Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why There Are Government Programs

Message 1 of 127

@CriticalThinking wrote:

Not Happening claims I don't understand what he says but it looks pretty clear to me. NH said, "Most "Trump voters" that I know don't need any government programs, are very independent, could afford to do without Social Security, and don't take part in ANY welfare programs"

Per Not Happening, Trump voters don't need any government programs and don't take part in any welfare programs. But the top 5 welfare states are all big time pro Trump states. I guess we're back to my old theory that one should never confuse Trump Cult members by using FACTS.

Only the most simpleton of persons did not know what I was talking about.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 127

from sout - Democrats support programs that give a fair share of the profits they produce back to the workers......

Omitted was, "And the government gets to define fair share hence, the government controls all the money. Sounds like another system we have discussed.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 127

Republicans only want programs that ensure the continued transfer of wealth and income from the middle to the very top. Absurdly low TMR, no tax on investment income, no tax on inherited wealth, no programs to protect Americans from being poisoned or killed in the name of higher profits and DEFINATELY no programs to allow the workers to quit their jobs either to find a better one or stop working after 40 years of labor.

Democrats support programs that give a fair share of the profits they produce back to the workers, give their kids excellent schools, provide affordable health care and higher education for all Americans, defend us against ALL enemies, foreign AND DOMESTIC, and insure a better standard of living for each generation, including a better and more secure retirement.

Anyone care to dispute this is how the Parties have actually enacted legislation (or blocked it) over the past 40 years?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 127

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Telling that Republicans only consider programs that benefit the bottom 99% more than the top 1% when they rant about Government Programs.

What they will NEVER talk about is ending the Government programs that allowed 258 Fortune 500 Corporations to earn $3.8 TRILLION in profits and pay NOTHING in Federal corporate income tax in 2017. 

Instead, they will wax apoplectic over some guy who put in 52 40-hour-plus weeks and got a few hundred bucks from the Earned Income Tax Credit. Or just continue to attack the retirees, lower graded military and those in a war zone, students, underage youth and physically disabled who make up the hated (by Republicans) 47%.

I have heard no one "wax apoplectic" over eitc. Who was that apopletic waxer??

For the most part, government programs do not make those job producing corporations money. I believe your panties are wadding again over regulations - not programs. So the administration of our system of taxation is not a program? How is this different from the system we have for helping to feed hungry children, aside from the fact the kids don't make huge contributions to the RNC? So most would not include tax law in the definition of "government programs". Out tax system does not feed children - for the most part their parents do. And welfare programs are not related to contributions to the RNC. You are just shotgunning your hatred again.

BTW - you seem quite defensive about the 47%. Will I defend the retirees, lower graded military and those in a war zone, students, underage youth and physically disabled who make up the hated (by Republicans) 47%? You Betcha. Why do you continue to denegate them? Is that really the 47% of non-tax payers (underage youth???). And that "hated by Republicans" is nonsense and more hate speech on your part.

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 127

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Electrical services very often, if not most often, come from electrical co-ops.

Your electrical services in Kentucky probably comes from, or through, the Tennessee Valley Authority's grid. It could be said that it's construction was beneficial, but it was created as an independent governmental corporation, in terms from economics... a beneficial monopoly.  It furnishes electrical power and tamed the Tennessee River and generally pays for itself.

Of course some government programs are necessary, but there are others that instead of contributing towards solving the problem exacerbates it by creating dependence.  As a rule Democrats does this because it gains votes for them.

“Only Thing We Have to Fear Is Fear Itself”. . . FDR
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 127

The purpose of government is to provide the things a nation "must" have but cannot get from its economy or its civil society.

We have government "programs" to provide the things our nation "must" have but cannot get from its economy or its civil society. Examples: Rule of law, currancy, impartially policed competition in our markets, literacy, roads, sewers,.military, desease control....

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 127

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So we should not have any government programs? Remember that next time you turn the water on. Remember that next time you turn the lights on or drive on a road. Remember that next time you receive an SS check or a retirement check form (sic) the military or another government job. It goes on and on.

No one has said there should be no government programs.  But what you are attempting to do is to combine government programs from all levels of government from local specific purpose districts, City, etc up to federal level.

