Refresh your driving skills and you could save on your auto insurance! Sign up for the AARP Smart Driver course.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Whitehouse will get the shutdown it wanted.

Message 31 of 61

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Trump is causing the shutdown and says he will own it. Funny how trump supporters seem to support a shutdown as long as trump wants it.

Who cares if it shuts down? Do you?

Anyone with good sense does and yes, that includes me.

So, you want it open because you have good sense but don't know why you want it opened.  I understand now.

Of course I want the government "kept open", but this isn't about anything being "opened", it's about trump shutting down the government. No, it looks like you don't understand. You don't understand the cost of shutting down the government, do you? 

It's really simple: opened is the opposite of closed (for liberals).

It is simple. If you own a McDonald's and the manager you hire can't keep it open, you fire the manager.  

Did you forget the Congress in this?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 61

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Trump is causing the shutdown and says he will own it. Funny how trump supporters seem to support a shutdown as long as trump wants it.

Who supports a shutdown?? And who wants it??

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 61

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

These clowns in DC play that CR after CR game over and over. Finally someone is telling them to do their jobs.

You mean............telling them to impeach a President who brags about shutting down the government? 

I heard no President do that. What are you talking about?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 61

@rker321 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Will anyone notice that the government is shut down?  If you are traveling to a National Park, you may notice but otherwise, the world keeps spinning.

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Will anyone notice that the government is shut down?  If you are traveling to a National Park, you may notice but otherwise, the world keeps spinning.

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

If it is such an inconsequential deal, why not shut it down every year?

Sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me.

Sounds good to me.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 61

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

If it is such an inconsequential deal, why not shut it down every year?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 61

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

So, you want it open because you have good sense but don't know why you want it opened.  I understand now.

Of course I want the government "kept open", but this isn't about anything being "opened", it's about trump shutting down the government. No, it looks like you don't understand. You don't understand the cost of shutting down the government, do you? 

Still stuck on opened and closed?  What is the cost of a government shutdown? Have you even thought of that or researched it at all? Perhaps not, you haven't answered.

You are the one stuck on open or closed.  To me, when the government is open, they are passing rules and legislation that will not benefit me at all, so it benefits me when they're closed.  I realize to government employees, they look at the closure as a paid vacation so money gets wasted either way at least with no onerous laws passed.  Please tell me how being "open" benefits me. I'm sure being open benefits YOU.

You praised the legislation so far in trump's term, didn't you?You liked the small changes in Obamacare, didn't you? You said the tax cuts gave you more money, didn't you? Or were those both "onerous" pieces of legislation"? If it stays "closed" long enough many suffer, government workers and others. It's bad for the country ....... or is it all about YOU ?

Yes Trump has done a pretty good job himself as far as I'm concerned and I don't like the changes in Obamacare.  Obamacare needs to "go away".  Don't worry, it won't stay closed long enough for even the Democrats to worry since they seem to be the most dependent on Government.  I don't think closing is bad for the country and it doesn't affect me one way or the other but I do realize it is bad for you, so I do hope it doesn't stay closed too long for your sake.

You on Medicare yet? 

Yes.

Millions upon millions of Americans are ( just as many Republicans as Democrats). You draw Social Security yet? 

Yes.

Millions upon millions of Americans do (both Dems and Repubs), including me, I am on both SS and Medicare but work part time as an Engineer. Do you have parents on SS and/or Medicare?  Is this the "dependent upon government" you speak of? Well I'm glad you at least have enough compassion for others that you "hope it doesn't stay closed too long".

I have been on these programs for some time and my parents have long been gone and these programs run without any government intervention. BTW, I paid dearly for these two OVER COSTLY PAID FOR programs and don't depend on either for existance.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 61

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Still stuck on opened and closed?  What is the cost of a government shutdown? Have you even thought of that or researched it at all? Perhaps not, you haven't answered.

You are the one stuck on open or closed.  To me, when the government is open, they are passing rules and legislation that will not benefit me at all, so it benefits me when they're closed.  I realize to government employees, they look at the closure as a paid vacation so money gets wasted either way at least with no onerous laws passed.  Please tell me how being "open" benefits me. I'm sure being open benefits YOU.

You praised the legislation so far in trump's term, didn't you?You liked the small changes in Obamacare, didn't you? You said the tax cuts gave you more money, didn't you? Or were those both "onerous" pieces of legislation"? If it stays "closed" long enough many suffer, government workers and others. It's bad for the country ....... or is it all about YOU ?

Yes Trump has done a pretty good job himself as far as I'm concerned and I don't like the changes in Obamacare.  Obamacare needs to "go away".  Don't worry, it won't stay closed long enough for even the Democrats to worry since they seem to be the most dependent on Government.  I don't think closing is bad for the country and it doesn't affect me one way or the other but I do realize it is bad for you, so I do hope it doesn't stay closed too long for your sake.

You on Medicare yet?  Millions upon millions of Americans are ( just as many Republicans as Democrats). You draw Social Security yet?  Millions upon millions of Americans do (both Dems and Repubs), including me, I am on both SS and Medicare but work part time as an Engineer. Do you have parents on SS and/or Medicare?  Is this the "dependent upon government" you speak of? Well I'm glad you at least have enough compassion for others that you "hope it doesn't stay closed too long".

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 61

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 61

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 61

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Oh my God. You really can't understand what closing the government does, do you? First, all those people will be told to go home for the weeks or months and then Congress will vote to pay them for that time. So, you get to pay for work you are not getting. 

Then, anyone required to work will not get a paycheck during that time. So, anyone living on the edge will have to quit and go elsewhere. When the government comes back, they will have to hire thousands of new staff, train them, and wait for them to become experienced. A huge waste. 

No passports will be processed  so if your company  planned to send the critical person overseas in a few weeks or months, they may get caught in the backlog. 

Income tax audits will stop and no tax help will be available. Leave it to the Republicans to stop our funding sources.  

Federal contractors will stop being paid and they will lay off their staff.  So, all those folks who keep the lights on are going to be looking for a new paycheck in the interim. They are also not covered by the retroactive pay reimbursement. 

Yeah. I can see why we never, ever, let Republicans run the country. They can't keep it open and don't understand why they should. 

Those who hate our Government and want to destroy it have no problem with periodically shutting it down to make people think they cannot rely on Government when in reality what no one can trust are REPUBLICANS.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors