Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why the North Korea Situation is so bad

Message 1 of 6

@Indianrock wrote:

"Sources told the New York Times that Mr Kelly, 67, reacted to the outburst calmly, but said he later told colleagues he had never been spoken to in such a way during 35 years of military service and would not put up with similar treatment again."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/president-donald-trump-lashes-out-chief-of-staff-jo...

And, since Trump is emotionally incapable of actually firing someone, Kelly is invulnerable. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

"Sources told the New York Times that Mr Kelly, 67, reacted to the outburst calmly, but said he later told colleagues he had never been spoken to in such a way during 35 years of military service and would not put up with similar treatment again."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/president-donald-trump-lashes-out-chief-of-staff-jo...

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

I liked and respected Harry Truman.  I like the way he talked, his willingness to accept full responsibility for anything he did, the way he did what was needed when it was needed, his blunt disapproval of anyone expressing contempt for the American People in speech or action. I didn't always agree with Harry.

Harry got this one wrong.  MacArthur had it right, ego-centric martinet that he was.  I'm not sure why all that happened the way it did...maybe it was because MacArthur was a potential rival in the upcoming election.  Maybe it was simply because Harry mistrusted the motives of any Military Man...MacArthur was that and more.  Maybe Harry, being part of the citizen sector that paid the highest price in WWII didn't figure 'his people' should have to take it 'on the chin' again.  Maybe he just was war weary, suffering from the consequences of what he had to do in Japan.  Maybe he thought we just needed to heal our wounds and try something else...at least for awhile.

Harry got this one wrong. Dealing with China would almost certainly have brought Russia into the matter on the side of the Chinese despite the historical enmity.  The conflict would have become Nuclear....almost any conflict had that potential, back then.  It would have meant loss of life and wealth on an unprecedented scale....ever.  To 'win' would have meant dropping the big one not just once, but many times. Could not be avoided.  The Soviet Union would be a player to be reckoned with AND not on our side.  The UN was simply not up for the job then and still isn't. 

Turns out nothing much has changed for the better.  it may have been wiser to have dealt with the issue as MacArthur wanted to.  Korea never really ended.  Viet Nam, and others that shouldn't have happened, followed.  Korea is back.....in spades.  The consequences are far more serious.  It was MAD then and it's even more MAD now.  Truth is, we may end up doing just what it was we never ever wanted to do....ever again.  I don't think Harry had any idea things could turn out this way. But then, Harry never had any idea anyone like Donald John Trump could ever BE President of the United States.

Harry was wrong for all the right reasons...a patriot who honestly loved his Country and his People..  In comparison, the guy now calling the shots [sorry about that] really, really, really sucks. He hasn't ever been 'the one behind the gun'.  Harry was.  It might be different this time this time around and I do have to say I take small comfort in that.  Harry was wrong....but this guy....this guy!

The scope of consequences he appears to comprehend does not go.beyond what may happen to his image if the next 'rally' attendance count does not meet expectations....even if he pays them to come.  

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

@Indianrock wrote:

Seems like many of his problems are due to confusing ownership of a company with being president.  He desprately needs men and women advisers who are not "yes people."    I was encouraged to hear that Chief of Staff Kelly said he would not tolerate another tongue lashing from the president.   Somebody needs to go eyeball to eyeball with the bully and get him straightened out about how to be president, accept input from advisers who are more knowledgable than you, negotiate with congress and stop tweeting like a 13-year-old.

I had not heard that quote.  The word "another" in there scares me.  Let's hope it was a one time event where Kelly straightened out the bully in chief immediately. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

Seems like many of his problems are due to confusing ownership of a company with being president.  He desprately needs men and women advisers who are not "yes people."    I was encouraged to hear that Chief of Staff Kelly said he would not tolerate another tongue lashing from the president.   Somebody needs to go eyeball to eyeball with the bully and get him straightened out about how to be president, accept input from advisers who are more knowledgable than you, negotiate with congress and stop tweeting like a 13-year-old.

Burnhaven
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views
Replies

Why the North Korea Situation is so bad

Message 6 of 6

Donald Trump.......easy and obvious answer as to why the N. Korean situation has become so bad.  For decades, presidents of both parties have kept the North Koreans contained though subtle shows of force and diplomacy with out partners. 

So, what do we see now?

• Trump is not trusted by our allies not to make them look bad. 
  • Trump makes threats to N. Korea and then does not follow through. NEVER make a threat you are not prepared to follow up on. 
  • Trump is an extremely weak president and cannot focus. Any dictator in the world can tweak us and then wait until the next squirrel comes along to distract him. 

Fun fact, last week, just before N. Korea drops another improved nuke, Trump announced he was pulling out of a trade agreement with S. Korea. Coincidence?  I think not. 

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Call-in Event: Coronavirus: Maintaining Your Well-Being

Ask experts about the coronavirus, learn how to protect yourself, stay connected and cope with stress and anxiety brought on by the pandemic. Join AARP for a special call-in event April 9, at 1:00 pm (EDT).

You can participate by calling toll-free 1-855-274-9507.

Learn more about the event on our Tele-Town Hall page.

Top Authors