From ‘liquid biopsies’ to precision medicine, these five developments will change cancer care in the next decade. Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Why Are The Democrats Against This CHIP Funding???

Message 1 of 9

@GailL1 wrote:

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

So the House is going to vote on the CHIP extension next week since they aren't getting anywhere with Democrats.  I do not know what the funding mechanism will be but they have to extend it somehow since states will begin to run out of money at the end of the year.

Personally, I think some of them should pull back their coverage since it is covering more that Children and much higher that right above the poverty line.  Some of these folks could afford health insurance - family style - especially since they get a lucrative premium tax credit subsidy.

But what I don't get is why the Dems were so adamant about the funding source which the Republican submitted:

• Democrats took issue with offsets that would .cut funding to ObamaCare's public health fund
  • charge higher premiums to Medicare beneficiaries earning more than $500,000 a year.
  • The bill would also cut the grace period for ObamaCare enrollees who fail to make premium payments.

President Obama raided the Public Health Fund over and over to pay for specific ACA things - in fact, he used it to pay some of the Cost-Sharing Reduction Subsidies since there was no funding mechanism built into the ACA for them. 

Higher premiums for Medicare Beneficiaries earning over $ 500,000 per year - that sounds right up the Dems alley - tax the rich -

People who don't pay their share of their Obamacare premiums should be cut after 30 days of deliquency - right now the doctors are taking the hit - providing care and not getting paid during the current "grace" period - should call it a "dead-beat" period..

Well in my State they cover all children, and have for some time now. It has made a big difference and we are told cut the overall health care costs. You want to go back to an approach that has not worked, and increased health care costs. What you want will fit in with what your former Gov. wanted. Let them die in the Street approach. In my state both Reb., and Dem governors like it the way it is now, and so do the experts who know the medical system.

No, they are NOT ALL covered -

New MexiKids - Benefits.gov

See the income eligibility -  This is almost double the Medicaid rates of eligibility

We could get the same insured results if parents bought the family plan on or off the exchange - they get a huge premium tax credit subsidy.  OR on their employer plan - again with an employer subsidy and a tax (including payroll taxes) FREE subsidy.

Does signing your kid(s) up on the MexiKid program required that the parents be insured?  Probably not.

As of 2017, New Mexico served CHIP enrollees through Medicaid. Its upper eligibility limit was 305 percent of the FPL, meaning a family of four had to make less than $75,030 per year to qualify. The state imposed cost sharing beginning at 190 percent of the FPL. 

You have budget problems in New Mexico specifically because your state now has to pick up more of the cost for those abled bodied people on expanded Medicaid.

What are you gonna do when the extra amount that the Feds have been paying for your CHIP program goes away as it is scheduled to do?

I bet very, very soon, you will begin to see some cutbacks in not only Medicaid but in CHIP too.

I also bet that New Mexico as other states do, use their CHIP funds to cover the shortfall in Medicaid for children who are below the poverty line.

Do you also cover pregnant women (and the associated well baby care) at a higher income eligibility than your Medicaid program in the CHIP program?

Hate to break your heart. All are covered. Yes the rules you love to find and use do not tell the full story. They are all covered in the way it is applied. Yes they do collect according to rules, but in the end all are covered by the way the rules are applied, and yes they do the same with pregnant women. This is why I tell you to stop your looking for articles and tell people to go to a local expert. Every State has budget problems, but my state does not apply the theory that GA does. Let them  die in the Streets. How can anyone be so mean that they would allow kids, and  pregnant women to go without medical coverage. No wounder this country has become a 3rd world country with leaders, and people ok with putting people to death because they have no money. We saw the Fed. Govt. try and force a young girl to carry her child when she did not want to. We saw ICE seize a 4 or 5 year old child out of a Hospital because she was not here according to law. What have we become in the US under the far right. Are we any different than the Nazi were. We should all be ashamed for what we are becoming.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 9

Republicans are obsessed with depriving the first black President of any legacy, hence their opposition to a health care program that is virtually identical to the one they offered as an alternative to Universal coverage.

Their current plan is to undermine the funding for PPACA hoping this will cause premiums to rise and people with insurance under the plan to become dissatisfied so they can kill the program WITHOUT offering anything to replace it and just go back to the way things were before PPACA provided insurance for 34 million and protection from predatory insurance companies for ALL Americans.

Bottom line: It's another GOPerscam to screw the bottom 99%, and THAT'S why Democrats won't vote for it.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 9

More from the " I hate ACA"  crowd.    It took less than 5 minutes to find the answer to the question, but that would have been too easy, instead the crowd appears to want to blame Dems for the mess that the Republicans in the House  /  Senate made when refusing to fund CHIPS without harming someone else in the process.  

How much would it take to bankrupt someone without healthcare funding, especially if that person had a serious condition that required biweekly therapy for them to survive.     GOP are attempting to sell genocide as a good thing.   

PRO-LIFE is Affordable Healthcare for ALL .
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 9

@john258 wrote:

@GailL1 wrote:

So the House is going to vote on the CHIP extension next week since they aren't getting anywhere with Democrats.  I do not know what the funding mechanism will be but they have to extend it somehow since states will begin to run out of money at the end of the year.

Personally, I think some of them should pull back their coverage since it is covering more that Children and much higher that right above the poverty line.  Some of these folks could afford health insurance - family style - especially since they get a lucrative premium tax credit subsidy.

But what I don't get is why the Dems were so adamant about the funding source which the Republican submitted:

• Democrats took issue with offsets that would .cut funding to ObamaCare's public health fund
  • charge higher premiums to Medicare beneficiaries earning more than $500,000 a year.
  • The bill would also cut the grace period for ObamaCare enrollees who fail to make premium payments.

President Obama raided the Public Health Fund over and over to pay for specific ACA things - in fact, he used it to pay some of the Cost-Sharing Reduction Subsidies since there was no funding mechanism built into the ACA for them. 

Higher premiums for Medicare Beneficiaries earning over $ 500,000 per year - that sounds right up the Dems alley - tax the rich -

People who don't pay their share of their Obamacare premiums should be cut after 30 days of deliquency - right now the doctors are taking the hit - providing care and not getting paid during the current "grace" period - should call it a "dead-beat" period..

Well in my State they cover all children, and have for some time now. It has made a big difference and we are told cut the overall health care costs. You want to go back to an approach that has not worked, and increased health care costs. What you want will fit in with what your former Gov. wanted. Let them die in the Street approach. In my state both Reb., and Dem governors like it the way it is now, and so do the experts who know the medical system.

No, they are NOT ALL covered -

New MexiKids - Benefits.gov

See the income eligibility -  This is almost double the Medicaid rates of eligibility

We could get the same insured results if parents bought the family plan on or off the exchange - they get a huge premium tax credit subsidy.  OR on their employer plan - again with an employer subsidy and a tax (including payroll taxes) FREE subsidy.

Does signing your kid(s) up on the MexiKid program required that the parents be insured?  Probably not.

As of 2017, New Mexico served CHIP enrollees through Medicaid. Its upper eligibility limit was 305 percent of the FPL, meaning a family of four had to make less than $75,030 per year to qualify. The state imposed cost sharing beginning at 190 percent of the FPL. 

You have budget problems in New Mexico specifically because your state now has to pick up more of the cost for those abled bodied people on expanded Medicaid.

What are you gonna do when the extra amount that the Feds have been paying for your CHIP program goes away as it is scheduled to do?

I bet very, very soon, you will begin to see some cutbacks in not only Medicaid but in CHIP too.

I also bet that New Mexico as other states do, use their CHIP funds to cover the shortfall in Medicaid for children who are below the poverty line.

Do you also cover pregnant women (and the associated well baby care) at a higher income eligibility than your Medicaid program in the CHIP program?

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 9

saworld:  

Democrat Pallone provided his reasons as:

• "It’s clear that House Republicans want to use reauthorization of children’s health insurance and Community Health Centers as a way to further undermine the Affordable Care Act and weaken Medicare," Pallone said. 

"Republicans remain fixated on sabotaging the ACA anyway they can. I reject the premise that we can only offer health care to children by taking it away from others, and, to date, Republicans refuse to budge in that regard." 

I've noticed that they never want to eliminate any tax loopholes for the 1% as a "pay for".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 9

Why Are The Democrats Against This CHIP Funding???

The bill is not a bi-partisan bill, you already noted the objections Democrats have.

You answered your own question.

The GOP can pass the bill without Democrats, why should Democrats vote for this when Republicans won't give an inch on the objections?

Personally I don't think CHIP should be held hostage and used as a bargaining chip in this way, if it works for Republicans this year next year there will be new demands from Republicans to pass CHIP funding.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 9

@GailL1 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 9

Democrat Pallone provided his reasons as:

• "It’s clear that House Republicans want to use reauthorization of children’s health insurance and Community Health Centers as a way to further undermine the Affordable Care Act and weaken Medicare," Pallone said. 

"Republicans remain fixated on sabotaging the ACA anyway they can. I reject the premise that we can only offer health care to children by taking it away from others, and, to date, Republicans refuse to budge in that regard." 

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/355660-no-progress-on-bipartisan-negotiations-to-fund-childrens...

Tags (1)
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views
Replies

Why Are The Democrats Against This CHIP Funding???

Message 9 of 9

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors