Silver Conversationalist

White House Ended Ban on Some Gun Silencer Sales

WASHINGTON — Congressional Democrats said on Tuesday that they were investigating the Trump administration’s decision to lift a ban on firearm silencer sales to foreign private buyers that had been enacted to prevent the devices from being used against American troops.

Democrats are focusing in part on the involvement of Michael B. Williams, a White House lawyer who had worked for two years for a trade group representing silencer manufacturers that had lobbied to overturn the ban. The administration lifted the ban this month, paving the way for as much as $250 million a year in possible new foreign sales for companies that Mr. Williams had championed as general counsel of the American Suppressor Association.

Representative Stephen F. Lynch, Democrat of Massachusetts and chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee’s subcommittee on national security issues, sent a letter Tuesday to the White House budget office requesting documents related to the move, and Mr. Williams’s role in pushing it.

“The overseas sale of U.S. defense articles, especially when those weapons could endanger the safety and security of our men and women in uniform, cannot and should not be influenced by personal financial or political interests,” Mr. Lynch wrote.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/28/us/politics/gun-silencers-democrats-trump.html

Here was a crooked man and he had a crooked smile
He had a crooked sixpence and he walked a crooked mile.
He had a crooked cat and a crooked little mouse,
They all lived together in a crooked little house.

Well this crooked little man and his crooked little smile
He took his crooked sixpence and he walked a crooked mile.
He bought some crooked nails and a crooked little bat
And he tried to fix his roof with a rat-tat-tat-tat-tat
Traditional

Trump is an aperture in the fundament.
Silver Conversationalist

What use would an honest citizen have for a silencer?

Honored Social Butterfly

What use would an honest citizen have for a silencer?

Never heard of "ear protection" when shooting?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

I already said why I use it.

Libs are nuttier than squirrel poop
0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@fishslayer - You use it because you WANT to - no other reason, and like lots of stuff people WANT for no good reason,  the rest of us WANT to reduce the number of needless deaths made possible by the NRAGOP.

0 Kudos
Silver Conversationalist

Much as some people like to stretch the 2nd Amendment it doesn't cover silencers. What use would an honest citizen have for a silencer?

Honored Social Butterfly

I have a suppressor and I'm not dishonest. I have a suppressor and I'm not shooting innocent people. I have a suppressor and  I'm not a white supremacist. 

More bias projection and identity politics. All of y'all ASSUMPTIONS are wrong, and the back round checks are substantial.  I posted the application so y'all could see how through the background checks are to get  suppressors. 

Ear muffs are not practical in every application, and I prefer ear plugs... anywho. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

There are many legitimate uses for plastic explosives and det cord, BUT if you're not in a business dealing in those legitimate uses, you can't get it legally.

THAT is the level of restriction we need on military grade weapons and silencers. There being no such commercial uses of such weapons and silencers, no one should be able to acquire them legally, and those doing it illegally should go away for a VERY long time. To make sure that happens, we should offer a $5,000 bounty payable to anyone who turns in a scofflaw.

I'm sure all AARP members are law abiding citizens, but background checks ONLY detect people who have already committed a crime, not those new to the terrorist game, like Timmy McVeigh and Terry Nichols.

Background checks are worthless in preventing domestic terrorism. Only the removal of the terroritst tools from the marketplace will make a difference.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 

Is Orwell's book '1984' your play book?

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@fishslayer - From your insult, I'd say you never read  Orwell's 1984. Allow me to correct that, shall we say "shortfall",  in your literary background: The book is a story of RESISTANCE to a dystopian future very like the one being pursued by the Republican Party since at least the 1980's. The MONIED elite control the society with "fake news" very like Fox and H8Radio with lines like "The best books are those that tell you what you know already." and the ending where the government's incessant LIES and falsification of actual events (think Benghazi and tRumps inaugural crowds) have finally destroyed the hero's ability to think for himself - a good summary of GOP dogma today.

So while it's not my "playbook", I share the views of the author on many things. Like the fact what happened in Russia 1917-1991 which had NOTHING to do with "communism" and everything to do with minority rule dictatorship.

Honored Social Butterfly

@Olderscout66 

I find the loathsome comments part and parcel of how liberals condemn everything and everything through a political prism. You know zilch about suppressors and less about Americans exercising their second amendment right to own one.  However the platform of the ignorant (demoncrats) still manage to create a false narrative to promote a hateful agenda espoused by dems.

