Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Why are people still racist?

Why are people still racist? What science says about America’s race problem.

 

Torch-bearing white supremacists shouting racist and anti-Semitic slogans. Protesters and counter protesters colliding with violence and chaos. A car driven by a known Nazi sympathizer mowing down a crowd of activists.

 

Many Americans responded to this weekend's violence in Charlottesville with disbelieving horror. How could this happen in America, in 2017? “This is not who we are,” said Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine (D).

 

And yet, this is who we are.

 

Amid our modern clashes, researchers in psychology, sociology and neurology have been studying the roots of racism. We draw on that research and asked two scientists to explain why people feel and act this way toward each other.

 

What causes people to be racist?

 

“In some ways, it’s super simple. People learn to be whatever their society and culture teaches them. We often assume that it takes parents actively teaching their kids, for them to be racist. The truth is that unless parents actively teach kids not to be racists, they will be,” said Jennifer Richeson, a Yale University social psychologist. “This is not the product of some deep-seated, evil heart that is cultivated. It comes from the environment, the air all around us.”

 

Richeson compares children's instinctive formation of biases to a student at a new school. “When you arrive at a new high school. You are instinctively trying to figure out who’s cool, who’s not, who’s a nerd, who gets beat up? Kids quickly acquire these associations,” she said.

 

To get a sense of just how pervasive and imperceptibly our environment can affect us, one study at Tufts University found that even with a TV show on mute displaying scenes with no explicit discrimination, the nonverbal body language of black and white actors interacting was enough to cause watchers to test higher for implicit bias afterward.

 

“An us-them mentality is unfortunately a really basic part of our biology,” said Eric Knowles, a psychology professor at New York University who studies prejudice and politics. “There’s a lot of evidence that people have an ingrained even evolved tendency toward people who are in our so-called 'in group.'”

 

But how we define those groups, and the tendency to draw divisions along racial lines, is social, not biological, he added. “We can draw those lines in a number of ways that society tells us,” he said. 

 

When does racism drive people to commit violence?

 

“The most likely predictor of that is exposure to a kind of ideology,” Knowles said. Most if not all people carry implicit biases and unexamined prejudices, he said, and some may harbor feelings of fear or resentment that they don’t express in public.

 

More at:   Why are people still racist? What science says about America’s race problem.

 

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

Does anyone think that a properly raised child would be turned racist as an adult by a statue of Lee in the town square?

Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

Does anyone think that a properly raised child would be turned racist as an adult by a statue of Lee in the town square?


Apparently ESPN has pulled an announcer off a Virginia game since he has the name Robert Lee (of Asian descent). Now doesn't that take left wing political correctness to a new level?

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/08/22/espn-pulls-announcer-robert-lee-off-virginia-...

Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


Apparently ESPN has pulled an announcer off a Virginia game since he has the name Robert Lee (of Asian descent). Now doesn't that take left wing political correctness to a new level?

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/08/22/espn-pulls-announcer-robert-lee-off-virginia-...


Doesn't present a good image for ESPN and it's a far reach to associate a Chinese with a Confederate General.

 

Also interesting spin some here has attempted to put on this.  Even ESPN is attempting to spin it as consensual. 

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/08/23/espn-just-gave-conservatives-a-gift...

 

ESPN just gave conservatives a gift

 

"ESPN removed an Asian American announcer from a University of Virginia game because his name was Robert Lee, prompting the sole reasonable reaction: What on Earth?!

ESPN’s decision has prompted derision across the political spectrum, tinged on the conservative side with almost-gleeful disbelief (see former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee’s Twitter feed for an extended riff on the topic). And, of course, conservatives are happy. ESPN has given them a gift.

 

"But ESPN’s mistake is about more than a sports network doing something stupid. Not only has the network delivered an easy affirmative action parallel to conservatives — “an Asian American is being discriminated against because wacko liberals are trying to protect black people” — but the network has also played right into their hands in another big way."

0 Kudos
231 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


Apparently ESPN has pulled an announcer off a Virginia game since he has the name Robert Lee (of Asian descent). Now doesn't that take left wing political correctness to a new level?

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/08/22/espn-pulls-announcer-robert-lee-off-virginia-...


Doesn't present a good image for ESPN and it's a far reach to associate a Chinese with a Confederate General.

 

Also interesting spin some here has attempted to put on this.  Even ESPN is attempting to spin it as consensual. 

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/08/23/espn-just-gave-conservatives-a-gift...

 

ESPN just gave conservatives a gift

 

"ESPN removed an Asian American announcer from a University of Virginia game because his name was Robert Lee, prompting the sole reasonable reaction: What on Earth?!

ESPN’s decision has prompted derision across the political spectrum, tinged on the conservative side with almost-gleeful disbelief (see former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee’s Twitter feed for an extended riff on the topic). And, of course, conservatives are happy. ESPN has given them a gift.

 

"But ESPN’s mistake is about more than a sports network doing something stupid. Not only has the network delivered an easy affirmative action parallel to conservatives — “an Asian American is being discriminated against because wacko liberals are trying to protect black people” — but the network has also played right into their hands in another big way."


Apparently ESPN feels the radical left seeing his name will associate it with racism and cause a disruption or riot at the game.

0 Kudos
238 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


Apparently ESPN feels the radical left seeing his name will associate it with racism and cause a disruption or riot at the game.


That might be the case, but appearances indicate bad public relations.  But the game  was carried on ESPN'S digital networks not television.  One announcer, Bob Ley, joked about being concerned about his name.

 

In any event, it is doubtful that the announcer would be confused with Robert E Lee given his skin color.

 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/23/media/espn-robert-lee-uva-game/index.html

 

 

0 Kudos
235 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Does anyone think that a properly raised child would be turned racist as an adult by a statue of Lee in the town square?


Apparently ESPN has pulled an announcer off a Virginia game since he has the name Robert Lee (of Asian descent). Now doesn't that take left wing political correctness to a new level?

 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/08/22/espn-pulls-announcer-robert-lee-off-virginia-...


We've all see the extremes attack anything.....better safe than sorry.  He was assigned another game.  No big deal.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
304 Views
6
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:


We've all see the extremes attack anything.....better safe than sorry.  He was assigned another game.  No big deal.


No big deal perhaps to you, a Caucasian, but to those of Asiatic origin, especially Chinese it probably means a very big deal. 

Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:


We've all see the extremes attack anything.....better safe than sorry.  He was assigned another game.  No big deal.


No big deal perhaps to you, a Caucasian, but to those of Asiatic origin, especially Chinese it probably means a very big deal. 


"So now you're an expert on the feelings of the Chinese?"  "Who put you in charge of the feelings of the Chinese".

 

And yet we haven't hear one complaint from anyone from China.  Apparently they are more reasonable and understanding than the average partisan American political hacks. 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
253 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:


"So now you're an expert on the feelings of the Chinese?"  "Who put you in charge of the feelings of the Chinese".



More sarcasm?  I believe I have as good a handle on Asians or maybe better than some here.  Are you an expert on Asians?  Ever been around them much?

 

http://money.cnn.com/2017/08/23/media/espn-robert-lee-uva-game/index.html

 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2017/08/23/espn-just-gave-conservatives-a-gift...

 

 

 

0 Kudos
248 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:


"So now you're an expert on the feelings of the Chinese?"  "Who put you in charge of the feelings of the Chinese".



More sarcasm?  No, none at all.  I believe I have as good a handle on Asians or maybe better than some here.  Of course you do.  Are you an expert on Asians? No and never suggested I was.  You aren't either.  Ever been around them much?  "Them"?  LOL.  "Them!"  Too funny.  I work with many minorities, many of which are from the continent called "Asia".  But thanks for asking....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
238 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:



More sarcasm?  No, none at all.  I believe I have as good a handle on Asians or maybe better than some here.  Of course you do.  Are you an expert on Asians? No and never suggested I was.  You aren't either.  Ever been around them much?  "Them"?  LOL.  "Them!"  Too funny.  I work with many minorities, many of which are from the continent called "Asia".  But thanks for asking....


There is that nervous "LOL" again.  How can one carry on a serious discussion when one party is laughing all the time.

 

I'm sure you learn a lot with just working with Asians.  Is that much the same as having them in the family, close friends and mixing with them socially?  Lots different when having spent years in that area, and of course having of living with one for many years. 

 

As far as your "No, none at all" in answer to more sarcasm, I would believe your last remark "But thanks for asking...." contradicts your answer.

 

And yes there shouldn't be any question why some are still racist...it's only a matter of one feeling superior to others, or those who are different.

 

And racial bias isn't just an American thing.  I've seen it in other countries.

