Honored Social Butterfly

Why are people still racist?

Why are people still racist? What science says about America’s race problem.

Torch-bearing white supremacists shouting racist and anti-Semitic slogans. Protesters and counter protesters colliding with violence and chaos. A car driven by a known Nazi sympathizer mowing down a crowd of activists.

Many Americans responded to this weekend's violence in Charlottesville with disbelieving horror. How could this happen in America, in 2017? “This is not who we are,” said Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine (D).

And yet, this is who we are.

Amid our modern clashes, researchers in psychology, sociology and neurology have been studying the roots of racism. We draw on that research and asked two scientists to explain why people feel and act this way toward each other.

What causes people to be racist?

“In some ways, it’s super simple. People learn to be whatever their society and culture teaches them. We often assume that it takes parents actively teaching their kids, for them to be racist. The truth is that unless parents actively teach kids not to be racists, they will be,” said Jennifer Richeson, a Yale University social psychologist. “This is not the product of some deep-seated, evil heart that is cultivated. It comes from the environment, the air all around us.”

Richeson compares children's instinctive formation of biases to a student at a new school. “When you arrive at a new high school. You are instinctively trying to figure out who’s cool, who’s not, who’s a nerd, who gets beat up? Kids quickly acquire these associations,” she said.

To get a sense of just how pervasive and imperceptibly our environment can affect us, one study at Tufts University found that even with a TV show on mute displaying scenes with no explicit discrimination, the nonverbal body language of black and white actors interacting was enough to cause watchers to test higher for implicit bias afterward.

“An us-them mentality is unfortunately a really basic part of our biology,” said Eric Knowles, a psychology professor at New York University who studies prejudice and politics. “There’s a lot of evidence that people have an ingrained even evolved tendency toward people who are in our so-called 'in group.'”

But how we define those groups, and the tendency to draw divisions along racial lines, is social, not biological, he added. “We can draw those lines in a number of ways that society tells us,” he said. 

When does racism drive people to commit violence?

“The most likely predictor of that is exposure to a kind of ideology,” Knowles said. Most if not all people carry implicit biases and unexamined prejudices, he said, and some may harbor feelings of fear or resentment that they don’t express in public.

More at:   Why are people still racist? What science says about America’s race problem.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

and then there is reality:   When talking about whiteness

Are you open to a sincere conversation in which you might learn something you didn't know? And are you open to doing this without name calling or dismissing ideas? 

If they answer 'no' to this or can't answer 'yes' then there is no conversation to be had and it might be best to nod politely and say, "Okay. Well you know where to find me when you're ready to talk." or to block them on Facebook and to tell them why. Nothing good will come of a conversation with someone who is unwilling to engage it openly and sincerely. 

Here is the follow-up:   

Whiteness is a hatred of ancestry that doesn't know itself as such.

Sometimes it appears overtly in the white person committed to social justice who, the more they learn about their ancestry, the more they hate it. "I come from that?" they think to themselves. "How could anything good have come from that?" This kind of self hatred is obvious.

Sometimes it appears more covertly in the realms of white nationalism and white surpremacy.

How could the love and valourization of whiteness be self hatred? They are saying, "I'm white! White people have created Western Civilzation! White people are geniuses. White people are the dominant race!" etc.

I know it sounds like self love. I am suggesting that it is, in fact, self-loathing.

When white people point to all that white people have done for the world in terms of civilization and technology, let's be clear that they are talking about Empire. They are talking about that loose path from Greece to Rome to England to North America. They are talking about the victors. They are talking about the elite.

They aren't talking about the European peasantry. They aren't talking about those European Indigenous ones crushed under the heel of the boot of progress. They are talking about that historical 1% whose Empires flourished on the subjugation of others. Empires have always been built on the mass use of slavery and the theft of land.

So, do the math.

Most of our ancestors were not the elite. Most of our ancestors, unless you come from Royal blood, were the peasants. Most of our ancestors were the historical 99%.

And white nationalism disavows them entirely. White nationalists tell themselves the story that their peasant ancestors were happy to embrace their Roman conquerors. That Empire was where it was all going anyway.

And so, white nationalists hate their own people. They love the concept of whiteness but they hate their actual ancestors.

They look at indigenous people today and feel a revulsion of them being backwards and resisting progress and being 'in the way' but what they are really feeling, utterly unbeknownst even to themselves, is a hatred of their own old timers. It's a deep wishing that we didn't come from what we actually came from or a deep unwillingness to learn the truth of it.

Dave Chappelle created a sketch on his show about a fellow named Clayton Bigsby who was a black white supremacist. He was blind and didn't know he was black and so, not knowing who he was, hated black people deeply and, with his Klan hood on, would speak to Klan rallies.

It's not that far off the mark from the reality of white people who are deeply in love with Empire and don't realize that 99% of their ancestors (and frankly, perhaps 100%) come from those people who resisted and were eventually defeated by Empire and became colonized into it at the point of a sword and forced conversion where you chose between Christ or burning.

Whiteness creates a fictional, glorious past and erases the real one.

Whiteness, a construct that began in earnest, in North America in the 1670's, is projected backwards in time (be clear that the English did not always consider themselves White and the Greeks and Romans never did).

White Nationalism often appears as a self aggrandizement, a puffing up of the chest that occurs in order to cover the deep, spiritual emptiness and cultural poverty that Empire created and that whiteness exists to hide.

Now let's see if those who write nonsense are really interested in learning or if they are indeed just writing words to write words.   
PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Honored Social Butterfly

Personally, I'm fine with hyphens.

But I always call people what they want to be called.    

Honored Social Butterfly

@NerdyMom wrote:

I agree with your last sentence, but what about the poster who isn't a hyphenated American arguing with one takes offense at being referred by that?  Is he practicing racism?  I believe so, even with his insisting that he isn't.  And that with his continuing to argue with Rker.  He's speaking from the standpoint of being a native American.

Neither my wife nor our extended circle of immigrant friends refer to themselves as hyphenated Americans, just plain Americans.

Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

I agree with your last sentence, but not the first sentence?  That's hilarious!  but what about the poster who isn't a hyphenated American arguing with one takes offnse at being referred by that? LOL!  Now that's funny!  Arguing?  Hardly.  Try to understand, yep!  For more than some here want to do.  Is he practicing racism?  I believe so, Of course you do.  I'm oppressing rker because I don't understand why she chooses to be offended.  That doesn't equate to racism, but I'm not surprised at your lame attempt to call it such.  Shoot, Cent hasn't called her by the hyphenated name she dispises.  even with his insisting that he isn't.  And that with his continuing to argue with Rker.  LOL.  Cent was just pointing out the hypocrisy of one using the term Muslim American after complaining that the term was racist.  Any reasonably intelligent adult can see the hypocrisy.

He's speaking from the standpoint of being a native American.  And wrong again, Tex.  I am NOT a native American.  HOW RACIST!!!

Neither my wife nor our extended circle of immigrant friends refer to themselves as hyphenated Americans, just plain Americans.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

I agree with your last sentence, but what about the poster who isn't a hyphenated American arguing with one takes offense at being referred by that?  Is he practicing racism?  I believe so, even with his insisting that he isn't.  And that with his continuing to argue with Rker.  He's speaking from the standpoint of being a native American.

Centrist?  I think they just have a difference of opinion.  And I think on this topic (hyphenated descriptors), many will continue to have a difference of opinion.   That's why I call people what they want to be called.  

I find the whole hyphen thing to be tricky.  Sometimes white people want to erase the hyphen as a way of erasing cultural differences.   White wash everyone, as it were.  Sometimes white people use the hyphen as a way to devalue others.   Oh, they aren't really white.   They are Italian.   Very common in my mother's generation around here.  So even if Rker doesn't want her (?) or her kids to be referred to as Cuban American, you better believe there are white people saying just that in an effort to exclude or devalue.  

So maybe I'm just avoiding the whole fight.    But that's why I call people what they want to be called.  

And maybe it's just different here.   A full third of my county is immigrants.   From everywhere.   People here refer to their country or culture of origin all the time.  To me, they are all American.   This is the country they have chosen. It's fine for them to be different from me.  That doesn't make them any less American.   Not to me, anyway.   My anchor is the Constitution, not the culture. It has to be.   Conservative, rural America has a completely different culture than what I'm used to, for example.   What unites us is the Constitution.   At least I hope it does.   

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NerdyMom wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@NerdyMom wrote:

Centrist?  I think they just have a difference of opinion.  And I think on this topic (hyphenated descriptors), many will continue to have a difference of opinion.   That's why I call people what they want to be called.  

I find the whole hyphen thing to be tricky.  Sometimes white people want to erase the hyphen as a way of erasing cultural differences.   White wash everyone, as it were.  Sometimes white people use the hyphen as a way to devalue others.   Oh, they aren't really white.   They are Italian.   Very common in my mother's generation around here.  So even if Rker doesn't want her (?) or her kids to be referred to as Cuban American, you better believe there are white people saying just that in an effort to exclude or devalue.  

