From travel insurance to fraud protection, AARP has you covered. Take a closer look at your member benefits.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Whitehouse will get the shutdown it wanted.

Message 21 of 61

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

You did make a coupla good points - the Dems are far better than the Reps at presenting a united front and supporting their President and/or opposing "the other guy" (I guess it's that communal thing").  Yes, in his position as being responsible for border security, he is trying very hard to force Congress to do their job and support border security.

Question - when the Dems swoop in to save the day, will they build a fence instead of a wall?

I would expect the Democrats to do a few things differently. First, they would look at the facts. Illegal immigration from the south peaked in 2000 based on the number of apprehensions and estimates from several think tanks including the Pew center. So Trump is chasing a problem that may not exist.  

The Democrats will probably, again, ask the CBP agents what they need.  The difference here is that they will not edit the responses to their own bias as Trump did. Of the 902 vulnerabilities the agents noted when asked, less than 4 percent involved "wall" or "fencing". The one big issue that Trump did not bother to fund at all was tunnels and tunnel detection capability. 

Finally, the Democrats will be much more cynical than Trump and the Republicans were. Instead of paying the money up front and hoping the Mexican's reimburse us, they will invoice Mexico and wait until Trump finishes his negotiations with them before beginning construction of a wall. 

A great deal of assuming and conjecture in there. Bottom line - will they revert to their desire for a fence instead of a wall?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 22 of 61

@rk9152 wrote:

You did make a coupla good points - the Dems are far better than the Reps at presenting a united front and supporting their President and/or opposing "the other guy" (I guess it's that communal thing").  Yes, in his position as being responsible for border security, he is trying very hard to force Congress to do their job and support border security.

Question - when the Dems swoop in to save the day, will they build a fence instead of a wall?

I would expect the Democrats to do a few things differently. First, they would look at the facts. Illegal immigration from the south peaked in 2000 based on the number of apprehensions and estimates from several think tanks including the Pew center. So Trump is chasing a problem that may not exist.  

The Democrats will probably, again, ask the CBP agents what they need.  The difference here is that they will not edit the responses to their own bias as Trump did. Of the 902 vulnerabilities the agents noted when asked, less than 4 percent involved "wall" or "fencing". The one big issue that Trump did not bother to fund at all was tunnels and tunnel detection capability. 

Finally, the Democrats will be much more cynical than Trump and the Republicans were. Instead of paying the money up front and hoping the Mexican's reimburse us, they will invoice Mexico and wait until Trump finishes his negotiations with them before beginning construction of a wall. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 23 of 61

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

It is simple. If you own a McDonald's and the manager you hire can't keep it open, you fire the manager.  

Did you forget the Congress in this?

Last time I looked, both the Congress and the President reported to the American people They would be the owner's of the McDonald's in my analogy. Looks to me like they already fired the Congress folks who's contracts had expired. Next up, a bunch more in Congress and the manager (president). I can't imaging anyone asking Trump to run any organization after his contract is up in 2020.Of course, then he goes back to his real full time job. Trying to stay out of jail. God knows no one will let him run a McDonald's with his track record. 

Last time you looked the Congress passes the budget (or CR). The President is responsible for border security. Your point?

Oh, sorry you missed it.  My point was that Trump can not seem to make ANY deals while in the White House and the Republicans can't figure out how to govern.  Trump will not sign a bill without the wall funding Mexico promised us (right?) so the party in power (Republicans) will not be able to keep the lights on in government.  The Democrats will swoop in next year and "save the day" and the American people will see that Trump could not run a McDonald's much less any business not built by  his father and handed to him. 

I will now open the floor for questions. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 24 of 61

@rk9152 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

It is simple. If you own a McDonald's and the manager you hire can't keep it open, you fire the manager.  

Last time I looked, both the Congress and the President reported to the American people They would be the owner's of the McDonald's in my analogy. Looks to me like they already fired the Congress folks who's contracts had expired. Next up, a bunch more in Congress and the manager (president). I can't imaging anyone asking Trump to run any organization after his contract is up in 2020.Of course, then he goes back to his real full time job. Trying to stay out of jail. God knows no one will let him run a McDonald's with his track record. 