0 Kudos
247 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:



More sarcasm?  No, none at all.  I believe I have as good a handle on Asians or maybe better than some here.  Of course you do.  Are you an expert on Asians? No and never suggested I was.  You aren't either.  Ever been around them much?  "Them"?  LOL.  "Them!"  Too funny.  I work with many minorities, many of which are from the continent called "Asia".  But thanks for asking....


There is that nervous "LOL" again.  How can one carry on a serious discussion when one party is laughing all the time.  You can't.

 

I'm sure you learn a lot with just working with Asians.  Is that much the same as having them in the family, close friends and mixing with them socially?  Lots different when having spent years in that area, and of course having of living with one for many years.  yep, Tex.  ONE!!!

 

As far as your "No, none at all" in answer to more sarcasm, I would believe your last remark "But thanks for asking...." contradicts your answer.  You would.

 

And yes there shouldn't be any question why some are still racist...But sadly there is.  We have some who want to fly their confederate flags in the face's of blacks.......shove their racist views down their throats, even discriminate against gays.  These aren't REAL Americans who support the Constitution.  They forget it doesn't just apply to them....it applies to all Americans whether they have a hyphen in their names or not.

 

it's only a matter of one feeling superior to others, or those who are different.  I'm please to see you're speaking for yourself again.

 

And racial bias isn't just an American thing.  I've seen it in other countries.  Yep.  But which claims to be exceptional?


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
235 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

Does anyone think that a properly raised child would be turned racist as an adult by a statue of Lee in the town square?

 

"A properly raised child".  That's funny.  Would that be defined by a white male in his senior years?  Or a twenty-something single father who was a Mexican-American?  I think a "properly raised child" might have different parameters and both are equally valid.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
299 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Contempt prior to investigation.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

There is no such thing as a "born racist". People are still racist because we allow others to teach racism to the impressionable young.

Honored Social Butterfly


@Olderscout66 wrote:

There is no such thing as a "born racist". People are still racist because we allow others to teach racism to the impressionable young.


That is true.

Honored Social Butterfly

In my opinion racists and others who support discrimination against certain groups are so lacking in self-worth that they have to put others down to make them feel better about themselves.

 

The difference I see between the left and right is that the left wants to lift everyone to a better life while the right wants to put others down to raise themselves.

Honored Social Butterfly


Snoopy48 wrote: 

The difference I see between the left and right is that the left wants to lift everyone to a better life while the right wants to put others down to raise themselves.


It's really weird how people look differently at definitions.  The difference I see between the left and the right is the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

The right believes that everyone is entitled to be free to work as hard as possible to gain as much or little as they can with minimal government intervention (I didn't say NO government intervention).

Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Snoopy48 wrote: 

The difference I see between the left and right is that the left wants to lift everyone to a better life while the right wants to put others down to raise themselves.


 the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

 


Your description of the left is simply erroneous. A fallacy.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Snoopy48 wrote: 

The difference I see between the left and right is that the left wants to lift everyone to a better life while the right wants to put others down to raise themselves.


 the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

 


Your description of the left is simply erroneous. A fallacy.


Please!!!! don't try to take this thread out of focus. 

no name
0 Kudos
318 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Snoopy48 wrote: 

 


It's really weird how people look differently at definitions.  The difference I see between the left and the right is the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

The right believes that everyone is entitled to be free to work as hard as possible to gain as much or little as they can with minimal government intervention (I didn't say NO government intervention).


Nothappening. please point out anything in your post that has to do with racism? and if you are following posters that are also posting off topic please don't follow

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Snoopy48 wrote: 

 


It's really weird how people look differently at definitions.  The difference I see between the left and the right is the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

The right believes that everyone is entitled to be free to work as hard as possible to gain as much or little as they can with minimal government intervention (I didn't say NO government intervention).


Nothappening. please point out anything in your post that has to do with racism? and if you are following posters that are also posting off topic please don't follow


I'm really not sure how you became President of this "forum" but I will attempt to honor your request.  People are still racist because: the left keeps beating the drums of hate - currently attempting to bring down statues that they don't like because they relate to slavery - a real part (although an ugly part) of our American history and the left thinks that history will change or be forgotten if the statues go away even though the local peoples may want to retain those statues.

 

Does that satisfy your criteria?

