Reply
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
203
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

203 Views
Message 1 of 17

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

A very simple question.....

 

And why is it a violation of the TOS to call a lie, a lie?  It's NOT a personal attack as some moderators falsely claim; it's a comment on the content of what one posted, not on the poster themself.


FAKE NEWS???  Yup!  See this topic for example:  https://community.aarp.org/t5/Politics-Current-Events/Nadler-We-Can-t-Trust-An-Election-to-Get-Rid-O...   Don't words matter when you claim someone said something?

 

 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
203
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
206
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

206 Views
Message 2 of 17

@MIseker wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

It is all in the phrasing. if you claim the poster is a liar,that is a personal attack. Not if you clearly state what they wrote/posted is a lie. What makes that an personal attack? I don't understand, or just am too stupid to "get it".  Wouldn't only one who thinks criticizng ones words is a "personal attack" be a "snowflake"?  I always thought the person, the individual, was detached from their words...Just wondering.....  However, you can "dispute the accuracy of  their facts" or call the author of any quoted articles a liar. I prefer to research the statements made and quote all the sources which disprove those statements. And you do that quite well, I might add, Rich.  However, a few never, if ever provide links to their sources or attribute the "lie" to any one in particular.....that's the issue IMO. 

 

Personally, I think the moderators are pretty fair on this board. With all due respect, your view is very limited to what you witness.  You would never see the absurd suspensions as posters are forbidden to discuss the decisions made by the mods.  They ask any questions be directed to them, but they never, if ever respond to the inquiries.  Their motto, if you don't like it, leave as reflected in their TOS; " IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THE SITE, ANY MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES ON THE SITE, OR WITH ANY OF THE SITE’S TERMS AND CONDITIONS, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING THE SITE."  I might imagine that's why many have left this site.


I havent been on much lately except for periodic drop ins to see if things have changed.  They havent, and this thread points out the major reason I stopped posting. You are correct, pointing out to a liar ( prevaricater? provocoteur? propagandist? ) for their actions is not allowed. The conservatives on this board are allowed what i call consequence free speech. " I can say anything i want because i have free speech and you cant do anything about it". Sorry, I stopped playing that game, and AARP lets it continue here. OOOHHH SUUUUUREEEE its as bad on other social media, but other sites also recognize the right to tell people they are full of it.  AARP continues to protect these senior babies when they continue to spout untruths, and on a different scale, thats how we wind up with a president Trump and a right wing media that supports the lies and fails to point out the biases it has itself. I dont know if i will be a regular here any more because of this distorted bias. If im not allowed to call people out on their bull, its not somewhere i need to spend time. The real snowflakes are the conservatives that hide behind this false set of rules, and demand hypocricy be the order of the day. 


Couldn't agree more, miseker.  Glad you stopped by today.....I hope all is well with you and yours.  IMO, most adults "assume" most adults have thicker skin then AARP believes.  I don't advocate personal attacks on other posters but what is defined as a personal attack is very childish at times, and has fluctuated significantly.  And some claim simple disagreement is an attack....c'mon....

 

Have a great holiday, miseker.


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
206
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
219
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

219 Views
Message 3 of 17

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

It is all in the phrasing. if you claim the poster is a liar,that is a personal attack. Not if you clearly state what they wrote/posted is a lie. What makes that an personal attack? I don't understand, or just am too stupid to "get it".  Wouldn't only one who thinks criticizng ones words is a "personal attack" be a "snowflake"?  I always thought the person, the individual, was detached from their words...Just wondering.....  However, you can "dispute the accuracy of  their facts" or call the author of any quoted articles a liar. I prefer to research the statements made and quote all the sources which disprove those statements. And you do that quite well, I might add, Rich.  However, a few never, if ever provide links to their sources or attribute the "lie" to any one in particular.....that's the issue IMO. 

 

Personally, I think the moderators are pretty fair on this board. With all due respect, your view is very limited to what you witness.  You would never see the absurd suspensions as posters are forbidden to discuss the decisions made by the mods.  They ask any questions be directed to them, but they never, if ever respond to the inquiries.  Their motto, if you don't like it, leave as reflected in their TOS; " IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THE SITE, ANY MATERIALS, PRODUCTS, OR SERVICES ON THE SITE, OR WITH ANY OF THE SITE’S TERMS AND CONDITIONS, YOUR SOLE AND EXCLUSIVE REMEDY IS TO DISCONTINUE USING THE SITE."  I might imagine that's why many have left this site.


