Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why Climatology is Junk Science

Message 71 of 82
they don't realize they are now a minority within their own minority of a party with their denial. But they will have to answer to their children before too long.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 72 of 82

Have the climate deniers:

Measured the CO2 levels in the atmosphere and oceans?

Check the meltwater running underneath glaciers which accelerates their flow over their rock base?

Studied the Atlantic/Gulf of Mexico conveyer system?

Muskeg ice melt in the Arctic regions?

Sometimes, just use your eyes to see what is happening, or speak to people familiar with some of the areas...

And maybe go interview some Polar Bears for the real story!

Never Forget

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 73 of 82

@jimc91 wrote:

@aruzinsky wrote:

Climatology is junk science because climatologists rarely use the scientific method.  See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

"It involves formulating hypotheses, via induction, based on such observations; experimental and measurement-based testing of deductions drawn from the hypotheses; and refinement (or elimination) of the hypotheses based on the experimental findings. "

Notice that experiments are a necessary part of the scientific method. An experiment is an empirical confirmation of hypothesis, i.e., a reality check. The few experiments that climatologists perform are usually computer simulations for which it take decades to evaluate the results.

Usually, publication processes in climatology are represented by the following steps:

1. Form a hypothesis
2.Make observations
3.Analyze and interpret data
4.Draw conclusions
5.Publish results
Scientists , send in the paper for peer review,  and then those peers determine whether the information is correct and valuable enough to be published in an academic journal.

Since the above process does not include experimentation, the process is entirely governed by peer politics rather than empirical confirmation.

Furthermore, the only employment opportunities for climatologists are in academia and government. Corporations do not hire climatologists.  Thus, climatology is heavily governed by government politics.

@aruzinsky , I pointed this very fact several years ago on this board.  

What you posted is exactly accurate, as I discovered in my study at that time.  

Climate change has become a religion practiced by the left that seems only interested in redistributing the wealth of the westernized countries.  Look at the environment in the US today and outside of some very unique areas we have clean air and water.  I quit wasting my time with the folks that refuse to actually look at the techniques the "Paid for" so called scientist base their reporting on.

You do realize that all you and aruzinsky have done is use actual junk science to try to back up your claims?  To prove me wrong, why don't you post a link to an actual scientific study that says climate change is not happening and we can discuss it.  Let me guess, "you are not going to do any research for me". In other words, you have nothing to back up your position.

By the way, who is paying for your position and does that sound something like the old tobacco doctors?

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Why Climatology is Junk Science

Message 74 of 82

One doesn't have to be a scientist to know that polluting our water, soil, and air is bad for us, the planet, and the future of our grandchildren. Creating billions of tons of carbon pollution cannot possibly be good for our planet and our health.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 75 of 82

@aruzinsky wrote:

Climatology is junk science because climatologists rarely use the scientific method.  See

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method

"It involves formulating hypotheses, via induction, based on such observations; experimental and measurement-based testing of deductions drawn from the hypotheses; and refinement (or elimination) of the hypotheses based on the experimental findings. "

Notice that experiments are a necessary part of the scientific method. An experiment is an empirical confirmation of hypothesis, i.e., a reality check. The few experiments that climatologists perform are usually computer simulations for which it take decades to evaluate the results.

Usually, publication processes in climatology are represented by the following steps:

1. Form a hypothesis
2.Make observations
3.Analyze and interpret data
4.Draw conclusions
5.Publish results
Scientists , send in the paper for peer review,  and then those peers determine whether the information is correct and valuable enough to be published in an academic journal.

Since the above process does not include experimentation, the process is entirely governed by peer politics rather than empirical confirmation.

Furthermore, the only employment opportunities for climatologists are in academia and government. Corporations do not hire climatologists.  Thus, climatology is heavily governed by government politics.

@aruzinsky , I pointed this very fact several years ago on this board.  

What you posted is exactly accurate, as I discovered in my study at that time.  

Climate change has become a religion practiced by the left that seems only interested in redistributing the wealth of the westernized countries.  Look at the environment in the US today and outside of some very unique areas we have clean air and water.  I quit wasting my time with the folks that refuse to actually look at the techniques the "Paid for" so called scientist base their reporting on.

VIMTSTL
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 76 of 82
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 77 of 82

I wish conservatives would stop pretending they understand science.  It becomes tedious. Somebody forward this to the GOP. 

The fact that greenhouse gases emitted by humans are changing the global climate system is scientifically undisputed [1]. Climate researchers often look to the future with their models and try to calculate how the increasing concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere will affect various climate variables such as temperature or precipitation.

https://www.ethz.ch/en/news-and-events/eth-news/news/2017/11/how-to-prove-climate-change.html

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 78 of 82

@Olderscout66 wrote:

The willful ignorance of Republicans is amazing.

They believe "expermentation" in climate science MUST involve actually altering the climate. Since that is impossible, there is no expermentation, and the science is flawed- thus speaks the GOPerLords.

I'm glad that you finally realize that the "climate" is "impossible" to alter (see your above statement) and I agree. Next, the left will be studying; making the wind blow in a different direction and magnitude.

We all enjoy clean air and don't want pollution yet the left feels the need to study what they admit they can't change and with the new green deal, we will add in excess of $9 trillion dollars to the debt each year with no hope for any return on investment!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 79 of 82

The premise is incorrect. Climatologists do use the scientific method. They continue to validate the theory of man made climate change with no evidence to the contrary being presented by the deniers.  I am tired of teaching climate deniers how science works and that it is real.

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 80 of 82

"Wonder if they hold the same view with astrophysics?"

Let's change that to "cosmology."    Personally, I believe, yes, but there is less motive for moral corruption, e.g.,  Stephen Hawking was a quack rather than a crook.

If you examine the fields with the greatest rates of advancement, you will see that these are also the fields with the most experiments per capita.  Electrical engineers and computer scientists perform many experiments because their experiments are typically easy and inexpensive to perform.  An individual can even do them as a hobby.

In contrast, metallurigical experiments are difficult and expensive because only large corporations can afford metallurgical equipment, e.g., furnaces, rolling mills.  Thus, metallurgy has a slow rate of technological advancement.  It is also my experience that metallurgy is more political than electrical engineering.  I have degrees in both.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors