Boycotts, Movements and Marches: Relive Some of the Events That Led to Change During the Civil Rights Movement. Read More

Treasured Social Butterfly

Re: Who is your favorite First Lady of all time?

Message 191 of 201

Eleanor Roosevelt!!!!

Report Inappropriate Content

Message 192 of 201
Michelle recently, Roosevlet and Adams historically, and for impact Lady Bird. Keep America Beautiful. she literally trained our generation not to toss yer stuff out the window, and those thoughts follow thru with recycling etc.
So it begins.
Silver Conversationalist

Message 193 of 201
I have 3 favorites, Eleanor Roosevelt because of her humanity, Laura Bush because of her Literacy Program and Michelle Obama because of her dedication to making children's health better and her support of soldiers families.
A special shoutout to Ladybird for her Wildflowers program to beautify highways, I still enjoy it today. No doubt these programs will be trashed, one by one, along with NPR, PBS- Making America something Again, definitely not great.
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 194 of 201

My personal views on a First Lady are, how this Lady can influence whatever she chooses for the good of the country.

I choose Eleanor Roosevelt. I feel that she was probably  ahead of her time and her views are still quite relevant today.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 195 of 201

Prosecco6247 wrote:

I have been reading First Women:  The Grace and Power of America's First Ladies by Kate Anderson Brower.

Jackie Kennedy

Nancy Reagan

Hillary Clinton

Laura Bush

Michelle Obama    

Eleanor Roosevelt

Abigail Adams  

As my tongue in cheek analysis of Melania Trump so clearly indicates, I pretty much have no use for her as a First Lady........................................or as a person.

Any of the First Ladies mentioned in your post are miles upon miles culturally, morally, and honorably above Melania Trump.

Michelle Obama was a great First Lady and has the rest of her life to continue her work.

But if I had to select one whose entire body of work was taken into account, I'd have to select Eleanor Roosevelt. She served the public before being First Lady and years after being First Lady. She was First Lady in America's most difficult time in its history.

Trusted Social Butterfly

Message 196 of 201

I have been reading First Women:  The Grace and Power of America's First Ladies by Kate Anderson Brower.

If you'd asked me when I was younger, I would have said Jackie Kennedy...hands down.

What strikes me is that the modern First Ladies are quite supportive of one another.  It's a club like no other and they all know what it's like to live in that rarified environment where politics, power, elegance, statecraft, society and service all converge.  They actually want to help their successors succeed and keep in touch in a variety of ways.  It's an especially daunting task if the First Ladies' have school age children and those who have raised children in the White House bond rather quickly over their shared experiences.  It's a sorority like no other.  With the possible exception of Nancy Reagan, they make themselves available to one another on a regular basis, exchange cards, letters and phone calls and generally become fast friends over the years of a Presidential term.

I was surprised to learn that Jackie had become lifelong friends with Hillary Clinton and was a quiet but enthusiastic supporter.  Overcoming Jackie's star quality was a small issue in the beginning, but Hillary was soon put at ease by her warmth and charm.

Another unlikely friendship is that of Laura Bush and Michelle Obama.  Mrs. Bush was already an expert in "all things White House" by the time she arrived to serve as "First Lady."

She had spent many weekends there and at Camp David with the senior Bushes and thoroughly enjoyed her time there.  She'd married into a political family and knew what she was in for as soon as her husband was declared the winner of a hotly contested election.  

Michelle Obama, OTOH, did not really want to be there.  She was supportive of Barack but as a modern American woman who had always worked in the profession she'd prepared herself for, she wasn't really ready to give all that up for a frightening unknown.

Laura Bush took her under her wing and made herself available for as long as Michelle needed her.  Such a generous act created a lifelong friendship for them and their spouses. There is genuine affection among the two couples.

Michelle Obama has redefined the role of First Lady both in the White House and out among the American people.  She came into our lives amid strong criticism...for almost every aspect of her being...then overcame it to become one of the most popular First Ladies in recent history along with Mrs. Bush and Mrs. Clinton.

Your question referred to our all-time favorites.  Wow!  That's a tough question.  Eleanor Roosevelt and Abigail Adams are hard to beat!

I'm going to have to say it's a tie for me...Laura Bush and Michelle Obama.  They were the epitome of modern First Ladies and I admire each of them for their personal examples of character, grace, intelligence, generosity of spirit, in their roles as wives and mothers and as lovely and gracious representatives of our President and our nation.

"Never succumb to the temptation of bitterness." ~ Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Valued Social Butterfly

Message 197 of 201

I LOVE MICHELLE OBAMA!!  CLASSY, SMART, INVOLVED, CONCERNED WITH THE HEALTH OF AMERICANS AND THEIR CHILDREN, FUNNY, SEXY; YET, MODEST, LOVING, CLASSY, WITTY!!  AND YA KNOW WHAT, SHE ADORED HER HUSBAND.  THIS WONDERFUL FIRST LADY SET A WONDERFUL EXAMPLE ANY WAY YOU LOOKED AT IT.

--TO COMPARE MELANIA TRUMP TO MRS OBAMA IS LIKE COMPARING A THOROUGH BRED TO A HALF DEAD NAG. 

YUP, I'LL TAKE CLASS OVER CRASS ANYDAY OF THE WEEK.

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Valued Social Butterfly

Message 198 of 201

AARPTeri wrote:

Here are 9 unique first ladies discussed by AARP http://www.aarp.org/politics-society/history/info-2016/first-ladies-women-who-called-the-white-house...

Is one of these your favorite?

These don't even come close to my favorite.

MY FAVORITE IS MELANIA TRUMP

She is the whole package!!!!!

Where else would you get a First Lady that:

(1) Dropped out of college.

(2) Lied about it and said she was a college graduate.

(3) Illegally worked in the United States

(4) Was a struggling 35 year old that married a billionaire who was over 20 years older than her( kinda reminds you of Anna Nicole Smith).

(5) Wore a $200,000 dress to her wedding.

(6) Plagiarized a speech and delivered it on national television.

(7) Posed for nude photos.

Yes, Melania Trump certainly provides an excellent example of character and morals.

Message 199 of 201

Michelle Obama is my favorite.

Have pity for Melania - she hasn't yet got rid of that ugly fat.
Frequent Social Butterfly

Message 200 of 201
Has to be Michelle Obama for me. Beauty, grace, intelligence, and sorely missed!!!!!, along with her husband, Barack.