Community Manager
Community Manager

Who is your favorite First Lady of all time?

We have discussed favorite presidents but what about first ladies?  Do you have a favorite?

Here are 9 unique first ladies discussed by AARP http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/history/info-2016/first-ladies-women-who-called-the-white-house...

Is one of these your favorite?

AARPTeri
Contributor

Without a doubt Michelle Obama! For me she represented the new leadership model, integrated on so many levels than we'd seen in a leading lady before. She was real in areas that mattered, full of content, substance, intelligence, ... she's genuine, relatable, inspiring, I could go on ...... 

Periodic Contributor

Please DON'T go on. Michelle Obama will NEVER be one half the First Lady that Eleanor Roosevelt was.

Honored Social Butterfly

@gfortman@gfortman wrote:

Please DON'T go on. Michelle Obama will NEVER be one half the First Lady that Eleanor Roosevelt was.

I agree.  Many think she was twice the First Lady.  But thanks for sharing.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Contributor

Michelle Obama is by far my favorite First Lady.  She brought so much grace, class and sophistication to the Whitehouse but was still fun-loving and down-to-earth.  Very intelligent and well-spoken, compassionate.  A exemplary mother to her girls and role model to all women.

Laura Bush

Michelle Obama

Contributor

M

0 Kudos
Contributor

Michelle Obama

Contributor

Barbara Bush

Barbara Bush

Contributor

Barbara Bush or Laura Bush. True ladies.

Contributor

Michelle Obama

Eleanor Roosevelt - publicly avtive while husband was president and long afterwards.

Contributor

Hillary Clinton by far was the most determined to effect change. She was not content to be quiet & host events. 

Roselyn Carter however brought a sense of softness & serenity to her position. Her poise and composer were definitely inspirational. 

Periodic Contributor

I believe Hillary Clinton was our best First Lady. When she began her tenure as First Lady, she immediately went to work on creating a national health care plan... until she was told to go back into the kitchen and bake cookies! I have met her on several occasionas and believe that people are intimidated by her keen intellect. She is upfront, takes a beating and keeps standing, stood by Bill despite her humiliation, did more than any other Secretary of State in American history, was certainly a good Senator of New York (a state in which I live). Yes, she made mistakes and owned them. We all should follow that example. People in glass houses...

Contributor

Michelle Obama.  She set a great example for all of us. 

Contributor

What did she do that was so great? I know she did a lot of talk shows.

Contributor

The Healthy Child Diet Initiave including community gardens in the inner city to name a couple of things, but it sounds like you already have your mind made up. 

I couldn't agree more.
0 Kudos

Jackie Kennedy
Periodic Contributor

I think Melania will be the best.  Hopefully people will give her a chance.  She's my favorite so far.

Betty Ford for bringing attention to the Breast Cancer screening and later her defeat of her alcolholism and emphasizing treatment for both.

Melania is a close second...beautiful, high IQ, speaks 5 languages, accomplished business woman and a eal role model.  Brains and beauty at its best! Plus she has tremendous class and diplomacy towards everone including her critics.

Contributor

I completely agree that Melania Trump will be the best First Lady ever! She is definitely the most beautiful and very intelligent! Her knowledge of 5 languages will definitely help break barriers to Make America Great Again!

Social Butterfly

WHAT (:-o(
Contributor

Michelle Obama

Super Contributor

I think Obama is certainly the best First Lady since Eleanor Roosevelt.

We will not see her equal in the White House for a very long time.

She had grace, class, and certainly an articulate, passionate speaker,

and advocate for a number of causes. A true national treasure!

1st. is Laura Bush,  a close 2nd. is Jackie Kennedy

Periodic Contributor

Michelle Obama 

Contributor

Eleanore Roosevelt was by far the best.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png