Honored Social Butterfly

Why are people still racist?

Why are people still racist? What science says about America’s race problem.

Torch-bearing white supremacists shouting racist and anti-Semitic slogans. Protesters and counter protesters colliding with violence and chaos. A car driven by a known Nazi sympathizer mowing down a crowd of activists.

Many Americans responded to this weekend's violence in Charlottesville with disbelieving horror. How could this happen in America, in 2017? “This is not who we are,” said Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine (D).

And yet, this is who we are.

Amid our modern clashes, researchers in psychology, sociology and neurology have been studying the roots of racism. We draw on that research and asked two scientists to explain why people feel and act this way toward each other.

What causes people to be racist?

“In some ways, it’s super simple. People learn to be whatever their society and culture teaches them. We often assume that it takes parents actively teaching their kids, for them to be racist. The truth is that unless parents actively teach kids not to be racists, they will be,” said Jennifer Richeson, a Yale University social psychologist. “This is not the product of some deep-seated, evil heart that is cultivated. It comes from the environment, the air all around us.”

Richeson compares children's instinctive formation of biases to a student at a new school. “When you arrive at a new high school. You are instinctively trying to figure out who’s cool, who’s not, who’s a nerd, who gets beat up? Kids quickly acquire these associations,” she said.

To get a sense of just how pervasive and imperceptibly our environment can affect us, one study at Tufts University found that even with a TV show on mute displaying scenes with no explicit discrimination, the nonverbal body language of black and white actors interacting was enough to cause watchers to test higher for implicit bias afterward.

“An us-them mentality is unfortunately a really basic part of our biology,” said Eric Knowles, a psychology professor at New York University who studies prejudice and politics. “There’s a lot of evidence that people have an ingrained even evolved tendency toward people who are in our so-called 'in group.'”

But how we define those groups, and the tendency to draw divisions along racial lines, is social, not biological, he added. “We can draw those lines in a number of ways that society tells us,” he said. 

When does racism drive people to commit violence?

“The most likely predictor of that is exposure to a kind of ideology,” Knowles said. Most if not all people carry implicit biases and unexamined prejudices, he said, and some may harbor feelings of fear or resentment that they don’t express in public.

More at:   Why are people still racist? What science says about America’s race problem.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

You claiting forim racism was positive during the Obama administration, but also brought up incidents that says otherwise.  No, Obama fostered racism more than attempting to bring the nation together; he did more to divide the country than any president before and now we're reaping the results. 

Can you please show documentation of some kind as to how Obama did this? I sure won't be holding my breath ! Just more empty words.

Still waiting for an explation of his claim about "racial differences" several days ago......nada.....

Some just spew their hate without giving it a second thought.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

You claim racism was positive during the Obama administration, but also brought up incidents that says otherwise.  No, Obama fostered racism more than attempting to bring the nation together; he did more to divide the country than any president before and now we're reaping the results. 

Can you please show documentation of some kind as to how Obama did this? I sure won't be holding my breath ! Just more empty words.

Here's a link to YOUR answer: How Obama Left Us More Racially Divided Than Ever 

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/13/how-obama-left-us-more-racially-divided-than-ever/

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

You claim racism was positive during the Obama administration, but also brought up incidents that says otherwise.  No, Obama fostered racism more than attempting to bring the nation together; he did more to divide the country than any president before and now we're reaping the results. 

http://thefederalist.com/2016/07/13/how-obama-left-us-more-racially-divided-than-ever/

The 'Federalist'?   Do you ever use a source that is middle of the road? Do you even know of any?

I disagree with your source's biased opinion. What caused division during Obama's term is the racism that got stirred because of those sharing racist attitudes and feelings (even sublime in nature), and simply could not accept a Black Man as president. Now they blame it on Obama instead of looking at themselves.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

The 'Federalist'?   Do you ever use a source that is middle of the road? Do you even know of any?

I disagree with your source's biased opinion. What caused division during Obama's term is the racism that got stirred because of those sharing racist attitudes and feelings (even sublime in nature), and simply could not accept a Black Man as president. Now they blame it on Obama instead of looking at themselves.

@ChasKy53 That is so funny coming from a poster that uses Talking Points Memo as a source for some of your recent posts.

LOL!!

Can you say HYPOCRACY??

VIMTSTL
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

You asked for an answer and now you don't like the source?  Did you even read it?  Don't ever ask a question if you don't REALLY want an answer.

Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

You asked for an answer and now you don't like the source?  Did you even read it?  Don't ever ask a question if you don't REALLY want an answer.

You're right, Chas.

