Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Will the Democratic party move towards the middle in 2018?

Message 31 of 40
gordyfl posted..

I recently read that roughly 70% of Americans now are living paycheck to paycheck.

===================================================
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-much-average-family-saved-for-retirement-2016-3

Nearly half of American families have no retirement account savings at all.

That's what the Economic Policy Institute (EPI) found in a new report, "The State of American Retirement," which dives into the retirement preparedness of American workers.

The EPI broke down the percentage of families with retirement savings by age. Those between 56 and 61 are more likely to have an account (61%), while those between 32 and 37 are least likely to have one (51%). Scroll over the chart to see how the percentages have changed for different age groups over time:

The average retirement savings of all American families is $95,776, but there is more to that number than meets the eye. Since so many families have no savings, the median — 50th percentile — family has just $5,000 saved.

The median for families with savings accounts is $60,000:

========================================================

The biggest problem is our Congress. In an effort to get votes give voters the impression that it's up to our government to take care of you when you retire. No need to save for retirement .

It's time that our politicians tell people that they have a responsibility to save for retirement.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Investing $100 Monthly: An Example
Now suppose the same 30-year-old investor finds a way to save an additional $100 per month. He contributes the extra $100 to his portfolio and keeps reinvesting his dividends and interest payments. His investment still earns 8% per year. For simplicity's sake, assume compounding takes place once per year in January.

After a 30-year period, thanks to compound returns and a small monthly contribution, his portfolio will grow to $186,253.14 (as compared to $50,313.28 without the monthly contributions). While $186,253.14 is not enough money to retire on, especially after 30 years of inflation, remember that this is just with $100 a month in contributions and returns below historical averages.

Suppose the annual return is 9%, which is closer to historical averages for a 30-year period. With a $5,000 principal and $100 monthly contributions, the portfolio grows to $229,907.44. If the investor is able to save $200 a month for contributions, the future value of his portfolio is $393,476.48.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 40

I doubt Kasich will run as an Independent. If Trump doesn't run for a second term, for whatever reason, I believe Kasich will run as a Republican.

I won't vote for him because of his hard line against Social Security - another popular issue with voters.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 40

R's move slightly left???  

Speculation has it that Gov. Kasich and some of the more moderate, level-headed R's, and never-Trump R's, might form a 3rd party to oppose the Party of Trump in 2020. Whether they form a 3rd party or not, they clearly want a divorce from Trump, and have said as much.

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 40

I recently read that roughly 70% of Americans now are living paycheck to paycheck.

If either party wants to win votes they must address the issue of growing income and wealth inequality - our economic imbalance.

Obama ran on what was perceived to be universal government run healthcare. He won. People now accept the government getting involved in healthcare. As we saw, the people would not accept a "repeal" without a "replace", and the politicians knew it.

Another election winner would be using antitrust to break up powerful monopolies on Wall Street, Big Pharma, and other giants. Teddy Roosevelt ran, and won on breaking up the monopolies.

Another winning issue would be getting big money out of our politics. The richest one percent now own more than the bottom 90 percent which results in corporations and the very rich running our politics. Unless we get the big money out of politics, the other issues have little to no chance of being implemented by our elected officials.

Higher taxes on the wealthy is also popular with most Americans.

I don't know if you want to call the above issues left, right, or center, but they make for a winning formula and a better economy that works for the whole nation. 

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 40

@Tom5678 wrote:
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. The party has been so hard right for so long now. This is the more relevant question in my mind.

Well I suppose if your a registered republican, but I'm not.... I'm a registered democrat, so the question and my OP is relevant. 

Maybe get in the batters box and take a few cuts? 

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 40
If the republicans moved slightly more left .... I'm afraid the democrats might become extinct.

Maybe the rise of Warren & Waters ticket in 2020 and the Bern as Secretary of State.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 40
Bingo! You hit the nail on the head. The party has been so hard right for so long now. This is the more relevant question in my mind.
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 40

Will the Republican party move to the middle ?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 40

Will the Democratic party move towards the middle in 2018?

If you mean will the American people move to the right to meet Republicans half way I would hope not. If they do I don't think people will follow Democrats in doing that.

Republicans have become extremist, nothing like the party of Eisenhower, or even Reagan. The party of the inhuman.

You think what is going on springs from the Democratic Party, it doesn't. This is a from the  ground up sort of thing, not a from the top down one.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Will the Democratic party move towards the middle in 2018?

Message 40 of 40

Will the party faithful return if they do? Will the Democrats become a "populist" party again? Can the Democratic party survive an internal right turn? 

Today it seems both parties are in a state of flux. Republicans are like a dysfunctional family, but a family none the less... and the Democrats seem to be going through a divorce. Who know who'll get what? 

I believe if the democrats move to the middle in a populist manner they will retake their lost constituants along with some Republicans (RINO's) and do better than expected in 2018. If they stay the course and head further left... they'll get slaughtered. Making a right turn in traffic sis risky, but it might put balance back into politics. 

The Cloudy Crystal Ball 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Introducing jen43, one of our featured ACEs! Check out their profile and fill yours out, today!

Meet an ACE

Top Authors