a 40 percent to 50 percent drop in applications, while Jefferson County, Colorado’s applications plummeted 70 percent. In total, 86 percent of police chiefs nationwide reported a shortage of sworn officers, with nearly half stating that the shortage had worsened over the past five years.

======================================================

It's not hard to see why fewer are seeking to join the police force.

Social Butterfly

As i said before, it's unfortunate that the communities have to suffer because of the cowardly lack of leadership.  But i'm like, seriously...what in the world did ya'll expect after your deliberate lack of support for your police!

Minneapolis City Council complains about lack of policing amid rising crime months after voting to defund dept

Jamal Osman, one of the council members, said that the Minneapolis Police Department is the'only public safety option' but yet the residents are saying 'they are nowhere to be seen'

You can lead a Liberal to knowledge, but you can't make'em THINK! 😞
Trump 2020!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

As i said before, it's unfortunate that the communities have to suffer because of the cowardly lack of leadership.  But i'm like, seriously...what in the world did ya'll expect after your deliberate lack of support for your police!  We in Minneapolis don't think it's appropriate for the Police to snuff out a man's life over a suspected fake $20.00.  The Police have killed many innocent blacks in the Twin Cities...many insensitive whites don't get it.....equal justice still confuses them.....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal 

And your articles are way off the believability chart!

Lacy Johnson again, far right candidate. 

Common sense folks have already grasped the truth, trump supporters are trying to catch up, or don’t care. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Nothing new here, the Right continues to redefine things to suit their false claims.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Social Butterfly

ChasKy53 wrote:

Nothing new here, the Right continues to redefine things to suit their false claims.

sunluvngal:  

And the Left continues to twist words to suit their agenda.

Kinda like ya'lls idea that defund vs redirect funds from the police are two totally different things.  Ay yi yi 

If it wasn't so important, it would be funny.democrats and TRUTH AWESOME Sept 2020.jpg

Trump 2020!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal 

Many posters gave sites for information, and you gave the daily mail...I think that you may be outnumbered here...and a repub rep candidate is used as a prop in the article makes it suspect. 
And the continued twisting of the truth...

trump supporters are very good at that. 
Always remember:

the truth is not hateful, it is just the truth

Social Butterfly

williamb39198 wrote:

@sunluvngal 

Many posters gave sites for information, and you gave the daily mail...I think that you may be outnumbered here...and a repub rep candidate is used as a prop in the article makes it suspect. 

Always remember:

sunluvngal:

lol  Being outnumbered has never been a concern of mine, truth THAT is all i care about.  I post something and what others do with it is, also, of no concern to me. 

Sometimes one just has to agree to disagree...it's all good.

truth AWESOME mAY 2020.jpg

Trump 2020!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:
williamb39198 wrote:

@sunluvngal 

Always remember:

sunluvngal:

lol  Being outnumbered has never been a concern of mine, truth THAT is all i care about. 

No it's not all I care about, in fact, I don't care about that at all. What I do care about is others here believing lies, presenting them to me from lying sources, and trying to make me believe it.

You can lead a liberal to lies and false information but can never make 'em  believe it !

Honored Social Butterfly

lol  Being outnumbered has never been a concern of mine, truth THAT is all i care about.  I post something and what others do with it is, also, of no concern to me. 

Sometimes one just has to agree to disagree...it's all good.

"When your story does not agree with the facts, the statistics, the studies, the science or the majority of your fellow citizens, it is time to revise the assessment of your position." Richva

Honored Social Butterfly

Yeah. I posted the statistics about violent crime actually decreasing in America but that did not fit the myth the regressives are pushing. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@Richva wrote:

Yeah. I posted the statistics about violent crime actually decreasing in America but that did not fit the myth the regressives are pushing. 

When tRump loses the election his gun touting camo wearing core base will get violent and blame in on a 'rigged election'. The truth is that all but the naive and tRump's core base stopped believing his lies.

Social Butterfly

'Residents say police are nowhere to be seen': 'Alarmed' Minneapolis City Council demands answers from its police chief over 15 percent rise in violent crime - two months after slashing his budget by $1m

• Councilors expressed alarm during a Council business meeting on Tuesday
  • At the meeting, they questioned Minneapolis' police Chief Medaria Arradondo
  • Data shows an increase of almost 15 per cent in violent crime in 2020 from 2019
  • Homicide, robbery, aggravated assault, burglary, auto theft and arson are all up
  • This comes after the council voted to redirect $1 million from the MPD's budget
  • GOP congressional candidate Lacy Johnson slammed council as 'hypocrites' 
  • Council voted two months ago to amend city charter to dismantle the police 

sunluvngal:

Amazing isn't it...how simply "redirecting" (defunding) funds can cause alarm by the very people that voted to "redirect" (defund) those funds.  I repeat, they are getting their just deserved.  Unfortunately their community also suffers because of the councils, Governors, Mayors and other so called leaders and their radical beliefs, actions and stupidity.  And Minneapolis is not the only city or state where the communties have suffered because of the lack of leadership and it's brain dead cowards.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8743923/Minneapolis-City-Council-alarmed-surge-violent-crim...

Trump 2020!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

I think we need to repost what Richva said earlier. 

Statistically, violent crimes are down across the nation.  Murder declined in Chicago, again.   There were continuing low violent crime rates in New York City and San Francisco. Overall, property crimes are down 5 percent overall, with the number of reported burglaries falling 16 percent

Of course, we don't expect Republicans to understand math or science and especially when it does not fit their mythology.  But, it is good to know who is lying. 

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/takeaways-2019-crime-data-major-american-cit... 

Honored Social Butterfly

"Redirecting" how some of the police funding is spent is not synonymous with "defunding".  Why can't people get a clue about that?  Building and fashioning our police departments like they were the military is not going to solve our police problems, it will only intensify them.

Social Butterfly

ChasKy53 wrote:

"Redirecting" how some of the police funding is spent is not synonymous with "defunding".  Why can't people get a clue about that?  Building and fashioning our police departments like they were the military is not going to solve our polie problems, it will only intensify them.

sunluvngal:

lol  Yep, that's the spin biden is trying to get people to believe too. But most of us know better, thank goodness.  Those that think like you seem to, need to talk to the Police Chiefs and many other law enforcement that are quitting their jobs because of funds being "redirected" from their  law enforcement departments.

It's sad that there are some that, actually, believe that redirecting funds is not the same as defunding.  UNbelievable!

Trump 2020!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:
ChasKy53 wrote:

"Redirecting" how some of the police funding is spent is not synonymous with "defunding".  Why can't people get a clue about that?  Building and fashioning our police departments like they were the military is not going to solve our polie problems, it will only intensify them.

sunluvngal:

lol  Yep, that's the spin biden is trying to get people to believe too. But most of us know better, thank goodness.  Those that think like you seem to, need to talk to the Police Chiefs and many other law enforcement that are quitting their jobs because of funds being "redirected" from their  law enforcement departments.

It's sad that there are some that, actually, believe that redirecting funds is not the same as defunding.  UNbelievable!

No "spin", just facts that some trump lovers and those that believe in a police state have a hard time grasping.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

No "spin", just facts that some trump lovers and those that believe in a police state have a hard time grasping.

You can only just shake your head and wonder, Chas!  With all the research some claim to do, it's a wonder they haven't researched the differences.  I like those who care to learn.

They are equivalent synonyms.

The idea of defunding police is that police departments have been offered increased money that is often misspent. After 9/11 and with large numbers of veterans, rank and file police departments started spending more money on military training, more money on heavier weapons, more money on expensive cruisers with larger engines and designs intended for ramming, and that this was misspent in terms of value per dollar.

Defunding implies that police departments have failed because they are hammers, not peace organizations. Low crime countries in Europe often have police departments with varied and special tasked units to handle a wide range of services, many of which are not armed and are equipped with lower powered and less expensive equipment.

Further, police departments have, in many cases, totally missed the mental health boat for officers, and have been forced to spend money on local jails (a problem faced by county law enforcement) as more and more nonviolent people are given longer and longer sentences.

Next, many in the public still claim that local police are actually very inefficient. If you call the police about kids trespassing in your yard, noise, domestic violence, threatening, or petty theft local police will often take a report and ignore the issue. They are not trained for investigation of small issues, are not trained for community negotiation, and feel their work is best spent patrolling for “bad guys.”

Finally, studies show pervasive racism in police departments that police forces have known about and been given decades to fix by changing who they hire and how they are trained. If thirty years in they cannot change, or start to backslide in the Trump era as the Federal government becomes more permissive to totalitarian policing tactics, then a fundamental change must happen.

The theory of defunding police is that you need some threat response officers like you need some ladder trucks in a fire department. However, having all ladders and no paramedics, fire inspectors, ambulance services, pumpers, general response, brush and field response, and the like is absurd.

So, a police department has proven it cannot control racism and is only good at use of force, let them be the use of force team and distribute the services. In many cases more serious policing moves from small communities to county or state level and is shared.

1. Create a community ombudsman office with data collection rights inside the police. Use retired police, clergy, and community members to staff this.
  2. Let all the officers go from regular service, but rehire the officers with clean jackets and interviews with better pay and a strong mental health infrastructure. If a use of force officer goes off the rails send them down the rank to a lower policing duty rather than fire them, allowing them to heal.
  3. Create a special response team for things like gangs hiring the most stable and tactically efficient officers. These teams are much more aggressive and paramilitary in some aspects, and much less aggressive in others, confronting gangs in a nuanced manner.
  4. Interview officers for special teams. These teams are domestic negotiation, minor crimes investigation, standard traffic, school security, community issues, and mental health. These teams are not authorized weapons in most cases and would be the first responders with some cross training, carrying less expensive equipment.
  5. Create a national database of police and their training and skills. Officers could cross state lines for employment.

Thus money is taken from armed response teams and moved to more specialized teams, while the armed response is paid better with better mental health and higher standards of training.

What is the difference between "defunding" the police and "redirecting" police funds? 

Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@sunluvngal wrote:
ChasKy53 wrote:

sunluvngal:

sunluvngal:

lol  And the Trump haters and deniers of the truth, choose to believe the lies that the cowardly duo biden-harris and their cohorts are spinning.  They are both chameleons and liars...they say what they think will get the vote.  Period.

Trump 2020!!!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

sunluvngal:

lol  And the Trump haters and deniers of the truth, choose to believe the lies that the cowardly duo biden-harris and their cohorts are spinning.  They are both chameleons and liars...they say what they think will get the vote.  Period.

Why is it that the Right only resorts to slander and attacks and not actually justify their positions with facts? Those who coined the phrase "defund the police" have explained what they meant by it only to have it fall on deaf ears. Deny, Disract, and Discredit is all trump supporters seem to have anymore.

Honored Social Butterfly

@KidBoy2 wrote:

It's not hard to see why fewer are seeking to join the police force.

Yeah ..... well that may change when lawless and disorder Trump is voted out of office!

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

Honored Social Butterfly

1 (1).jpg

trump party planning their next cycle of lies.....

Social Butterfly

LOL  Some say ignorance is bliss...doesn't seem to be turning out that way for the likes of lisa bender and that council.  I laughed my bleep (self censoring lol)  off when i saw her asking this on the news recently.  Seriously, what did the radical nincompoops expect!?!?

I LOVE it...they're getting their just deserve.  Defund the police indeed and then wonder where the police are when THEY want'em.  UNbelievable!  I just wonder if the ninnies have learned anything from their stupidity.  It will be interesting to find out...

biden trump and police GOOD july 2020.jpg

Trump 2020!!!
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

LOL  Some say ignorance is bliss...

Actually, you can lead a liberal to lies but you cannot make 'em believe them !  LOL !!!

Honored Social Butterfly

If Municipalities have procedures which avoid executing unarmed Black men, and enforce them by firing, arresting, and charging the offending officers, I’m  sure they would see a real decrease in the riots and demonstrations. 
Denial, stonewalling, and lying about circumstances will not get it. 

Honored Social Butterfly

Well said, Chasky.  It's a hoot when some wish to distort the facts they THINK they heard, or understood, in your City.  The lies are just simply stupid.  You would think they actually believe the lies and spew spit out by trump and his campaign....they really seem to have very low expectations of their voters.......

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Well said, Chasky.  It's a hoot when some wish to distort the facts they THINK they heard, or understood, in your City.  The lies are just simply stupid.  You would think they actually believe the lies and spew spit out by trump and his campaign....they really seem to have very low expectations of their voters.......

Aw thanks, some of us have to correct or call out the lies from tRump and some supporters, goodness knows there are so many .......

Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

LOL  Some say ignorance is bliss...doesn't seem to be turning out that way for the likes of lisa bender and that council.  I laughed my bleep (self censoring lol)  off when i saw her asking this on the news recently.  Seriously, what did the radical nincompoops expect!?!?

I LOVE it...they're getting their just deserve.  Defund the police indeed and then wonder where the police are when THEY want'em.  UNbelievable!  I just wonder if the ninnies have learned anything from their stupidity.  It will be interesting to find out...

Biden does NOT support defunding the police.    Please check your "facts."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jul/10/mike-pence/biden-open-shifting-some-police-money-h...

"I don't support defunding the police," Biden told CBS News in a clip aired June 8. "I support conditioning federal aid to police, based on whether or not they meet certain basic standards of decency and honorableness — and, in fact, are able to demonstrate they can protect the community and everybody in the community."

You can't possibly have a problem with police acting decently and honorably, right?  

Social Butterfly

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@sunluvngal wrote:

Biden does NOT support defunding the police.    Please check your "facts."

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/jul/10/mike-pence/biden-open-shifting-some-police-money-h...

"I don't support defunding the police," Biden told CBS News in a clip aired June 8. "I support conditioning federal aid to police, based on whether or not they meet certain basic standards of decency and honorableness — and, in fact, are able to demonstrate they can protect the community and everybody in the community."

You can't possibly have a problem with police acting decently and honorably, right?  

sunluvngal:

I KNOW the facts, and biden AND harris AND aoc AND bernie (his new pals) do indeed support defunding the police.  I believe he changed it to REDIRECTING monies away from and to other departments.  Call it redirecting if that works for you, BUT redirecting is taking away monies from (defunding) the police. So i suggest you check your "facts".

biden changes according to what he thinks is gonna get him a vote, so he changes his stance constantly...no guts.

Your (supposed) question saying:  'You can't possibly have a problem with police acting decently and honorably, right?"  Is an insult to any decent human being, of which i am one!

However, unlike the radicals, i happen to believe the decent and honorable police are the majority...not the few. 

Trump 2020!!!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png