So maybe I'm just avoiding the whole fight.    But that's why I call people what they want to be called.  

And maybe it's just different here.   A full third of my county is immigrants.   From everywhere.   People here refer to their country or culture of origin all the time.  To me, they are all American.   This is the country they have chosen. It's fine for them to be different from me.  That doesn't make them any less American.   Not to me, anyway.   My anchor is the Constitution, not the culture. It has to be.   Conservative, rural America has a completely different culture than what I'm used to, for example.   What unites us is the Constitution.   At least I hope it does.   

Excellent response, NerdyMom.  Cooler heads usually prevail.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@NerdyMom wrote:

So even if Rker doesn't want her (?) or her kids to be referred to as Cuban American, you better believe there are white people saying just that in an effort to exclude or devalue.  

As far as I can remember it is only in the media that anyone is referred as hyphenated American.  And I might add on here also.  I grew up in the early 1940s and never heard any hyphenated terms until not too many decades ago when the politically correct crowd started telling others how to act and what to say. 

Honored Social Butterfly

After intimating that I had offended  Nerdy Mom in one of my posts which happened not to be true but a diversion of what the poster wanted to communicate, now apparently he has found and excerpt from a post by Nerdy Mom that apparently fits his needs in this issue.

Because he has very little understanding as to what has instigated racism in other countries, he simply  is placing his experience in what he has seen here. Like I have notated  his ethocentrism is by far too large and incapable to see anyone elses opinions.
 I have lived as a minority in ths country too many years, not to have a persoanl opinion of what it is to be one.
He may think that he is correct. but I have lived too many times with the fact that too many people when they look at me have said. "But, you don't look like a Cuban"  intimating that because I don't look "black" It is surprising to them that I could be a Cuban.
Not being Mexican, I don't look like an native American  extraction, therefore I simply confuse them. in what their expectatin have always been. 
It is important to see the images that Hollywood for years  shown the American on what a "latino"  should look like. and it is very recently that now Latinos are seen in  a different light.
Years ago, in the regular census Cubans were not recognized as whites or caucasian. it took time for the census to actually understand that Cuban is not a race but a nationality, and that Cubans come in all sorts of flavors.
So yes, when I see my children being referred  to as Cuban Americans, yes, I do consider that as an insult to them. If many others don't see that, Good for them they have a place in this society. 
But don't tell me, that many hyphenated Amricans feel in  the manner that the poster has stated, because, I know they don't
And if Nerdy Mom hasn't experienced  the difference, and I  hope that she never will. I hope that her chlldren  meet all kind, and educated americans that  never utter the dreaded word. "muslim americans" with the negative implication that the hyhenenated  name implies for many "amercians"
So, until the time that the poster realizes that his vision is a very narrow vision as to what he thinks is the root of racism he will always bring about this discussion to try to convice everyont that he is the arbitrer of the truth.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

After intimating that I had offended  Nerdy Mom in one of my posts which happened not to be true but a diversion of what the poster wanted to communicate, now apparently he has found and excerpt from a post by Nerdy Mom that apparently fits his needs in this issue.

Because he has very little understanding as to what has instigated racism in other countries, he simply  is placing his experience in what he has seen here. Like I have notated  his ethocentrism is by far too large and incapable to see anyone elses opinions.
 I have lived as a minority in ths country too many years, not to have a persoanl opinion of what it is to be one.
He may think that he is correct. but I have lived too many times with the fact that too many people when they look at me have said. "But, you don't look like a Cuban"  intimating that because I don't look "black" It is surprising to them that I could be a Cuban.
Not being Mexican, I don't look like an native American  extraction, therefore I simply confuse them. in what their expectatin have always been. 
It is important to see the images that Hollywood for years  shown the American on what a "latino"  should look like. and it is very recently that now Latinos are seen in  a different light.
Years ago, in the regular census Cubans were not recognized as whites or caucasian. it took time for the census to actually understand that Cuban is not a race but a nationality, and that Cubans come in all sorts of flavors.
So yes, when I see my children being referred  to as Cuban Americans, yes, I do consider that as an insult to them. If many others don't see that, Good for them they have a place in this society. 
But don't tell me, that many hyphenated Amricans feel in  the manner that the poster has stated, because, I know they don't
And if Nerdy Mom hasn't experienced  the difference, and I  hope that she never will. I hope that her chlldren  meet all kind, and educated americans that  never utter the dreaded word. "muslim americans" with the negative implication that the hyhenenated  name implies for many "amercians"
So, until the time that the poster realizes that his vision is a very narrow vision as to what he thinks is the root of racism he will always bring about this discussion to try to convice everyont that he is the arbitrer of the truth.

Nice rant, rker, but several mistruths stated, but first, you made one accurate point,

Admittedly, I do not know what instigates racism in other countries.  If you'd like to share what you know here about why people are racists, feel free.  It is the topic you know.

Now, to the falsehoods:

1.  You claimed I am unable to see others' opinions.  I challenge you to find any poster, in any topic you've been a part of, that has taken the time, interest and effort to understand your POV while you constantly told the other their opinion didn't matter.  If you find one, let me know and I'll never post here again;

2.  You claim, "he may think he's correct"....well rker, I have news for you.  It may be earthshattering for you to hear, I am correct.  Some aren't bothered by being referred to with a hyphen....THEY use the hyphen to describe themselves; another poster states they aren't bothered by it.  It's not an all or nothing situation.  You are offended by the use of a hyphen.  Wonderful.  I would think, though I might be wrong, that you have taught others that they should be offended as well.  As many have suggested on this forum, racism is often taught and passed along generations.  Maybe you have done this as well, unwittingly. You did say you saw it as an insult to your children if they were referred to as Cuban-Americans.  Were they insulted or did you teach them to be insulted. You can choose to be offended if you'd like....it's OK.....no rant needed.  But as another poster said and I said as well, we both use hyphens if the person prefers it.  It's called RESPECT!  Mutual respect!  Racism is never respectful...

3.  You posted, "But don't tell me, that many hyphenated Amricans feel in  the manner that the poster has stated, because, I know they don't."  You missed the point; I've only supported using the "hyphen" when the individual themself uses one....

You have claimed the hyphen is the basis of racism in this country.  I disagree, I think racism is much deeper than that and far more harmful than identifying one's heritage.  But I side on caution, personally, and don't use the hyphen unless one indicates their preferrence to use the hyphen.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Nobody hyphenates Muslim American here, because so many people don't view Muslims as American.  Even though overwhelmingly, most Muslims here in America were born here.  

Yes, they've been discriminated against plenty since Trump started his presidential campaign.  

Honored Social Butterfly

@NerdyMom wrote:

Nobody hyphenates Muslim American here, because so many people don't view Muslims as American.  Even though overwhelmingly, most Muslims here in America were born here.  

Yes, they've been discriminated against plenty since Trump started his presidential campaign.  

Thank you Nerdy Mom and I do hope that no one ever refers to your children as MUslim Americans, yes, they are Americans, and they will always be Americans,
And if anyone doesn't understand that too bad for them. That is a fight that should never be. it should never even have started.  Sorry, but there is a lot of workd to do on this issue.

no name
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

rker321 wrote:

That is a fight that should never be. it should never even have started.   You and I agree there.  Someone here claimed the hyphen causes racism, though we all know that's not factual.  And as several here have said, we do have a long way to go on the issue of racism.  It is telling that some just whine that the subject keeps getting raised without offering anything constructive to the discussion.

So, rker, hyphen aside, why do you think racism still exists today?

Honored Social Butterfly

Centrist.  and this little story is specially  for you.

January 3rd 1961.  place. Innmgration Offices in Miami Florida.
an Inmmgration officers was filling out my application for entrance into the US and at that time it was called "Voluntary Departure"  which meant that I could stay in the US for an indefinite amount of time and have all the rights of a legal inmigrant until I made the decission to  leave.
As he was  asking all the necssary questions he came to one. "Race"  he said. I answered "white" he looked at me and said. "Cuban"  I thought he was mistaken and simply has asked for my nationality.  So he asked again "race"

I again answered "white"  he looked at me and said no."Cuban" 
At that moment in time I realized that in the United States of America I have ceased to be white and had become Cuban.
Haven't forgotten that, and never will. is an experience that I don't want others to have to go thru. The day that you experience anything like that, perhaps you will have a more accurate perception of what is racims. until then, study a little harder.

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

Centrist.  and this little story is specially  for you.

