Reply
Honored Social Butterfly

Why are people still racist?

Why are people still racist? What science says about America’s race problem.

 

Torch-bearing white supremacists shouting racist and anti-Semitic slogans. Protesters and counter protesters colliding with violence and chaos. A car driven by a known Nazi sympathizer mowing down a crowd of activists.

 

Many Americans responded to this weekend's violence in Charlottesville with disbelieving horror. How could this happen in America, in 2017? “This is not who we are,” said Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine (D).

 

And yet, this is who we are.

 

Amid our modern clashes, researchers in psychology, sociology and neurology have been studying the roots of racism. We draw on that research and asked two scientists to explain why people feel and act this way toward each other.

 

What causes people to be racist?

 

“In some ways, it’s super simple. People learn to be whatever their society and culture teaches them. We often assume that it takes parents actively teaching their kids, for them to be racist. The truth is that unless parents actively teach kids not to be racists, they will be,” said Jennifer Richeson, a Yale University social psychologist. “This is not the product of some deep-seated, evil heart that is cultivated. It comes from the environment, the air all around us.”

 

Richeson compares children's instinctive formation of biases to a student at a new school. “When you arrive at a new high school. You are instinctively trying to figure out who’s cool, who’s not, who’s a nerd, who gets beat up? Kids quickly acquire these associations,” she said.

 

To get a sense of just how pervasive and imperceptibly our environment can affect us, one study at Tufts University found that even with a TV show on mute displaying scenes with no explicit discrimination, the nonverbal body language of black and white actors interacting was enough to cause watchers to test higher for implicit bias afterward.

 

“An us-them mentality is unfortunately a really basic part of our biology,” said Eric Knowles, a psychology professor at New York University who studies prejudice and politics. “There’s a lot of evidence that people have an ingrained even evolved tendency toward people who are in our so-called 'in group.'”

 

But how we define those groups, and the tendency to draw divisions along racial lines, is social, not biological, he added. “We can draw those lines in a number of ways that society tells us,” he said. 

 

When does racism drive people to commit violence?

 

“The most likely predictor of that is exposure to a kind of ideology,” Knowles said. Most if not all people carry implicit biases and unexamined prejudices, he said, and some may harbor feelings of fear or resentment that they don’t express in public.

 

More at:   Why are people still racist? What science says about America’s race problem.

 

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:


You underestimate the intelligence of the people who voted for Trump  Really?

 

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump

 

Education, Not Income, Predicted Who Would Vote For Trump

 

and I don't think that you can point to but a small fraction of the people that voted for him that are racist or bigots.

 

What percentage would you think?  Better yet, what percentage of "racist or bigots" would you think voted for trump?

 

And do you still think statues foster racism?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
147 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


Centristsin2010 wrote: 

and I don't think that you can point to but a small fraction of the people that voted for him that are racist or bigots.

 

What percentage would you think?  Better yet, what percentage of "racist or bigots" would you think voted for trump?

 

.001%

 

And do you still think statues foster racism?


Statues in themselves don't foster anything but is a remembrance of history.  The left fosters racism as you do continuing banging the drum every chance you get.

0 Kudos
173 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Centristsin2010 wrote: 

and I don't think that you can point to but a small fraction of the people that voted for him that are racist or bigots.

 

What percentage would you think?  Better yet, what percentage of "racist or bigots" would you think voted for trump?

 

.001%  Who do you think the others voted for?  You do know the racists said they were "Uniting The Right", don't you?

 

And do you still think statues foster racism?


Statues in themselves don't foster anything See?  We agree again, but earlier you suggested otherwise.  but is a remembrance of history. Yes it is, just like a Civil War book, a musket ball in a drawer, a penny with Lincoln on it....  Anything can be a rememberence of history.   The left fosters racism as you do continuing banging the drum every chance you get.  Really?  How am I fostering racism in you?  I'm white.  Am I fostering your racism against whites?  Has your feelings about Hispanics or Blacks changed at all?  How is our discussion here fostering racism in you?  Certainly you can't be speaking for others are you?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Social Butterfly

How many do you think supported his sexism?
Honored Social Butterfly


@mimi0000 wrote:
How many do you think supported his sexism?

Any male that is taking viagra LOL

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@CriticalThinking wrote:

Centrist said, "These kinds of racism can be much harder to address, because they involve the prejudices that we often don't talk or think about."