0 Kudos
308 Views
79
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Snoopy48 wrote: 

 


It's really weird how people look differently at definitions.  The difference I see between the left and the right is the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

The right believes that everyone is entitled to be free to work as hard as possible to gain as much or little as they can with minimal government intervention (I didn't say NO government intervention).


Nothappening. please point out anything in your post that has to do with racism? and if you are following posters that are also posting off topic please don't follow


I'm really not sure how you became President of this "forum" but I will attempt to honor your request.  People are still racist because: the left keeps beating the drums of hate - currently attempting to bring down statues that they don't like because they relate to slavery -

 

So racists are racists because "the left" (all races mind you) are wanting to remove statues.  Interesting.  Why does that make white hate blacks and blacks hate whites?

 

I'm white, an Independent and don't fee one way or another about statues.  If some think they're offensive and should be removed....OK.

 

If someone else thinks it's history and therefore they should stay, I think they're mindless.  They are not "history", they, are a symbol and symbols can "expire".  The history will always exist in books, movies, documentaries, the hearts and minds of the informed, etc.  If I draw a picture of an Ark, is it history?  Of course not!  Very limited thought process.

 

a real part (although an ugly part) of our American history...it's not a "part", it's symbolic of a part of history.  There are many more... and the left thinks that history will change or be forgotten if the statues go away ....really?  I think you're mistaken.  No one thinks it goes away; it's just not shoved in anyone's face any longer.  There is a significant difference.  even though the local peoples may want to retain those statues.  Well, IMO, that's who should be making the decision.....not "mob rules"

 

But also IMO, you are way off base if you think the statues cause racism.....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Snoopy48 wrote: 

 


It's really weird how people look differently at definitions.  The difference I see between the left and the right is the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

The right believes that everyone is entitled to be free to work as hard as possible to gain as much or little as they can with minimal government intervention (I didn't say NO government intervention).


Nothappening. please point out anything in your post that has to do with racism? and if you are following posters that are also posting off topic please don't follow


I'm really not sure how you became President of this "forum" but I will attempt to honor your request.  People are still racist because: the left keeps beating the drums of hate - currently attempting to bring down statues that they don't like because they relate to slavery -

 

So racists are racists because "the left" (all races mind you) are wanting to remove statues.  

Just who said all races don't want to remove statues? You did.  But it is for the most part the left who want to remove history which WON'T change it.

Interesting.  Why does that make white hate blacks and blacks hate whites?

It doesn't. Some whites hate blacks - some blacks hate whites.  I don't personally know anyone who HATES blacks.

 

I'm white, an Independent and don't fee one way or another about statues.  If some think they're offensive and should be removed....OK.

 

I think the people in the community where the statues sit are responsible for determining which statues stay and which ones don't.  I don't think it's your job (or mine) to tell one community how to operate.

 

If someone else thinks it's history and therefore they should stay, I think they're mindless.  

You are welcome to YOUR OPINION!

They are not "history", they, are a symbol and symbols can "expire".

This is YOUR OPINION.

 The history will always exist in books, movies, documentaries, the hearts and minds of the informed, etc.

Maybe people like you will want to change history (books) next.

 If I draw a picture of an Ark, is it history?  Of course not!  Very limited thought process.

No relevance.

 

a real part (although an ugly part) of our American history...it's not a "part", it's symbolic of a part of history.  There are many more... and the left thinks that history will change or be forgotten if the statues go away ....really?  I think you're mistaken.  No one thinks it goes away; it's just not shoved in anyone's face any longer.  There is a significant difference.

Again, the people that live there should vote on stay or go (not you or I).

 even though the local peoples may want to retain those statues.  Well, IMO, that's who should be making the decision.....not "mob rules"

 

But also IMO, you are way off base if you think the statues cause racism.....

 

The statues do not cause racist, it is the left that beats the drums of racism each day and perpetuate those ugly days of yesteryear.


 

0 Kudos
328 Views
62
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Snoopy48 wrote: 

 


It's really weird how people look differently at definitions.  The difference I see between the left and the right is the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

The right believes that everyone is entitled to be free to work as hard as possible to gain as much or little as they can with minimal government intervention (I didn't say NO government intervention).


Nothappening. please point out anything in your post that has to do with racism? and if you are following posters that are also posting off topic please don't follow


I'm really not sure how you became President of this "forum" but I will attempt to honor your request.  People are still racist because: the left keeps beating the drums of hate - currently attempting to bring down statues that they don't like because they relate to slavery -

 

So racists are racists because "the left" (all races mind you) are wanting to remove statues.  

Just who said all races don't want to remove statues? You're not "listening, NOT.  YOU claimed  "People are still racist because: the left keeps beating the drums of hate - currently attempting to bring down statues that they don't like because they relate to slavery" remember?  I pointed out that what you called, "the left" is comprised of all races.  Yet you take issue with that???  Why?

 

You did.  But it is for the most part the left who want to remove history which WON'T change it.  I think only those with warped, single mindinded views would removing a statue equate to "removing history".  Sounds like someone who thinks if they throw trash out their car window, it no longer exists.

 

 

It doesn't.  No Not, you're peddling a faux reality..... I doubt many, if any at all, think removing statues will change our past; but it could create a much better future for some, probably more than you could imagine.  Some whites hate blacks - some blacks hate whites.  What an insightfully brilliant comment.  I don't personally know anyone who HATES blacks.

 

I'm white, an Independent and don't fee one way or another about statues.  If some think they're offensive and should be removed....OK.

 

I think the people in the community where the statues sit are responsible for determining which statues stay and which ones don't.  I don't think it's your job (or mine) to tell one community how to operate.  I posted the same thing you posted above, much before you....

 

If someone else thinks it's history and therefore they should stay, I think they're mindless.  

You are welcome to YOUR OPINION!  Well, I thank you for the acknowlegment.

 

They are not "history", they, are a symbol and symbols can "expire".

This is YOUR OPINION.  Ya think?

 

The history will always exist in books, movies, documentaries, the hearts and minds of the informed, etc.

Maybe people like you will want to change history (books) next.  Oh no, NOT.  I'll need to contact you first to find out what 'people like me" would do....just as I always do.....

 

Whatcha think, Napolian?

 

 

 

 If I draw a picture of an Ark, is it history?  Of course not!  Very limited thought process.

No relevance.  Actually it has plenty...you just missed it.

 

a real part (although an ugly part) of our American history...it's not a "part", it's symbolic of a part of history.  There are many more... and the left thinks that history will change or be forgotten if the statues go away ....really?  I think you're mistaken.  No one thinks it goes away; it's just not shoved in anyone's face any longer.  There is a significant difference.

Again, the people that live there should vote on stay or go (not you or I).  Again, <stomp, stomp), I said the same some time ago.  You were too busy attacking another poster and not paying attention.

 even though the local peoples may want to retain those statues.  Well, IMO, that's who should be making the decision.....not "mob rules"

 

But also IMO, you are way off base if you think the statues cause racism.....

 

The statues do not cause racist, Of course not....it was a bizarre point.  it is the left that beats the drums of racism each day and perpetuate those ugly days of yesteryear.  LOL. It's the ignorance of those who claim racism doesn't exist that keeps racism alive.   It's those who want to shove their symbols in the faces of others who demonstrate racism in our everyday lives.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Snoopy48 wrote: 

 


It's really weird how people look differently at definitions.  The difference I see between the left and the right is the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

The right believes that everyone is entitled to be free to work as hard as possible to gain as much or little as they can with minimal government intervention (I didn't say NO government intervention).


Nothappening. please point out anything in your post that has to do with racism? and if you are following posters that are also posting off topic please don't follow


I'm really not sure how you became President of this "forum" but I will attempt to honor your request.  People are still racist because: the left keeps beating the drums of hate - currently attempting to bring down statues that they don't like because they relate to slavery -

 

So racists are racists because "the left" (all races mind you) are wanting to remove statues.  

Just who said all races don't want to remove statues? You're not "listening, NOT.  YOU claimed  "People are still racist because: the left keeps beating the drums of hate - currently attempting to bring down statues that they don't like because they relate to slavery" remember?  I pointed out that what you called, "the left" is comprised of all races.  Yet you take issue with that???  Why?

 

You did.  But it is for the most part the left who want to remove history which WON'T change it.  I think only those with warped, single mindinded views would removing a statue equate to "removing history".  Sounds like someone who thinks if they throw trash out their car window, it no longer exists.

 

 

It doesn't.  No Not, you're peddling a faux reality..... I doubt many, if any at all, think removing statues will change our past; but it could create a much better future for some, probably more than you could imagine.  Some whites hate blacks - some blacks hate whites.  What an insightfully brilliant comment.  I don't personally know anyone who HATES blacks.