January 3rd 1961.  place. Innmgration Offices in Miami Florida.
an Inmmgration officers was filling out my application for entrance into the US and at that time it was called "Voluntary Departure"  which meant that I could stay in the US for an indefinite amount of time and have all the rights of a legal inmigrant until I made the decission to  leave.
As he was  asking all the necssary questions he came to one. "Race"  he said. I answered "white" he looked at me and said. "Cuban"  I thought he was mistaken and simply has asked for my nationality.  So he asked again "race"

I again answered "white"  he looked at me and said no."Cuban" 
At that moment in time I realized that in the United States of America I have ceased to be white and had become Cuban.
Haven't forgotten that, and never will. is an experience that I don't want others to have to go thru. The day that you experience anything like that, perhaps you will have a more accurate perception of what is racims. until then, study a little harder.

1.  That was over 50 years ago.

2.  What criteria were you using to refer to yourself as "white"?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

E Tu Brutus?:  Even you now are doubting my "whiteness" :  LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  Wat criteria do I have to say that I am white?   LOL  LOLK  L OIL  LOL  LOL   LOL  LOL
Guess What.  both my parents were not born in Cuba.  I am first Generation Cuban. my parents are both from the North of Spain  Galizia province.. I don't think that there were blacks in that area not even moors
So, now what, still doubting my whiteness?  no wonder I will not have my children be known as  Cuban Americans.
Your rant is obligatory, and you are  now cuddling on what Nerdy Mom stated  is quite ob vious.  you need to have partners in saying that you know what you are talking about, and obviously didn't understand what here posts stated. 

no name
Honored Social Butterfly

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

E Tu Brutus?:  Even you now are doubting my "whiteness" :  LOL   LOL   LOL   LOL  LOL  LOL  LOL  Wat criteria do I have to say that I am white?   LOL  LOLK  L OIL  LOL  LOL   LOL  LOL
Guess What.  both my parents were not born in Cuba.  I am first Generation Cuban. my parents are both from the North of Spain  Galizia province.. I don't think that there were blacks in that area not even moors
So, now what, still doubting my whiteness?  no wonder I will not have my children be known as  Cuban Americans.
Your rant is obligatory, and you are  now cuddling on what Nerdy Mom stated  is quite ob vious.  you need to have partners in saying that you know what you are talking about, and obviously didn't understand what here posts stated. 
What a drama queen....ask you a simple, reasonable question which could further the discussion, but alas, it's too much for some to bear.  They are unable to understand why someone might ask when they also claimed they were from Cuba. It's obvious who has the lack of understanding.....but it's understandable.

Honored Social Butterfly

What a drama queen....ask you a simple, reasonable question which could further the discussion, but alas, it's too much for some to bear.  They are unable to understand why someone might ask when they also claimed they were from Cuba. It's obvious who has the lack of understanding.....but iAmat's Annderstandable.
Amazing to see your post in here,   apparently don't give up. it really reminds me of Trump. and his intimidation and bullying tactics.
Drama Queen? why?  because you say so?  go and bother fish for a while, you will never understand racimsw at all. no matter what you thnk of your self.
pathetic ar the posts that I have seen.
Everyone can see and have been able to evaluate what the posts in this thread  have been, and what they have said about other posters.
Never, in this lifetime I will be intimidated or bully, and that is not going to happen. 
Your right as far as questioning my DNA is PATHETIC BUT IF II WERE TO ACTUALLY DO  SUCH A TEST, IT WOU8LD PROBABLY SHOW  MY ANCESTRY WHICH IS PURE CAUCASIAN/EURPEAN DESCENT.
BUT i AM PROUD OF BEING A CUBAN BY BIRTH AND AN AMERICAN  BY CHOICE.
no name
Honored Social Butterfly

If anyone has an interest in getting away from Cuba and back to the topic - people are racist for two reasons. 

1) They feel poorly about themselves and just have to think there is some one below them.

2) They are politicians or the supporters of politicians and want to narrowly define "racism" to only mean "the other guys" and, sadly, are able to round up a mob anytime they want to stir things up. It is the same people and the same mindset that got all wrapped around the axle over who went into which John or Jane in bars.

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

If anyone has an interest in getting away from Cuba and back to the topic - people are racist for two reasons. 

1) They feel poorly about themselves and just have to think there is some one below them.  An interesting thought.  So racism is tied to self-esteen???  Thought provoking....

2) They are politicians or the supporters of politicians and want to narrowly define "racism" to only mean "the other guys" and, sadly, are able to round up a mob anytime they want to stir things up. It is the same people and the same mindset that got all wrapped around the axle over who went into which John or Jane in bars.  Now that was a "song and a dance".  The question is "why", not who.  Your first one was a start though....

Is Low Self Esteem Linked To Racism?

Honored Social Butterfly

@rk9152 wrote:

They are politicians or the supporters of politicians and want to narrowly define "racism" to only mean "the other guys" and, sadly, are able to round up a mob anytime they want to stir things up.

That could apply to several here who keeps invoking racism to stir things up.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

psssst, tex.......racist NEED to be stirred up.....and shown the door.....or change.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:
@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

psssst, tex.......racist NEED to be stirred up.....and shown the door.....or change.

pssssst, Centrist....that is the problem racism is being stirred up resulting in riots, arguments, etc.  Those who need to be shown the door are those who continue stirring the pot.

There some who keeps the pot stirred while others dedicate to creating an atmosphere where people can understand each other.  Do you think your posts over the years is doing that or creating an atmosphere of 'us versus them', i.e. a tally of how many Blacks are killed by law enforcement?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

that is the problem racism is being stirred up resulting in riots, arguments, etc.  Those who need to be shown the door are those who continue stirring the pot.

Man oh man.... I've heard that language before.

Here are the people that have been accused of stirring the pot up previously:

(1) MARTIN LUTHER KING

(2) ROSA PARKS

(3) JESSE JACKSON

(4) MEDGAR EVERS

(5) ANGELA DAVIS

(6) ADAM CLAYTON POWELL

(7) MUHAMMAD ALI

(8) JULIAN BOND

(9) ROY INNIS

Anything similar about this group of people?

Using the phrase "stirring up the pot" is but another one of those "whistles" used (usually by WHITE PEOPLE) to do what else????????

STIR UP THE POT!!!!!

NO! IT'S CONSERVATIVES THAT ARE NUTTIER THAN SQUIRREL POOP!
Honored Social Butterfly

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

that is the problem racism is being stirred up resulting in riots, arguments, etc.  Those who need to be shown the door are those who continue stirring the pot.

Man oh man.... I've heard that language before.

Here are the people that have been accused of stirring the pot up previously:

(1) MARTIN LUTHER KING

(2) ROSA PARKS

(3) JESSE JACKSON

(4) MEDGAR EVERS

(5) ANGELA DAVIS

(6) ADAM CLAYTON POWELL

(7) MUHAMMAD ALI

(8) JULIAN BOND

(9) ROY INNIS

Anything similar about this group of people?

Using the phrase "stirring up the pot" is but another one of those "whistles" used (usually by WHITE PEOPLE) to do what else????????

STIR UP THE POT!!!!!

Absolutely correct!

Stir the pot!    Keep stirring the pot!

Racists, white supremacists, Alt-Right, Alt-Christians, and Nazis richly deserve massive amounts of public opprobrium.

They are morally and ethically bankrupt and richly deserve every bit of disrespect and insult tendered them by the majority of citizens in this nation - that majority of morally and ethically upstanding people in this nation...

44>dolt45
Honored Social Butterfly

@alferdpacker wrote:

They are morally and ethically bankrupt and richly deserve every bit of disrespect and insult tendered them by the majority of citizens in this nation - that majority of morally and ethically upstanding people in this nation...

You and the other poster would prefer 'stirring up the pot' and keeping racial differences continue rather than working proactively to promote a better understanding among the races?  This seems apparent for several posters here.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

You and the other poster would prefer 'stirring up the pot' and keeping racial differences ......

A.P. That above sentence speaks volumes, IMO.  "racial differences"?  Really?

Tex, what "racial differences" are you talking about?  Please do tell.....

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

You are the one with a major in psychology, you tell me.  All I have is a background of interacting with people of different culturals, races, etc..   Do you look at others on an equal basis or on a superior one as one could believe here?

"Really?"  What would the frequent use of that expression indicate?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

You are the one with a major in psychology, you tell me.   You made the comment, I didn't.  What "racial diferences" are YOU talking about?  All I have is a background of interacting with people of different culturals, races, etc..  Great!  What "racial differences" did you observe?  Again, you raised the point. 

"Really?"  What would the frequent use of that expression indicate?  Disbelief.  Thanks for asking....

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

You are the one with a major in psychology, you tell me.   You made the comment, I didn't.  What "racial diferences" are YOU talking about?  All I have is a background of interacting with people of different culturals, races, etc..  Great!  What "racial differences" did you observe?  Again, you raised the point. 

"Really?"  What would the frequent use of that expression indicate?  Disbelief.  Thanks for asking....

The last sentence is meant to be elitist?  And sarcastic?

I was replying to your post.  Racism isn't partisan?  Can you explain why Confederate statues wasn't a problem during the Obama administration, but during others it is?  Can you explain why racism wasn't a topic of national discussion during the Obama administration, but now it is? 

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png