Honored Social Butterfly

Why People Won't Wear Masks During Pandemic

Here's why some people are not wearing masks during the coronavirus crisis
"In general, people do not like to be told what to do,” one psychologist said.

YOUR VIDEO BEGINS IN: 00:20

May 5, 2020, 6:55 PM CDT
By Corky Siemaszko

There is widespread agreement that one of easiest ways to control the spread of the coronavirus is to wear a face mask, but there are all kinds of reasons why people don't take this basic step, experts said Tuesday.

"That's a simple question with a complex answer," said Jacqueline Gollan, a psychologist and associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine. "One, they underestimate the threat. It’s not concrete, it’s abstract. And prevention is a difficult thing to measure."

After nearly two months of quarantine, Gollan said, many people are suffering from "mental fatigue."

"People are constantly calculating the gain/loss of doing everyday things like going to the grocery store and not wearing a mask," she said. "Some will go for the shortcut."

The refusal to wear a mask, which has been mandated in numerous cities and states, allegedly figured in the death of security guard Calvin Munerlyn, 43, who was fatally shot after he barred a customer from a Family Dollar store in Flint, Michigan, because she wasn't wearing a mask.

Munerlyn's death placed a spotlight on the people whose job it has become to enforce regulations that rub a lot of people wrong.

"In general, people do not like to be told what to do,” said Elizabeth Dorrance Hall, a professor of communication at Michigan State University.

“Their reactions to being told what to do, however, vary,” Dorrance Hall said in an email. “For example, if a person was told not to eat cake at a birthday party, they may seek to restore their freedom directly by doing the forbidden act.”

Or, Dorrance Hall said, they might express anger at the person denying them cake or “exercise a different freedom to regain the feeling of control and choice” by eating something else like potato chips, Hall said.

Some groups, like adolescents, are more prone to riskier behavior like going without masks, Gollan added.

"Sometimes it’s a matter of wanting to control one’s own behavior and in wanting to feel like they’re in control they will do something like this," Gollan said. "Sometimes, it's a matter of people thinking that wearing a mask doesn't work, or they disbelieve the science."

It doesn't help that on the subject of face masks, there have been mixed messages from the White House.

Recommended

President Donald Trump has not worn a mask in public places, including Tuesday at a factory in Arizona where they make masks to protect people from the coronavirus.

“If it’s a mask facility, I will yeah,” Trump replied.

“To not see your leaders wearing masks in public or on photo ops suggests they excluded from the guidelines or they don’t see it as warranted,” Gollan said.

Gollan was referring to Vice President Mike Pence, who was on the receiving end of harsh criticism after he didn’t wear a mask while on a recent visit to the Mayo Clinic, a decision he later said he regretted.

Jonas Kaplan, an assistant research professor of psychology at the University of Southern California, said Trump’s supporters would be more likely to wear masks if the president led by example.

There is some new research which suggests that Trump supporters are less likely to wear masks — and practice other preventative measures like social distancing.

Kaplan said that kind of groupthink can lead to bad choices like not wearing face makes during a pandemic.

“We find that when beliefs become shared by social groups and are part of how we identify that they are very difficult to change, even in the face of scientific evidence,” he said. “Sharing beliefs is one of the ways we bond with others, and the desire to bond with others is so strong that often it distorts the objective evaluation of information.”

Also, the fact that some people wear masks when in crowds does not automatically mean they are in favor of other measures aimed at combatting the pandemic. Case in point: many of the armed demonstrators protesting in Michigan and elsewhere wore masks on their faces.

Gollan said she suspects they weren’t just trying to mask their identities.

“I wonder if the intent was both to protect identity and health,” she said. “It can be both things.”

