Rethink your job search with the AARP job board. Find opportunities for experienced workers today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Will Trump privatize military in Syria / Afghanistan?

Message 1 of 10

Thanks to all for the current Blackwater update. And for sure follow the money and try to keep track of trump! trump might try to black budget? But if there is any request for funds, this would have to go thru the House, I presume. 

Also, outside effect, the head of blackwater is drawing new scrunity over not being truthful about a trump tower meeting. Perhaps this might also be looked into, whether trump is trying to privatize?

Stay strong, trump does wear on all of us!

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 10

@Olderscout66 - As always, follow the money!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 10

Just to carry donny's desire for a private army a step farther -

If we use mercenaries, we'll wind up equipping them.

Our military hardware is the best in the World, the result of a great deal of R&D and, thanks to bloodthursty Republicans, field tested in the most realistic conditions - actual WARS. How much got left behind in Iraq? Nobody seems to know - it was spread over 505 US bases, but nobody figures it was less than a billion dollars worth, AND a lot more to folks who don't have their own arms factories.

During jrbush's war in Iraq, how much cash did jr's minions "misplace"?

On December 12, 2003, $1.5 billion was shipped to Iraq, initially “the largest pay out of U.S. currency in Fed history,” according to an e-mail cited by committee members. It was followed by more than $2.4 billion on June 22, 2004, and $1.6 billion three days later.Feb 6, 2007
That's $5.5 billion IN CASH UNACCOUNTED FOR , and NOBODY was charged with any crime or dereliction of duty or even reprimanded for gross incompetency.

Anyone still unclear about why lil donny and his cronies want to privatize the military now serving overseas?
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 10

@john258 - You connected a lot of dots! Thanks for that. It runs really deep, but that's how corrupt organizations run with everyone in it together.

I do remember the Blackwater tragedy in Iraq, and also the discussions of privatizing the military under Bush 43. That is why I was somewhat surprised to see the return of the possibility of outsourcing military operations to mercenaries (even though they will call something else). Some operations have been outsourced since Bush 43, so I am aware that these private security companies have been involved, but it didn't seem large scale. I've also read where the CIA has used these special operations in certain places, but that generally came to light after the fact. 

Mattis was so angry when he left, and Syria was at the heart of it. I can't help but think now that Mattis must have know Trump was likely to do this, at least in Syria, if not in Afghanistan. 

Kudos
Views
Regular Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 10

I'm with you and your sentiment, Manic Progessive!!!    Smiley Frustrated

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Ugh! I give up. The corruption never ends.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 10

@MaVolta wrote:

The infamous Blackwater paramilitary group has gone through a few name changes but never really went away. They are attempting a comeback by offering Trump a deal to replace troops in Syria, and also privatize the war in Afghanistan. The chief "lobbyist" for privatizing military operations is former Blackwater founder and CEO, Erik Prince, who just happens to be the brother of Ed Sec Betsy DeVos. (Is there no end to the cronyism in this Admin?) 

It's reported that Gen Mattis was opposed to the idea, and he left in December.

Here is one story that I stumbled upon from Haaretz in Israel published in January . . . 

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/syria/.premium-blackwater-looks-to-trump-for-a-comeback-in-...

Not much reporting from American media on the subject, but here is an article from Business Insider from December . . .

https://www.businessinsider.com/with-mattis-out-blackwater-could-privatize-the-afghan-war-2018-12

Is this the real reason for Trump's sudden announcement for troop withdrawals from Syria, and a 7,000 troop draw down from Afghanistan? Is Trump preparing to privatize military operations in Syria and Afghanistan?

The really scary part: If enacted, the paramilitary would report to a "viceroy" who would report directly to POTUS. That's apparently with no oversight from DOD.

Could he do that?

This is not new news. It is well over 1 year old. It was covered in here, and I posted on it. It was the Sec. of Defence who killed it after Trump was ready to move forwarded with it. Our allies in Afghanistan would have left if it had happened. The support article tells us it has come alive again due  to Syria, and Mad Dog not being Sec. of Defence. Eric P never gives up and he knows Trump well. Eric is part of the Mercers who put millions in to the Trump campaign. They got Kelly Ann into her job, and of course they control the US Fed. Education Dept through daughter Betsy. They own Brightbart. Eric had a lot of his people in Iraq during that war. About 5 or 6 of his people were killed and hung from a bridge in one Iraq city by the people. His guys treated the people of Iraq very badly. It was a private security service for hire then in Iraq. Eric was the back channel for Trump in a meeting held in the S. Islands. That was covered in the press quite a bit. If Trump has his way he will do it so lets see if anyone stops him this time. The answer to cure this mess is never vote for Trump or any one with an R behind their name in the next election. Save the USA.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 10

@MaVolta wrote:

The infamous Blackwater paramilitary group has gone through a few name changes but never really went away. They are attempting a comeback by offering Trump a deal to replace troops in Syria, and also privatize the war in Afghanistan. The chief "lobbyist" for privatizing military operations is former Blackwater founder and CEO, Erik Prince, who just happens to be the brother of Ed Sec Betsy DeVos. (Is there no end to the cronyism in this Admin?) 

Here is one story that I stumbled upon from Haaretz in Israel published in January . . . 

https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/syria/.premium-blackwater-looks-to-trump-for-a-comeback-in-...

Not much reporting from American media on the subject, but here is an article from Business Insider from December . . .

https://www.businessinsider.com/with-mattis-out-blackwater-could-privatize-the-afghan-war-2018-12

Is this the real reason for Trump's sudden announcement for troop withdrawals from Syria, and a 7,000 troop draw down from Afghanistan? Is Trump preparing to privatize military operations in Syria and Afghanistan?

The really scary part: If enacted, the paramilitary would report to a "viceroy" who would report directly to POTUS. That's apparently with no oversight from DOD.

Could he do that?

Excellent bit of research @MaVolta. My first reaction to your question was "No. Haliburton already did that with the really profitable part - the logistical support.

Had not considered the possibility lil donny would want a private Army all his own, just like his BFFs Kim and Putin, but that is highly likely, given donny's other dictatorial proclivities. And it would please the GOPerLords no end to be able to keep their highly profitable Wars going WITHOUT any interference from Congress or the American people - they'd need to be able to penetrate the BLACK part of the DOD Budget, and that would take some serious doing, even for a different/competent POTUS.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 10

MaVolta,

Thanks so much for your time and research on your post. Can he do this?. Trump loves to play by his own rules.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 10

Ugh! I give up. The corruption never ends.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Will Trump privatize military in Syria / Afghanistan?

Message 10 of 10

Could he do that?

Kudos
Views
Replies