 

Great point Centrist. I would bet that most members of the Trump Cult do NOT perceive themselves as racists. But they aren't smart enough to understand the policies of the man they support in the White House is full of bigotry and hate. That's why the KKK and Nazi party loves Trump. Are those people blind?


Exactly what are you saying CT. that I as an immigrant  do not understand racism? I happen to be a registered Republican but, I do not support this Administration. doesn't that say something about many Republicans that also don't support this Administration. Or is it only the Democrats that are so intelligent that do no support this Administration.
Wow, that is something CT quite arrogant if you ask me. and even if you didn't
We are not blind and many like me are not blind. perhaps they don't come to this message board because they have seen the bias that prevails here.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Centrist said, "These kinds of racism can be much harder to address, because they involve the prejudices that we often don't talk or think about."

 

Great point Centrist. I would bet that most members of the Trump Cult do NOT perceive themselves as racists. But they aren't smart enough to understand the policies of the man they support in the White House is full of bigotry and hate. That's why the KKK and Nazi party loves Trump. Are those people blind?

 

Re read your post CT.members of the Trump cult. ? probably include Republicans that voted for Trump  or Republicans like me that  didn't vote for Trump.you say that we do not perceive ourselves as racists: but of course you know better?
If Trump supports the KKK, the Nazi party and the White Nationaliest, why do you apply that concept to all?
And that all that love Trump?  Yes, you are the  one that needs to read your post. and then realize that my answer was quite proper  and did address your post. 


 

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Centrist said, "These kinds of racism can be much harder to address, because they involve the prejudices that we often don't talk or think about."

 

Great point Centrist. I would bet that most members of the Trump Cult do NOT perceive themselves as racists. But they aren't smart enough to understand the policies of the man they support in the White House is full of bigotry and hate. That's why the KKK and Nazi party loves Trump. Are those people blind?

 

Re read your post CT.members of the Trump cult. ? probably include Republicans that voted for Trump  or Republicans like me that  didn't vote for Trump.you say that we do not perceive ourselves as racists: but of course you know better?
If Trump supports the KKK, the Nazi party and the White Nationaliest, why do you apply that concept to all?
And that all that love Trump?  Yes, you are the  one that needs to read your post. and then realize that my answer was quite proper  and did address your post. 


 


Well rker, you did post this comment which many find is racist, "He may have had a point/ luck at what is happening in this country with the muslim Americans."  I note you used a hyphenated term.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
136 Views
4
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:


 


Well rker, you did post this comment which many find is racist, "He may have had a point/ luck at what is happening in this country with the muslim Americans."  I note you used a hyphenated term.


Oh!!!! Chucks Centrists don't tell me, you actually wasted your time in looking up something that you can attack me with?  Really? LOL  wow, and I thought that you had more important things to do than wasting your time in trying to prove me incorrect. LOL LOL

Well, I really don't know in what context I wrote those words, but being mine I am sure that I was correct.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:


 


Well rker, you did post this comment which many find is racist, "He may have had a point/ luck at what is happening in this country with the muslim Americans."  I note you used a hyphenated term.


Oh!!!! Chucks Centrists don't tell me, you actually wasted your time in looking up something that you can attack me with?  Really? LOL  wow, and I thought that you had more important things to do than wasting your time in trying to prove me incorrect. LOL LOL  No worries, rker....didn't have to look far....usually don't; it was right here in this topic and was posted yesterday.

Well, I really don't know in what context I wrote those words, but being mine I am sure that I was correct.  That's what most of the Nazi's, KKK and White Supremacists in Charlottesville say about their beliefs as well.  "Obstinate devotion to one's beliefs and predujudices".  Sadly, a poster who had just said she was married to a Muslim-American had posted.  Apparently, it's a LOL matter to you.

 

Racism can be very hurtful.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
164 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

Racism can be very hurtful.

 That's what most of the Nazi's, KKK and White Supremacists in Charlottesville say about their beliefs as well.  "Obstinate devotion to one's beliefs and predujudices".  Sadly, a poster who had just said she was married to a Muslim-American had posted.  Apparently, it's a LOL matter to you.

Oh, so now you are really really playing low.  and I have stated I cannot remember now in the context that I wrote those words. but If I sounded racist. I will apologize the Nerdy Mom  if she asks me. 
So, now, what else is in your  mind? dear  more insults, accusations, bullying ? what else. Centrist. ?  I guess that you don't want to give up your reign easily. as far as seeing yourself as the editor in chief of this message  board.

no name
0 Kudos
177 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

 

Racism can be very hurtful.

 That's what most of the Nazi's, KKK and White Supremacists in Charlottesville say about their beliefs as well.  "Obstinate devotion to one's beliefs and predujudices".  Sadly, a poster who had just said she was married to a Muslim-American had posted.  Apparently, it's a LOL matter to you.

Oh, so now you are really really playing low.  Really?  It's "low" to point out a racist comment?  Most would think it was "low" to make a racist comment.  and I have stated I cannot remember now in the context that I wrote those words. So?  Go back a read them to learn the context.  but If I sounded racist. I will apologize the Nerdy Mom  if she asks me. Why should she have to ask?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
346 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

As I stated earlier, defending the core values of American is NOT the definition of being a liberal. Apparently that logic is too complex and confusing for some people.

 

Let me also say the following.

 

  • The Democratic Party is a national JOKE.
  • The Republican Party is a national DISGRACE.
Honored Social Butterfly


@CriticalThinking wrote:

As I stated earlier, defending the core values of American is NOT the definition of being a liberal. Apparently that logic is too complex and confusing for some people.

 

Let me also say the following.

 

  • The Democratic Party is a national JOKE.
  • The Republican Party is a national DISGRACE.

Gee CT. I wan'st aware that as an immigrant and the mother of 1st  generation of Americans, my words would alarm  you or to even say  that people like me wouldn't defend the core values of Americans, unless,......  you wer thinking on posting any of this in a different thread.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

Hey Centrist, I've taken a good look at your posts. Even though I don't always agree with you, I find them interesting and intelligent. And thank you for utilizing facts and logic, which seem to be foreign concepts to members of the Trump Cult. I just wish you would stop copying 25 paragraphs and would simply post your own words.

 

Centrist, don't you find it ironic when a poster claims to be a liberal for years, but after the White Rage candidate, Donald Trump is elected, he's suddenly a member of the Trump Cult? That means ignoring logic, facts, the truth, and defending Trump at all costs.

Honored Social Butterfly


@CriticalThinking wrote:

 

Centrist, don't you find it ironic when a poster claims to be a liberal for years, but after the White Rage candidate, Donald Trump is elected, he's suddenly a member of the Trump Cult? That means ignoring logic, facts, the truth, and defending Trump at all costs.


So who could be called a true Independent?  One who posts from the far left or one who defends the right of free speech?  Might say the same for anyone claiming to be a 'centrist', but posts from the far left also... 

 

Show me a post I have made where I have actively supported Trump....  Actually you and the others here on the far left has said that because I started looking at the liberal posts.  I am against false information from the liberal side.....   How can you claim to be independent when you denigrate and attack someone with different views than you? 

 

And yours, and the other poster's, comments aimed at me is the basic reason I distanced myself the crowd. 

0 Kudos
136 Views
3
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Tx,  with the reception and the biases that I have seen in this trhead, I wouldn't blame you, if you actually became a Republican. LOL

They are going overboard, and instead of really doing some planning as to how they are going to win elections. they have decided that is much more rewarding to come here and insult anyone that don't think like them.

no name
0 Kudos
132 Views
2
Report
Honored Social Butterfly




@Roxanna35 wrote:

Tx,  with the reception and the biases that I have seen in this trhead, I wouldn't blame you, if you actually became a Republican. LOL

They are going overboard, and instead of really doing some planning as to how they are going to win elections. they have decided that is much more rewarding to come here and insult anyone that don't think like them.


I am not obligated to either party, only to my political opinion of any candidate.  I never vote a straight ticket, but for the candidate I feel is best for the position.  

 

And yes they are going completely overboard when they start accusing an individual with differing opinion.  The common denominator is that both claim to be independent or centrist, yet their posts are towards the extreme left.  Almost to the point of being dictatorial.

 

I do have to wonder if the usual suspects only come here to instigate...they all seem to think that they are correct, and refuse to accept responsibility for themselves but need to blame it on others.

0 Kudos
172 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

"Not all racism is obvious. An employer might look through a list of job applicants and decide not to interview people with Arabic sounding surnames. Or a young guy from an African background might be followed around by security guards who assume he's going to steal something.

