Are Communities Becoming More Livable? How Does Your Community Stack Up in AARP's New 2018 Livability Index. Find Out Now!

Reply
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

132 Views
Message 131 of 244
rk posted..

"White guilt" goes along with "white privilege" as no more than radical left wing efforts to further divide America.

========================

Its threads like this that divide our country.

I notice that some on this thread are trying to make the case that there is racism in our country...everyone knows that is true but that is not what the subject of this thread states.

The topic of this thread..

Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

That is a actuation ...it assumes something ... it assumes that it exists when in fact it might exist in the minds of a few .. its an unknown.....one can not prove a unknown.

Bottom line it does do one thing it stirs the race issue pot.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

126 Views
Message 132 of 244

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I'd suggest you don't understand. "White Privilege" is something many here have acknowledged in themselves, I have as well.  I can walk through most all parts of Minnesota without suspicion or difference.  However, many minorities, including the significant Hmong and Somalis communities can't say the same thing.  Just last week I met a buddy in a restaurant across town that I had never been to previously.  We were chatting up the locals, it was near capacity....a line waiting for dinner tables,  and a black gentleman came in wearing a sportscoat and nice slacks, don't recall if he wore a tie.....it was 6:30 ish....a late Happy Hour time frame, and when he entered the door, the place went dead quiet and most turned around to see the man.  I heard someone say surprisingly, "what's HE doing here?"  I asked who is he?  Someone responded, don't know which person, "just some n-word."  He paused and turned and walked out.  I wondered if this was some scene from "Blazing Saddles" or something....it was surreal, until some guy started bemoaning a couple of stools to my right about his daughter was dating a "wet ***blank***".  Yep, that restaurant was bursting with "White Privilege" alright.

 

As to "White Guilt", the only persons I've seen use the term here on this forum are Conservative extremists using it to describe those who have compassion and empathy towards all races.  But certainly I haven't read every topic here, so I may have missed a few.

 

But the terms aren't interchangeable....I'd suggest if you're interested, actually read up on the terms and become more informed; it won't hurt.

 

And btb.....the restaurant was in Michele Bachman's former district....an interesting "fun fact".


So you have a buddy that claims to have had that experience. Yep, he was with me.  Do you have any buddies that were sitting in a black bar when a white guy walked in? I do note you asked about a black bar....what's a "black bar"?  I thought you didn't see "color" and only saw people.  Though you ask about a "black bar"......What has any of that to do with defensiveness in discussing racism.  No one suggested it was....it was an anecdotal story to another poster......my apologies you couldn't grasp that concept.

 

"White guilt" goes along with "white privilege" "Goes with".....LOL.....  And why is that?  Because you say so.....they have nothing to do with each other.  But I understand your faux claim.  as no more than radical left wing efforts to further divide America.  LOL.....YOU raised the subject of "White Guilt" to this forum accusing those who stand up against racism and injustice of "white guilt".  I'd suggest it's your defensiveness to attack those who see things differently.  And you wonder why some laugh....


 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

129 Views
Message 133 of 244

@rk9152 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:


Can anyone point out what indicates "defensive" for the purposes of this discussion?


Sure, read your first post to this topic.


I did and the question remains the same - Can anyone point out what indicates "defensive" for the purposes of this discussion?  So, your answer to the topic question was your speaking for all whites?  Blaming Liberals?  You know, for the purposes of discussion....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Super Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

125 Views
Message 134 of 244

@rk9152 wrote:

@Cirice wrote:

They also prove that @CS402050 used incomplete stats to make a misleading claim about "black crime," which is racist.

You chose to include DUI and drunkenness - others are more concerned with violent crimes. Not racism, just putting things into the real world concerns of people.


 


I chose to include ALL of the crimes. Are you saying that DUI is not a real world concern of people?


Assume nothing. Question everything. And start thinking.
Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

124 Views
Message 135 of 244

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

I'd suggest you don't understand. "White Privilege" is something many here have acknowledged in themselves, I have as well.  I can walk through most all parts of Minnesota without suspicion or difference.  However, many minorities, including the significant Hmong and Somalis communities can't say the same thing.  Just last week I met a buddy in a restaurant across town that I had never been to previously.  We were chatting up the locals, it was near capacity....a line waiting for dinner tables,  and a black gentleman came in wearing a sportscoat and nice slacks, don't recall if he wore a tie.....it was 6:30 ish....a late Happy Hour time frame, and when he entered the door, the place went dead quiet and most turned around to see the man.  I heard someone say surprisingly, "what's HE doing here?"  I asked who is he?  Someone responded, don't know which person, "just some n-word."  He paused and turned and walked out.  I wondered if this was some scene from "Blazing Saddles" or something....it was surreal, until some guy started bemoaning a couple of stools to my right about his daughter was dating a "wet ***blank***".  Yep, that restaurant was bursting with "White Privilege" alright.

 

As to "White Guilt", the only persons I've seen use the term here on this forum are Conservative extremists using it to describe those who have compassion and empathy towards all races.  But certainly I haven't read every topic here, so I may have missed a few.

 

But the terms aren't interchangeable....I'd suggest if you're interested, actually read up on the terms and become more informed; it won't hurt.

 

And btb.....the restaurant was in Michele Bachman's former district....an interesting "fun fact".


So you have a buddy that claims to have had that experience. Do you have any buddies that were sitting in a black bar when a white guy walked in? What has any of that to do with defensiveness in discussing racism.

 

"White guilt" goes along with "white privilege" as no more than radical left wing efforts to further divide America.

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

87 Views
Message 136 of 244

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:


Can anyone point out what indicates "defensive" for the purposes of this discussion?


Sure, read your first post to this topic.


I did and the question remains the same - Can anyone point out what indicates "defensive" for the purposes of this discussion?

Report Inappropriate Content
Frequent Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

103 Views
Message 137 of 244

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:
rk posted..

As to the article - it is based on the concept of white guilt. Therefore, the conclusions arrived at by the author would naturally be different from one not wallowing in white guilt.



Also, the author seems to take an approach common to some of our posters - she considers herself to be a good person because she seems the flaws in others. Like our posters, "white guilt" is not something to feel personally but rather something to accuse others of not having.

=======================

You nailed it!

I'd suggest you don't understand. "White Privilege" is something many here have acknowledged in themselves, I have as well.  I can walk through most all parts of Minnesota without suspicion or difference.  However, many minorities, including the significant Hmong and Somalis communities can't say the same thing.  Just last week I met a buddy in a restaurant across town that I had never been to previously.  We were chatting up the locals, it was near capacity....a line waiting for dinner tables,  and a black gentleman came in wearing a sportscoat and nice slacks, don't recall if he wore a tie.....it was 6:30 ish....a late Happy Hour time frame, and when he entered the door, the place went dead quiet and most turned around to see the man.  I heard someone say surprisingly, "what's HE doing here?"  I asked who is he?  Someone responded, don't know which person, "just some n-word."  He paused and turned and walked out.  I wondered if this was some scene from "Blazing Saddles" or something....it was surreal, until some guy started bemoaning a couple of stools to my right about his daughter was dating a "wet ***blank***".  Yep, that restaurant was bursting with "White Privilege" alright.

 

As to "White Guilt", the only persons I've seen use the term here on this forum are Conservative extremists using it to describe those who have compassion and empathy towards all races.  But certainly I haven't read every topic here, so I may have missed a few.

 

But the terms aren't interchangeable....I'd suggest if you're interested, actually read up on the terms and become more informed; it won't hurt.

 

And btb.....the restaurant was in Michele Bachman's former district....an interesting "fun fact".


I'd suggest that YOU are the one who doesn't understand.

 

There are a number of definitions (what's new) of white privilege depending upon what the person is saying about it. Yet you have not given even one single example that would fit ANY of the definitions. Almost all of them differentiate between white privilege and racism by saying something to the effect that white privilege “is generally distinguished from active bias or prejudice against non-white people.” Every single example you have given, whether truth or fiction, like the one above is an example of racism, not white privilege. So if you want to have a mature discussion about this topic, please do a little research and come back when you understand YOUR topic.

 

By the way, perhaps the best known paper on the subject, and the one that made it popular with liberals, was published by Peggy McIntosh in 1988. It's the primary reason why I and many others believe white privilege is a thing of the past. First, I saw a reporter question her about it and instead of addressing what was said, she responded with that tried and true liberalism. She said that anybody who questioned what she wrote was a racist. That's just an instant credibility killer. Second, in her paper she listed 46 items that constituted white privilege. For the most part they made little sense. The first three were:

 

  1. I can, if I wish, arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time.

 

  1. I can avoid spending time with people whom I was trained to mistrust and who have learned to mistrust my kind or me.

 

  1. If I should need to move, I can be pretty sure of renting or purchasing housing in an area which I can afford and in which I would want to live.

 

You would be hard pressed to rationally justify how number 1 or 2 is a privilege to any particular race and number 3 ended with the Fair Housing Act and other laws. Should you choose, I'd be more than happy to go right down the rest of her list with you once you actually understand what “white privilege” is supposed to be.

Report Inappropriate Content
Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

99 Views
Message 138 of 244

@KidBoy2 wrote:

The topic of this thread..

Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

------------------------------------------

That is a actuation ...it assumes something ...It assumes "whites" are defensive about racism?  Is that what you're saying?  If so, I disagree.  Just read the posts from your comrades. Is it defensive when someone blames racism on crime?  it assumes that it exists when in fact it might exist in the minds of a few ..Are you saying racism may not exits?  94% of Americans believe it does and think it's a problem.  Is it just the boggy man?   its an unknown.....one can not prove a unknown. Interesting....all these hate crimes are "unknown"?  Interesting.....

Bottom line it does do one thing it stirs the race issue pot.  How can it if it's an "unknown"?  Again, one poster has claimed crime causes racism.....  Is that an "unknown"?


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

109 Views
Message 139 of 244

The topic of this thread..

Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

------------------------------------------

That is a actuation ...it assumes something ... it assumes that it exists when in fact it might exist in the minds of a few ..  its an unknown.....one can not prove a unknown. 

Bottom line it does do one thing it stirs the race issue pot.  

Report Inappropriate Content
Valued Social Butterfly

Re: Why are Whites So Defensive Discussing Racism

108 Views
Message 140 of 244

So here is a **bleep** representative speaking:  

Here's the full text of Stringer's remarks, as captured in the clip that Schapira posted:

60 percent of public school children in the state of Arizona today are minorities. That complicates racial integration because there aren't enough white kids to go around. And when you look at that 60 percent number for public school students, just carry that forward 10 or 15 years. It's going to change the demographic voting base of this state. And that's what's going on around the country. Immigration is politically destabilizing. President Trump has talked about this. Immigration today represents an existential threat to the United States. If we don't do something about immigration very, very soon, the demographics of our country will be irrevocably changed and we will be a very different country. It will not be the country you were born into. 

 

here is the video / article:  http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/news/arizona-legislator-immigration-demographic-change-represent-an-e...

 

I have some agency to speak to this, because I was born and raised and educated in **bleep**.    The population was very mixed, at least at the US/ **bleep** / CA border.      One picture in a high school annual was the choice of Most Likely to Succeed.     The picture was of a cheerleader sitting on the shoulder of a football / wrestling champion.     The cheerleader was a Mormon girl and the athlete was African American.     He went on to be a professional football player, which sounds pretty successful to me.     The groups of students that I graduated with were very mixed, with WASPish folks, Hispanics, African American and Navajo Indians  (all mixed into one small community).  I know one of my parents was a racist.   I left with the other parent.    

Report Inappropriate Content