Community Manager
Community Manager

Who is your favorite First Lady of all time?

We have discussed favorite presidents but what about first ladies?  Do you have a favorite?

Here are 9 unique first ladies discussed by AARP http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/history/info-2016/first-ladies-women-who-called-the-white-house...

Is one of these your favorite?

AARPTeri
Periodic Contributor

Eleanor Roosevelt hands down!!!
Contributor

Michelle Obama

Honored Social Butterfly

Cent--Madonna? Subliminal messages? I'd think the most obvious reason Melania doesn't stay with her husband-even on those taxpayer money trips to Florida--is that she can't stand him anymore than the majority if Americans.

His money is nice--having to actually live with this pathological scum ball is another. Melania saw her chance to get away from him and took it.

Be interesting to see what happens in June.  Even if she goes to Washington, just watching her body language when she's with him, indicates to me she'll have separate quarters.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Contributor

Sounds like you are speaking from experience.
0 Kudos
Social Butterfly

@js58576004 wrote:
Sounds like you are speaking from experience.

@js58576004

To whom are you referring in your post?  The person (or persons) you are addressing may not get the message unless you identify them.

@Did you know that you can mention someone in your post and simultaneously send them a notice of your comment by using the @ sign?  When you use it, a drop-down menu of names will appear below the dialogue box.  Simply highlight the name you are referring to and it will come up highlighted in red in your post.

By identifying the poster or quoting the post, the other posters can follow the conversational thread and add their own comments if they feel led to contribute!

Happy trails!  ~  Mimi

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Honored Social Butterfly

@pc6063 wrote:

Cent--Madonna? Subliminal messages?

Yeah, I know....lol.   Sometimes is best just to leave well enough alone.....sometimes.

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in DC, 1/27/2017
Honored Social Butterfly

@MNBristol wrote:

I think all of the Melania Trump bashing is unfair. I was not a Trump supporter. I admire a mother who puts her child first IMO, most do.  and it would not be fair to pull her son out of school in the middle of the year. Really?  Is that true with military families as well?  Not fair?  He lives a charmed life now and will be in the spot light the rest of his life.  Is that fair?  BTW, Sidwell Friends is known as one of the best schools in the country, ranked #5.   Also, who says a woman has to behave in a certain way to be a "First Lady".  Shoot, who say's a President should behave in a certain way?  Lie when you want; slander others if you'd like; act like an idiot whenever you feel the urge.  It is only a few months until her son finishes the school year and it makes a big difference to a child. Melania is a modern day woman and she will be in the WH soon enough So they say.....  Is there any reason you believe them?  and she will be a very gracious first lady. Let's hope. I feel for her because I would do the same thing for my child. Some children adjust better than others and she knows best what he needs. Let's hope.  

Periodic Contributor

I appreiate graciousness in a first lady without the self-serving "whitchiness" we have seen in the past recent decades.    

Periodic Contributor

Sticks and stones! That's what I'm talking about when I put Melania Trump up for one of my favorite. She has not been there long, but what she has done already speaks volume to me, and that is being herself. I can't stand a live puppet. No matter what the people said about Barbara Bush, she remains Barbara Bush, and I think Melania Trump will remain Melania Trump. I really respect that about them both.

Periodic Contributor

Melania is not a first lady. We have a fake first lady. Trump is now putting his daughter every place a FLOTUS would be. Fake is all they know. Spend millions of dollars living every place but Washington. We pay Trump for all his trips, and also for the expenses at his hotels, golf courses, where ever. This whole thing is a disaster. The son doesn't like the school, get tutors. Many children grew up in the White House. It is the way it is supposed to be. Fake first lady. Wake up America....this is a sham.
Periodic Contributor

I think all of the Melania Trump bashing is unfair. I was not a Trump supporter. I admire a mother who puts her child first and it would not be fair to pull her son out of school in the middle of the year.  Also, who says a woman has to behave in a certain way to be a "First Lady".  It is only a few months until her son finishes the school year and it makes a big difference to a child. Melania is a modern day woman and she will be in the WH soon enough and she will be a very gracious first lady. I feel for her because I would do the same thing for my child. Some children adjust better than others and she knows best what he needs. Good for her!  

Conversationalist

My favorite First Lady is Barbara Bush. She seemed to be a regular person. she represented family values and lived by them. Her children and grandchildren have no idea how fortunate they are. Both my grandmothers died while I was a pre-schooler; I got to know my maternal grandmother fairly well. She was aces. I would like to think they were both like Barbara Bush.

Trusted Contributor

Ladybird Johnson is my favorite. She was responsible for the beautiful flowers being sowed along Texas highways. If you've never seen the miles of gorgeous wild flowers it's a sight to see. Of course Michelle Obama may very well be my favorite person. An intelligent classy woman.

Periodic Contributor

Michelle Obama! I'm 70 years old and remember 11 first ladies. I was too young to remember Betsy Truman. Runners up include Hillary Clinton, Jackie Kennedy, Barbara Bush and Laura Bush in that order.

Honored Social Butterfly

@cocolala@cocolala wrote:

Michelle Obama! I'm 70 years old and remember 11 first ladies. I was too young to remember Betsy Truman. Runners up include Hillary Clinton, Jackie Kennedy, Barbara Bush and Laura Bush in that order.

Ahhhh, a nice bi-partisan list.....

kudo's.....

Periodic Contributor

Michele Obama, she worked with the military and their families, she gave people so much hope. 

Periodic Contributor

Definitely Hillary Clinton.  She fought so hard for healthcare for all.  She stood by her husband through better or worse because she meant her marriage vows whether he did or not.  She showed incredible courage and endured endless lies and false accusations.  She was the first wife of a president who was ready to go to work for the people and had the intelligence and education to do it.  And she was a wonderful daughter to her mother and a wonderful mother to her daughter.

Laura Bush

Contributor

My favorite also! Laura Bush!

Periodic Contributor

I love the legacy of Eleanor Roosevelt, a strong and confident woman. During my own lifetime, I admire Laura Bush the most. She stressed the importance of reading and education. Laura Bush is elegant, a devoted wife and mother, and a woman full of grace and kindness. She represented our country so very well and I admire her very much. 

Honored Social Butterfly

The next one.  May she arrive ASAP.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

The next one.  May she arrive ASAP.

All kidding aside, my vote goes to Michelle Obama for her work as a mother, a wife and First Lady.  If you want to see the long list of her accomplishments, click here.  She even negotiated with her husband to quit smoking, in exchange for her support of his running for President, on behalf of their daughters.  My kind of lady.  She accomplished all of this while having to deal with the scourge of racism in this country, even up to the last month with the WVA Mayor and the "ape in heels"" comments made public.

She has grace, dignity, a keen sense of style, discipline and decorum.  And I love her powerful message to all, "When they go low, we go high."  If I could only practice that more often.....

Honored Social Butterfly

"The survey SAID?"

So far, Michelle Obama leads in votes with 19;

Barbara Bush is second with 9;

Eleanor Roosevelt is third with 6;

Followed by Reagan +1, Johnson +1, Adams +1, Kennedy +1, Polk +1 and in last, with a minus 1, Melania Trump.

Disclaimer....multiple votes were counted as one vote for each named, limited to 3 names.  Those who voted for more than 3 were not included....sorry, felt the need to cut it off at 3.

Some of the posts provided excellent insight into past first ladies which I personally appreciated as my knowledge for first ladies pre-Jackie Kennedy is weak.  Thank you....you lit my fire to do more research, especially @Prosecco6247.  Thank you again.

Honored Social Butterfly

We've been blessed with many great first ladies, so it's hard to pick just one. I've long admired Jaqueline Kennedy for her grace, quiet dignity, and perseverance through some of the most difficult times anyone could imagine. 

Most of our modern first ladies have taken on personal campaigns to support important programs. As already mentioned, Lady Bird Johnson (highway beautification), Laura Bush (reading/education), Michelle Obama (children's health/veterans advocacy). Lady Bird was also an advocate of the Head Start project and very active on the campaign trail for civil rights. 

I would also add to the list, Rosalynn Carter, and her work on behalf of mental health/mental illness, in which she remains active to this day. She was an advocate of seniors, and supported reforms to help the aging and elderly live a better life, and also campaigned for the ERA. She is arguably one the most politically active first ladies since the days of Eleanor Roosevelt. Her view of being first lady was to go far beyond being the country's official hostess. 

"Music can change the world because it can change people." - Bono
Periodic Contributor

Mrs. Obama 

Laura Bush.  She was sweet and kind and reserved.  

Without any doubt and not a second thought Michelle Obama is #1of course👍👍my vote from Kansas City

Contributor

Michelle Obama, hands down !!!

True to herself, kind, very involved w/children and families.

Love her !!! 

Contributor

My favorite first lady without hesitation is Michelle Obama.  Inspirational, motivational and strong.....a behavior exhibted everday of her husband's presidency.  She was the shoulder he leaned on during those hurtful times. As the first lady in my house, I am fully aware of the impact from adverserial situations.  

Periodic Contributor

Michelle Obama!!

It really felt like she cared for all of us. She did her best to reach as many people as she could during the time that her husband was serving as our President. She gave her best; and, I truly appreciate all that she did.❤️

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png