LINK INCLUDES VIDEOS

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/here-s-why-some-people-are-not-wearing-masks-during-n1200701

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Regular Social Butterfly

Because they don't want to? 🤔

TRUMP-PENCE 2020!!! To Save This Country From The Insanity of The Dems!
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@sunluvngal wrote:

Because they don't want to? 🤔

Not  wanting to while knowing that it may cause someone to die makes them a possible sociopath, or just ignorant.  And what about being 'pro life' ?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

True, some just don't want to. But it's deeper than personal preference - the same snowflake mentality from the far Right changed laws so now they don't have to tell their prospective spouse if they have VD or HIV before they get married, or identify their contacts if they go for treatment of their disease. Now they proclaim their right to spread the deadliest disease in 100 years in order to show solidarity with a psychopathic moron.

GOPers: do you REALLY think all those misogynist judges and violence against poor brown people is worth having an intellectual and emotional 6 year-old WHO IS KILLING AMERICANS FOR HIGHER PROFITS as your ToadPOTUS?

Seems a growing majority is in total disagreement with you on this point.

0 Kudos
Esteemed Social Butterfly

OK, that's been a fun distraction, but getting back to the subject of people not wearing masks during the pandemic, I have another fun game to play called Find The Moron.

Can you find the least intelligent in this picture?Can you find the least intelligent in this picture?

Hint: 

Spoiler
The moron and least intelligent is the one spewing spittle into the mic without a mask. 🤤
Honored Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

OK, that's been a fun distraction, but getting back to the subject of people not wearing masks during the pandemic, I have another fun game to play called Find The Moron.

Can you find the least intelligent in this picture?Can you find the least intelligent in this picture?

Hint: 

Spoiler
The moron and least intelligent is the one spewing spittle into the mic without a mask. 🤤

tRump met with Girl Scouts, they wore masks and tRump didn't.  The average Girl Scout is smarter than tRump, and far more considerate of others.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I read at this group sometimes.  I want to ask if posting here causes anyone to wear or not wear a mask?  I do go out to buy food and I do wear a mask, but it is a choice I make.  What is written in a group like this has no influence either way.

After my shopping trip, I ponder this question.  How am I being protected when two people are handling every item I am buying, but yet there is plexi-glass between us? Doesn't handling my food items seem to defeat the purpose? I do realize this is the only way I can get food to keep from going hungry and I do realize there is no way I could live if I did not eat for months.  There are numerous examples like this.  As for my observation of who or who is not wearing masks, I have no idea who they vote for by looking at them.  I can say by my observation, older people tend to ignore the 6 ft. rule.  They have a habit of coming right up on me to the point I have to ask them to step back a bit to allow me to have room to pay.  I think this is an old habit for them.

I will also ask this question.  If those who should stay inside are doing so, how do you have so much information about who is or who is not wearing a mask?  Aren't you a bit isolated from that?

Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:
ChasKy53 wrote (in blue text)

I read at this group sometimes.  I want to ask if posting here causes anyone to wear or not wear a mask?  Who knows? Hopefully it may induce someone to do the right thing and wear a mask, it could means someone's life. I do go out to buy food and I do wear a mask, but it is a choice I make. Thank you for making the right choice, I hope others do. What is written in a group like this has no influence either way. Actually you have no way of knowing that.

After my shopping trip, I ponder this question.  How am I being protected when two people are handling every item I am buying, but yet there is plexi-glass between us? Doesn't handling my food items seem to defeat the purpose? Not if you wipe down boxed and packaged foods with disinfectant wipes and wash loose foods like fruits, and loose veggies when you get home. I do realize this is the only way I can get food to keep from going hungry and I do realize there is no way I could live if I did not eat for months. Wash your hands after  handling things in the store, disinfect or wash your hands before handling things in your automobile. wash your groceries when you get home and wash your hands, disinfecting anything you have touched. I have been doing this for years now because of a low immune system from cancer treatments, it's not that hard. There are numerous examples like this.  As for my observation of who or who is not wearing masks, I have no idea who they vote for by looking at them. I could care less who they vote or don't vote for but I do care about hem not wearing masks because without a mask they could spread this virus before they know they are sick with it. It could cost someone their life.  I can say by my observation, older people tend to ignore the 6 ft. rule.  I am an "older person" and many of my friends are and we wear masks and honor the "six foot rule". They have a habit of coming right up on me to the point I have to ask them to step back a bit to allow me to have room to pay.   Good for you, you have the right to keep anyone from invading your space, I am very conscious of it myself. I think this is an old habit for them. Some are simply defiant and think that the danger is overblown. Others are so ignorant they think the  whole thing is a political hoax. It takes all kinds, doesn't it? It actually has little to do with age, I see many young people not wearing masks or observing the six foot rule. Shame on them.

I will also ask this question.  If those who should stay inside are doing so, how do you have so much information about who is or who is not wearing a mask?  Aren't you a bit isolated from that? Like you said, you have to go to the grocery. Most of us have to do the same, some have to still work, my wife does. I stay home mostly but I do go out to the store occasionally and I do have to go for doctor's visits. Life takes me out of my home at times like it does most all of us. We should all put forth the effort to keep ourselves and others safe while out in public, it's simply the right thing to do. Thank you for doing so.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53..........Thanks for going through my post line by line. I do already know most of your answers to me. I listen to the news and read about the safety precautions to take.

Since you mentioned that you go out, this surprised me because I have read that those with low immune systems are required to stay in. Perhaps I am wrong on this? Since your wife works, how are you two handling her arrival home from work? Are there certain measures you are taking? This information may be helpful to someone else who has this same situation.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Soosie wrote:
@ChasKy53..........Thanks for going through my post line by line. I do already know most of your answers to me. I listen to the news and read about the safety precautions to take.

Since you mentioned that you go out, this surprised me because I have read that those with low immune systems are required to stay in. Perhaps I am wrong on this? Since your wife works, how are you two handling her arrival home from work? Are there certain measures you are taking? This information may be helpful to someone else who has this same situation.

No, those with low immune systems are not "required" to stay in. I have been dealing with a low immune system for quite a few years now, I avoided the flu last year with the precautions I take. Too bad so many are defiant of wearing masks, it would help us get through this pandemic while losing less lives.

My wife is lucky to have a small office to herself in her rather small work place. The other employees and the owners are familiar with my immunity, they respectfully stay out of her office and practice social distancing including wearing masks. She follows the CDC's advice, we both have to an extent, long  before this pandemic started.

Even though you said earlier that nothing anyone posts here would make anyone else act differently and wear a mask, if you think that the CDC's safety precautions would help others here you should post them,

Honored Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 Guess I was not clear in my post. I meant that I don't base my decisions about what I do to protect myself on what I read from a group. I believe I am doing the best I can for my circumstances.

Thanks for clearing up about whether or not you can go out. I had thought differently about that.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Has anyone else noticed the right wingers have blathered about, and said absolutely nothing...but, that’s about how much real info that they have to try to defend trump...zero!

Honored Social Butterfly

It's true most people do not like being told what to do.

However, for the last 14,000 years, most people have suppressed that feeling in order to live in Civilization. It's a very simple dynamic - If you desire the benefits of Civilization, you assent to certain modes of behavior. If, on the other hand, your desire is to DESTROY the mechanism for enforcing those behavior modes, you elect a Psychopathic Moron who will use his power to encourage ignoring the "rules", and then if a Pandemic comes, you can "cull the herd" to the point the survivors will accept an incompetent tyrannical ruler in the vain hope that will fix the problem, never noticing it's what CAUSED the problem in the first place.

90,000 dead Americans and no end in sight, but Toad wants everyone to get back to work so HIS economic totem, the DJA will improve, despite the fact that metric NEVER provided an accurate picture of the condition of the economy - that's why the worst crashes of the economy were always preceded by record highs for the Stock Market.

If as planned, GOPers get a record turn-out at the Republican National Convention - it will make the "death of the Party" not just a metaphor by next January.

Regular Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:
"In general, people do not like to be told what to do,” one psychologist said.

Have a nice day.

You are getting sleepy.
Honored Social Butterfly

aruzinsky wrote:

Have a nice day.

I always have a nice day, while I am wearing a mask when around any people, keeping way over 6 feet away from anyone, 16 to 20 feet if possible.

Regular Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

aruzinsky wrote:

Have a nice day.

I always have a nice day, while I am wearing a mask when around any people, keeping way over 6 feet away from anyone, 16 to 20 feet if possible.

Why have you and stopped using the built in quote system?  Without boarders and dates, long conversations are difficult to follow.  If only it were magically possible for you to get covid-19 from not using boarders around written speech.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

A:

You are correct long conversations are difficult to follow. That is why we have and educational system. Once one graduates it usually makes them easy to follow. Now there are exceptions like Trump but he has mental problems to solve to.

Regular Social Butterfly

@john258 wrote:

A:

You are correct long conversations are difficult to follow. That is why we have and educational system. Once one graduates it usually makes them easy to follow. Now there are exceptions like Trump but he has mental problems to solve to.

According to you, we have an education system because long conversations are difficult to follow.  I suspect that you will get many kudzus. 

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

A

Thank you for proving me correct.

Honored Social Butterfly

Communists? Just another distraction to hide something, or derail the topic. Or name call. 

I wear my mask to protect you, you should wear a mask to protect me...

that’s being socially considerate...do you care? Or is this the trump tough guy mode? 

Honored Social Butterfly

The question for this thread needs to be modified slightly to "Why AMERICANS Won't Wear Masks During a Pandemic."

In the rest of the World, not wearing a mask during a Pandemic is a sign of gross stupidity.

In AMERICA, it's a sign you are willing to kill your family for your ToadPOTUS and want everyone to know.

Gee, perhaps the answer is the same everywhere after all.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 wrote:

In the rest of the World, not wearing a mask during a Pandemic is a sign of gross stupidity.

To anyone in America with good sense,  it's also a sign of gross stupidity to not wear a mask.

0 Kudos

@williamb39198 wrote:

Communists? Just another distraction to hide something, or derail the topic. Or name call. 

For sure, it's a typical tRumpian ploy to distract and derail.  You know, claiming one knows more about something, anything than anybody else, attempting to boast how smarter and more clever one is.  And the name calling?  We all know who has perfected that dubious practice.

#BeBest

Regular Social Butterfly

@MsStretch wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

For sure, it's a typical tRumpian ploy to distract and derail.  You know, claiming one knows more about something, anything than anybody else, attempting to boast how smarter and more clever one is.  And the name calling?  We all know who has perfected that dubious practice.

#BeBest

Name calling?  I thought you would take it as a compliment.

On a scale of 0 to 10, with 10 meaning you most agree, how strongly do you agree with the following statement?:

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos

@MsStretch wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

#BeBest

I rest my case.

Regular Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

that’s being socially considerate...do you care? Or is this the trump tough guy mode? 

Yes, it is your distraction to hide the reason why you are no longer using the built in quote system.  I want to know what is going on with the quote system?

As I mentioned elsewhere, conservatives should wear valve masks to protect nobody but themselves. And, I hereby add, wear goggles and cough behind their valve masks when they are near a Democrat without a mask. There are more Democrats than Republicans without masks where I live.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There is no "quote system" here anymore.  AND ....... only trump supporting ignorant a spiteful people would want anyone to wear a valve mask and spread the virus to others.

Regular Social Butterfly

@ChasKy53 wrote:

There is no "quote system" here anymore.  AND ....... only trump supporting ignorant a spiteful people would want anyone to wear a valve mask and spread the virus to others.

Wrong as usual.  My quotes prove that there is a quote system same as always.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Regular Social Butterfly

@aruzinsky wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Wrong as usual.  My quotes prove that there is a quote system same as always.

Just wanted to check whether it would work twice.

Just wanted to check whether it would work thrice.

You are getting sleepy.
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

williamb39198 wrote:

**************************************************************************************************

Be honest William, you don't actually expect trump supporters to be considerate of others, do you?  A lot of tRump supporters don't wear masks because their idol tRump doesn't wear one. They could all catch Covid-19 because of this. tRump's ignorant actions could kill  off part of his own base. I feel so sorry for tRump supporters.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png