Refresh your driving skills with the AARP Smart Driver online course! Use promo code THANKS to save 25 percent.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: White Man Shoots Self, Blames Black Man - Racist?

Message 1 of 21

@rc8149 wrote:

Sorry that I not always up to date on what goes on.

I just read this story and to me it's just plain racism.

This goes for all walks of life no matter what color

our skins are...Does it seem that blaming the other

race, nationality, other preferences, etc, helps make

the story sound real.  This is not what we need to

hear now.  Times are tough and filled with to much

hatred.  I believe a story like this could have caused

a race riot at St.Kates.  Just what we need........

More violence at a school.  Brent should be held in

jail for a long time.  And others that follow his lead.

And I have the same question.   How the  ...... did he

shoot himself in the sholder.    STUPID  I agree ! ! ! !

PEACE

Scratching himself????

Ya made several good points....thanks for contributing.....

Do you remember this quaint story????

A LOOK BACK AT THE SUSAN SMITH CASE, NEARLY 22 YEARS AFTER THE SOUTH CAROLINA MOM KILLED HER 2 YOUNG...

Blame the black guy has been a staple in white Conservative culture for decades......

"FAKE 45 #illegitimate" read a sign at the Woman's March in Washington DC, January 21, 2017.
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 2 of 21

Sorry that I not always up to date on what goes on.

I just read this story and to me it's just plain racism.

This goes for all walks of life no matter what color

our skins are...Does it seem that blaming the other

race, nationality, other preferences, etc, helps make

the story sound real.  This is not what we need to

hear now.  Times are tough and filled with to much

hatred.  I believe a story like this could have caused

a race riot at St.Kates.  Just what we need........

More violence at a school.  Brent should be held in

jail for a long time.  And others that follow his lead.

And I have the same question.   How the  ...... did he

shoot himself in the sholder.    STUPID  I agree ! ! ! !

PEACE

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 3 of 21

This topic makes me long for "the good old days" when, regardless of political leaning, people could all agree that there are jerks out there - and this guy obviously qualifies.

Now everything has to be about racism, alt-right, Nazis, fascists, etc.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 4 of 21

@ChasKy53 wrote:

This sounds like something a couple of Extreme Right Wing posters would possibly do !!

And this from a poster who whines about being "attacked".

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 5 of 21

@jims730656 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

"Islamic terrorism" -- that confirms what I'd suspected.

In so far as "overplaying negative events," I don't think 20 dead babies at an elementary school in Connecticut is a local-only news item. What it did do was make a nation aware (it BECAME a national issue) that people who shouldn't have guns, have guns, and they wanted the laws changed to correct it. The Newtown shooting wasn't countered with violence, but it was met with inaction in DC.

Dr. George Tiller's murderer, Bill Gwantney's murderer, Jim Adkisson shooting up a church in Tennessee because of the "liberals," right wing anarchists like Tim McVey that get ticked at Clinton for going after a child rapist, so he blows up kids to make his point -- gotta wonder if any of it could be toned down if people like Nugent stopped wishing Democratic politicians would suck his machine gun, or if a person wishing to be president wouldn't claim he could shoot a person in cold blood, and not lose a single voter.

And you don't suppose these incidents you're cherry-picking have anything to do with the Media's saturation 'reporting' of the events that drove these people to commit horrific acts?  You don't believe having this 'news' pounded into  their heads every waking hour has anything to do with these psychotic overreactions?

In any case, you have consistently ignored the point of my comments (the Media's culpability) so I think we're done here.

I didn't "cherry pick" anything. You singled out "liberals" when you mentioned the Republican baseball shooting to make your point, I simply countered with mentioning some of the targeted right-wing violence at Democrats.

In any event, I don't think Adam Lanza was a big news consumer. His act did unite a nation, and the politicians failed to act.

Adkisson couldn't have been watching too much news either, because he was consumed with listening to Michael "Savage" Weiner. Weiner isn't news media - he's a bigot with a microphone. But "Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder" sure makes for an interesting book title, doesn't it. In fact, Adkisson espoused many of the same tenets you've repeated here -- primarily, the media is ruining and is to blame for everything bad in America (Adkisson also blamed the Democrats).

As far as the commercials shown during news broadcasts, I see just as many ads encouraging people to get involved with their communities and volunteer opportunities, as I do for ads for hamburgers and toilet cleaning products. Instead of Adkisson blaming Democrats for not finding a job, he should have volunteered to walk a dog from a shelter. I've seen many volunteers end up with jobs they'd never considered before.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 6 of 21

@alferdpacker wrote:

Nope - not at all.

Sane, stable, logical and rational people are not influenced by media coverage to grab their gun and start shooting...

Gotta be waaayy more than "half a bubble off plumb" to start...

I agree that a few are just marginalized unstable loons from the start.  But I believe most of the killers these days were fairly normal before they were pushed over the edge, and the Media is often providing the push.  I think a lot of these people, whatever age they are, are like cranky old men who watch Fox or MSNBC all day and gripe about the world to anyone who will listen.  But they don't actually  DO anything about it.  But that's changing and the proliferation of 24 hour 'news' channels that specialize in sensationalism and opinion more than factual information seems to have been growing at the same rate as the people who resort to violence.

These channels depend on ratings and the best way to get ratings is to fire up the viewers so they sit through the commercials.  In effect they are saying "things are getting worse and there's nothing you can do about it.  We'll tell you all about it right after these messages".  Then they spend a minute or two explaining the problem followed by 20 minutes of analysis by "experts" whose most often repeated phrase is "I think...".

