Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why are we paying $93,000,000 for 535 people in the halls of Congress?

Message 1 of 5

Clearly, we don't get what we pay for! And talk about 'entitlements' . . . 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 5
Yes, they make a base salary of $174,000 per year. Plus benefits and as my doctor just told me they don't have a donut hole in their health care policies. He said if he wrote a RX for $4000 their insurance would pay in full no co-pay. Please make this program available to all Americans I would be happy. If any of these Public Servants were employed in their own states, and cities I would guess they would not make $174,000.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 5

BigBobbyS,

Your conversation is outstanding.  It does make me sick to my stomach to learn more and more about the government of the US.  What did you mean to say about That Man in the White House??  Is there a word left out?  

I've worked with various federal government; Ammunition Supply in the 60's, Served in the USAF, and worked at the State Department.  Some of the things I heard and saw turned my stomach.  Cheating, lying, misinformation and on and on.  I do not have a lot of love for the condition of our country.  It didn't just happen either.  Congress has been unattended for too long.

Have you ever stood outside one of Rayburn building.  (Congressional building)  The only time I had the 'pleasure' all I saw were young, attactive women.  It was eery.  My congressman's office manager lost her job working for some Congressional person.  She was 35 when this happened (not re-elected).  Her experience trying to find employment in a similar job met with comments about age, looks, etc.  Gee, who do these HR people remind me of?  --- should be right at home in DC.    35!!  This was in 1987 and I was horrified as I was 36 at the time.

Should all of the waste that I've seen in the USAF, Foreign Service, VA hospital and Ammuntion Plant is any indication Congress should be repealed.

Have you divided 93,000,000 by 535?  The number my calculator came up with (twice just in case) was mind boggeling.  Do OUR representatives of whichever House really make $173,831.77??  That is just their salary?  

I totally agree with you about taking action.  My late father used to call the US 'the united states of sheep'.  He felt that Americans just followed the same route when it came to the government, etc.  He lived to 95,  (worked 36 years as a mailcarrier) he had seen  a lot of 'head in the sand' behavior.  I believe he was correct, so many people don't examine, debate and fix.  

I have to stop or your eyes will be red.  Sorry.  I'm just passionate about waste.  OK one example:  I was an executive officer for a flying squadron  in England.  The pilots rotated flying (Always Business Class) to Sardinia to train other countrie's pilots how to 'fly and fight'.  The was so much waste.  I decided to find out how much a dedicated C-130 would cost to take the guys back and forth.  Researched everything.  The colonel told me it couldn't be done because the pilots would complain.  What?  I've flown in the USAF planes that fly all kinds of Congressional people literally anywhere they desire and bring them back to DC.  The entire plane and been 'refreshed'.  First class seats were so far apart (and very nice leather??) it was difficult to speak with other fliers.  A few active duty service members took a hop, free.  The plane was actually going to take ONE congressman to his home state.  He wasn't happy to have company.

OK,I promise.  No more.

Maureen Martinek 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 5

I will not support, campaign, or vote for anyone who would hurt the elderly, poor, or incapacitated our country stands for more than this.

I'm with you on that, what they're trying to do to people is inhuman, and inhuman is evil. We have to unite to fight evil, regardless of what our other differences might be. We can't allow Congress, the Koch brothers, insurance companies, dark money in politics, and the subjugation of some of the 4th estate into a propaganda machine to allow our democracy to be turned into feeding trough for pigs.

I won't stand by and let that happen without a fight. I just won't support, campaign, vote for anyone who gets on-board for this, I'll do everything in my power and within the law to remove them from office.

Kudos
Views
Gold Conversationalist
Kudos
Views
Replies

Why are we paying $93,000,000 for 535 people in the halls of Congress?

Message 5 of 5

I might remind you this is only their salaries, not staff, expenses etc. These Senators and Congressmen are doing nothing to warrant these salaries. I just read over the points in the new Senate Bill they are trying to pass before September 30 which is the last day they can make their promise of over 8 years a reality. The insurance companies wrote this bill and the Koch brothers are paying the tab. I urge every man woman and 18 year old and above to contact their Senator and tell them to tell their wives to start packing because if this swill passes we will not return a single incumbent democrat or republican to Washington. That's only the start I urge everyone to take to the streets and peacefully take back this country so we not Trump can make it great again. I will not support, campaign, or vote for anyone who would hurt the elderly, poor, or incapacitated our country stands for more than this.

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors