Prevention is the best medicine when it comes to avoiding surprise medical bills! Learn more.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Whitehouse will get the shutdown it wanted.

Message 11 of 61

@rk9152 wrote:

@ChasKy53 wrote:

Trump is causing the shutdown and says he will own it. Funny how trump supporters seem to support a shutdown as long as trump wants it.

Who supports a shutdown?? And who wants it??

The answer to both your questions is the same - Trump.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 61

With a government shutdown looming, White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said Tuesday that President Trump will look for other funding for his border wall — rather than insisting Congress include it in budget bills.

Trump's worried about the economy, trade talks and the stock market. He knows he doesn't need a government shutdown at this time. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 61

@Olderscout66 wrote:

I would hope no one in the House or Senate will vote to make our border resemble the one North Korea has with South Korea. All we need are a few Republicans to grow a spine and pass a budget over the toadPOTUS veto.

If not, then we need strong Democrats to keep the Government closed so nitwits on the Right understand what Government provides - things like

Veterans GI Bill payments

Veterans pensions

Veterans health care

Border security

Airport Security

Student loans and grants

Government contracts

and when they get to that last one, we'll see how the GOP explains the lack of a paycheck to the majority of people "working for the Government" thru a private contractor who will NOT get the back pay for the days Republicans took from them.

That sounds like another "DL moved to GA for tax breaks" - totally false.

All the essential services mentioned will be provided.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 61

@Richva wrote:

@ManicProgressive wrote:

My husband will be working without pay. He’s essential, or whatever they call it.

But you know who gets hurt here in DC? Small businesses, restaurants, Uber, dry cleaners, convenience stores, gas stations, etc., because it will be a ghost town, and nobody will be buying what they usually buy. I mention them because I know many here hate government workers. Here are private sector people who will suffer.

My contractor friends eventually get paid. Usually. Not a guarantee. But lower wage contractors like cleaning staff won’t get paid back.

The average American household can go 2 paychecks without an economic collapse. Trump is setting up a situation where you have to work but can't get paid.  MAGA, my tookus. 

Who do  you think will not be paid?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 61

@ManicProgressive wrote:

My husband will be working without pay. He’s essential, or whatever they call it.

But you know who gets hurt here in DC? Small businesses, restaurants, Uber, dry cleaners, convenience stores, gas stations, etc., because it will be a ghost town, and nobody will be buying what they usually buy. I mention them because I know many here hate government workers. Here are private sector people who will suffer.

My contractor friends eventually get paid. Usually. Not a guarantee. But lower wage contractors like cleaning staff won’t get paid back.

I worked through shutdowns and never worked without pay. I got shafted in the sense that those considered non-essential didn't work, but still got paid.

So, have no fear - you will be able to take Uber to do your shopping.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 61

@Richva wrote:

@rk9152 wrote:

A great deal of assuming and conjecture in there. Bottom line - will they revert to their desire for a fence instead of a wall?

What do the studies say would be the best way to deal with the immigration issue?  Maybe a more comprehensive and thought out policy or getting Mexico to pay for a wall all across the shared border? 

That's a diversion. Prominent Dems supported a border fence, they oppose a border wall. So, when they come to power can we ecpect to see a border fence?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 61

I would hope no one in the House or Senate will vote to make our border resemble the one North Korea has with South Korea. All we need are a few Republicans to grow a spine and pass a budget over the toadPOTUS veto.

If not, then we need strong Democrats to keep the Government closed so nitwits on the Right understand what Government provides - things like

Veterans GI Bill payments

Veterans pensions

Veterans health care

Border security

Airport Security

Student loans and grants

Government contracts

and when they get to that last one, we'll see how the GOP explains the lack of a paycheck to the majority of people "working for the Government" thru a private contractor who will NOT get the back pay for the days Republicans took from them.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 61

@ManicProgressive wrote:

The average American household can go 2 paychecks without an economic collapse. Trump is setting up a situation where you have to work but can't get paid.  MAGA, my tookus. 

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 61

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 61

@rk9152 wrote:

A great deal of assuming and conjecture in there. Bottom line - will they revert to their desire for a fence instead of a wall?

What do the studies say would be the best way to deal with the immigration issue?  Maybe a more comprehensive and thought out policy or getting Mexico to pay for a wall all across the shared border? 

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have a question about AARP membership or benefits? Ask it in the AARP Help Membership forum, Benefits & Discounts forum, or General forum.

multiple white question marks with center red question mark

Top Authors