Join AARP panelists live Nov. 18 for a free webinar on ride-sharing. Register now to learn more about apps like Uber and Lyft.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why Donald Trump Cannot Bring Back the Coal Industry

Message 61 of 176

Crit- on the campaign trail, Hillary said "these people are going to lose their jobs and we have to find a way to retrain them.  Trump and fellow idiots twisted that and just said she said the coal miners would lose their jobs. next time before these people go to the polls, they possibly will really listen to what both candidates are saying and have insight enough to figure out who the liar is and who is the one telling the truth.   In the meantime, it's unemployment and possibly, welfare, which the person they voted into office is also trying to get rid of.  Uninformed decision all around and sad for the minors and their families.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Why Donald Trump Cannot Bring Back the Coal Industry

Message 62 of 176

What's really tragic is the fact that so many coal miners believed Trump's big lie. What will they do when they return to the poll booth four years from now?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 176

FYI, the purpose of a film festival is to expose people to independent and foreign movies that often do not make the rounds in the local movie theatres. The Cleveland International Film Festival is one of the largest film festivals in the United States if not the world. This year's film festival, which is currently running through April 9 and it began on March 29, is featuring more than 400 full length movies and shorts from all over the world. 

I have been volunteering at the film festival for six years and love it. Volunteering gives me opportunities to get on the inside as well as get vouchers to see movies that I would not ordinarily have a chance to see. The movies are usually very well done. Some foreign movies are quite poignant and funny. I like documentaries that often seldom are shown in local movie houses or on television. 

I was especially attracted to this movie last year about the effects of living near a coal fired power plant in my home state. Issues surrounding the mining and burning of coal are especially important to me. Back in the summer of 1971, as a young college graduate with a degree in biology and geology, I worked with a professor who was documenting the effects of strip mining of coal in Belmont County Ohio in eastern Ohio across the river from Wheeling West Virginia. 

What I saw was the utter destruction of the land and the people who lived on the land. I saw "high walls" more than 150 feet high, where the rock layers have been removed to get to the coal. The ground water was affected and many people living in the region had their wells run dry, making their property worthless. Others had their well water looking like licorice with black coal dust in the water. People who wanted to remain on their land had their property surrounded by high walls with only a narrow access road to the house. I saw streams and creeks with a pH of 1.5, acid strong enough to dissolve metal and burn your skin. Where the land had been "recovered", it looked more like a landscape of west Texas than eastern Ohio. 

When I returned to the class room in the fall of 1971, the high school students I was teaching had no idea of what I was talking about. So on a warm and sunny Sunday, I bought a Kodak Instamatic camera and some film and headed back to Belmont County with a woman I had just began dating (I would marry her the following June) to document with photographs what I had witnessed the previous summer. The pictures turned out great and I had duplicates made for the Sierra Club chapter where I was a member for their use in public displays. I still have those photographs and negatives from almost 46 years ago. 

That professor who i worked with in the summer of 1971 wrote the strip mine reclaimation bill that the Ohio state legislature passed in 1972. I was told that my photographs helped convince the legislators to vote for the bill. The 1972 act is still on the books. It required that strip mine operators restore the land to its original countours, save the topsoil and put it back once the land has been graded to its original countours. It also required that it be replanted with native vegetation as well and that every effort be made to restore the water table to the same as it was before the land was stripped. It also banned dumping coal waste in streams and put safeguards on coal dust getting into the water table. 

In the summer of 2012, I returned to the same land I visited back in 1971 to see how it looked forty years later. Much of the land has recovered very well and looks like it was in its natural state before it was settled. Large parts have been turned into parks and recreation areas. 

But what surprised me more than anything is the largest part of the land was turned into a working cattle ranch, complete with longhorn cattle. It was landscaped to its original countours which is rolling hills, but instead of forests like some other parts, this was planted with grass for cattle ranching. In fact the land there resembled very closely the Texas hill country west of Austin, even with longhorn cattle which I didn't see in Texas when I visited there. It also felt like I was in Texas as well since on that day I visited the area it was bright and sunny with 95 degree temperatures. I got plenty of pictures of that area. Perhaps I may post some here. 