 

I'm white, an Independent and don't fee one way or another about statues.  If some think they're offensive and should be removed....OK.

 

I think the people in the community where the statues sit are responsible for determining which statues stay and which ones don't.  I don't think it's your job (or mine) to tell one community how to operate.  I posted the same thing you posted above, much before you....

 

If someone else thinks it's history and therefore they should stay, I think they're mindless.  

You are welcome to YOUR OPINION!  Well, I thank you for the acknowlegment.

 

They are not "history", they, are a symbol and symbols can "expire".

This is YOUR OPINION.  Ya think?

 

The history will always exist in books, movies, documentaries, the hearts and minds of the informed, etc.

Maybe people like you will want to change history (books) next.  Oh no, NOT.  I'll need to contact you first to find out what 'people like me" would do first.  Just as I always do.....

 

Whatcha think, Napolian?

 

 

 

 If I draw a picture of an Ark, is it history?  Of course not!  Very limited thought process.

No relevance.  Actually it has plenty...you just missed it.

 

a real part (although an ugly part) of our American history...it's not a "part", it's symbolic of a part of history.  There are many more... and the left thinks that history will change or be forgotten if the statues go away ....really?  I think you're mistaken.  No one thinks it goes away; it's just not shoved in anyone's face any longer.  There is a significant difference.

Again, the people that live there should vote on stay or go (not you or I).  Again, <stomp, stomp), I said the same some time ago.  You were too busy attacking another poster and not paying attention.

 even though the local peoples may want to retain those statues.  Well, IMO, that's who should be making the decision.....not "mob rules"

 

But also IMO, you are way off base if you think the statues cause racism.....

 

The statues do not cause racist, Of course not....it was a bizarre point.  it is the left that beats the drums of racism each day and perpetuate those ugly days of yesteryear.  LOL. It's the ignorance of those who claim racism doesn't exist that keeps racism alive.   It's those who want to shove their symbols in the faces of others who demonstrate racism in our everyday lives.


Rather than confuse anyone else with all the quips you have made in varying colors, I disagree with everything you have posted and that is my opinion and you are (of course) welcome to yours which is diametrically 180 degrees out of phase with the majority of Americans.

 

BTW, I never said racism doesn't exist even though you keep trying to say I did.  Racists exist in all stripes and colors and will most likely continue as the leftists continue beating the hate drum!

0 Kudos
324 Views
6
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


Rather than confuse anyone else with all the quips you have made in varying colors, I disagree with everything you have posted and that is my opinion and you are (of course) welcome to yours which is diametrically 180 degrees out of phase with the majority of Americans.

 

BTW, I never said racism doesn't exist even though you keep trying to say I did.  Racists exist in all stripes and colors and will most likely continue as the leftists continue beating the hate drum!

 

That is an excellent point. We do have people riding around (as someone else pointed out) with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks. And we have groups giving the "Black Power" salute.

 

Each group is granted the right to do that. Supporting their rights is not endorsing their thinking, it is supporting the Constitution.


 

Honored Social Butterfly


@rk9152 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


Rather than confuse anyone else with all the quips you have made in varying colors, I disagree with everything you have posted and that is my opinion and you are (of course) welcome to yours which is diametrically 180 degrees out of phase with the majority of Americans.

 

BTW, I never said racism doesn't exist even though you keep trying to say I did.  Racists exist in all stripes and colors and will most likely continue as the leftists continue beating the hate drum!

 

That is an excellent point. We do have people riding around (as someone else pointed out) with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks. And we have groups giving the "Black Power" salute.

 

Each group is granted the right to do that. Supporting their rights is not endorsing their thinking, it is supporting the Constitution.


 


I have more respect for KKK members who shed their hoods and publicly admit their white supremacy a racism than I do for those who hide behind the Constitution and  Free Speech in defending them.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


Rather than confuse anyone else with all the quips you have made in varying colors, I disagree with everything you have posted and that is my opinion and you are (of course) welcome to yours which is diametrically 180 degrees out of phase with the majority of Americans.

 

BTW, I never said racism doesn't exist even though you keep trying to say I did.  Racists exist in all stripes and colors and will most likely continue as the leftists continue beating the hate drum!

 

That is an excellent point. We do have people riding around (as someone else pointed out) with Confederate flags on their pickup trucks. And we have groups giving the "Black Power" salute.

 

Each group is granted the right to do that. Supporting their rights is not endorsing their thinking, it is supporting the Constitution.


 


I have more respect for KKK members who shed their hoods and publicly admit their white supremacy a racism than I do for those who hide behind the Constitution and  Free Speech in defending them.


Why is it so hard to understand? No one here is defending them.

 

If you think any of your fellow posters has put up something that defends their ideology, please quote it. If not, the subtle hints are childish as well as being offensive.

0 Kudos
224 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Snoopy48 wrote: 

 


It's really weird how people look differently at definitions.  The difference I see between the left and the right is the left believes the government should be all things to the people. 

 

That is it should supply all needs as well as insure "fairness" which really means everyone should be the same as far as wealth.  This would include food, housing, higher education, and income.

 

The right believes that everyone is entitled to be free to work as hard as possible to gain as much or little as they can with minimal government intervention (I didn't say NO government intervention).


Nothappening. please point out anything in your post that has to do with racism? and if you are following posters that are also posting off topic please don't follow


I'm really not sure how you became President of this "forum" but I will attempt to honor your request.  People are still racist because: the left keeps beating the drums of hate - currently attempting to bring down statues that they don't like because they relate to slavery -

 

So racists are racists because "the left" (all races mind you) are wanting to remove statues.  

Just who said all races don't want to remove statues? You're not "listening, NOT.  YOU claimed  "People are still racist because: the left keeps beating the drums of hate - currently attempting to bring down statues that they don't like because they relate to slavery" remember?  I pointed out that what you called, "the left" is comprised of all races.  Yet you take issue with that???  Why?

 

You did.  But it is for the most part the left who want to remove history which WON'T change it.  I think only those with warped, single mindinded views would removing a statue equate to "removing history".  Sounds like someone who thinks if they throw trash out their car window, it no longer exists.

 

 

It doesn't.  No Not, you're peddling a faux reality..... I doubt many, if any at all, think removing statues will change our past; but it could create a much better future for some, probably more than you could imagine.  Some whites hate blacks - some blacks hate whites.  What an insightfully brilliant comment.  I don't personally know anyone who HATES blacks.

 

I'm white, an Independent and don't fee one way or another about statues.  If some think they're offensive and should be removed....OK.

 

I think the people in the community where the statues sit are responsible for determining which statues stay and which ones don't.  I don't think it's your job (or mine) to tell one community how to operate.  I posted the same thing you posted above, much before you....

 

If someone else thinks it's history and therefore they should stay, I think they're mindless.  

You are welcome to YOUR OPINION!  Well, I thank you for the acknowlegment.

 

They are not "history", they, are a symbol and symbols can "expire".

This is YOUR OPINION.  Ya think?

 

The history will always exist in books, movies, documentaries, the hearts and minds of the informed, etc.

Maybe people like you will want to change history (books) next.  Oh no, NOT.  I'll need to contact you first to find out what 'people like me" would do first.  Just as I always do.....

 

Whatcha think, Napolian?

 

 

 

 If I draw a picture of an Ark, is it history?  Of course not!  Very limited thought process.

No relevance.  Actually it has plenty...you just missed it.

 

a real part (although an ugly part) of our American history...it's not a "part", it's symbolic of a part of history.  There are many more... and the left thinks that history will change or be forgotten if the statues go away ....really?  I think you're mistaken.  No one thinks it goes away; it's just not shoved in anyone's face any longer.  There is a significant difference.

Again, the people that live there should vote on stay or go (not you or I).  Again, <stomp, stomp), I said the same some time ago.  You were too busy attacking another poster and not paying attention.

 even though the local peoples may want to retain those statues.  Well, IMO, that's who should be making the decision.....not "mob rules"

 

But also IMO, you are way off base if you think the statues cause racism.....

 

The statues do not cause racist, Of course not....it was a bizarre point.  it is the left that beats the drums of racism each day and perpetuate those ugly days of yesteryear.  LOL. It's the ignorance of those who claim racism doesn't exist that keeps racism alive.   It's those who want to shove their symbols in the faces of others who demonstrate racism in our everyday lives.


Rather than confuse anyone else with all the quips you have made in varying colors, I disagree with everything you have posted and that is my opinion and you are (of course) welcome to yours  And the brilliant part NOT?  You say you disagreed with my opinion and I agreed with you.  I'm LMAO.....as is probably "the majority of Americans."

 

btw....history exists with or without a statue.  Does history exist before a monument is erected?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png