Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Will the Democratic party move towards the middle in 2018?

Message 21 of 40

@mandm84 wrote:

See that's the problem NOT !!! Your true colors are showing !!! A Republican reaches across the table and moves from the Far Right for the better of the majority of American's and you blast them. It's only about you and only your way ??? 

That's not how Congress was made to function !!!

The people that voted for Trump want the things he promised and not "the old way".  That's what the far left doesn't understand.  It's not about what I want but what the people want (that voted for Trump).  So do you think the 3 dissenters will be voted in as Democrats?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 40

See that's the problem NOT !!! Your true colors are showing !!! A Republican reaches across the table and moves from the Far Right for the better of the majority of American's and you blast them. It's only about you and only your way ??? 

That's not how Congress was made to function !!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 40

@mandm84 wrote:

It took 3 Moderate Republicans to squash the GOP's " Mean " Healthkill Bill. I applaud those 3 for standing up for the good of the people they represent !!!

Those RINOs won't win next time.  Do you think they will run as Democrats?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 40

It took 3 Moderate Republicans to squash the GOP's " Mean " Healthkill Bill. I applaud those 3 for standing up for the good of the people they represent !!!

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 40

@Snoopy48 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@gordyfl wrote:

"...imagine a Democrat today saying, 'Ask not what your country can do for you..........'"

I was perplexed by those worlds as well. Those words didn't sound like they would come from today's Democrat. But here's one's take on those famous words:

'Like A Splash Of Water'
"I could go to graduate school, I could go to law school," she says. "Before I heard 'the speech' I was thinking of being a journalist, a war correspondent as a matter of fact."
I remember feeling very invigorated by it. Feeling at the end of the speech, man, this really makes me want to do something, to contribute.
She remembers feeling like Kennedy wasn't addressing the nation, he was addressing her. And "he was talking about public service," she says.
She'd never considered public service until that day, until his words hit her "like a splash of water," as she puts it.
In 1962, Shalala was one of many young Americans who joined the newly-formed Peace Corps, an organization she called, "the embodiment of President Kennedy's call to our generation for service."
Shalala went to a mud village in southern Iran, part of the Peace Corps' first batch of volunteers. It was a learning experience for everyone, she says. All the Iranians knew was that these kids were sent to help by an "energetic young president." And because of that, she says, they were welcomed.

Another JFK speech was about Medicare. In this clip, JFK makes an argument for universal health care at Madison square garden, NY. He talks about universal healthcare in other countries and believes the US should start with seniors first (Medicare). 

At the time, there were well known Republicans opposed to Medicare. Since then, Republicans have "moved left", so to speak, on this issue.

• Bob Dole: In 1996, while running for the presidency, Dole stated that he was one of 12 House members who voted against creating Medicare in 1965. “I was there, fighting the fight, voting against Medicare ... because we knew it wouldn’t work in 1965.”

• Barry Goldwater: “Having given our pensioners their medical care in kind, why not food baskets, why not public housing accommodations, why not vacation resorts, why not a ration of cigarettes for those who smoke and of beer for those who drink.”

• Ronald Reagan: “If you don’t and I don’t do it, one of these days you and I are going to spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it once was like in America when men were free.”

• George H.W. Bush: Described Medicare in 1964 as “socialized medicine.”

I don't know if it is a case of moving left or a case of pragmatism. Once a dependency is established, it is near impossible to end it.That is why I have been saying all along that we are stuck with Obamacare.

Shalala's situation was interesting. She was moved by JFK to help others (personally). That is a far cry from the modern Progressive who sees the redistribution of the product others people's efforts as the goal. 

We should all take a lesson from the modern conservative - redistribute the product of people's efforts from the poor to the rich.

Do you have any thoughts on the discussion chain of this topic - JFK, Donna Shalala, Goldwater, Reagan, maybe the Peace Corp? Do you really not see the difference between Donna Shalala's approach and wealth redistribution?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 40

@rk9152 wrote:

@gordyfl wrote:

"...imagine a Democrat today saying, 'Ask not what your country can do for you..........'"

I was perplexed by those worlds as well. Those words didn't sound like they would come from today's Democrat. But here's one's take on those famous words:

'Like A Splash Of Water'
"I could go to graduate school, I could go to law school," she says. "Before I heard 'the speech' I was thinking of being a journalist, a war correspondent as a matter of fact."
I remember feeling very invigorated by it. Feeling at the end of the speech, man, this really makes me want to do something, to contribute.
She remembers feeling like Kennedy wasn't addressing the nation, he was addressing her. And "he was talking about public service," she says.
She'd never considered public service until that day, until his words hit her "like a splash of water," as she puts it.
In 1962, Shalala was one of many young Americans who joined the newly-formed Peace Corps, an organization she called, "the embodiment of President Kennedy's call to our generation for service."
Shalala went to a mud village in southern Iran, part of the Peace Corps' first batch of volunteers. It was a learning experience for everyone, she says. All the Iranians knew was that these kids were sent to help by an "energetic young president." And because of that, she says, they were welcomed.

Another JFK speech was about Medicare. In this clip, JFK makes an argument for universal health care at Madison square garden, NY. He talks about universal healthcare in other countries and believes the US should start with seniors first (Medicare). 

At the time, there were well known Republicans opposed to Medicare. Since then, Republicans have "moved left", so to speak, on this issue.

• Bob Dole: In 1996, while running for the presidency, Dole stated that he was one of 12 House members who voted against creating Medicare in 1965. “I was there, fighting the fight, voting against Medicare ... because we knew it wouldn’t work in 1965.”

• Barry Goldwater: “Having given our pensioners their medical care in kind, why not food baskets, why not public housing accommodations, why not vacation resorts, why not a ration of cigarettes for those who smoke and of beer for those who drink.”

• Ronald Reagan: “If you don’t and I don’t do it, one of these days you and I are going to spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it once was like in America when men were free.”

I don't know if it is a case of moving left or a case of pragmatism. Once a dependency is established, it is near impossible to end it.That is why I have been saying all along that we are stuck with Obamacare.

Shalala's situation was interesting. She was moved by JFK to help others (personally). That is a far cry from the modern Progressive who sees the redistribution of the product others people's efforts as the goal. 

We should all take a lesson from the modern conservative - redistribute the product of people's efforts from the poor to the rich.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 40

@KidBoy2 wrote:
gordyfl posted..

I recently read that roughly 70% of Americans now are living paycheck to paycheck.

===================================================
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-average-family-saved-for-retirement-2016-3

Nearly half of American families have no retirement account savings at all.

That's what the Economic Policy Institute (EPI) found in a new report, "The State of American Retirement," which dives into the retirement preparedness of American workers.

The EPI broke down the percentage of families with retirement savings by age. Those between 56 and 61 are more likely to have an account (61%), while those between 32 and 37 are least likely to have one (51%). Scroll over the chart to see how the percentages have changed for different age groups over time:

The average retirement savings of all American families is $95,776, but there is more to that number than meets the eye. Since so many families have no savings, the median — 50th percentile — family has just $5,000 saved.

The median for families with savings accounts is $60,000:

========================================================

The biggest problem is our Congress. In an effort to get votes give voters the impression that it's up to our government to take care of you when you retire. No need to save for retirement .

It's time that our politicians tell people that they have a responsibility to save for retirement.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Investing $100 Monthly: An Example
Now suppose the same 30-year-old investor finds a way to save an additional $100 per month. He contributes the extra $100 to his portfolio and keeps reinvesting his dividends and interest payments. His investment still earns 8% per year. For simplicity's sake, assume compounding takes place once per year in January.

After a 30-year period, thanks to compound returns and a small monthly contribution, his portfolio will grow to $186,253.14 (as compared to $50,313.28 without the monthly contributions). While $186,253.14 is not enough money to retire on, especially after 30 years of inflation, remember that this is just with $100 a month in contributions and returns below historical averages.

Suppose the annual return is 9%, which is closer to historical averages for a 30-year period. With a $5,000 principal and $100 monthly contributions, the portfolio grows to $229,907.44. If the investor is able to save $200 a month for contributions, the future value of his portfolio is $393,476.48.

So do you recommend that they don't eat or that they live on the street to get that extra $100 a month?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 40

@gordyfl wrote:

'Like A Splash Of Water'

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 40

'Like A Splash Of Water'

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 40

@mandm84 wrote:

Will the Republican party move to the middle ?

Sadly, we have drifted so far left that they do seem to the right.

Example, just imagine a Democrat today saying, "Ask not what your country can do for you..........". He would be condemned as a radical right winger - or worse, a free market capitalist.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors