Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why There Are Government Programs

Message 11 of 127

@CriticalThinking wrote:

RK, please stop going out on tangents like you always do. This is not rocket science. Everybody in the modern world depends upon the government for a wide array of services. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is independent from government programs. 

We all use the same highways, go to the same schools, are protected by the police and the FBI, etc. Stop pretending that conservatives are somehow immune from government protection and assistance.

Yes, the majority of people make use of government services to help make a living and pay taxes (roads for example) - in effect paying for their services with the taxes they pay. They are still free, contributing members of society.

There are other people who make use of the services of government to provide for the basic needs of life. They are not free - they are dependent on the pols for their lives.

And then there is that big area in between.

I hope that wasn't too tangential for you.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Why There Are Government Programs

Message 12 of 127

Not Happening claims I don't understand what he says but it looks pretty clear to me. NH said, "Most "Trump voters" that I know don't need any government programs, are very independent, could afford to do without Social Security, and don't take part in ANY welfare programs"

Per Not Happening, Trump voters don't need any government programs and don't take part in any welfare programs. But the top 5 welfare states are all big time pro Trump states. I guess we're back to my old theory that one should never confuse Trump Cult members by using FACTS.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 127

@gruffstuff wrote:

You enjoy having the government as a silent party in your business?  Telling you who you need to deal with in business?

Like anything else in life you take the good with the bad, I used to think lead free solder was over the top, now I believe it was the right way to go. I used to think OSHA regulations were over the top, but I knew people, not knew of them, knew people,  that died in cave ins. 

And I remember watching my Dad when building houses use molten lead when it came to sealing sewer systems. The government had nothing to do with modern materials such as Schedule 40 or 80 pvc.  You are branching off to something else that doesn't involve the public when you are self-employed.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 127

What they will NEVER talk about is ending the Government programs that allowed 258 Fortune 500 Corporations to earn $3.8 TRILLION in profits and pay NOTHING in Federal corporate income tax in 2017. 

Yes the wealthy do very well working the system to cash in on the public coffers. Look at the back room stuff surrounding Trump and his associates, it's raining money on the 1% but it's OK for kids to go to school hungry or diabetics to die because the can't afford insulin.

It just ain't right.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 127

You enjoy having the government as a silent party in your business?  Telling you who you need to deal with in business?

Like anything else in life you take the good with the bad, I used to think lead free solder was over the top, now I believe it was the right way to go. I used to think OSHA regulations were over the top, but I knew people, not knew of them, knew people,  that died in cave ins. 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 127

Telling that Republicans only consider programs that benefit the bottom 99% more than the top 1% when they rant about Government Programs.

What they will NEVER talk about is ending the Government programs that allowed 258 Fortune 500 Corporations to earn $3.8 TRILLION in profits and pay NOTHING in Federal corporate income tax in 2017. 

Instead, they will wax apoplectic over some guy who put in 52 40-hour-plus weeks and got a few hundred bucks from the Earned Income Tax Credit. Or just continue to attack the retirees, lower graded military and those in a war zone, students, underage youth and physically disabled who make up the hated (by Republicans) 47%.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 127

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Let's use FACTS with Not Happening's brilliant theory about liberals being on welfare. The top 5 states on federal welfare benefits are all big time Trump states

• West Virginia
  • Mississippi
  • Arkansas
  • Kentucky 
  • Alabama

West Virginia, where Trump had his 2nd largest voting win, gets more money per person from federal government programs than any other state in the country, with more than a quarter of the income in the Mountain State coming from federal benefits

After West Virginia, the rest of the top five recipients of federal money are: Mississippi, 24.0 percent; Arkansas, 22.8 percent; Kentucky, 22.4 percent; and Alabama, 21.8 percent. Residents of Washington, D.C., collected the lowest percentage of government benefits, with only 11.7 percent of their total income coming from government programs

You need to brush up on your clairvoyant skills since I didn't say that my theory was liberals are on welfare. If you carefully reread my post, you will discover you are wrong again. Nothing new here! 

Nice try but reading before posting is always a good idea.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 127

Let's use FACTS with Not Happening's brilliant theory about liberals being on welfare. The top 5 states on federal welfare benefits are all big time Trump states

• West Virginia
  • Mississippi
  • Arkansas
  • Kentucky 
  • Alabama

West Virginia, where Trump had his 2nd largest voting win, gets more money per person from federal government programs than any other state in the country, with more than a quarter of the income in the Mountain State coming from federal benefits

After West Virginia, the rest of the top five recipients of federal money are: Mississippi, 24.0 percent; Arkansas, 22.8 percent; Kentucky, 22.4 percent; and Alabama, 21.8 percent. Residents of Washington, D.C., collected the lowest percentage of government benefits, with only 11.7 percent of their total income coming from government programs

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 127

@CriticalThinking wrote:

NH made what was possibly the most absurd comment of this thread. 

"Most "Trump voters" that I know don't need any government programs, are very independent, could afford to do without Social Security, and don't take part in ANY welfare programs"

Incredible! I don't know where to start but we have to start somewhere. So let's examine how many aspects of our lives are better because of government programs.

• Trump voters wouldn't be here without the U.S. Military
  • Interstate Highway System
  • Public Schools
  • Law Enforcement
  • Public Libraries
  • NASA
  • Court System
  • Laws
  • Prisons
  • the FDA ex. Polio and Flu Vaccines
  • Mass Transit
  • etc.

Perhaps I assumed most left wing liberals would understand what I meant, but you are certainly the exception. What I should have said to make it even more clear to people like you is I don't need section 8 housing, I don't need or receive welfare, I don't need food stamps, I am not and never taken Medicaid, I'm NOT in the 47% who pay no income taxes, I don't receive unemployment, I didn't receive any Obama phones, I don't get free telephone/cable service, don't use mass transit, and never received any handouts. Yes I do enjoy the privileges of living here with the protections of the military people, roads, and other things that I pay dearly for.

I thought you would be smart enough to assume the above but, who knows?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 127

RK, please stop going out on tangents like you always do. This is not rocket science. Everybody in the modern world depends upon the government for a wide array of services. Nobody, and I mean nobody, is independent from government programs. 

We all use the same highways, go to the same schools, are protected by the police and the FBI, etc. Stop pretending that conservatives are somehow immune from government protection and assistance.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.