And the world DOES seem to be going to hell and there IS nothing the individual  can do about it.  And then when they have this sensationalism shoved down their throats, all that manipulated anger and helplessness means there's a good chance some of them will crack.

Most people really don't seem to really be 'sane, stable, logical and rational' when they can so easily be pushed into antisocial acts.  There is just too much evidence of a history of that.

The most obvious examples would be Kristallnacht in Germany, the treatment of Japanses and German AMERICANS in their own country and the treatment of Muslim Americans (and people who lust LOOKED like Muslims) after 9/11.

A lesser example would be found on Facebook, where someone posts a completely false story from some partisan blog or click-bait website and then dozens of the comments that follow express anger, outrage and blind hatred, but no desire to see if the story was true in the first place.

And I would say that most of the people involved in the abovementioned incidents were seen as good, rational etc people before they succumbed to mob mentality.

Look at the topic this very thread is based on.  Some idiot shoots himself and blames a black man.  Was any black man arrested for it?  Did the cops round up all the black men in the area?  Did ANYTHING happen other than the jerk was quickly found out to be a liar?

No.  Nothing happened and it was essentially no more than if some kid blamed another kid for something bad he had done himself.  A non-story, but look at the reactions on this thread, and others like it.

It was essentially a local story about some clown who blames something on a made-up person to save his own ass.  But now it's a NATIONAL story thanks to the media and no one is actually questioning the relevance of this story as it applies to the very real problem of racism in America.

The majority of people are basically sheep, and they are led by the Media.  Our own elections in the last few decades should prove that.  These elections are won or lost by the amount of TV advertising a candidate can afford and statistically, almost every single federal election is won by the one with the most money.  That illustrates the power and influence of the Media.

Anyway, as I said earlier, I'm done with this thread.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 7 of 21

@jims730656 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

In so far as "overplaying negative events," I don't think 20 dead babies at an elementary school in Connecticut is a local-only news item. What it did do was make a nation aware (it BECAME a national issue) that people who shouldn't have guns, have guns, and they wanted the laws changed to correct it. The Newtown shooting wasn't countered with violence, but it was met with inaction in DC.

Dr. George Tiller's murderer, Bill Gwantney's murderer, Jim Adkisson shooting up a church in Tennessee because of the "liberals," right wing anarchists like Tim McVey that get ticked at Clinton for going after a child rapist, so he blows up kids to make his point -- gotta wonder if any of it could be toned down if people like Nugent stopped wishing Democratic politicians would suck his machine gun, or if a person wishing to be president wouldn't claim he could shoot a person in cold blood, and not lose a single voter.

And you don't suppose these incidents you're cherry-picking have anything to do with the Media's saturation 'reporting' of the events that drove these people to commit horrific acts?  You don't believe having this 'news' pounded into  their heads every waking hour has anything to do with these psychotic overreactions?

In any case, you have consistently ignored the point of my comments (the Media's culpability) so I think we're done here.

Nope - not at all.

Sane, stable, logical and rational people are not influenced by media coverage to grab their gun and start shooting...

Gotta be waaayy more than "half a bubble off plumb" to start...

44>dolt45
Kudos
Views
Frequent Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 8 of 21

@BigLib wrote:

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 9 of 21

This sounds like something a couple of Extreme Right Wing posters would possibly do !!

"The only thing man learns from history is man learns nothing from history"
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 10 of 21

@jims730656 wrote:

@BigLib wrote:

By that logic, since ISIS makes up such a small percentage of followers of the Islamic faith, that if we just ignore them, they will go away. Of course, if the white supremacists start hanging people from trees again, instead of just spray painting NI**ER on black peoples' garage doors, shooting black people as they pray in their church, or shooting themselves and blaming it on an imaginary black man, we'll have to rethink that strategy.

I have to disagree for the most part, and ISIS is an entirely different subject.  Not to get into detail, Islamic terrorism is much our OWN fault as it is theirs.  These people never had a big problem with the US before we went over there, destabilizing their governments, exploiting their own natural resources and helping to install brutal, repressive dictators favorable to us.  We made them angry and since they can't fight us with an army, they resort to terrorism (sometimes known as "the poor man's atomic bomb").

But again, and away from the ISIS subject, the Media plays a large role in overplaying the negative events in this country. Where it used to be a matter of a single criminal killing people it was covered by the local media and most of the country never heard of it.  But now, the 24/7 news cycle keeps repeating to a national audience what should be seen as a local event and making people think it's a national trend.  That of course make many people who are far away from the actual event to feel they have to mobilize to fight a threat much bigger than what they think it is and the whole thing escalates to the point where it BECOMES a national issue.  Then the national attention brings out all the borderline psychos who wouldn't have even heard of these things.  And the upshot is people start to believe only violence can be countered by MORE violence, ad then the whole country begins to fall apart.

That anger and frustration is a POLITICAL as much as a racial issue too, and it's fueled by the national Media attention..  Where many liberals are saying Republicans are behind the racial violence, those same people ignore the fact that a Bernie Sanders supporter shot up that Republican softball game in Washington.  This madness cuts across all political and societal lines and the Media just makes it worse.  Our own national Media is manipulating the people just as much as the politicians are.

http://www.politifact.com/personalities/donald-trump/statements/byruling/false/ (11 pages of lies and growing)
Kudos
Views