 

These kinds of racism can be much harder to address, because they involve the prejudices that we often don't talk or think about."

"Invisible" racism

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
153 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I guess that Tx is the one here that is being mentioned in many of the posts, although I have been quite clear on how I stand.
Scout, seems to blame Trump for the racism in the US  and finds any kind of excuse to blame the Republican Party of anything that he happens to dislike.
No wonder this country is so divided.  I don't think that any of you wouild know where to start.

You view races depending on your own political party.
have a very narrow view of minorities and their needs
And try to impose your own views on others. 
It is amazing as to  how closeminded many seem to be.
Sorry but if you think that with your views you are anywhere near to promote union or understanding of racism. hate to dissapoint you, but NO.
Your own political biases do not allow you to separate the issues.
So, here we are and here we will always be.
You can now attack me or say whatever you wish. I happen to hold in my little finger more knowledge on this subject than all of you combined. And if my words seem arrogant, is, because they are.

You all see racism with your own glasses, and cannot see this issue from others points of view
Good luck, but you will all fail.  as long as you cannot accept different points of view,

no name
0 Kudos
123 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

I guess that Tx is the one here that is being mentioned in many of the posts, although I have been quite clear on how I stand.
Scout, seems to blame Trump for the racism in the US  and finds any kind of excuse to blame the Republican Party of anything that he happens to dislike.
No wonder this country is so divided.  I don't think that any of you wouild know where to start.

You view races depending on your own political party.
have a very narrow view of minorities and their needs
And try to impose your own views on others. 
It is amazing as to  how closeminded many seem to be.
Sorry but if you think that with your views you are anywhere near to promote union or understanding of racism. hate to dissapoint you, but NO.
Your own political biases do not allow you to separate the issues.
So, here we are and here we will ever be.
You can now attack me or say whatever you wish. I happen to hold in my little finger more knowledge on this subject than all of you combined. And if my words seem arrogant, is, because they are.

You all see racism with your own glasses, and cannot see this issue from others points of view
Good luck, but you will all fail.  as long as you cannot accept different points of view,

no name
0 Kudos
121 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

 

No wonder this country is so divided.  I don't think that any of you wouild know where to start.

 


Correct, it is those who are posting divisiveness and and attacking, yes attacking as we can see from the two posts in a lovefest with each other.  In my opinion those like that are no better than was the two sides in Charlottesville. 

 

They are that what they claim to be against.

0 Kudos
143 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@CriticalThinking wrote:

Hey Centrist, I've taken a good look at your posts. Even though I don't always agree with you, I find them interesting and intelligent. And thank you for utilizing facts and logic, which seem to be foreign concepts to members of the Trump Cult. I just wish you would stop copying 25 paragraphs and would simply post your own words.

 

Centrist, don't you find it ironic when a poster claims to be a liberal for years, but after the White Rage candidate, Donald Trump is elected, he's suddenly a member of the Trump Cult? That means ignoring logic, facts, the truth, and defending Trump at all costs.


Good points, CeeTee.  Trump does attract mostly whites for sure and is a yuge hit with racists.

 

I find it interesting that anyone would change their political ideology simply because five people disagreed with them on equal rights, a mainstay of the Left.

 

So what are your thoughts on why people are still racist?  As we know, there aren't more racists than ever before; it's just that to many it's OK to be outwardly racist....I guess it's good to see them come out of the closet.  We know Trump made it acceptable.  But why do they find in their hearts that equality just doesn't apply to everyone?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
140 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly

Just my opinion ............

 

I think that racism is often generated from unjustified fear. At other times it is a reflection of what they learned from others.


Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

Just my opinion ............

 

I think that racism is often generated from unjustified fear. At other times it is a reflection of what they learned from others.


I do believe that fear plays a very important fact is the racism that exists today. fear of loosing the American culture that is familiar to them.

Inmigrants have brought not only their customs but also many times the interjection of their culture into the American culture.
They fear that they are loosing the American identity

Again,  I do feel that the assimilation process that has existed in the US has not been effective. in transitioning these immigrants in accepting the American culture.
There is many things that the government could do in order to make that process easier for many.
Schools that would teach the language, history and customs . 
I feel that once the immigrants hits the American ground they are left alone to their own devices or to the family that have brought them into the US.
Perhaps the need for the translation of documents would not be that necessary if they would be able to learn the language and the customs. 
It is important for a nation to be multilingual, but also be assured that their own national identity is not diluted.



no name
0 Kudos
161 Views
0
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@ChasKy53 wrote:

Just my opinion ............

 

I think that racism is often generated from unjustified fear. At other times it is a reflection of what they learned from others.

 

Good points, Chaz.  How do you think this applies to the KKK/NeoNazi's?  Do you think they fear minorities or is this mob mentality?  Or do you think they believe they are getting the short end of the stick.....you know, the "take back America" Klan?


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
181 Views
1
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Just my opinion ............

 

I think that racism is often generated from unjustified fear. At other times it is a reflection of what they learned from others.

 

Good points, Chaz.  How do you think this applies to the KKK/NeoNazi's?  Do you think they fear minorities or is this mob mentality?  Or do you think they believe they are getting the short end of the stick.....you know, the "take back America" Klan?


 


 

Not Chaz, but seems the neoNazis had some fear of other races that was nurtured by others - family, friends, the Internet, etc.. Things like Der Trumper and mass rallies give them the sense they are not alone, this gives them power and the sense of power drives them to commit acts of violence they feel are morally justified by those others who agree. Now they've got POTUS agreeing and using their tactics from the World's Greatest Bully-pulpit.

 

The fact their spiritual antecedents tried to "take back America" 1861-1865 and lost just makes them glorify the leaders of that terrible war and warp it into a crusaide for their "Nobel Cause" - racial superority enshrined in Law FOREVER.

Social Butterfly

We fear most what we know least.   More interaction with each other racees would help.  

 Lucky the kid that attends a multiple race school. It would be great to have television shows to  help  us become more familiar with other races.   

Honored Social Butterfly


@mimi0000 wrote:

We fear most what we know least.   More interaction with each other racees would help.  

 Lucky the kid that attends a multiple race school. It would be great to have television shows to  help  us become more familiar with other races.   


Can you really say, that we actually fear a kid that happens to be American(Cuban) of an American (mexican) or a black (africam American)
How can a kid that was born here and speaks English and goes to school would provide you with more familiarity  with other races?

Would a kid (Asian)American born here would you really need to understand the Asian culture?
The are as Americans as you are, see the same TV shows, movies, go to the same stores, buy the same records and DVD's   go to the same churches
Why would you in this case feel that you need to be familiar with these kids? and their races/nationality?
In the case of the Blacks, they have been here for generations? what is it that you need to learn about them?

no name
0 Kudos
258 Views
44
Report
Honored Social Butterfly


@Roxanna35 wrote:

@mimi0000 wrote:

We fear most what we know least.   More interaction with each other racees would help.  

 Lucky the kid that attends a multiple race school. It would be great to have television shows to  help  us become more familiar with other races.   


Can you really say, that we actually fear a kid that happens to be American(Cuban) of an American (mexican) or a black (africam American)
How can a kid that was born here and speaks English and goes to school would provide you with more familiarity  with other races?

Would a kid (Asian)American born here would you really need to understand the Asian culture?
The are as Americans as you are, see the same TV shows, movies, go to the same stores, buy the same records and DVD's   go to the same churches
Why would you in this case feel that you need to be familiar with these kids? and their races/nationality?
In the case of the Blacks, they have been here for generations? what is it that you need to learn about them?


They can teach you a lot.   It's not Asian culture they show you, but Asian American.   And Asian is a misnomer, anyway, including people from mainland China, Taiwan, India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, and more.   

 

Almost all my neighbors are immigrants.   The kids are born here.   They are from Argentina, Russia, Eritrea, China, Iran, Korea, Japan, Bangladesh, and India.   Food, music, religion, choice of sports, choice of musical instruments.   Dinner times.  That's a big one in our neighborhood.  My youngest kid is the only one who eats at 5:30.  All the rest of the neighorhood kids seem to eat at 9 or 10 at night.  

 

We get more Chinese candy at Halloween than any other type. 

 

One of my son's Korean-American friends is teaching him to play the gayageum.  I never would have known what that was, if not for the neighbors. 

 

So while they bond over Minecraft and Chesskid.com and Despacito (god help me), they learn a lot of other things from one another, too. 

 

And it's great.   

 

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png