Besides not all of those areas you listed are not necessarily government programs at any level, for instance electrical service usually comes from a private corporation.  Even in some instances other services could be provided by private corporations.

Electrical services very often, if not most often, come from electrical co-ops. There are government programs because they are needed. There is a general welfare clause. The poster of this topic and I guess you too, seem to be saying that "government" programs are all unneeded welfare programs. That simply isn't true.

Democrats in 2020
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 127

@rk9152 wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Telling that Republicans only consider programs that benefit the bottom 99% more than the top 1% when they rant about Government Programs.

What they will NEVER talk about is ending the Government programs that allowed 258 Fortune 500 Corporations to earn $3.8 TRILLION in profits and pay NOTHING in Federal corporate income tax in 2017. 

Instead, they will wax apoplectic over some guy who put in 52 40-hour-plus weeks and got a few hundred bucks from the Earned Income Tax Credit. Or just continue to attack the retirees, lower graded military and those in a war zone, students, underage youth and physically disabled who make up the hated (by Republicans) 47%.

For the most part, government programs do not make those job producing corporations money. I believe your panties are wadding again over regulations - not programs. So the administration of our system of taxation is not a program? How is this different from the system we have for helping to feed hungry children, aside from the fact the kids don't make huge contributions to the RNC?

BTW - you seem quite defensive about the 47%. Will I defend the retirees, lower graded military and those in a war zone, students, underage youth and physically disabled who make up the hated (by Republicans) 47%? You Betcha. Why do you continue to denegate them?

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 127

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Roxanna35 wrote:

@Soosie wrote:
In Cuba under Communism, Fidel gave the people free places to live if they didn't have the money to pay rent. he provided all health care for free, He gave free admisnion to any sport that was played in any stadium and there was absolutely no unemployment. @Rker........This seems like such a good life you have painted. So, why did you leave it?

Dear Soosie, I guess that you don't know what  it means to have your most valuable morals tampered with. I left, becasue I couldn't leave in a country in which my freedoms were taken away from me. not my money that was not that important. but my own believe in a free society was much more important than whatever Fidel could provide.
But I can tell you  that If I had ever suspected that the US wopuld become what is becoming presently, I would have probably  gone To Canada.

You made a wise decision to settle here instead of Canada. It is way colder in Canada, the taxes are way higher, living costs are about the same, standard healthcare is available cheaper in Canada BUT if you need an MRI quickly, you will be heading south to the U.S. to get it quick, if you need emergency surgery, you will be on a wait list, if you need non emergency surgery, you might get tired of waiting, and don't forget it's cold.

More Republican BS. There is NO waiting for ANY emergency treatment in Canada. The only people coming to the US are the rich who do not want to wait for ELECTIVE procedures. There are no scheduled bus trips from Canada to the US for medical assistance, but traffic in the other direction is brisk, and NO CANADIAN WILL EVER LOSE EVRYTHING BECAUSE THEIR CHILD GETS SICK.

In America, Republicans have insured medical costs remain the #1 cause of personal bankruptcy. The only way to change that fact is to

VOTE OUT THE NRAGOP IN NOVEMBER.

Emergency department wait times in Canada continuing to rise.

https://www.cihi.ca/en/emergency-department-wait-times-in-canada-continuing-to-rise

If you have insurance, Medicare, or $$$ the best place for care is the U.S.  If you like long lines, move to Canada or Europe.

Apples and oranges - the US hospitals only track how long it takes some medical paraprofessional to SPEAK to the patient. So when the hospital staffer asks "how are you feeling?" the clock stops and you've been TREATED.

Canada tracks the time it takes to complete a successful TREATMENT of the patient. Add to that the little querk in the law Republicans inserted to pay off their Corporate Heathcare owners- ER's must accept everyone regardless of whether or not they have insurance, BUT the ER cannot accept patients coming in by ambulance IF THERE'S NO BEDS AVAILABLE in the ER, so you could ride around all night looking for a bed and it doesn't count on the "average wait time" US Hospitals track and report.  Canadian ER's don't have that "BUT".

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 127

@Olderscout66 wrote:

For the most part, government programs do not make those job producing corporations money. I believe your panties are wadding again over regulations - not programs.

BTW - you seem quite defensive about the 47%.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.