Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why There Are Government Programs

Message 91 of 127

The free market is not designed to provide the needed services. It establishes a vehicle for people to provide for their own needs through their work. And, on the other side of the coin it creates the needed goods and services so people can buy them.

Remember, you are talking to a certain extent about people outside the economy - they are not contributing to the creation of the goods and services.

They may not be creators but they are consumers, and consumers are the ones that actually make those creators be profitable  and be able to create more of the goods  and services that those who consumers will use. So in a way is a round circle, consumers and creators each of them is a necessary need for any economy.

no name
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 92 of 127

@nctarheel wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@gruffstuff wrote:

Why There Are Government Programs

Only a few of those you posted are listed in the Constitution.  Not saying that many of them are beneficial to the country, but because politicians found them convenient to get votes.

As to the author of the original post's quote:

He was working on a book when he died of Lou Gehrig's disease.

The book's working title was:

THE WAR RACKET: THE LIES, MYTHS, AND PROPAGANDA THAT FEED THE AMERICAN WAR MACHINE.

I might have to say that I agree with this particular Libertarian on this one because he thought that WAR was just another....................GOVERNMENT PROGRAM!!!!!!!

It is true - the defense of the nation is a if not the prime responsibility of the federal government - with or without dramatic caps and exclamation points.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 93 of 127

@ManicProgressive wrote:

The free market has never provided the needed services.  How will it start doing it now?

I just contributed almost $400 in backpacks/school supplies and classroom supplies to kids -- some in a local homeless shelter and some who attend a Title I school.    And that's nowhere near what that teacher needs for her classroom.  

The free market didn't keep these families out of a shelter. 

The free market didn't provide sufficient classroom supplies for a local elementary school.  

At least the kids in the shelter are zoned for a good public school.   The kids in the Title I school have so many challenges.    The difference between that elementary school and the one my youngest son attended is just shameful.  It's sinful, honestly.   More like a classroom in a developing nation rather that one in the wealthiest nation.    

The free market is not designed to provide the needed services. It establishes a vehicle for people to provide for their own needs through their work. And, on the other side of the coin it creates the needed goods and services so people can buy them.

Remember, you are talking to a certain extent about people outside the economy - they are not contributing to the creation of the goods and services.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 94 of 127

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

You made a wise decision to settle here instead of Canada. It is way colder in Canada, the taxes are way higher, living costs are about the same, standard healthcare is available cheaper in Canada BUT if you need an MRI quickly, you will be heading south to the U.S. to get it quick, if you need emergency surgery, you will be on a wait list, if you need non emergency surgery, you might get tired of waiting, and don't forget it's cold.

Of course I made the right decision at the time, but I didn't have to wander about the things that I now have to see. and my choices would have been different.
If instead of 1961   my   desition would have to been made in 2018  You bet that i would have gone to Canada with all the things that you have pointed. Because I wouldnt' have to deal with a Russian indoctrination. a Russian meddling in political election and all the things that we are seeing now.

no name
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 95 of 127

@ManicProgressive wrote:

Aren't free meals part of the federal CEP program? 

I believe it has to do with the number of students having a need, but not familiar how it is worked here.  There are a number of families that are illegal in our area which accounts for widespread low income.  But a neighboring school district decided to absorb the cost themselves.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 96 of 127

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

This is wonderful.   I don't mean to diminish it at all.   Does it include things like Chromebooks and CD players and headphones and audio books?  Or art supplies?  Or music instruments?   These are some of the glaring deficiencies I see in lower-income schools around here.   That's why the teacher I donated to had such a huge list.    Shelving for books, even.   It's unbelievable.   Smiley Sad 

NO....those items are provided by the school systems.  Every school, at least in our district is issued a chromebook the beginning of the school year according to the local media.   Perhaps you are living in the wrong district?  Or state?  P.S.  also school lunches are mostly free this year.

But again, chromebooks, etc are not parent required items.

Maybe. Our quality of education has gone down under Hogan, a Republican Governor. The school I donated to is in a rural county. I’m not familiar with what they equip their schools with at the elementary level.  They definitely have them in high school. 

Aren't free meals part of the federal CEP program? 

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 97 of 127

@ManicProgressive wrote:

This is wonderful.   I don't mean to diminish it at all.   Does it include things like Chromebooks and CD players and headphones and audio books?  Or art supplies?  Or music instruments?   These are some of the glaring deficiencies I see in lower-income schools around here.   That's why the teacher I donated to had such a huge list.    Shelving for books, even.   It's unbelievable.   Smiley Sad 

NO....those items are provided by the school systems.  Every school, at least in our district is issued a chromebook the beginning of the school year according to the local media.   Perhaps you are living in the wrong district?  Or state?  P.S.  also school lunches are mostly free this year.

But again, chromebooks, etc are not parent required items.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 98 of 127

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

The free market has never provided the needed services.  How will it start doing it now?

I just contributed almost $400 in backpacks/school supplies and classroom supplies to kids -- some in a local homeless shelter and some who attend a Title I school.    And that's nowhere near what that teacher needs for her classroom.  

A group here donated backpacks full of school supplies for the ENTIRE district which consists of a number of schools, plus to private schools.

The district provided a school bus in which local residents filled up more than once with these supplies.

There is also a group "Military Moms" who sends pallets of donated necessities via Priority Mail to military in areas of Southern Asia where they are stationed and the Middle East

The area is generous in donations...mostly anonymous.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 99 of 127

@nctarheel wrote:

I finally did some research.

The definition of trolling is: "One who intentionally antagonizes others by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, of offensive comments."

Merely asking you prove your statements directed at @gruffstuff's list is not trolling by an stretch of the imagination.

However, challenging @gruffstuff's list, without any basis in fact, just to antagonize and inflame can be considered trolling.

My answer was to show in the Constitution where it says his statements are required of the government.  The burden of proof is there, but apparently you don't want to verify that.  So the trolling is demanding that someone else do the verification.

Suggest that your continued demanding I do the verification is trolling...you say I am wrong so the burden of proof is on you to prove me wrong.

More of your attempts to play games.  Either prove me wrong or quit pursuing me.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 100 of 127

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@nctarheel wrote:

So I ask again, prove your statements.

You can ask all you want, but again, I'm not your researcher, nor your secretary, nor whatever.  So why don't you just study and research the Constitution for yourself?  That is the way to insure FACTS rather than demanding another poster do your work.

Any further demands will be considered trolling.

I finally did some research.

The definition of trolling is: "One who intentionally antagonizes others by posting inflammatory, irrelevant, of offensive comments."

Merely asking you prove your statements directed at @gruffstuff's list is not trolling by an stretch of the imagination.

However, challenging @gruffstuff's list, without any basis in fact, just to antagonize and inflame can be considered trolling.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.