Last time you looked the Congress passes the budget (or CR). The President is responsible for border security. Your point?

Oh, sorry you missed it.  My point was that Trump can not seem to make ANY deals while in the White House and the Republicans can't figure out how to govern.  Trump will not sign a bill without the wall funding Mexico promised us (right?) so the party in power (Republicans) will not be able to keep the lights on in government.  The Democrats will swoop in next year and "save the day" and the American people will see that Trump could not run a McDonald's much less any business not built by  his father and handed to him. 

I will now open the floor for questions. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 25 of 61

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 26 of 61

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Going to be GREAT!, and his supporters will CHEER!!

But the Vets who don't get the money for their tuition or rent, not such a cheerful event.

And the retiree who doesn't get their SS check

And the doctor who doesn't get paid for treating his Medicare/triCare patients

And the people who get laid off because none of those gov't workers or retirees or vets has any money to spend

And the contractors who already spent THEIR money to do work for the Government who now have to take out short term loans to pay THEIR bills

But Republicans hate all those people because around half of them don't make enough to pay Federal Income Tax, so GOPers will not care what happens to them.

But THIS TIME I think those people, many who vote Republican, will remember who caused their discomfort, and in November they will see he won't be there to do it again in January.

No one is ever hurt by a shutdown. Essential government services are continued. The above is the usual trash talk the left puts out everytime this comes up. The only thing that changes is which part of government to blame - and that depends on the Party in the WH.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 27 of 61

@rk9152 wrote:

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 28 of 61

So glad this Buffoon in the Whitehouse & the GOP Majority controlled Lemmings in Congress are going to Shut Down the Government in December B4 the Democrats take over the House in January

Trump is on Video saying he's going to proudly own shutting down the Government & the GOP Majority in Congress is Mute

Americans especially those in the Trump Cukt need to feel a little pain for the Hurt they've caused our Country by First electing this Stooge & now continuing to support him

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 29 of 61

Going to be GREAT!, and his supporters will CHEER!!

But the Vets who don't get the money for their tuition or rent, not such a cheerful event.

And the retiree who doesn't get their SS check

And the doctor who doesn't get paid for treating his Medicare/triCare patients

And the people who get laid off because none of those gov't workers or retirees or vets has any money to spend

And the contractors who already spent THEIR money to do work for the Government who now have to take out short term loans to pay THEIR bills

But Republicans hate all those people because around half of them don't make enough to pay Federal Income Tax, so GOPers will not care what happens to them.

But THIS TIME I think those people, many who vote Republican, will remember who caused their discomfort, and in November they will see he won't be there to do it again in January.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 30 of 61

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Trump is causing the shutdown and says he will own it. Funny how trump supporters seem to support a shutdown as long as trump wants it.

Who cares if it shuts down? Do you?

Oh my God. You really can't understand what closing the government does, do you? First, all those people will be told to go home for the weeks or months and then Congress will vote to pay them for that time. So, you get to pay for work you are not getting. 

Then, anyone required to work will not get a paycheck during that time. So, anyone living on the edge will have to quit and go elsewhere. When the government comes back, they will have to hire thousands of new staff, train them, and wait for them to become experienced. A huge waste. 

No passports will be processed  so if your company  planned to send the critical person overseas in a few weeks or months, they may get caught in the backlog. 

Income tax audits will stop and no tax help will be available. Leave it to the Republicans to stop our funding sources.  

Federal contractors will stop being paid and they will lay off their staff.  So, all those folks who keep the lights on are going to be looking for a new paycheck in the interim. They are also not covered by the retroactive pay reimbursement. 

Yeah. I can see why we never, ever, let Republicans run the country. They can't keep it open and don't understand why they should. 

Those who hate our Government and want to destroy it have no problem with periodically shutting it down to make people think they cannot rely on Government when in reality what no one can trust are REPUBLICANS.

I recall the President mentioning border security in relation to the possibility of a shut down. When did he say he hates the government? Or is that like Delta (made up).

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors