Community Manager
Community Manager

Who is your favorite First Lady of all time?

We have discussed favorite presidents but what about first ladies?  Do you have a favorite?

Here are 9 unique first ladies discussed by AARP http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/history/info-2016/first-ladies-women-who-called-the-white-house...

Is one of these your favorite?

AARPTeri
Honored Social Butterfly

Ivanka Trump. she has managed the impossible. to become the First Lady when there is one already.

no name
Bronze Conversationalist

Ivanka as First Lady, wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for nepotism. Doesn't sound to good on a moral level either when you remember some of the lewd remarks Trump has made about Ivanka in the past. I don't hold her responsible, but I do him. The presidency is not a family business.

Social Butterfly

Another example of your wry wit, @Roxanna35!  Are you related to Ana Navarro...the (R) pundit on CNN?  This answer sounded just like something she would say!  Woman Wink

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Honored Social Butterfly

I LOVE MICHELLE OBAMA!!  CLASSY, SMART, INVOLVED, CONCERNED WITH THE HEALTH OF AMERICANS AND THEIR CHILDREN, FUNNY, SEXY; YET, MODEST, LOVING, CLASSY, WITTY!!  AND YA KNOW WHAT, SHE ADORED HER HUSBAND.  THIS WONDERFUL FIRST LADY SET A WONDERFUL EXAMPLE ANY WAY YOU LOOKED AT IT.

--TO COMPARE MELANIA TRUMP TO MRS OBAMA IS LIKE COMPARING A THOROUGH BRED TO A HALF DEAD NAG. 

YUP, I'LL TAKE CLASS OVER CRASS ANYDAY OF THE WEEK.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Contributor

Babs Bush. Classy, and no one including HW wouldgive her any guff
Honored Social Butterfly

Has to be Michelle Obama for me. Beauty, grace, intelligence, and sorely missed!!!!!, along with her husband, Barack.
Contributor

Jacqueline Kennedy is my choice for best First Lady.  Even though I'm a Republican I really liked her for how well she conducted herself as the President's wife and mother to their children.  I can still see in my mind the day President Kennedy was assassinated and how sad it was for our nation that it could happen.  

Periodic Contributor

Definatly NOT Michelle Obama; what a nightmare and a joke she made of the whitehouse - discraceful first lady, discraceful person.  Thank god the Obamas are out of the white house.  Jackie Kennedy that was class.

Honored Social Butterfly

@mark0259wrote:

Definatly NOT Michelle Obama; what a nightmare and a joke she made of the whitehouse - discraceful first lady, discraceful person.  Easy to write hateful words, but can you defend what you posted?  How was she a "nightmare"?  How was she "disgraceful"?  Clearly, the "joke" is obvious....  

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Regular Contributor

I agree, Michelle was the worse of all time.
Periodic Contributor

Right on!  Finally a comment that makes sense!!

0 Kudos
Trusted Social Butterfly

centrist, I have been reading the posts and responses to this topic. While I can understand some people's dislike of Hillary Clinton and Eleanor Roosevelt as First Lady; those that have been critical of Michelle Obama have brought up no reasons of substance for their criticism of her as First Lady. Perhaps it is just because some people of a particular political persuasion just cannot abide with a well educated, accomplished and intelligent black woman as First Lady. I believe that there are a lot of people in this country who believe that the only way a black woman should enter the White House is through the servant's entrance. 

Michelle Obama exuded class and sophistication as a presidential wife. She supported her husband's political career. Unlike Hillary Clinton, she didn't become involved in her husband's career except to lend support, although she is well qualified for a political career of her own. There are a lot of people who like the wife of a President to be just a companion who provides eye candy for state dinners and adds decorations to the White House. 

As far as First Lady, Melainia Trump seems out of her league. She has been largely absent from the White House since her husband's inauguration. No doubt she feels awkward in state occasions and would much prefer to be in the background, caring for their son Barron. Melainia Trump is IMHO far more intelligent than her husband, but The Donald is a great meal ticket. At 24 years younger than her husband, she no doubt is waiting for the day when she can become a weathy widow. So far the Trump administration is a daily soap opera that no Hollywood screen writer could make up. 

Honored Social Butterfly

@lk152wrote:

centrist, I have been reading the posts and responses to this topic. While I can understand some people's dislike of Hillary Clinton and Eleanor Roosevelt as First Lady; those that have been critical of Michelle Obama have brought up no reasons of substance for their criticism of her as First Lady. Perhaps it is just because some people of a particular political persuasion just cannot abide with a well educated, accomplished and intelligent black woman as First Lady. I believe that there are a lot of people in this country who believe that the only way a black woman should enter the White House is through the servant's entrance. 

Michelle Obama exuded class and sophistication as a presidential wife. She supported her husband's political career. Unlike Hillary Clinton, she didn't become involved in her husband's career except to lend support, although she is well qualified for a political career of her own. There are a lot of people who like the wife of a President to be just a companion who provides eye candy for state dinners and adds decorations to the White House. 

As far as First Lady, Melainia Trump seems out of her league. She has been largely absent from the White House since her husband's inauguration. No doubt she feels awkward in state occasions and would much prefer to be in the background, caring for their son Barron. Melainia Trump is IMHO far more intelligent than her husband, but The Donald is a great meal ticket. At 24 years younger than her husband, she no doubt is waiting for the day when she can become a wealthy widow. So far the Trump administration is a daily soap opera that no Hollywood screen writer could make up. 

I agree 100%, "Golf'n"!  Certainly some of the Michelle haters are racists and the others are beholden by Fox or Hate Radio, Limblah and Hannity which wouldn't dare report anything positive about Michelle Obama.  You'll never see a truthful, insightful or intelligent reason to hold her with such disdain as a couple of posters have posted. It's a tribute to their bigotry, racial/political or otherwise.

And I'm with you....other than tolerate her husband, I'm not see Melania do much with her opportunity.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

Michelle Obama is my favorite.

44>dolt45
Regular Contributor

Actually Michelle I would rate as the worse as she always looked like a frump, she had no taste in clothes and if listen to the secret service guys, they couldn't stand her and she thought she was all that and so glad she is our of our house, Melania is the best of all time.
0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png