Eye scans and gene editing are among the new frontiers in Alzheimer’s research! Learn more in AARP’s report on medical breakthroughs.

Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why Donald Trump Cannot Bring Back the Coal Industry

Message 41 of 176

NOTHAPPENING, the EPA should be employing more than 25,000 employees. It has been seriously under staffed for a long time. In case you haven't noticed, pollution of our air and water as well as other environmental threats have increased. Thanks to successive Republican congresses and Presidential administrations that are more beholden to the polluters than to the people, the EPA has been understaffed for a long time. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 176

Thanks CT for your post. This is a picture of my home town fifty years ago back in the "good days" when industry was humming along and before the passage of the Clean Water Act and the establishment of the EPA that happened in 1972.

Image may contain: basketball court, sky and outdoor

That is the Cuyahoga River flowing into Lake Erie just off downtown Cleveland. The rust color in the river is from industrial pollution from the steel mills and factories along the river. At that time, no fish lived in the river and it wasn't safe to eat any fish caught in Lake Erie near the cities of Cleveland, Toledo, Lorain or Ashtabula in Ohio or Erie PA because of the toxic contaminants in the water. 

Two years after this picture was taken, in June 1969, the Cuyahoga River actually caught fire and destroyed a railroad bridge. The fire was caused by the ignition of debris on the water and oil sludge. The 1969 fire wasn't the worst or the largest fire on the Cuyahoga River. There was a much larger fire on the river back in 1952. But in 1952 no one was paying attention to environmental pollution. 

It was the 1969 Cuyahoga River fire that spurred the introduction and passage of the Clean Water Act in 1972 and the establishment of the Environmental Protection Agency to write and enforce pollution standards as well as monitor the health of our waters, earth and air. 

In the late 1960s, Lake Erie was considered "dead". The once robust fishing industry on Lake Erie was gone and so was the sport fishing business as well. It wasn't considered safe to eat any fish caught in Lake Erie back then. 

Fast forward to 2017, fifty years after this photograph was taken and the lake and Cuyahoga River are remarkably cleaner. The Cuyahoga River Valley between Cleveland and Akron is now a national park and incidentally, the only unit of the National Park Service that has downhill skiing located within its borders. The Lake Erie fishing industry has recovered and so has the sport fishing business. Lake Erie perch and walleye are very popular dishes locally at many restaurants as well as many dinner tables. 

Regarding Lake Erie, it is perhaps the most succeptable of the Great Lakes to pollution and environmental hazards. This is because Lake Erie is the shallowest of the Great Lakes and holds much less volume of water as the other lakes. It is also the most southerly and the warmest of the Great Lakes. While the other lakes of the Great Lakes have rocky bottoms, Lake Erie has a sandy bottom and the sand is easily stirred up by storms on the lake, especially near the shore. In addition, Lake Erie has more population living within its drainage area. Major cities such as Cleveland, Toledo, Akron, Erie, Buffalo and even Detroit (which is on the Detroit River that flows directly into Lake Erie) contribute to pollution of the lake. 

But on the positive side of things is the fact that Lake Erie flushes itself out in seven to eight years, making it the one Great Lake that can most easily be cleaned up. Of course all the water in Lake Erie eventually will go over Niagara Falls. The other Great Lakes take centuries to flush themselves out. 

Another item that has gone a long way toward restoring the health of Lake Erie as well as the other Great Lakes is the Great Lakes Restoration Project and the Sea Grant Program that uses government funds to finance studies on the health of the Great Lakes and pays for projects to restore the health of the Great Lakes. The budget plan submitted to congress by President Donald Trump (just saying or writing that makes me gag) calls the the ending of the Great Lakes Restoration Project and cuts the Sea Grant Program as well. Ending those programs coupled with a gutting of the EPA would be a death blow to the health of Lake Erie as well as jeopardizing the other Great Lakes. 

Donald Trump is the absolutely worst President in history as far as protecting the environment and insuring the health of the country. Both are as intertwined as different threads on a rope. Polluted water and air causes numerous health problems in the people that have to live in it. In fact a thermal inversion in the fall of 1948 coupled with air pollution from the steel mills and manufacturing plants in the Monongahela Valley in Donora Pennsylvania south of Pittsburgh caused a layer of smog to linger in the valley for days that resulted in the deaths of more than 20 people and sickened many more. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Donora_smog

Is this the American we want to "make great again" before anti pollution laws and the EPA?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 176

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

Not happening-- Google trumps proposals for the environment and their impact.  I know what particulate matter is as our county has the highest particulate matter count in the state.

EPA employs 17,000 people causing all kinds of problems.  You guys are lucky with Trump.  He only wants to get rid of 3,000 EPAers.  I would only retain 3,000!

I can believe you, I have seen your many postings.   I have a cancer that is directly caused by pollution just like the kind that coal mines leak into the environment, and just like the oil industry leaks into our environment.  Maybe if you had the cancer that I have you might be more enlightened and sensitive to the needs of having an EPA and environmental regulations. Without the regulations we have had, the cancer I have would be 13 to 17 percent higher in the population than it is now, China is living proof of that.  And to think that Trump just made an EO that allows the coal industry to dump it's solvent laden sludge into our waterways.

Maybe considering this will change your mind a bit, unless you want higher rates of cancer for your children, your grandchildren, and your great grandchildren?

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 176

"EPA employs 17,000 people causing all kinds of problems.  You guys are lucky with Trump.  He only wants to get rid of 3,000 EPAers.  I would only retain 3,000!"

Does NH remember what America was like before the EPA? American Corporations regularly and routinely dumped their toxic waste products in America's rivers without any repercussions. Nobody knows the number, but thousands of people got cancer because of this.

Does NH remember the horrendous air quality coming from automobiles all across America before the EPA changed the regulations? 

I understand different political points of view, but I don't understand how anyone can refuse to place the health and safety of Americans first. Thank You EPA!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 176

Apparently some here are stuck on the idea that Coal Country is not dying.     Well, ok, believe that, but where is all that coal coming from and where does it go once out of the mines?

States by coal mined Q1 - Q3 2016. Wyoming #1 at 40%

That 40% in WY is some of the most valuable sort of coal and in comparison to Eastern Coal Mines, 'cleaners".       

The other question - the coal industry in WY want to export it - but how does it get from WY to big ships to send it elsewhere.      The West Coast is hundreds of miles away.     Guy with a vested interests suggests building a port in ID and "assuming" that Oregon / Washington would be only too happy to let barges travel down the Snake River to port.       

For those who have never lived or played or fished / kayaked / traveled down the Snake River, you will buy this bs.    But it would take decades if at all to get the States to allow this to happen and by then Coal would really be dead.  

The States that Donald won with his rhetoric are such minor players in this field.    More retaill jobs were lost in the last month than all the Coal workers in the East.    I'd say don't be stupid....but this debate is long past reality, some will deny reality until they die.   :-(

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 176

@pc6063 wrote:

Not happening-- Google trumps proposals for the environment and their impact.  I know what particulate matter is as our county has the highest particulate matter count in the state.

EPA employs 17,000 people causing all kinds of problems.  You guys are lucky with Trump.  He only wants to get rid of 3,000 EPAers.  I would only retain 3,000!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 176

@CriticalThinking wrote:

pc6063 said, "THIS PRESIDENT IS A BLITHERING IDIOT!"

What does that say about Trump lovers/voters?

I don't know about "Trump lovers" I don't know any of them but I am a "Trump voter" and do know some "Trump voters". What it says about us is that we saw the drift towards Marxism given to us by the Progressive take-over of the Democratic Party and saw President Trump as a needed "stopper" in that flow.

Seems like a more mature approach than calling our President a "BLITHERING. IDIOT" - looking at and comparing political positions rather than just tossing insults.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 176

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 176

@pc6063 wrote:

Nothappening- with Trump removing restrictions on particulate matter , allowing dumping of waste products into our waterways,

Please post any documentation showing any of the above (not conjecture). Note: CO2 is NOT particulate matter!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 176

With all due respect NOTHAPPENING , your left is not right !!!

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22