Getting ready to enroll in Medicare? AARP’s Medicare Made Easy has the resources you need to help you make the right choices.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: White House aims for Thursday signing of religious liberty executive order

Message 11 of 67

@rker321 wrote:

@myexper wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

Rker-it is the 1st amendment to the constitution.

Ok, now I am really confused.  My understanding is. that there is nothing in the First Ammendment that says a word about Separation of church and State, and it all started by Jefferson and the quote that you posted.
am I wrong?

Of course there is nothing that says a word about separation between church and state, it is just an assumption based on the First Amendment.

Nope .... it was the words of Jefferson and reinforced by the United States Supreme Court in 1878!

Yes, and the Supreme Court has to decide on the merits of the case presented to them each and every time that the issue of Separation of Church and State is infront of the court 
That is why there are lots of precedents to affirm that. 

My comment addressed the fallacy that the 'Separation of Church and State' was merely an assumption when in fact, it is a Constitutional requirement.

DUMP TRUMP AND DITCH MITCH TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!
Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 67

@rker321 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

Ok, now I am really confused.  My understanding is. that there is nothing in the First Ammendment that says a word about Separation of church and State, and it all started by Jefferson and the quote that you posted.
am I wrong?

The words became implicit by the First Amendment when the Supreme Court upheld the words of Jefferson.

"Separation of Church and State" is thus a Constitutional mandate!

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 67

@myexper wrote:

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

am I wrong?

Of course there is nothing that says a word about separation between church and state, it is just an assumption based on the First Amendment.

Nope .... it was the words of Jefferson and reinforced by the United States Supreme Court in 1878!

Yes, and the Supreme Court has to decide on the merits of the case presented to them each and every time that the issue of Separation of Church and State is infront of the court 
That is why there are lots of precedents to affirm that. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 67

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@rker321 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

am I wrong?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 67

@rker321 wrote:

@pc6063 wrote:

am I wrong?

Of course there is nothing that says a word about separation between church and state, it is just an assumption based on the First Amendment.  Nor does the President have the authority to impose separation.  The only ones who could deside the meaning of the Constitution's intent is the Supreme Court.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 67

@pc6063 wrote:

am I wrong?

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 67

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 67

@pc6063 wrote:

rker--First amendment--"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of RELIGION, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF,"

The "separation of church and state" is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jeffersin, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper.

Jefferson wrote

"I comtemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole  American people which delcared that their legislature should, 'make no law respectinan establishmeny of religion, or prohibiting the ecercise thereof' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.

There are also many court cases which have dealt with this..

Isn't that what I said? Separation of church and State does not appear anywhere in the Constitution. but yes the Supreme court has dealt with cases regarding the separation of Church and State. 
Unfortunately each case has to be looked on its merits but there are enough precedent that will sway the court in the separation of Church and State.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 67

rker--First amendment--"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of RELIGION, OR PROHIBITING THE FREE EXERCISE THEREOF,"

The "separation of church and state" is generally traced to a January 1, 1802 letter by Thomas Jeffersin, addressed to the Danbury Baptist Association in Connecticut, and published in a Massachusetts newspaper.

Jefferson wrote

"I comtemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole  American people which delcared that their legislature should, 'make no law respectinan establishmeny of religion, or prohibiting the ecercise thereof' thus building a wall of separation between Church and State.

There are also many court cases which have dealt with this..

Gee, I miss having a real President!!
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 67

@pc6063 wrote:

Hey Alferd Packer--I do wish that Trump and those who think this latest wack job EO is something debatable, would learn what's in the Constitution.

With all the diversions about Obama's church, and all the denials of whatever isn't to one's liking, the bottom line is that the Constitution of the United States calls for the SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE. THIS IS JUST ANOTHER UNCONSTITUTIONAL PIECE OF GARBAGE THAT SOME FEDERAL JUDGE, WHO, I'M SURE HAS BETTER THINGS TO DO, WILL HAVE TO BLOCK.

Sure be nice if Trump would stop wasting everybody's time and money.  Oh wait, he really doesn't care about anybody else's money, does he?

I am afraid that I will have to disagree with you on this one, as much as I wish that it was true.

In the First Ammendment there is nothing that says a word about  Churcn and State. I believe that it was Jefferson that mentioned something about  Church and State.

But there are quite a bit of precedents in the Supreme Court in which they have allowed cases in which the Separation of church and State was an issue. and that is what I believe that it will provide a strong poing in all of this.

Kudos
Views