AARP members get more! Take a look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Wish the Covington Nazi luck with his lawsuit

Message 21 of 29

Remember, the kid did not place himself in the situation, he was approached by the activist and naturally the cameras followed.

I wasn't there to see it in person, all I can do is form opinions from film clips, what I read in different accounts, and my experience of how people behave, particularly teenagers.

The opinion I formed was he came prepared with his red hat and when he got the chance made a name for himself.

It's understandable he and his family don't care for the name, but he is the one who decided to behave that way and his parents didn't have good sense to keep him out of that situation and protect him from basically being himself.

I think it's terrible children were used as props for a protest and a political statement, they should have been protected from the  potential consequences of being themselves.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 29

@rk9152 wrote:

Calling the kid a "Nazi" shows how far down the path of blind-hatred some have gone.

That's a vile and uncalled for insult to Nazis, racists, and other right wing human garbage.

He's far worse than that...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 29

@rk9152 wrote:

Calling the kid a "Nazi" shows how far down the path of blind-hatred some have gone.

Much more like a keen observation of "it it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is a duck".  

I have to admit, the first clue was his red MAGA hat.  It has been said that the grandchildren of the 90's would be shocked to find grampa's white hood.  The grandchildren of the 2030's will be equally shocked to find grampa's MAGA hat. 

It does not matter if I hate the little weasel. It matters if they can prove their case in court. They cannot. The truth is the ultimate defense against a claim of liable. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 29

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 29

@gruffstuff wrote:

Wish the Covington Nazi luck with his lawsuit

Put a red hat on and attend a public rally in Washington DC and you're engaging in political speech.

Put yourself out front and puff your self up to make yourself the object of attention and preform for the media circus.

Anyone see it any other way?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Remember, the kid did not place himself in the situation, he was approached by the activist and naturally the cameras followed.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 29

@Richva wrote:

The parents of a MAGA hatted  Nazi at the center of a confrontation between his storm trooper wanna-bes and a group of Native Americans has filed a lawsuit against the Washington Post.  They are claiming the Post bullied their little snowflake by reporting the facts. They will have a real uphill battle showing that the Post should not have reported what actually happened and what was actually said. But the, they are all Trump fans and we know what a tenuous relationship HE has with the truth. 

The family of the Kentucky teen who was involved in an encounter with a Native American advocate at the Lincoln Memorial last month filed a defamation lawsuit against The Washington Post on Tuesday, seeking $250 million in damages for its coverage of the incident.

The suit alleges that The Post “targeted and bullied” 16-year-old Nicholas Sandmann in order to embarrass President Trump. Sandmann was one of a number of students from Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky who were wearing red “Make America Great Again” hats during a trip to the Mall when they encountered Nathan Phillips, a Native American activist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-washington-post-sued-by-family-of-covington-catho...

I’ll take hundreds of your so called MAGA hatted Nazis over your beloved, lying, valor stealing, attention grabbing rabel rousing, poor excuse for a native American.

“MAGA hatted Nazi”. What a horrible, lie!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 29

I guess I will have to go back and read three days’ worth of WaPo articles on this. Just some initial thoughts:

How has Sandmann been materially harmed? If he gets denied entry to colleges or something similar, that’s harm.  But has anything like that happened?

If WaPo attributed these statesments to other sources or speakers, it’s pretty safe.  If it stated opinions, it’s safe. If it stated “falsehoods as facts,” it’s not so safe. But we’ve seen time and time again much of America doesn’t know the difference between fact and opinion.

Sandmann has the burden of proof that false statements were actually false, and that they were made either negligently or with intent to harm him.  The negligence goes to journalistic standards. Which I can’t comment on past whether they attributed the comments to sources.  There definitely was no intent to personally harm this kid. The assertion the paper tried to intentionally harm him because he’s a white catholic boy wearing a MAGA hat is ridiculous. 

I don’t know if there is current caselaw on how these things play out when they go viral across multiple media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, etc., shared by millions of private users.  Because that, more than any WaPo Article, is what made him famous.  Or notorious. But you can’t get a settlement out of millions of social media users. You can try to get it out of one newspaper.  

If it survives a motion to dismiss, it will be fascinating to follow. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 29

Put a red hat on and attend a public rally in Washington DC and you're engaging in political speech.

Put yourself out front and puff your self up to make yourself the object of attention and preform for the media circus.

Anyone see it any other way?

Yeah, good luck with that.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Message 29 of 29

The parents of a MAGA hatted  Nazi at the center of a confrontation between his storm trooper wanna-bes and a group of Native Americans has filed a lawsuit against the Washington Post.  They are claiming the Post bullied their little snowflake by reporting the facts. They will have a real uphill battle showing that the Post should not have reported what actually happened and what was actually said. But the, they are all Trump fans and we know what a tenuous relationship HE has with the truth. 

The family of the Kentucky teen who was involved in an encounter with a Native American advocate at the Lincoln Memorial last month filed a defamation lawsuit against The Washington Post on Tuesday, seeking $250 million in damages for its coverage of the incident.

The suit alleges that The Post “targeted and bullied” 16-year-old Nicholas Sandmann in order to embarrass President Trump. Sandmann was one of a number of students from Covington Catholic High School in Kentucky who were wearing red “Make America Great Again” hats during a trip to the Mall when they encountered Nathan Phillips, a Native American activist.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/the-washington-post-sued-by-family-of-covington-catho...

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs