When it comes to your workout, there are good reasons not to go it alone. Check out the benefits of exercise buddies.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Who are you voting for and WHY?

Message 201 of 217

Mick, right off the top of my head she sponsored legislation funding New York's recovery efforts after 9/11 and for healthcare funding for the first responders. She was also a sponsor of the Lily Ledbetter Fair Pay Act. All of these were signed into law.

The CHIP program was no minor accomplishment, and it did become law. It's incredible to me that you dismiss her role in the Iran nuclear deal, not to mention that she was influential in convincing Obama to do the raid that captured bin Laden. (Biden opposed it.)

No, world peace is not a plan. Neither is solving world hunger. Part of my problem with Sanders is that his ideas (which most of us agree with) aren't fleshed out. His support for them seems more symbolic than serious. I'm also concerned that the bills he's introduced during his 25 years in Congress have been symbolic, with the vast majority of them dying in committee. I'm not interested in bills that have a 1 percent chance of passing.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 202 of 217
I'm voting for Bernie.

Hillary is a war hawk. Bernie is not.

Hillary takes tons of money from corporations. Bernie accepts money only from real people.

Bernie will push for Medicare-for-All. Hillary will not.

Public Funded Elections - better chance with Bernie at the helm.
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 203 of 217

As a Senator, Clinton sponsored three bills that became law: S.3145, S.3613, and S.1241. The first of these renamed a highway in New York state, the second renamed a post office in New York City, and the third established the Kate Mullany National Historic Site in Troy, New York and authorized funding to set the site up.

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Kudos
Views

Message 204 of 217

Bernard “Bernie” Sanders sits on the following committees:

Issue Areas

Sanders sponsors bills primarily in these issue areas:

Armed Forces and National Security (27%) Health (18%) Labor and Employment (11%) Energy (10%) Education (9%) Government Operations and Politics (9%) Taxation (8%) Finance and Financial Sector (7%)

Recent Bills

Some of Sanders’s most recently sponsored bills include...

During Sanders’ time in the Senate, he sponsored two bills that became law: S.885 and S.893. The first of these renamed a post office in Vermont. The second increased compensation for disabled veterans and their families.

While Sanders chaired the Senate’s Veteran Affairs committee during the 113th Congress (2013-2014), 13 of the committee’s bills became law. That may not sound like a lot until you realize that the Senate Veterans Affairs (VA) committee only passed 8.5 bills into law on average during each of the past 20 Congresses and that these 13 bills became law during the second least productive Congress in American history.

Sanders’ most significant achievement during 113th Congress was passing a $16.3 billion bipartisan VA reform bill that expanded existing and created new health care facilities, allowed veterans to go outside the VA system to private health care providers when wait times are too long or if a veteran lives more than 40 miles away from a VA facility, and made it easier to fire VA officials.

Sanders was so effective as a legislator that the (right-wing) Veterans of Foreign Wars awarded him its highest honor in 2015.

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 205 of 217

World Peace is a Plan as well.......................Eliminating World Hunger is a Plan also - fairly meaningless unless you can point to - one of your plans becoming law not by your inititiative but by your own activity - ability & skill as a Legislator

What Legislation did she sponsor

What Legislation did she sponsor that was passed

What Legislation did she sponsor - was passed - and was signed into law

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 206 of 217

Mick, I don't see any plans at all on Sanders' web site. I see goals and aspirations, which I happen to agree with, but no specific plan.

This is a plan:

One issue that's very important to me is lowering prescription drug costs. I think we could get some bipartisan support for this aspect of health reform, as I've heard many staunch Republican friends complain about drug company profiteering.

Clinton's plan would:

• Leverage Medicare's negotiating power by allowing Medicare to negotiate drug and biologic prices.
  • Allow Americans to import drugs from abroad. Rescind the clause in the Part D legislation that prohibits importation.
  • Increase the number of generics available by a) fully funding the FDA's Office of Generic Drugs and clearing out the multi-year backlog of generic applications and b) lowering the exclusivity period for specialty and biologic drugs from 12 to 7 years. Often people with certain conditions have access only to a single drug--they need some choices.
  • Another important step in making generics more available is to prohibit the "pay for delay" arrangements that prolong a drug company's patent. No longer should drug companies be allowed to make minor tweaks to profitable drugs to extend their patent by up to 10 years.
  • Eliminate tax breaks for direct-to-consumer advertising. Use the money saved by the government to make permanent the R&D tax credit. This is a point I know many conservatives would support, as everyone notices and resents the constant television advertising.
  • Cap monthly and annual out-of-pocket costs for prescription drugs. Following the example of states like California and Maine, Clinton's plan would require insurance companies to place a monthly limit of $250 for out-of-pocket prescription drug costs.

These are very specific proposals that address an achievable goal. One of the reasons I support Clinton is that she's obviously thought about what she wants to achieve.

https://www.hillaryclinton.com/briefing/factsheets/2015/09/21/hillary-clinton-plan-for-lowering-pres...

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 207 of 217

@cat2015 wrote:

Clinton was the driving force behind the Children's Health Initiative Program in the '90s, the biggest expansion of health coverage since Medicare. She organized the sanctions against Iran and began the negotiations that lead to the Iran nuclear deal. 

Those two are off the top of my head.

She was a Senator - what are her Legislative accomplishments

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 208 of 217

Clinton was the driving force behind the Children's Health Initiative Program in the '90s, the biggest expansion of health coverage since Medicare. She organized the sanctions against Iran and began the negotiations that lead to the Iran nuclear deal. 

Those two are off the top of my head.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 209 of 217

@cat2015 wrote:

I'm supporting Clinton because I think she's the smartest and most experienced candidate. She's a policy wonk like her husband, but I like policy wonks. She's also spent a lifetime devoted to causes I believe in--health care reform, women's issues, gun regulation, children's issues. I like her very specific plans for reducing prescription drug prices and making college more affordable (eliminating profiteering on student loans, letting young adults refinance their loans at lower rates, making community college tuition-free, etc.) I also like her opposition to Citizens United and her support for ending the carried-interest loophole.

She's the only candidate I would trust with foreign policy.

Name some examples of her legislative accomplishments

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 210 of 217

@cat2015 wrote:

Mick, how can you vote for Trump if you support Sanders, and vice-versa? That doesn't make any sense. You do understand that they're radically different. Sanders is calling for Medicare for All and Trump wants to eliminate the estate tax and go head-to-head with Putin.

Neither one has proposed any specific plans to accomplish their goals.

Sanders has as many PLANS to accomplish his goals as Clinton and if you think Clinton has any better chance or intent of following thru on her campaign promises than Sanders - I'd like to hear why 

Your always asking to see my research - why don;t you do your own and you can start here if you're serious

https://berniesanders.com/issues/

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views