I havent been on much lately except for periodic drop ins to see if things have changed.  They havent, and this thread points out the major reason I stopped posting. You are correct, pointing out to a liar ( prevaricater? provocoteur? propagandist? ) for their actions is not allowed. The conservatives on this board are allowed what i call consequence free speech. " I can say anything i want because i have free speech and you cant do anything about it". Sorry, I stopped playing that game, and AARP lets it continue here. OOOHHH SUUUUUREEEE its as bad on other social media, but other sites also recognize the right to tell people they are full of it.  AARP continues to protect these senior babies when they continue to spout untruths, and on a different scale, thats how we wind up with a president Trump and a right wing media that supports the lies and fails to point out the biases it has itself. I dont know if i will be a regular here any more because of this distorted bias. If im not allowed to call people out on their bull, its not somewhere i need to spend time. The real snowflakes are the conservatives that hide behind this false set of rules, and demand hypocricy be the order of the day. 

So it begins.
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
219
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
254
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

254 Views
Message 4 of 17
See here's the problem with the premise... this isn't a court and judgement will not take place fairly. However this is a court of public opinion. Yes, people post lies here all the time, no one is innocent from what I've read. However who and how do we determine what's wrong, incorrect, partially true or partially false, made up, a counter punch, embellishment, hate motivated, stupid, or just bull hockey.

The real root of the problem on AARP isn't lies or falsehoods... it's the BLATANT unwillingness or bias inability to have discussions or debates without moral judgement and name calling. If you write a post with hate in your heart, there's no room for disagreement... it will never happen. to be totally hones, IMO.... This is only achievable by self discipline. You can't make someone else do this.

Making predictions is the big one here. No one is ever accountable when they're wrong. That is fake. There are no REAL miss cleo's . The what if's and guess who is the inevitable target? Yep.... President Trump and his supporters.
Shutting down free speech is never.... NEVER a good idea. Screaming fire in a movie theater can be good, if there's a fire... or bad if there isn't.

The worse lie is lying to yourself first, convincing yourself it's true and then defending it. As an example.....

She or he's a Russian asset, therefore treasonous. Neither Jill Stein is, Tulsi or president Trump. If you believe this... is there any hope?


liberals have rejected civility
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
254
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
298
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

298 Views
Message 5 of 17

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

 

I think people here should post links when they give factual information, as opposed to just making a comment.  I believe we are in agreement on that point.   I also think that there should be better monitoring of generalized name calling. 

 

 


But what if the link itself is a lie?


Sometimes they are.  In fact, there's a wiki-site that lists fake news sites and Snopes has a great reputation....but as you know, there's a difference between being wrong, mistaken and an intentional lie.  Isn't there?  For example, thetrumptrain site is a known Fake News site.  Media Bias site reflects the political ideaology of a source and indicates whether they have a history of being a reliable source of information. 


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
298
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
303
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

303 Views
Message 6 of 17

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:(blue)

@GailL1 wrote: (black)


NONE of the sites which I visit - (the political oriented ones) - whether right, left or center leaning - actually check "truth" - even if they could, it would take several full time people to moderate. That's nice, isn't it.  I don't recall anyone suggesting YOUR sites were policed.

 

Here (Politics and Society Forums - Politics and Current Events Board) site, they just do the basics - a very limited basic, IMO - That could be changed if AARP desired it.

 

Who care if links are posted so that the discussion can take place - I do.  Do Any of You?  I would really like to know.  Not sure what you are asking....


They aren't my sites - they are groups with the focus on political discussion but they also post lots of other stuff too - but mainly politics.  Nuance can be a challenge I see....you said, "NONE of the sites which I visit..."  No one said anything about the sites you visited.  I apologize if my comments was too obtuse....

 

 Like I said, some of them will remove troll post. 

From Wikipedia:  In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers.  Read more about Internet troll in Wikipedia.

 

Yeah, IMO, AARP has done a good job of addressing that issue for the most part.

 

How would you suggest that AARP monitor this board? For "truth", for trolls?  Well, as I mentioned AARP has done a good job of addressing the troll market, IMO.  Now for the "truth", a good question....for 1, they could enforce their guidelines that read:

  • Cite your sources.

We encourage members to use online resources in their discussions. But please be sure to cite your sources and give credit where it is due.

 

Why posters come across a topic or post that makes a claim that isn't sourced, report it, and the moderators can do what is appropriate.....give warnings and after a time, suspend the user.  Treat it as trolling, because it's close to being the same thing.  For example, there was a topic posted and was attributed to RealClear Politics and one of their "recent polls".  RealClear Politics does everyone a favor and list their polls by date and provides a brief explanation of the poll, like "Biden leads trump by xx points", or whatever.  There is nothing there about what the poster claimed.  Should that be removed?  Sure, until the topic can be modified to accurately reflect what Real Clear Politics said.  It's not difficult....just will take a little effort.

 

As Melania say's, "Be Best", no need to be just like the others.....

 

means they may have to read every post, at least on this board, wouldn't they?  Not any more than they do now....leave it to the community to highlight the violations. Or are you saying that the posters would report the "untruths" / lies?  Yes ma'am, I am.  What about if the topic heading is deceiving?  Sometimes it is the subject line that starts  the discussion, not the meat of the post.  Agreed.....there's an art to writing headlines to draw attention to a topic.....it would help, IMO, if the field that displays the headline was larger.  Sometimes it's a challenge to create an appropriate headline in such a short space...

 

I think people here should post links when they give factual information, as opposed to just making a comment.  I believe we are in agreement on that point. Great.  I also think that there should be better monitoring of generalized name calling. I think people shouldn't assume others are referring to them when making a general comment and cling to their view "it's about them"; some look for reasons to claim they were attacked, when no intent to do so was made.  "I'm offended" can be quite lame; if folks think some should be mature, it certainly goes both ways.  People can be "offended" by a look, a word, a misinterpreted comment.  I remember many trump supporters whining about "political correctness", yet are the first to complain about being offended by a personal attack, when their wasn't any. There was an appropriate saying a while back, you may recall it, "sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"....as one posted, politics is a contact sport....just need to bring the balm sometimes.  .

 

Thanks for engaging...



"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
303
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
2
Kudos
309
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

309 Views
Message 7 of 17

@GailL1 wrote:

 

I think people here should post links when they give factual information, as opposed to just making a comment.  I believe we are in agreement on that point.   I also think that there should be better monitoring of generalized name calling. 

 

 


But what if the link itself is a lie?


Democrats in 2020
Report Inappropriate Content
2
Kudos
309
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
321
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

321 Views
Message 8 of 17

@Centristsin2010 wrote:(blue)

@GailL1 wrote: (black)


NONE of the sites which I visit - (the political oriented ones) - whether right, left or center leaning - actually check "truth" - even if they could, it would take several full time people to moderate. That's nice, isn't it.  I don't recall anyone suggesting YOUR sites were policed.

 

Here (Politics and Society Forums - Politics and Current Events Board) site, they just do the basics - a very limited basic, IMO - That could be changed if AARP desired it.

 

Who care if links are posted so that the discussion can take place - I do.  Do Any of You?  I would really like to know.  Not sure what you are asking....


They aren't my sites - they are groups with the focus on political discussion but they also post lots of other stuff too - but mainly politics.  Like I said, some of them will remove troll post. 

From Wikipedia:  In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers.  Read more about Internet troll in Wikipedia.

 

How would you suggest that AARP monitor this board? For "truth", for trolls?  that means they may have to read every post, at least on this board, wouldn't they?  Or are you saying that the posters would report the "untruths" / lies?  What about if the topic heading is deceiving?  Sometimes it is the subject line that starts  the discussion, not the meat of the post.

 

I think people here should post links when they give factual information, as opposed to just making a comment.  I believe we are in agreement on that point.   I also think that there should be better monitoring of generalized name calling. 

 

 


* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
321
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
1
Kudos
341
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

341 Views
Message 9 of 17

@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Y'all got the mommy button... what else do you need?

Reporting "fake news" or lies is useless, there is nothing in the TOS that prevents it. Do you think there should be?

 

I vote yes


Well, other social media outlets have made an effort to curb the abuse.  Shoot, we've had Russian lies posted here; is that conducive to the discussion board AARP desires?  I would think not!  Don't AARP members and users deserve to expect the truth posted here?  I would believe they should.


NONE of the sites which I visit - (the political oriented ones) - whether right, left or center leaning - actually check "truth" - even if they could, it would take several full time people to moderate. 

Then you have the posters who write their own blog post on these sites - they are stating their opinions; regardless of their basis in truths or facts.

 

The only thing the mods do is to stop turmoil (verbal attacks) between posters.  Some may have rules about posting things contrary to the (whatever) groups beliefs or political standings and will delete such as the rules provide.(trolls)

 

People post what they hear or read regardless of its validation - in fact, many of them never get into details, they just read the catchy headlines and go off to the races - again, regardless of the "truth".  Headlines are designed to grab your attention or try to make a point - the actual details are much more boring and are full of specific type details - I am sure some of you will understand what I am talking about here.

 

Here (Politics and Society Forums - Politics and Current Events Board) site, they just do the basics - a very limited basic, IMO -

 

Who care if links are posted so that the discussion can take place - I do.  Do Any of You?  I would really like to know.

 



@GailL1 wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Y'all got the mommy button... what else do you need?

Reporting "fake news" or lies is useless, there is nothing in the TOS that prevents it. Do you think there should be?

 

I vote yes


Well, other social media outlets have made an effort to curb the abuse.  Shoot, we've had Russian lies posted here; is that conducive to the discussion board AARP desires?  I would think not!  Don't AARP members and users deserve to expect the truth posted here?  I would believe they should.


NONE of the sites which I visit - (the political oriented ones) - whether right, left or center leaning - actually check "truth" - even if they could, it would take several full time people to moderate. That's nice, isn't it.  I don't recall anyone suggesting YOUR sites were policed.

 

Here (Politics and Society Forums - Politics and Current Events Board) site, they just do the basics - a very limited basic, IMO - That could be changed if AARP desired it.

 

Who care if links are posted so that the discussion can take place - I do.  Do Any of You?  I would really like to know.  Not sure what you are asking....


"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Report Inappropriate Content
1
Kudos
341
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
0
Kudos
363
Views

Re: Why Does AARP Allow Fake News?

363 Views
Message 10 of 17

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@Fishslayer777 wrote:
Y'all got the mommy button... what else do you need?

Reporting "fake news" or lies is useless, there is nothing in the TOS that prevents it. Do you think there should be?

 

I vote yes


Well, other social media outlets have made an effort to curb the abuse.  Shoot, we've had Russian lies posted here; is that conducive to the discussion board AARP desires?  I would think not!  Don't AARP members and users deserve to expect the truth posted here?  I would believe they should.


NONE of the sites which I visit - (the political oriented ones) - whether right, left or center leaning - actually check "truth" - even if they could, it would take several full time people to moderate. 

Then you have the posters who write their own blog post on these sites - they are stating their opinions; regardless of their basis in truths or facts.

 

The only thing the mods do is to stop turmoil (verbal attacks) between posters.  Some may have rules about posting things contrary to the (whatever) groups beliefs or political standings and will delete such as the rules provide.(trolls)

 

People post what they hear or read regardless of its validation - in fact, many of them never get into details, they just read the catchy headlines and go off to the races - again, regardless of the "truth".  Headlines are designed to grab your attention or try to make a point - the actual details are much more boring and are full of specific type details - I am sure some of you will understand what I am talking about here.

 

Here (Politics and Society Forums - Politics and Current Events Board) site, they just do the basics - a very limited basic, IMO -

 

Who care if links are posted so that the discussion can take place - I do.  Do Any of You?  I would really like to know.

 


* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Report Inappropriate Content
0
Kudos
363
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

AARP Coronavirus Call-in Event

AARP will host a weekly, live Coronavirus Information Tele-Town Hall on Thursdays at 1 pm (ET). Learn more on AARP's Coronavirus Tele-Town Hall page and join us each week for the latest information.

Calling is toll-free. During the 90-minute live event, government experts will answer your questions and address health concerns related to COVID-19.