Do vitamins and supplements really work? Get your questions answered by leading brain health experts.

Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Who is your favorite First Lady of all time?

Message 61 of 255

Nancy Reagan. It started the D.A.R.E. program. 

Laura Lane. No child left behind.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 62 of 255
Amen! Plus, Michelle gets the sympathy vote, because an immigrant took her job!
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Trusted Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 63 of 255

This is a very tough question. For me, this is a three way tie at the top. Those top three first ladies are Eleanor Roosevelt, Hillary Clinton and Michelle Obama.

Eleanor Roosevelt was FDR's "legs" as well as his conscience. During his administration she travelled throughout the country, meeting ordinary people and taking that information back to FDR. She stood up for civil rights when it was unpopular. The black opera singer Marian Anderson was to give a concert at the DAR Hall in Washington DC in the spring of 1939. But the Daughters of the American Revolution withdrew the invitation on racial grounds because Marian Anderson was black. Eleanor Roosevelt resigned her membership in the DAR and convinced her husband to open up the Lincoln Memorial and provide security and funding for a free concert at the Lincoln Memorial. The concert was a smash hit with much more people in attendance than could have seen it in the DAR Hall. 

After FDR's death in 1945, Eleanor Roosevelt was named by President Truman as the Ambassador to the United Nations. She was well respected throughout the world and was active until her death in 1962. She lived on the grounds of the Hyde Park estate until her death. Back in 2013, I visited the FDR museum and residence at Hyde Park and it was a fascinating visit. It is well worth a visit if anyone is in the Hudson Valley region north of New York city. 

Hillary Clinton will come very close in history as one of the greatest First Ladies. Not only was she an active partner as far as influencing her husband during his presidency, but she went on to have a good career after Bill Clinton's presidency ended. She served eight years as a United States Senator from New York where she earned a lot of respect by other senators from both parties. Contrary to what was said duing her 2016 campaign for President, she actually got many bills through on a bi-partisan vote in the Senate. Then she served four years as Secretary of State under President Obama. She earned a lot of respect by foreign leaders as Secretary of State. She also showed that she was a very strong person by enduring almost constant investigations by vengeful Republicans throughout her political life. But none of those investigations ever revealed any wrongdoing on her part. 

No doubt Michelle Obama will have a post first lady career similar to Hilary Clinton's. That remains to be seen. But during her husband's admistration, she supported many worthy causes of her own and supported her husband as President. She made childhood obesity and health a major concern. As First Lady, she gave grace and dignity to her husband's administration. Like Hilary Clinton, Michelle Obama was well respected by foreign leaders. 

BTW, there is a National First Ladies Historic Site that is administered by the National Park Service in downtown Canton Ohio. Canton is also the home of the tomb of our nation's 25th President, William McKinley. He was from Canton. Here is a link to this National First Ladies Historic Site: https://www.nps.gov/fila/index.htm

The first president to refer to his wife as the "First Lady" was President Rutherford B Hayes. His residence, museum and library is located in Fremont Ohio about half way between Cleveland and Toledo. Rutherford Hayes served only one term as President from 1877 until 1881 and was a Republican. His wife, Lucy Webb Hayes was the first presidential wife to have a college degree. She received a degree as a teacher from Ohio Wesleyan College in Delaware Ohio. She was also referred to as "lemonade Lucy" because she did not serve any alcoholic beverages in the White House. Here is a link to the Rutherford Hayes Museum and Library http://www.rbhayes.org/

If anyone ever finds themselves in northern Ohio, these places are well worth a visit. 

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 64 of 255

A tie ----Hillary Clinton (my choice due more because for her service to our country after the White House)  Michelle Obama (for her service while first lady and what, I hope, she will  contribute after the White House)      Hillary, Michelle -- Thank you.

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 65 of 255

Michelle Obama

Kudos
Views
Conversationalist
Kudos
Views

Re: Who is your favorite First Lady of all time? Eleanor Roosevelt

Message 66 of 255

My favorite is Michelle Obama! Why? She is sooo 'real'!!!!  And has great arms, wish mine would look that good, I do the same exercises she does & can't get that look, hmm.....Woman Wink

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Who is your favorite First Lady of all time? Eleanor Roosevelt

Message 67 of 255

Ok, I wasn't yet born when Franklin Roosevelt was in office (I was born during the Eisenhower administration), but history has taught me Eleanor paved the way for future, "involved" first ladies.

In the age where money/status married money/status, she made the best of her marriage and dutifully stood by her husband. Eleanor remained strong publicly while suffering much privately, but she was able to carve a life of her own, most notably for her support on human rights issues.  

Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Message 68 of 255
First Lady. Obama, Kennedy, Clinton and Laura Bush, these 4 had much grace and love of family and country.
Kudos
Views
Info Seeker
Kudos
Views

Re: Michell Obama

Message 69 of 255

I have always admired both Barbara and Laura Bush because of their support of Reading is Fundemental and education.  However, Michelle is a shinning star. She is a role model like Oprah, a women for every young Black girl around the world. 

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 70 of 255

@mi2752 wrote:

Mrs Carter

In my lifetime Ladybird has had the most impact..i think..and michele O exemplified a working class dream..done with grace, no snobery.

So it begins.
Kudos
Views