According to the non-biased, media biase fact check, The Federalist is a right-wing site along the lines of WND and the NRA.  Facts matter.....

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/right/

To another's silly point, there is a difference between posting FACTS from a biased source and posting opinion.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Do we have the list of whom we're allowed to quote? That's like going into a library and looking under world history and finding just one book.

Debate the data/information/substance not the source... that's spin and diversion and fear of the truth.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Do we have the list of whom we're allowed to quote? That's like going into a library and looking under world history and finding just one book.

Debate the data/information/substance not the source... that's spin and diversion and fear of the truth.

You are REQUIRED to use left wing biased media like Huffington Post or MSNBC when posting references to liberals!  Any thing they don't like is forbidden and FAKE.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

You are REQUIRED to use left wing biased media like Huffington Post or MSNBC when posting references to liberals!  Any thing they don't like is forbidden and FAKE.

And just for you, Not; you can use CBS.

I see the Conservatives are out posting their usual outrageous lies again today.....

Honored Social Butterfly

@ cent

Let's assume your right and I'm wrong. Can I appear to be wrong without lying? and can you appear right by lying?

If you look at the complexity of our legal system then you might discover there some honest disagreements around... and they use lots of sources.

... just sayin'

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

I see the Conservatives are out posting their usual outrageous lies again today.....

Oh, I thank you most humbly for "allowing me" to use CBS for media information.  You no longer accept Huffington Post and MSNBC as Gospel?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Which outrgeous lies are they? The ones that say we cannot even discuss anything from Breitbart, the Washington Times, or Fox News but we must accept as "gospel" anything from SPLC, RawStory, or Progressive.org?

Or did you have some other "lies" you'd like to discuss.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Do you usually use noted politically bigoted sources opinion as fact?

Any opinion on the actual topic subject?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Racism is a form of selfishness. The root of all sin.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Racism is a form of selfishness. The root of all sin.

Amen to THAT!

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Watch little kids play... they need to be taught to "share". We usta be graded on;

"shares and plays well with others".

So I ask... how can you tell when someone is not racist?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Those who aren't racists would never support racists or racist behavior.  I look where folks choose to stand.

And you?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

When the mouth opens lies come out.... out of anyone. What someone "says" you're a racist or I'm not a racist, that can be faked.

A person who isn't racist is generous, caring, responsible, honest. These virtues live in a place you can't see or hear. It's cultivated by others and isn't a "natural" thing. Requires a spiritual component to grow, and needs to be refreshed often, to stay healthy.

If you live in such a manner you are not a racist, you are living proof.

We are all selfish, some more then others, but all are selfish- therefore we are all capable of racism.

" The sum of us all is, we would most truly enjoy the gift of heaven, let us become a virtuous people; then shall we both deserve and enjoy it. While on the other hand, if we universally are vicious and debauched in our manners, we shall in reality be the most abject slaves".

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Can you explain why racism wasn't a topic of national discussion during the Obama administration, but now it is?  Sure.  When Obama was in office, he didn't stoke the flames of racism; didn't make racist comments during his campaign and didn't align with the KKK, White Nationalists/Alt-Right.  All things that are happening now.  Obama didn't embolden and support hate groups and encourage violence like the current President has. 

But during the Obama administration there were several racial situations from Trevon Martin, Michael Brown and their respective communities; more cell phone video of cops using excessive force, Dylan Roof.  I could go on but it's unnecessary.  One was a positive influence and your guy, trump is a pig and has a negative impact on almost everything he touches.

So your premise is wrong....racism was a topic during the Obama Administration, it was mostly positive.  With trump, it isn't.

I'm sure that during the decades long that those statues have been standing, through the civil rights movement, etc, that they didn't suddenly become an evil racist influence on the nation.  And no one suggested otherwise......just evidence of your wanting to find something and someone to argue with.  Make a false accusation and then argue against it.  LMAO!  Typical.

And you still glossed over why there wasn't all this call to take the statues down during Obama's administration.  Instead you brought up about some Black incidents. LMAO!  What a joke....that wasn't the question you asked, you asked, "Can you explain why racism wasn't a topic of national discussion during the Obama administration, but now it is?" And now you invoke statues.  LOL!  Racism has a way of confusing people because they try to dance around their own personal potholes.  You make statements and don't even know what they mean and ask questions that you don't even understand.  It's frankly, laughable.

I have to wonder if Obama didn't encourage bias by his reaction to a purely local matter with the Henry Louis Gates incident when he interfered on behalf of a personal friend based on a local non-racial matter?  IMO, only racists  would think it "encouraged racism" because they are always looking for a racism to validate their hate.   

You claim racism was positive during the Obama administration, but also brought up incidents that says otherwise.  No, that's not what I claimed.....that's another LIE, Tex.  I said Obama handled racism in a far more positive way than trump.  It's truly sad and pathetic to see a poster lie about what another posts here.  Until you can explain it or apologize for your lying, I'm done with you.....

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I'm done with you.....

You just can't resist blaming everything on others can you?  But hopefully you will stick with that comment above, not only here but in other posts....Some has just too big an ego to follow through ..

Another topic that perhaps has ran it's course.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Can you explain why racism wasn't a topic of national discussion during the Obama administration, but now it is?  Sure.  When Obama was in office, he didn't stoke the flames of racism; didn't make racist comments during his campaign and didn't align with the KKK, White Nationalists/Alt-Right.  All things that are happening now.  Obama didn't embolden and support hate groups and encourage violence like the current President has. 

But during the Obama administration there were several racial situations from Trevon Martin, Michael Brown and their respective communities; more cell phone video of cops using excessive force, Dylan Roof.  I could go on but it's unnecessary.  One was a positive influence and your guy, trump is a pig and has a negative impact on almost everything he touches.

So your premise is wrong....racism was a topic during the Obama Administration, it was mostly positive.  With trump, it isn't.

It's cute how you start a divisive discussion, attacking others and just ignore providing a response to your divisiveness.  YOU said, A.P. and I were, "keeping racial differences".  What racial differences, Tex?

You also claimed racism was partisan, yet you are the only one here who has attempted to mack it such.

I find it interesting that you continually discover that you and those who think like you are the problem in our society.  It's quite telling.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

It's cute how you start a divisive discussion, attacking others and just ignore providing a response to your divisiveness.  YOU said, A.P. and I were, "keeping racial differences".  What racial differences, Tex?

You also claimed racism was partisan, yet you are the only one here who has attempted to mack (sic) it such.

More of your attempt to project your opinions by blaming others for your remarks.  The 'Eddie Haskel' syndrome, always innocent.  It's telling about your posts never taking responsibility, blaming others.  And yes, it is partism, yet the liberal element refuses to admit that is their platform...What is good for their views is best for everyone. 

And ever the one who has to always be right and others wrong. 

It would be better going out a discussion with a fencepost.  Have a good day.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

You also claimed racism was partisan, yet you are the only one here who has attempted to mack (sic) it such.

More of your attempt to project your opinions by blaming others for your remarks.  The 'Eddie Haskel' syndrome, always innocent.  It's telling about your posts never taking responsibility, blaming others.  And yes, it is partism, yet the liberal element refuses to admit that is their platform...What is good for their views is best for everyone. 

And ever the one who has to always be right and others wrong. 

It would be better going out a discussion with a fencepost.  Have a good day.

Hmmm ..... your reply looks like it could be "Eddie Haskel's" !!!

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

You are the one with a major in psychology, you tell me.   You made the comment, I didn't.  What "racial diferences" are YOU talking about?  All I have is a background of interacting with people of different culturals, races, etc..  Great!  What "racial differences" did you observe?  Again, you raised the point. 

"Really?"  What would the frequent use of that expression indicate?  Disbelief.  Thanks for asking....

The last sentence is meant to be elitist?  And sarcastic?

I was replying to your post.  Racism isn't partisan?  Can you explain why Confederate statues wasn't a problem during the Obama administration, but during others it is?  Can you explain why racism wasn't a topic of national discussion during the Obama administration, but now it is? 

Simple - there wasn't a lying racist bleep in the oval office.

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

They are morally and ethically bankrupt and richly deserve every bit of disrespect and insult tendered them by the majority of citizens in this nation - that majority of morally and ethically upstanding people in this nation...

You and the other poster would prefer 'stirring up the pot' and keeping racial differences continue rather than working proactively to promote a better understanding among the races?  This seems apparent for several posters here.

IMO, not enough people are standing up against prejudice, more especially in reference to racism. If enough people stood up against it, the problem would shrink away. Letting White Supremacist groups flourish and spread their poison freely certainly isn't the answer. Whenever racist persecution or mistreatment occurs, everyone having knowledge of it should speak loudly against it. Do you? "Understanding" alone isn't what is needed, fair and equal treatment is the answer.

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Whenever racist persecution or mistreatment occurs, everyone having knowledge of it should speak loudly against it. Do you? "Understanding" alone isn't what is needed, fair and equal treatment is the answer.

