Take the AARP Smart Driver course and you could save on auto insurance! Sign up today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: White Man Shoots Self, Blames Black Man - Racist?

Message 11 of 21

@jims730656 wrote:

@nyadrn wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

//

He could be either, neither or both but mainly just a stupid guy.

In this bird's case, I think calling him stupid is just being kind.  I went over this in my mind a few times and still can't understand how he did that.  Shooting himself in the foot, or the leg?  Sure.  In the arm, hand or even the buitt?  It's happened.  But in the SHOULDER?

One thing is for sure,  even if the gun was legal and properly registered, he STILL had no business owning it!

Well apparently the one mostly at risk is him and  having a gun is bad for his health.  The shooting was stupid but blaming it on a black gunman was cowardly and terrible.  

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 21

@nyadrn wrote:

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

In this bird's case, I think calling him stupid is just being kind.  I went over this in my mind a few times and still can't understand how he did that.  Shooting himself in the foot, or the leg?  Sure.  In the arm, hand or even the buitt?  It's happened.  But in the SHOULDER?

One thing is for sure,  even if the gun was legal and properly registered, he STILL had no business owning it!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 21

@Centristsin2010 wrote:

Life's a Journey, not a Destination" Aerosmith
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 21

@BigLib wrote:

By that logic, since ISIS makes up such a small percentage of followers of the Islamic faith, that if we just ignore them, they will go away. Of course, if the white supremacists start hanging people from trees again, instead of just spray painting NI**ER on black peoples' garage doors, shooting black people as they pray in their church, or shooting themselves and blaming it on an imaginary black man, we'll have to rethink that strategy.

I have to disagree for the most part, and ISIS is an entirely different subject.  Not to get into detail, Islamic terrorism is much our OWN fault as it is theirs.  These people never had a big problem with the US before we went over there, destabilizing their governments, exploiting their own natural resources and helping to install brutal, repressive dictators favorable to us.  We made them angry and since they can't fight us with an army, they resort to terrorism (sometimes known as "the poor man's atomic bomb").

But again, and away from the ISIS subject, the Media plays a large role in overplaying the negative events in this country. Where it used to be a matter of a single criminal killing people it was covered by the local media and most of the country never heard of it.  But now, the 24/7 news cycle keeps repeating to a national audience what should be seen as a local event and making people think it's a national trend.  That of course make many people who are far away from the actual event to feel they have to mobilize to fight a threat much bigger than what they think it is and the whole thing escalates to the point where it BECOMES a national issue.  Then the national attention brings out all the borderline psychos who wouldn't have even heard of these things.  And the upshot is people start to believe only violence can be countered by MORE violence, ad then the whole country begins to fall apart.

That anger and frustration is a POLITICAL as much as a racial issue too, and it's fueled by the national Media attention..  Where many liberals are saying Republicans are behind the racial violence, those same people ignore the fact that a Bernie Sanders supporter shot up that Republican softball game in Washington.  This madness cuts across all political and societal lines and the Media just makes it worse.  Our own national Media is manipulating the people just as much as the politicians are.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 21

@jims730656 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

Don't need to be a sworn-in Klansman to support and promote the hate-filled KKK platform. And to think that only 10,000 people or less in this country do align themselves with the hate-filled KKK platform, proves the media isn't doing its job.

The Media rarely "does its job" these days, but that means you have to be skeptical of the things they say that you AGREE with as well as what you don't.

But my numbers are not from the mainstream Media anyway.  In fact, a little further investigation reveals my original statement was inaccurate and actually  OVER-estimated.

One source, The Southern Poverty Law Center (hardly Klan supporters) even estimate their rolls LOWER than my number of 10,000.  They say "Today, the Center estimates that there are between 5,000 and 8,000 Klan members,"

And they report that in 2010 the Klan had about 221 groups in the US and in 2016 that number was down to 130.

Also, the Anti Defamation League (another Klan opponent) puts their numbers even lower than the SPLC.US News (a very old nonpartisan outfit) reports "Nationwide, there are still an estimated 3,000 Klan members and unaffiliated people who "identify with Klan ideology," according to the ADL."

I go by the numbers and not broad-brushing  assumptions, and I stand by my belief that the Media is actually a recruiting tool that put the KKK out in front of the people, rather than hidden in the shadows where they belong.

The MSM's agenda is sensationalism and not information.

It's a very big country and you will always have detestable, socially unacceptable groups out there.  That's the price we pay for a free society and we do not need the Media and the Internet paying ATTENTION to these anti-social cretins and making people think there are Klan members/supporters on every block.

fear mongering is wrong, no matter what side it comes from.

By that logic, since ISIS makes up such a small percentage of followers of the Islamic faith, that if we just ignore them, they will go away. Of course, if the white supremacists start hanging people from trees again, instead of just spray painting NI**ER on black peoples' garage doors, shooting black people as they pray in their church, or shooting themselves and blaming it on an imaginary black man, we'll have to rethink that strategy.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 21

@BigLib wrote:

Don't need to be a sworn-in Klansman to support and promote the hate-filled KKK platform. And to think that only 10,000 people or less in this country do align themselves with the hate-filled KKK platform, proves the media isn't doing its job.

The Media rarely "does its job" these days, but that means you have to be skeptical of the things they say that you AGREE with as well as what you don't.

But my numbers are not from the mainstream Media anyway.  In fact, a little further investigation reveals my original statement was inaccurate and actually  OVER-estimated.

One source, The Southern Poverty Law Center (hardly Klan supporters) even estimate their rolls LOWER than my number of 10,000.  They say "Today, the Center estimates that there are between 5,000 and 8,000 Klan members,"

And they report that in 2010 the Klan had about 221 groups in the US and in 2016 that number was down to 130.

Also, the Anti Defamation League (another Klan opponent) puts their numbers even lower than the SPLC.US News (a very old nonpartisan outfit) reports "Nationwide, there are still an estimated 3,000 Klan members and unaffiliated people who "identify with Klan ideology," according to the ADL."

I go by the numbers and not broad-brushing  assumptions, and I stand by my belief that the Media is actually a recruiting tool that put the KKK out in front of the people, rather than hidden in the shadows where they belong.

The MSM's agenda is sensationalism and not information.

It's a very big country and you will always have detestable, socially unacceptable groups out there.  That's the price we pay for a free society and we do not need the Media and the Internet paying ATTENTION to these anti-social cretins and making people think there are Klan members/supporters on every block.

fear mongering is wrong, no matter what side it comes from.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 21

@jims730656 wrote:

@alferdpacker wrote:

Racist whites have been blaming blacks - and getting away with it before the civil war - long before "the media" became a tool of racist whites...

If it reinforces a common prejudice that's all too commonly accepted in the ranks of the stupid...

True, but I believe the Media these days has indirectly given them the national attention they wanted.  Look at the Klan.  These days a lot of people are almost seeing Klansmen under their beds, but their actual numbers are less than 10,000 people (out of a population of over 323 MILLION).  If we didn't HEAR so much about them they wouldn't be so well-known.  And this excessive coverage could also be a recruiting tool for nitwits who barely knew they existed.

But I want to know the answer to the REAL question.  How the hell could this idiot shoot HIMSELF in the shoulder??

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 21

@alferdpacker wrote:

Racist whites have been blaming blacks - and getting away with it before the civil war - long before "the media" became a tool of racist whites...

If it reinforces a common prejudice that's all too commonly accepted in the ranks of the stupid...

True, but I believe the Media these days has indirectly given them the national attention they wanted.  Look at the Klan.  These days a lot of people are almost seeing Klansmen under their beds, but their actual numbers are less than 10,000 people (out of a population of over 323 MILLION).  If we didn't HEAR so much about them they wouldn't be so well-known.  And this excessive coverage could also be a recruiting tool for nitwits who barely knew they existed.

But I want to know the answer to the REAL question.  How the hell could this idiot shoot HIMSELF in the shoulder??

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 21

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 21

Racist?  Of COURSE it's racist.  I think this guy got his cue from the fear some whites have for black people in general (note that I said SOME).

Part of that blame I would say rests with the Media (more local media than national) for seeming to focus more on black suspects in crimes than whites.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Have you taken a memorable trip to a destination others should know about? Post a Trip Report

city skyline captured on tablet

Top Authors