AARP's caregiver resource center can help you navigate your role as a family caregiver. Try it today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why Donald Trump Cannot Bring Back the Coal Industry

Message 11 of 176

@afisher wrote:

They just can't seem to let go of 19th Century energy  and willfulling ignore 21st Century technology.    

--

Not necessarily the Republicans driving this but the laws of supply and demand.  Not everyone in the northern states are as fortunate to have cheap natural gas and fuel oil, along with more and more solar power.  Without doubt enough parts of the country still burn a lot of coal for heat, etc.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 176

Republicans are funny.    They just can't seem to let go of 19th Century energy  and willfulling ignore 21st Century technology.      Surely they know that Oil and Gas are getting huge financial subsidies.    Surely they know that  Musk have revolutionized the process of storing energy captured by solar energy, so the argument re:   but what about at night has been settled.   

I am mostly amused that the newest information that was put forth today, is the China is dissing North Korea and buying US coal - and have displayed zero knowledge about how much coal was part of the hand slap ( in tonnage) or how much that coal would actually mean in terms of energy. 

Information regarding the number of jobs in the dying Industry of  Coal continues to remain in the single digits.    In fact it is the only Industry mentions in the jobs data that is in the single digits

Information about the Western State coal has been discussed, because it is land-locked and there is are so many obstacled for getting more of it to Ports for export.  

People can spin their nonsense all day long,  none of the talking points will revive this industry any better than Donalds rhetoric.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 176

@CriticalThinking wrote:

"What is it you disagree with? If technology has arrived at the point that it will permit the replacement of coal in various markets, that is fine. And that is they way it should be."

I thought my disagreement was obvious. You claim environmental rules were put in for political reasons while I believe they were implemented to keep our water and air clean, protecting the health of our citizens.

Of course it was political. The environmental bloc is a major constituency of the Dems and Obama was a big supporter. Remember the Senate "all-nighter" for Tom Steyer?

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 176

@Richva wrote:

The Chinese do know how to play Trump, eh?  Import a few tons of coal because the longer you can keep Trump from being impeached, the more of the world you can influence. 

--

I don't recall the article or my post mentioning anything about Trump, but the article did mention something about squeezing North Korea's leadership.  I understand it saying that they quit importing their coal back on February.   Did you read something into the article that wasn't there?

Don't tell me that you are against selling to China instead of only buying from them.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 176

"What is it you disagree with? If technology has arrived at the point that it will permit the replacement of coal in various markets, that is fine. And that is they way it should be."

I thought my disagreement was obvious. You claim environmental rules were put in for political reasons while I believe they were implemented to keep our water and air clean, protecting the health of our citizens.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 176

@CriticalThinking wrote:

"The opposition is having it curtailed before technology and the free market economy say it is time - for political purposes."

I disagree. I think the time has already arrived. States like Florida did away with coal and went to Solar Energy. Some midwestern states are going to wind energy. Southwestern states are also going to solar energy and abandoning coal for free market reasons.

Coal Mining destroys the mountains and the waterways. People want to see clean energy replace coal for health and environmental reasons, not for political reasons.

Yes, so you posted ‎04-11-2017 05:41 PM and it was responded to.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 176

@Richva wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

"There are signs China is taking steps to squeeze North Korea and its erratic leader, Kim Jong-un. Chinese authorities have ordered trading companies to return North Korean coal shipments and banned all imports in late February.

"To bridge the gap, China started importing coal from the US, the first time in two years, a move that is likely to be viewed favourably in Washington."

The Chinese do know how to play Trump, eh?  Import a few tons of coal because the longer you can keep Trump from being impeached, the more of the world you can influence. 

Only the most biased would take international events and a business action favorable to our nation and twist it into something about the impeachment of our President.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 176

"The opposition is having it curtailed before technology and the free market economy say it is time - for political purposes."

I disagree. I think the time has already arrived. States like Florida did away with coal and went to Solar Energy. Some midwestern states are going to wind energy. Southwestern states are also going to solar energy and abandoning coal for free market reasons.

Coal Mining destroys the mountains and the waterways. People want to see clean energy replace coal for health and environmental reasons, not for political reasons.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 176

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

You weren't worried about Obama being insulted, why be so concerned about Trump being insulted? If Trump doesn't want insulted he shouldn't make stupid claims, like allowing coal companies to dump sludge into our waterways will create jobs in the coal industry.

Can you point to any specific instances of people going off topic to insult Obama that I did not comment on? If not, it sorta sounds like "look over there".

I don't know what you mean by "If Trump doesn't want insulted...." but I know it has nothing to do with the post you are theoretically responding to. What is that "cats"?

Demand creates jobs and the demand for coal is decreasing ......... the "free market" you rave about so much caused the jobs loss in the coal industry. It will continue.

Absolutely correct - coal will go the route of the buggy whip. Your point? It is the Obama caused job losses that Trump tried to bring back.

About the "free market" I supposedly rave about - do you have an alternative?? Possibly you could offer you insights on either the Progressive Movement topic or the Acme Widget topic.

You brought up people insulting Trump. I pointed out that (in the past, not in this topic) you never complained about the many insults thrown at Obama. I said nothing about "going off topic".

Again, if you have specific examples of conversations I have been involved in that people took off topic jsut to insult Obama - please offer examples.

Because you complained about Trump being insulted I pointed out that if he doesn't want insulted he shouldn't do stupid things and make stupid promises like ....... Making an EO allowing coal companies to dump sludge into our waterways and promising to bring back coal jobs that he can't.

I did not complain about Trump being insulted. I commented on someone going totally off topic to throw an insult out. Trump did not "make an EO" - he cancelled Obama's EOs.

So what are "the Obama caused job losses"?  (there actually are none, they were cause by demand dropping for coal) What has Trump done to try to bring those jobs back? (absolutely nothing)

Those involved with the EOs.

Go in circles all you want, it's not conducive to the "adult discussion" you talk of so much.

No circles, just trying to focus on the topic without off topic, gratuitous insults at our President.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 176

@lk152 wrote:

rk9152; as far as renewable energy, especially from wind and solar, technology has already arrived at the point where it is becoming a major source of energy in many places. Proof is that employment in the renewable energy sector is increasing at a rapid pace while employment in the fossil fuels industry is stagnant or declining. 

What I am seeing right now is counter to what this country has done throughout its history, embracing new developments and technology. The Republican party is instead of embracing the new field of renewable energy, the GOP is clinging to the antiquated energy systems of the past in fossil fuels and especially coal which has been dying a slow death for a long time. 

That is because the money from entrenched interests in the fossil fuel business fears the rise of renewable energy sources because they cannot buy and sell the wind and the sunshine. Renewable energy will be the energy source for the 21st century just as oil was for the 20th century and coal for the 19th century. Today's solar panels are far more efficient and effective than the old solar panels of the 1970s. Even nuclear energy is much safer now than it was back in the 1970s. 

Too many politicians are in the pockets of wealthy donors from the fossil fuel industry, especially in the Republican party that they want to strangle the renewable energy development before it gets a strong hold. But no one can stop progress or turn back the tide. And the tide has already turned as far as renewable energy replacing fossil fuels. 

Sure, we will have to depend on gasoline to power our cars, trucks and buses. But eventually it will be cheaper electricity generated through renewable energy sources that will drive our cars, trucks and buses. 

I also believe that in many American cities, they will become more like European cities in the future with cheaper, more efficient mass transit and more people using bicycles than automobiles. Already I can see that happening here in Cleveland Ohio, a strong auto city. There are bike lanes on most major streets and I see more people riding bicycles to work, especially in the nicer weather. But even during our winters, more people are riding bicycles. 

I have a daughter who lives in Chicago and she has a car. But she mainly uses her car on the weekends when she drives to the suburbs or out of town. During the week, she relies on public transportation to get back and forth from her job and around the city. 

Many young adults who are becoming urban dwellers are eschewing automobiles entirely and not owning a car at all. Most cities are very conducive to living an auto free lifestyle. In cities like Cleveland, New York and Chicago, you could even take public transportation to the airport and fly anywhere in the world. 

The future is not with fossil fuels. Sure fossil fuels will be necessary in the near future, but I wouldn't be investing in oil companies right now unless they are getting on board with renewable energy. 

The only "Republican clinging" I've heard discussed is about the jobs artificially destroyed that President Trump has tried to bring back.

Yes, time marches on and technology advances. It is not technological advances I oppose, it is politicizing jobs at the expense of workers.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22