Make the best choices for your Medicare needs with AARP’s Medicare Made Easy. Try it today!

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Whoopi Wasn't Offended

Message 1 of 21

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

These innocent cliches were responsible for the reemergence of the Ku Klux Klan.  What do you call the scene in the Legaslative Chamber if not racist?  How about the rescue of a white woman from a sex crazed black militia?  The scenes of outright racist hatred are too numerous to list.

Apparently you didn't read my post but inserted your own thoughts.  I obviously read your post since I responded to it. Ant those scenes was what I found ridiculous and amusing because of the frequent clichés.  These "cliches" are racist and there is nothing amusing about them,  Those lines have been prevalent for centuries and has often been repeated by segregationists. So you are saying that proves they are innocent and amusing and not the vile racist garbage that they are?

As far as your comments about my personality, why don't you explain yours?  I believe that comment about me is a personal attack since it has nothing to do with the topic but is aimed towards me personally.  I would believe that someone with a past of teaching human relation courses, and practicing the material is aware of racial clichés, etc.  That is not a personal attack.  It is a simple statement that I have every right to determine your personality by your writings.  And, since you can't see racism that is right in front of you, it means that I would have no desire to personally meet you or get to know you.  If you want to see that as personal attack, or just using it as an excuse because you cannot defend your position, I could not care less.

Apparently this discussion is over since it has been taken to a personal level by another poster.  Or, you are unable to defend your position of how such overt racism can be amusing.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

@sp362 wrote:

These innocent cliches were responsible for the reemergence of the Ku Klux Klan.  What do you call the scene in the Legaslative Chamber if not racist?  How about the rescue of a white woman from a sex crazed black militia?  The scenes of outright racist hatred are too numerous to list.

Apparently you didn't read my post but inserted your own thoughts.  Ant those scenes was what I found ridiculous and amusing because of the frequent clichés.  Those lines have been prevalent for centuries and has often been repeated by segregationists.

As far as your comments about my personality, why don't you explain yours?  I believe that comment about me is a personal attack since it has nothing to do with the topic but is aimed towards me personally.  I would believe that someone with a past of teaching human relation courses, and practicing the material is aware of racial clichés, etc. 

Apparently this discussion is over since it has been taken to a personal level by another poster.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

If you wanted to see a show about blacks, why weren't black actors, singers and dancers hired.  Elvis is remembered for inventing rock and roll because the public would not listen to or buy the music from the artists who actually invented it.  (I think Elvis was great, but he was not the first one to play this music).

I mentioned Birth of A Nation to rk321, not you.  Yes I have seen it.  If you think it is amusing and not racist, that says a lot about your personality.

Remember these type of minstrel shows go back to the early 1800s. Yes, they go back to a time of slavery and the Antebellum South.  If you have a romantic view of it, just say so. And yes from what I have been reading, a lot of sheet music was sold as a result of these performances.  And not only black-faced whites were involved, but even Blacks who had their own minstel companies.  As far as Elvis, I believe these shows were a little before his time.  The original Rock and Roll artists were Blacks who couldn't sell their music to a white audience.  Elvis copied their music and style and became a superstar.  Of course he was also white.

As far as 'Birth of a Nation', I found it full of clichés such as the scene when the lead black-face actor told the group 'now it's legal for you to marry white women', or where he told the carpetbagger leader that he wanted to marry his daughter (just because she was white).  And it was strange that all the federal soldiers were blacks.  The clichés reflect the thinking in the south (and some northern states) up through the 1940s.  I recall them well.  These innocent cliches were responsible for the reemergence of the Ku Klux Klan.  What do you call the scene in the Legaslative Chamber if not racist?  How about the rescue of a white woman from a sex crazed black militia?  The scenes of outright racist hatred are too numerous to list.

You have no idea about my personality or my relationships with various races. If you think "Birth of A Nation" is a funny amusing film, that says all about your personality that I care to know.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

@Soosie wrote:

Whoopi wasn't offended.jpgWhoopi was offended when Ted Dannsen did this.

Dog whistle after dog whistle posted by the same author.

First, it was the posting of an image of a BLACK MAN with the advice to BLACKS to "DON'T BLAME and "DON'T MAKE EXCUSES" highlighted in red.

Then, in another thread, it was a NAZI image certain to be directed to those of the JEWISH faith even though it is described as something else.

Finally, an image of a famous WHITE MAN in BLACKFACE, with a BLACK WOMAN laughing at him.

And then making the false argument that its OK since WHOOPI thought it was funny.

@Soosie, the images and philosophies described in these post is very disturbing.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

@sp362 wrote:

If you wanted to see a show about blacks, why weren't black actors, singers and dancers hired.  Elvis is remembered for inventing rock and roll because the public would not listen to or buy the music from the artists who actually invented it.  (I think Elvis was great, but he was not the first one to play this music).

I mentioned Birth of A Nation to rk321, not you.  Yes I have seen it.  If you think it is amusing and not racist, that says a lot about your personality.

Remember these type of minstrel shows go back to the early 1800s.  And yes from what I have been reading, a lot of sheet music was sold as a result of these performances.  And not only black-faced whites were involved, but even Blacks who had their own minstel companies.  As far as Elvis, I believe these shows were a little before his time.

As far as 'Birth of a Nation', I found it full of clichés such as the scene when the lead black-face actor told the group 'now it's legal for you to marry white women', or where he told the carpetbagger leader that he wanted to marry his daughter (just because she was white).  And it was strange that all the federal soldiers were blacks.  The clichés reflect the thinking in the south (and some northern states) up through the 1940s.  I recall them well.

You have no idea about my personality or my relationships with various races. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

I seem to remember that, while she supported him at the event, this was the incident which caused their breakup. 

No matter. Whoopie may have whatever feelings she likes. She is not a voter in Virginia. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

@rker321 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

And what are we all planning to do to Al Jolson  are we now going to berate him and insult him for signing with a black face?

Jolson did the Jazz Singer in the 1920s during the second coming of the Ku Klux Klan.  As an example, The Birth of a Nation was made in 1915 and is one of the most racist films of all time (it actually helped restart the KKK).  Are you saying that we shouldn't consider it to be the racist garbage that it is?  For the Jazz Singer, I would first blame the producer more than the actor, but that is up to you.  Jolson shouldn't be celebrated for his black face performances, but, since it was common during his time, I don't know how much to vilify him for them either.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. the times were different. the people were different the cultue was different. and please don't tell me now that i am a racis. A Cuban racist.  ?yea !! that is precious.!!  but we can go fromn the sublime to the ridiculous and not we are more on the ridiculous sie.

So you want celebrate a racist culture?  Do you have a romantic view of the Antebellum South?  Saying a Cuban cannot be racist is in fact a racist remark.  I have never several Cubans in my life who have been racist.  There was one poster on here (not you) who identified themselves as the son of Cuban immigrants who is very much a racist.  If you don't recognize or excuse racist acts in the past, you are far more likely to repeat them.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@sp362 wrote:

Actually, during that time frame is when the Klan and their terrorist activities peaked, but I am sure you will not consider that relevant.  As far as your "fund raisers", in the 40's minstrel shows were still common.  So, just because you weren't offended by your local Jaycees doesn't mean that what they were doing was right.  How about if somebody chooses to make fun of your heritage and takes away your job while doing it?  Would that be considered entertainment?  How many minstrel shows in the 40's actually had minority performers?  Fast forward a few years and you may remember when Asians and Indians were portrayed on TV by Caucasians in make-up with bad accents.  Did that make it right?

Yes, the Klan was active during that time, but mostly in the mid-western states and especially in the western part of Indiana and in Michigan.  Even today without the Klan, there is racial tension in those areas.

As far as portrayal of Asians, I vividly remember their portrayal during the days of World War II, even during the Korean conflict.  A good many of those in movies were by Filipino actors.  But that is not what this topic is about.  It is the same basic thing of thinking somebody has to belong to the proper race in order to get a job.  I still vividly remember Marlo Thomas playing an Asian mail order bride on Bonanza and John Wayne playing Genghis Khan as examples of what I am talking about.

Where was the minstrels taking away the jobs when there were amateurs performing in these type shows?  It is apparent that some are unaware that there were many black actors even back through the 20th Century.  As I posted back then we wasn't supposed to be offended by every small transgression as dictated by a certain group of people.  If you wanted to see a show about blacks, why weren't black actors, singers and dancers hired.  Elvis is remembered for inventing rock and roll because the public would not listen to or buy the music from the artists who actually invented it.  (I think Elvis was great, but he was not the first one to play this music).

I never mentioned the 1915 film 'Birth of A Nation', but now that you mentioned it, have you actually watched the film, or is it that you are just repeating what you've heard?  I've watched it, and in fact have a copy of the digitized version.  It struck me as amusing and containing every cliché pertaining to racism.  But it has nothing to do with this topic either.  I mentioned Birth of A Nation to rk321, not you.  Yes I have seen it.  If you think it is amusing and not racist, that says a lot about your personality.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

@sp362 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

And what are we all planning to do to Al Jolson  are we now going to berate him and insult him for signing with a black face?

Jolson did the Jazz Singer in the 1920s during the second coming of the Ku Klux Klan.  As an example, The Birth of a Nation was made in 1915 and is one of the most racist films of all time (it actually helped restart the KKK).  Are you saying that we shouldn't consider it to be the racist garbage that it is?  For the Jazz Singer, I would first blame the producer more than the actor, but that is up to you.  Jolson shouldn't be celebrated for his black face performances, but, since it was common during his time, I don't know how much to vilify him for them either.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. the times were different. the people were different the cultue was different. and please don't tell me now that i am a racis. A Cuban racist.  ?yea !! that is precious.!!  but we can go fromn the sublime to the ridiculous and not we are more on the ridiculous sie.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

@sp362 wrote:

Actually, during that time frame is when the Klan and their terrorist activities peaked, but I am sure you will not consider that relevant.  As far as your "fund raisers", in the 40's minstrel shows were still common.  So, just because you weren't offended by your local Jaycees doesn't mean that what they were doing was right.  How about if somebody chooses to make fun of your heritage and takes away your job while doing it?  Would that be considered entertainment?  How many minstrel shows in the 40's actually had minority performers?  Fast forward a few years and you may remember when Asians and Indians were portrayed on TV by Caucasians in make-up with bad accents.  Did that make it right?

Yes, the Klan was active during that time, but mostly in the mid-western states and especially in the western part of Indiana and in Michigan.  Even today without the Klan, there is racial tension in those areas.

As far as portrayal of Asians, I vividly remember their portrayal during the days of World War II, even during the Korean conflict.  A good many of those in movies were by Filipino actors.  But that is not what this topic is about.

Where was the minstrels taking away the jobs when there were amateurs performing in these type shows?  It is apparent that some are unaware that there were many black actors even back through the 20th Century.  As I posted back then we wasn't supposed to be offended by every small transgression as dictated by a certain group of people.

I never mentioned the 1915 film 'Birth of A Nation', but now that you mentioned it, have you actually watched the film, or is it that you are just repeating what you've heard?  I've watched it, and in fact have a copy of the digitized version.  It struck me as amusing and containing every cliché pertaining to racism.  But it has nothing to do with this topic either. 

Kudos
Views