Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why There Are Government Programs

Message 81 of 127

@rk9152 wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

Tell you what RK  you tell me  who is the biased press, I am sure that you know who they are after all you were the one that named them. 

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 82 of 127

@rk9152 wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

The free press is not the enemy - the biased press is.

I have to really make this statement really big and then really start laughing my rear end off.
I will not bother to ask you who is the biased press, because the answer will make make laugh even more. 
Yes, your post needs to be actually cut and pasted and place in the Smithsonian Institute ad the most  amazing post that has ever been seen in this message board.

Does that mean you do not agree that the biased press is the enemy of the people? Or are you just covering with a claimed phony laugh?

trump - Putin's PupPetPotus - is the enemy of the People - only his treasonous followers and supporters would disagree with the majority of the People who still do not approve of him or support him - and still would not vote for the enemy of The People.

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 83 of 127

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

The free market has never provided the needed services.  How will it start doing it now?

I just contributed almost $400 in backpacks/school supplies and classroom supplies to kids -- some in a local homeless shelter and some who attend a Title I school.    And that's nowhere near what that teacher needs for her classroom.  

A group here donated backpacks full of school supplies for the ENTIRE district which consists of a number of schools, plus to private schools.

The district provided a school bus in which local residents filled up more than once with these supplies.

There is also a group "Military Moms" who sends pallets of donated necessities via Priority Mail to military in areas of Southern Asia where they are stationed and the Middle East

The area is generous in donations...mostly anonymous.

This is wonderful.   I don't mean to diminish it at all.   Does it include things like Chromebooks and CD players and headphones and audio books?  Or art supplies?  Or music instruments?   These are some of the glaring deficiencies I see in lower-income schools around here.   That's why the teacher I donated to had such a huge list.    Shelving for books, even.   It's unbelievable.   Smiley Sad 

It's nice people donate, but it would be nicer if they would vote to make such donations totally unnecessary, like they were until 1985.

The constant whine - "Reagan's tax cuts ruined everything". Here is a history of federal spending on education. You might want to revise your whine:

https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d12/tables/dt12_421.asp

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 84 of 127

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I have to really make this statement really big and then really start laughing my rear end off.
I will not bother to ask you who is the biased press, because the answer will make make laugh even more. 
Yes, your post needs to be actually cut and pasted and place in the Smithsonian Institute ad the most  amazing post that has ever been seen in this message board.

Does that mean you do not agree that the biased press is the enemy of the people? Or are you just covering with a claimed phony laugh?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 85 of 127

@Roxanna35 wrote:

The free market is not designed to provide the needed services. It establishes a vehicle for people to provide for their own needs through their work. And, on the other side of the coin it creates the needed goods and services so people can buy them.

Remember, you are talking to a certain extent about people outside the economy - they are not contributing to the creation of the goods and services.

They may not be creators but they are consumers, and consumers are the ones that actually make those creators be profitable  and be able to create more of the goods  and services that those who consumers will use. So in a way is a round circle, consumers and creators each of them is a necessary need for any economy.

Creators are also consumers. And, where do you suppose the non-creator get the wherewithall to be consumers? Why from the creators who therefore are paying for their own needs and the needs of others.

That system exists and there are those who want even more. It's called a system of wealth redistribution based on the theory of at least one of our posters that the government owns all the money and decides who gets what.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 86 of 127

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

The free market has never provided the needed services.  How will it start doing it now?

I just contributed almost $400 in backpacks/school supplies and classroom supplies to kids -- some in a local homeless shelter and some who attend a Title I school.    And that's nowhere near what that teacher needs for her classroom.  

A group here donated backpacks full of school supplies for the ENTIRE district which consists of a number of schools, plus to private schools.

The district provided a school bus in which local residents filled up more than once with these supplies.

There is also a group "Military Moms" who sends pallets of donated necessities via Priority Mail to military in areas of Southern Asia where they are stationed and the Middle East

The area is generous in donations...mostly anonymous.

This is wonderful.   I don't mean to diminish it at all.   Does it include things like Chromebooks and CD players and headphones and audio books?  Or art supplies?  Or music instruments?   These are some of the glaring deficiencies I see in lower-income schools around here.   That's why the teacher I donated to had such a huge list.    Shelving for books, even.   It's unbelievable.   Smiley Sad 

It's nice people donate, but it would be nicer if they would vote to make such donations totally unnecessary, like they were until 1985.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 87 of 127

@rk9152 wrote:

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 88 of 127

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

You made a wise decision to settle here instead of Canada. It is way colder in Canada, the taxes are way higher, living costs are about the same, standard healthcare is available cheaper in Canada BUT if you need an MRI quickly, you will be heading south to the U.S. to get it quick, if you need emergency surgery, you will be on a wait list, if you need non emergency surgery, you might get tired of waiting, and don't forget it's cold.

Of course I made the right decision at the time, but I didn't have to wander about the things that I now have to see. and my choices would have been different.
If instead of 1961   my   desition would have to been made in 2018  You bet that i would have gone to Canada with all the things that you have pointed. Because I wouldnt' have to deal with a Russian indoctrination. a Russian meddling in political election and all the things that we are seeing now.

cANADA is still there.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 89 of 127

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The GOPerLords rely on "bumbper-sticker" slogans to push their move toward Oligarchy because they know their lofo base will not take the time to analyze anything that reenforces their pre-existing bias.

Take this latest cartoon explanation of why Civilization advances, which can be summarized as follows:

Everything everyone needs can be provided by the free market, so anything NOT provided by the free market FOR A PROFIT (that's why its being marketed) is unnecessary.

This entire Republican Principle is such swill it should not need explanation to be rejected, but obvviously it does.

No private company is going to provide us with the TOLL FREE Interstate highways. In fact, even WITH tolls, such a highway would never be built west of the Missouri and east of the rockies because the tolls would never repay the debt incurred in its construction and maintenance. Now that the roads have been built, and a generation of Republicans have refused to increase fuel and use taxes to maintain them, they want to sell them off to the highest bidder who will do for the rest of the system what the folks running InterState 80 across Indiana have done - pocket huge profits by NOT maintaining the road and leaving it for the State to deal with.  Same applies to all the other Federal, State and Local highways and byways, including the "farm to market" roads all across the midwest.

No private company is going to educate poor children who cannot pay for their schooling, let alone spend the millions to build the facilities needed.

No private company is going to build and maintain a system of locks and dams to make the inland waterways navigable and prevent flooding - the usage fees they'd have to charge would make barge transport uncompetative, and they'd need to police the entire MidAmerican Drainage Basin to make sure nobody was fishing/swimming/boating/hunting without a PAID permit.

No private company is going to insure mid and lower income people do not fall into poverty when they can no longer work. Their "customers" could never afford the premiums. Same with health care for the elderly.

No private company is going to operate and maintain huge swaths of pristine wilderness just so people can come to enjoy the natural beauty at a price anyone but the very rich could afford. We the People have the Grand Teton and Adarondack National Parks because the original owners of the land - the Rockefeller family -  found them too expensive to maintain.

No private company isgoing to offer police and fire protection anywhere but the gated communities of the very rich.

No private company is going to operate a prison that does not abuse prisoners as has been proven by every for-profit prison that has ever been investigated by independant agencies.  Trump's $970/day/infant concentration camps for refugee children prove this beyond a shaddow of doubt.

No private company is going to build swimming pools for the public to enjoy at at a reasonable price. Proof is that they never had and never will, UNLESS it's a way to avoid integrating as happened throughout Redland in the 1960's.

Now a question for the GOPers who haven't been able to follow the conversation thus far and still think the bumper-sticker is valid policy:

HOW DOES DRIVING ON PUBLIC ROADS, ATTENDING PUBLIC SCHOOLS, ENJOYING PUBLIC PARKS, LOOKING FORWARD TO RETIREMENT AND BEING CARED FOR IN OLD AGE DEPRIVE PEOPLE OF THEIR FREEDOM BY MAKING THEM DEPENDANT ON GOVERNMENT?

In short, the entire premis that Government supplied services are unnecessary is totally bogus, and the notion that such services sap our Freedom and independeance is even less supportable.

Everything everyone needs can be provided by the free market, so anything NOT provided by the free market FOR A PROFIT (that's why its being marketed) is unnecessary.

That seems to be the basis for your entire wealth redistribution rant. To justify it can you show any political Party or any political ideology that says that?? If not, everything based on it is without merit.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 90 of 127

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
Dear Soosie, I guess that you don't know what it means to have your most valuable morals tampered with. I left, becasue I couldn't leave in a country in which my freedoms were taken away from me.....@rker.......and that is what I pray for the USA, that our freedom is not taken away. Free stuff is not really free. Everything comes with a price and many times with the loss of our freedom.

Oh dear Soosie, but you are already losing those freedoms and you don't even notice.
The Free press is our enemy.  anyone that criticizes This Administration is suspect.   the rule of Law is continuously attacked and not followed.
Please don't tell my that you haven't lost freedom in that case, yes you have been blinded by your political views.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.

Top Authors