But for all practical purposes coal mining is dead in Belmont County Ohio. Declining demand for coal plus falling prices for coal and the increased cost of restoring the strip mined land have made it unprofitable to strip mine coal in eastern Ohio. The giant earth movers, such as the GEM of Egypt (GEM being Giant Earth Mover and the region was called the Egypt valley where it worked) and Big Muskie (named after the major river in the region, the Muskingum River) are all gone, broken up for scrap. The bucket of the Big Muskie is part of a public park in Caldwell Ohio just off I-77 in southern Ohio. That bucket is large enough to park five Greyhound buses in it. I saw those giant earth movers in action and they were humongous. I have photographs of them in action, very impressive machinery. They were as tall as a 20 story building. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 176

Trump does an EO allowing coal companies to dump sludge into our waterways and claims it will being jobs back in the coal industry. Oddly his followers seem to believe that (makes me think of the word 'gullible').

Trump could actually do something to bring some jobs back to America, like having his own products made in America, and influencing his daughter to have her clothing line made in America:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/trump-s-made-america-slogan-doesn-t-fit-ivanka-s-n743056

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 176

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Hillary had a detailed plan to bring different jobs to the areas where jobs were lost in the coal industry

--

A person who posts something as this should be prepared to back their post up by sources to the information.   Unless they have no link.  And again, Hillary, being in Obama's cabinet, should have also had the ear of the President for domestic actions. 

Besides what was Obama doing to bring jobs to those unemployed coal miners?  He could have done the same as Hillary if she was elected.  And he was in office.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 66 of 176

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

I always find it amusing when the subject of the thread is Trump's inability to bring back coal jobs, the poster is accused of using the "Look over there" argument and  then the poster responds with "Look further over there" to defend.  It happens here with some regularity. 

--

I find that replying 'Look over there' is a dismissal of another's opinion without checking the validity of it.  That happens here very regularly. And who is using that phrase of dismissing a point of view?   Which partisan group?

Of course bringing Hillary into the discussion, would you think that she would have been able to bring those jobs back, or at least been able to bring compensatory employment into the area to replace those jobs?  It's fair to bring her into the discussion for comparison.

Those countering bring her name in is basically repeating that "look over there' phrase.  I would believe that anyone would find it difficult to bring jobs into the area given the political climate.

When someone distracts from the topic it brings out the comment "look over there", so get used to it.

Hillary had a detailed plan to bring different jobs to the areas where jobs were lost in the coal industry (and it wasn't simply allowing the coal companies to dump sludge into our waterways). Anyone not so biased that actually looked at her plan would know that, it's easy to find. A person that posted three or four links very quickly and said "no thanks necessary" should be able to find Hillary's plan very easily.

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 67 of 176

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

I don't believe that a film festival is needed to let us know two things, 1) we need an alternative to fossil fuel; and. 2) the free market is producing the alternatives.

Well, the purpose of the film was to document the environmental, health, and economic degradation that coal production and use causes.  Now sure about the purpose of the festival (Look over there!)

Does that relate to my comments above?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 176

@Richva wrote:

I always find it amusing when the subject of the thread is Trump's inability to bring back coal jobs, the poster is accused of using the "Look over there" argument and  then the poster responds with "Look further over there" to defend.  It happens here with some regularity. 

--

I find that replying 'Look over there' is a dismissal of another's opinion without checking the validity of it.  That happens here very regularly. And who is using that phrase of dismissing a point of view?   Which partisan group?

Of course bringing Hillary into the discussion, would you think that she would have been able to bring those jobs back, or at least been able to bring compensatory employment into the area to replace those jobs?  It's fair to bring her into the discussion for comparison.

Those countering bring her name in is basically repeating that "look over there' phrase.  I would believe that anyone would find it difficult to bring jobs into the area given the political climate.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 69 of 176

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

Having a point of view is not bad but having no facts to back it up is bad. Look at Fox News. 

--

Of course just saying 'look over there' as a dismissal is as bad as claims about certain sources always being wrong.  The major example this year is the Washington Post starting the rumor that Russia had hacked a power utility when all that happened was malware being detected on a personal laptop.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 176

@Richva wrote:

Having a point of view is not bad but having no facts to back it up is bad. Look at Fox News. 

--

Of course just saying 'look over there' as a dismissal is as bad as claims about certain sources always being wrong.  The major example this year is the Washington Post starting the rumor that Russia had hacked a power utility when all that happened was malware being detected on a personal laptop.

I find that actual news on FOX is just as accurate, however opinions is just opinion just as on liberal media.  It would be well worth the time to actually monitor different sources before making one's mind up.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22