Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Who was the Last President.....

Message 1 of 6

Jimmy Carter had the right idea.

“Of all the enemies to public liberty war is, perhaps, the most to be dreaded because it comprises and develops the germ of every other. War is the parent of armies; from these proceed debts and taxes… known instruments for bringing the many under the domination of the few.… No nation could preserve its freedom in the midst of continual warfare.” — James Madison

Eventually, all military empires fall and fail by spreading themselves too thin and spending themselves to death.
It happened in Rome.
It’s happening again.

At the height of its power, even the mighty Roman Empire could not stare down a collapsing economy and a burgeoning military. Prolonged periods of war and false economic prosperity largely led to its demise. As historian Chalmers Johnson predicts:

The fate of previous democratic empires suggests that such a conflict is unsustainable and will be resolved in one of two ways.

• Rome attempted to keep its empire and lost its democracy.
  • Britain chose to remain democratic and in the process let go its empire. 
  • Intentionally or not, the people of the United States already are well embarked upon the course of non-democratic empire.

The American Empire—with its endless wars waged by U.S. military stretched too thin, and deployed to far-flung places to police the globe—is approaching a breaking point.

War has become a huge money-making venture.

Under Trump’s leadership, the U.S. military is dropping a bomb every 12 minutes.

This follows on the heels of President Obama, the so-called antiwar candidate and Nobel Peace Prize winner who waged war longer than any American president in U.S. history.

https://www.counterpunch.org/2019/10/08/guns-for-hire-the-us-shouldnt-be-using-the-military-to-polic...

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 6

Are we counting F-Bombs?

My guess is Carter dropped NO bombs, "F" or otherwise....

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 6

The first U.S. bomber plane came at around the time of World War I.

Many consider our first imperialistic war was the Filipino–American War - February 4, 1899 – July 2, 1902, but actually continued until 1913 because of insurgents (insurectos).

This kid gives an excellent summary...

Kudos
Views
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 6

So, Who was the last U.S. President not to drop bombs on other countries?

I don't really know, but probably none did prior to World War I.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 6

war carter unneccessary.jpg

Carter: "Being Called Worst President is Better Than Being Called A Warmonger."

RONAN FARROW, MSNBC: John McCain reaching for the worst possible insult for President Obama earlier this year said this: "I have never seen anything like this in my life. I thought Jimmy Carter was bad, but he pales in comparison to this president in my opinion."

The serious question is, what does it feel like, and what is your response to, these moments of being used as an insult? Your legacy being used as an insult.

PRESIDENT JIMMY CARTER: That's a compliment to come from a war monger... I was lucky enough when I was president to keep our country at peace, and provide peace for others.

I was lucky enough to go through my four years, we never shot a bullet or dropped a bomb or fired a missile.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views
Replies

Who was the Last President.....

Message 6 of 6

Who is the last U.S. President not to drop bombs on other countries?

President George W. Bush’s military dropped 70,000 bombs on five countries.

But those 70,000 bombs dropped by Bush—it was child’s play. Obama dropped 100,000 bombs in seven countries. He out-bombed Bush by 30,000 bombs and 2 countries.
America dropped 26,171 bombs in 2016 - a bloody end to Obama's reign.

However, we now know that Donald Trump’s administration puts all previous presidents to shame.

The Pentagon’s numbers show that during George W. Bush’s eight years he averaged 24 bombs dropped per day, which is 8,750 per year.

Over the course of Obama’s time in office, his military dropped 34 bombs per day, 12,500 per year.

And in Trump’s first year in office, he averaged 121 bombs dropped per day, for an annual total of 44,096.

The United States military drops an explosive with a strength you can hardly comprehend once every 12 minutes.

And this is all so odd, because we’re technically at war with—let me think—zero countries.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jan/09/america-dropped-26171-bombs-2016-obama-legacy

So, Who was the last U.S. President not to drop bombs on other countries?

Kudos
Views
Replies
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors