Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Re: Who Won Democratic Debate? - Focus Group

Message 21 of 36

You better learn about Frank Luntz record in what he does. He is one of the worst. Second learn about what a focus group session is and what it does.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I first "learned" about Frank Luntz sometime during the Bush years. There was a special about him, I think it was on PBS. Maybe 60 Minutes. One of those types of shows. They showed his focus groups. The participands would press buttons or use dials so he can judge their reactions to what he would say. He had it down to a science. Since then I've seen him appear on political talk shows numerous times.
I didn't like him back then because he was helping Republicans win by choosing the best words and phrases to sway voters. I saw it as manipulating voters with words and phrases. I'd hear some of my Republican friends use Frank Kuntz's words to defend Republican policies.

I didn't like him, but I respected him because he was very good at what he did.

Let me give you some background on Frank Luntz...

• His company, Luntz Global, LLC specializes in message creation and image management for political and commercial clients.
  • He has written, supervised, and conducted more than 2,000 surveys, focus groups, ad tests, and dial sessions in over 24 countries and four continents within the past ten years.
  • He received an undergraduate degree from the University of Pennsylvania, and received a Doctorate in Politics from Oxford University.
  • He was an Adjunct Professor at the University of Pennsylvania and also taught at both George Washington University and American University.
  • In his political consulting practice, Luntz frequently tests word and phrase choices by using focus groups and interviews. He says he is much more interested in how someone feels as opposed to how someone thinks.
  • He was Pat Buchanan's pollster during the 1992 Republican presidential primary.
  • He served as Ross Perot's pollster in the general election.
  • He has also worked in several elections abroad including elections in the UK, Ireland, and Australia.
  • He is credited with the 2010 PolitiFact "Lie of the Year" award for his promotion of the phrase "government takeover" in reference to healthcare reform.
  • Luntz is the author of the 2007 New York Times Best Seller, Words That Work: It's Not What You Say, It's What People Hear.

https://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-politicians/republicans/frank-luntz-net-worth/

Report Inappropriate Content
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 22 of 36

@jimc91 wrote:

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 11.02.36 AM.png

Trump is still winning...

If Trump is still winning that means we will have a Mob Boss Dictator as President for life and all that goes with that. Camps where people who disagree with the Dictator are sent in some casses to die, no free speech, only white people supporting the Dictator can be full citizens, women are reduced to child bearing only for who ever the dictator tells them to, it will be just like NAZI Germany.  The good thing right now Trump is not winning except in the eyes of his enablers.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 23 of 36

Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 11.02.36 AM.png

Trump is still winning...

VIMTSTL
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 24 of 36

@gordyfl wrote:

I watched a good bit of the debates and to me there was no winner, but they all lost and the Dems lost.
It was like a group of children putting on a performance for a group of people who have little knowledge of the real world.

Trump was missing from the back and forth most of the time, but big new programs were being talked about all the time, and none of them will ever happen in the next 4 years.

There only seemed to be one that wanted to take on Trump as number one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are some Democrats who would prefer that the Debate would have spent the entire three hours bashing Trump. Then the candidate that bashes Trump the best wins the nomination.

Who mentioned Trump the most?

The candidates may not have spoken for equal amounts of time, but one thing they did have in common was name-dropping Trump.

Klobuchar, for example, talked about Trump way more than Warren, who only mentioned him once. (She came in second to last in Trump mentions at the November debate, too, saying his name just twice.)

How often Trump’s name was mentioned by candidates in the sixth Democratic debate?dem debate trump's name.jpg

But I think Andrew Yang hit the mark when he said in his closing statement:

"I know what you're thinking, America. How am I still on this stage with them?

(Applause and laughter)

Our campaign is growing all the time because we are laser focused at solving the real problems that got Donald Trump elected in the first place."

I believe Frank Luntz is right. There is a group of Democrats (I hope a large group) who are opposed to  big money in politics. I have been a member of that group for the past 20-plus years. So, I was glad to hear Elizabeth Warren call out Mayor Pete for holding his now infamous Wine Cave Fundraiser.

You hear Democrats proclaim that they are opposed to Citizens United (unlimited amount of money donated to a candidate's PAC or Super PAC) but then they use Citizens United to the best of their advantage - like Hillary also did in 2016. (Not Bernie).

You better learn about Frank Luntz record in what he does. He is one of the worst. Second learn about what a focus group session is and what it does. Have you ever taken part in one? There was not one  word about the effort now under way to interfere in the 2020 election and how to handle that by any of them, and if they do not handle that there is a good chance the Dems loose. You have the 3rd largest Co. now working full steam and I have heard has millions of followers most of who understand none of what you are using to try and cover for the failure of them to get real, and give us a clear path on how they will end trump and correct the damage he has done.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 25 of 36

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

Actually.... the republicans won the debate. 

No that is not true. The Reb. are so bad they will not allow debates among their candidates. The Dems held one and the Reb. are to scared to as they know their Dictator has ordered otherwise, and that is why no one should vote Reb. to support a Hitler wanna be.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 26 of 36

@jimc91 wrote:

Sixth Democratic Debate Draws 6 Million Viewers, Lowest Figure in Current Cycle

By.  WILL THORNE

Last night’s Democratic debate, which inevitably dealt with the recent impeachment of President Donald Trump, drew just over 6 million total viewers for PBS and Politico, according to Nielsen figures. Topics such as the economy, climate change, racism, Afghanistan, and taxing the wealthy were also on the agenda.

That total, which counts the PBS broadcast and the simulcast on CNN and CNN en Español, makes it the least watched debate so far in the current cycle, only just behind the previous MSNBC debate which drew 6.5 million. Last night’s squaring off reached more than 2 million viewers across PBS stations nationwide, and was seen on CNN by just over 4 million people.

Per PBS, the debate live streams across PBS NewsHour’s, Politico’s, PBS’s, and CNN’s digital and social platforms totaled more than 8.4 million viewers.

None of the Democratic debates thus far in this cycle have come near to the 24 million viewership figure posted by Donald Trump’s first debate on Fox News in August of 2015. The most watched debate from this cycle to date was the very first on NBC which drew 15.3 million total viewers, while the Democratic debate record to beat is the 15.7 million who tuned in for the CNN debate from the 2016 election cycle between Bernie Sandersand eventual nominee Hillary Clinton.

Only seven candidates took to the stage last night, after double digit numbers in previous debates. The seven who qualified were former vice president Joe Biden; Indiana mayor Pete Buttigieg; Minnesota senator Amy Klobuchar; Vermont senator Bernie Sanders; California billionaire Tom Steyer; Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren; and entrepreneur Andrew Yang.

Last night’s debate was moderated by Judy Woodruff, Amna Nawaz, Yamiche Alcindor, and Tim Alberta.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

IMHO. Yang had the only message that actually resonated with people...

Well first let me ask  you 2 questions. You support Trump and you watch the Dem debates to tell Dems how to vote in the the election.Are you trying to make sure the worst Dem wins to oppose Trump? Why do we not see any Reb. Debates since there are at least 2 who oppose Trump on the Reb. side? I have one final question so make it 3. Why did the Reb.cancel their primary elections on orders of Dictator Trump? I will answer that one for you. Trump is a Mob Boss who wants to be Dictator like Hitler was and can not handle any one opposing them, and sadly they have enablers who help them.

Highlighted
Esteemed Social Butterfly

Message 27 of 36

Actually.... the republicans won the debate. 

Liberals are nuttier than squirrel poop
Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 28 of 36

I watched a good bit of the debates and to me there was no winner, but they all lost and the Dems lost.
It was like a group of children putting on a performance for a group of people who have little knowledge of the real world.

Trump was missing from the back and forth most of the time, but big new programs were being talked about all the time, and none of them will ever happen in the next 4 years.

There only seemed to be one that wanted to take on Trump as number one.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There are some Democrats who would prefer that the Debate would have spent the entire three hours bashing Trump. Then the candidate that bashes Trump the best wins the nomination.

Who mentioned Trump the most?

The candidates may not have spoken for equal amounts of time, but one thing they did have in common was name-dropping Trump.

Klobuchar, for example, talked about Trump way more than Warren, who only mentioned him once. (She came in second to last in Trump mentions at the November debate, too, saying his name just twice.)

How often Trump’s name was mentioned by candidates in the sixth Democratic debate?dem debate trump's name.jpg

But I think Andrew Yang hit the mark when he said in his closing statement:

"I know what you're thinking, America. How am I still on this stage with them?

(Applause and laughter)

Our campaign is growing all the time because we are laser focused at solving the real problems that got Donald Trump elected in the first place."

I believe Frank Luntz is right. There is a group of Democrats (I hope a large group) who are opposed to  big money in politics. I have been a member of that group for the past 20-plus years. So, I was glad to hear Elizabeth Warren call out Mayor Pete for holding his now infamous Wine Cave Fundraiser.

You hear Democrats proclaim that they are opposed to Citizens United (unlimited amount of money donated to a candidate's PAC or Super PAC) but then they use Citizens United to the best of their advantage - like Hillary also did in 2016. (Not Bernie).

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Who Won Democratic Debate? - Focus Group

Message 29 of 36

"You or Chris Cillizza won't convince any Bernie Sanders supporters that he lost the Debate."

I really don't care what you or all other Bernie Sanders supporters think about the debate. It was a minor blimp in what will be a long campaign. I was merely trying to point out there are a variety of opinions on who won the debate. 

But here's the far more important point. Most people do not cast a vote based on debates. If you will recall, Hillary won all 3 presidential debates in 2016 but Trump was elected. The relevance of debate performances are almost always overrated. Most people vote for a candidate whom they like and he or she makes them feel comfortable.

Highlighted
Honored Social Butterfly

Message 30 of 36

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards.

Solve your favorite crosswords on AARP Games to earn AARP Rewards points. Try your hand at the Daily Crossword, the Mini Crossword, and Let’s Crossword, the new member game you can play with family and friends. Play Now.

Top Authors