Can you say that instead of just speaking against racialism but attempting to work for creating conditions?  From what I see here there is just a lot of blowing smoke based on partisanship.   How many of these posts have been advocating working to eliminate it, instead of shouting against others? 

I believe from the sound of those posts that it is just attempting to play one-upmanship.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Absolutely correct!

Stir the pot!    Keep stirring the pot!

Racists, white supremacists, Alt-Right, Alt-Christians, and Nazis richly deserve massive amounts of public opprobrium.

They are morally and ethically bankrupt and richly deserve every bit of disrespect and insult tendered them by the majority of citizens in this nation - that majority of morally and ethically upstanding people in this nation...

You and the other poster would prefer 'stirring up the pot' and keeping racial differences continue rather than working proactively to promote a better understanding among the races?  This seg lackems apparent for several posters here.

Yep - all the racists, white supremacists, Alt-Right, Alt-Christians, Nazis, skinheads, separatists and other scum are lousy Americans for whom I have absolutely no respect - along with those whose feeble and unconvincing "almost criticism" and "both sides" disingenuity amounts to tacit in-the-closet approval of the right wing terrorists...

Stir up the pot against those I'm absolutely certain maliciously intend to reverse and are hindering understanding between the races?  

You bet! - all day - every day!

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

I agree, "nc"  Actually, there hasn't been enough "stirring the pot" as far as racism is concerned.  If there had been an appropriate amount of stirring the pot, Charlottesville wouldn't have happened....Dylan Roof may not have happened.....the clown in Portland, the killing of the Dallas cops and more recently, Orlando and Pennsylvania. We've made much progress, but not nearly enough......too many whities denying racism exists and others complaining about the "pot being stirred".  Unenlightened souls, indeed.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:
@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

That could apply to several here who keeps invoking racism to stir things up.

psssst, tex.......racist NEED to be stirred up.....and shown the door.....or change.

pssssst, Centrist....that is the problem racism is being stirred up resulting in riots, arguments, etc.  Only racists are troubled about the possibility of riots breaking out or a disagreement in a discussion about racism.  There's nothing to be afraid of, Tex.

There some (sic) who keeps the pot stirred while others dedicate to creating an atmosphere where people can understand each other.  Well, to Bachman and Trump and the Nazi's and KKK all want to "go back to the way things were, back in the 50's".  Most see that as code for, "let's put minorities back in the place.  This is what has happened because some are too chicken-hearted to discuss the topic.  Like you, you'd rather post here and bemoan the fact the topic exists vs. just ignoring it and leave it to others to discuss.  IMO, that speaks more about what's going on than anything else. Do you think your posts over the years is doing that or creating an atmosphere of 'us versus them', Who's "us", Tex?  Who's "them"?    i.e. a tally of how many Blacks are killed by law enforcement?  That's a perfect example of the LIES you post here.....continually!  I've seen you post that several times before and it's always been a lie.....but it's time I call you on it!   I've NEVER posted any such nonsense.  Sounds like someone is "obstinately devoted to his opinion and prejudices".  Why would you post a lie like that about another poster, Tex?  Is lying about another poster in an attempt to disparage them against the TOS?  If it isn't, maybe it should be.  And how do we know it's a lie?  You can't locate a single topic/post on that subject I've posted.

Please answer each of those questions, Tex.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Sounds like someone is "obstinately devoted to his opinion and prejudices".  Why would you post a lie like that about another poster, Tex?  Is lying about another poster in an attempt to disparage them against the TOS?  If it isn't, maybe it should be.  And how do we know it's a lie?  You can't locate a single topic/post on that subject I've posted.

As usual the vigilantes jump on anyone not participating in the partisan group think.  And accusation of lies.  Even denying the many threads of 'cops killing Blacks' that you have made here with tallys.  Who is lying about another poster? 

There are no questions to answer. 

And here is what I posted:  "There some who keeps the pot stirred while others dedicate to creating an atmosphere where people can understand each other.  Do you think your posts over the years is doing that or creating an atmosphere of 'us versus them', i.e. a tally of how many Blacks are killed by law enforcement?"

All the responses was purely partisan following the leader of the pack. 

And I'll throw out the question why all of this about discrimination against statues, etc is coming out now but very little during the Obama administation?  And is your continual posting about racism being proactive, or stirring the pot?  I think the latter...nothing constructive about solving the problem.  You think that my comments about creating an atmosphere where there is understanding each other is wrong?  Or perhaps the purpose is to separate and divide posters here?

Awaiting the negative responses just like what was posted in response to me here.  The mass denials never fail from the 'Amen Corner'.

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png