“War is Peace,” “Freedom is Slavery,” and “Ignorance is Strength.”  This is the mindset true conservative/libertarian Americans must OVERCOME each and every day. 

This will put it in perspective for you. Enjoy

https://www.faithandfreedom.com/america-s-orwellian-liberalism/

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

The slaughter of innocents in Las Vegas was made possible by the silencer the killer used to keep the crowd from knowing it was under deadly attack.We have no idea how many unsolved homicides involved using a silencer to conceal the act until the body was discovered.

It could not have happened on the scale it did if silencers were not available - wearing ear protection would not have kept the attack hidden until a dozen had been shot.

The infantile I WANT IT mantra is insignificant justification for their availability when weighed against the human destruction silencers make possible. The same can and must be said about ALL military grade weapons designed to kill the maximum number of human beings in the minimum amount of time.

We cut the needless deaths from unsafe cars by half and only the chronically drunk had to give up driving. We do NOT allow real-life versions of the vehicles in Mad Max or Death Race 2000 where the design is focused on maximum death. The same reasoning must apply to guns which now kill more people than vehicles, and make suicide a "sure thing" compared to any other method of self destruction.

0 Kudos

Hello everyone,

Please remember to post according to the community guidelines, and refrain from insults and inflammatory comments.

We are a community of people with diverse beliefs, opinions and backgrounds, so please be respectful and refrain from making hateful and/or incendiary comments. You are free to express your opinions, but you must do so in a way that respects the opinions of others.

Thank you for your cooperation in making the AARP Community a safe and welcoming place for all.
http://community.aarp.org/t5/custom/page/page-id/Guidelines

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

This honest American, who follows the laws and exercises his rights, is ostracized, condemned and falsely accused for dirty deeds, when in fact that's not the truth.

It's been laid out why the international ban is over and why it's supports safe operation of firearms either at the range or in the woods, domestically.

The process is thorough and insures legal/lawful ownership and the VERY institutes the process liberals scream for.   

So stop with the accusations. 

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

You quoted:

The overseas sale of U.S. defense articles, especially when those weapons could endanger the safety and security of our men and women in uniform, cannot and should not be influenced by personal financial or political interests,” Mr. Lynch wrote.

If other countries are selling suppressors to these foreign entities, which they are, how would US manufacturers not selling them (2002 Ban) protect our men and women in uniform??

An economic decision aided by a former lobbyist now with another government job - doubt that's new.  Don't we have bankers and wall street dealers appointed as Sec. of the Treasury?  Then what happens to them when they leave office - most go right back or to someplace else where they can use their talents.

I just don't see this as a big deal - there is so much more important stuff government needs to figure out that affects us more.

Honored Social Butterfly

@GailL1 wrote:

You quoted:

The overseas sale of U.S. defense articles, especially when those weapons could endanger the safety and security of our men and women in uniform, cannot and should not be influenced by personal financial or political interests,” Mr. Lynch wrote.

If other countries are selling suppressors to these foreign entities, which they are, how would US manufacturers not selling them (2002 Ban) protect our men and women in uniform??

WE either stand for something or we don't. Selling these to foreign countries is saying that we support the use of these silencers. This is wrong, it was done to kowtow to corporate greed.

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

It is an entirely Republican policy that they appoint people opposed to the regulation from a Federal agency to run that agency as often as they can get away with it.

Same Republican logic (I must assume) that lets tRump overlook the bounty Putin places on our GIs - after all, other deadly enemies of America do it all the time, so what's the big deal?

The big deal is that Republicans have been working for decades to make behavior by public official which used to disgust the American People seem "business as usual" so they can get about their disgusting behavior and the money it makes them in peace.

Kudos
Views
Honored Social Butterfly

Great??

More white supremists, trump supporters, racists, and nazis with silencers...what could go wrong!

That’s their plan, hide in the shadows, and not to be heard while they shoot innocent citizens. 

Conversationalist

Although many people think that silencers were banned in the 1930s to fight a rash of Mafia-style killings, The Washington Post reports that authorities were more afraid that poachers would use silencers during Depression-era food shortages to hunt out of season.

Chicago has a lot of bloodshed, including 762 homicides and more than 3,500 shootings last year, but silencers figure in little or any of it. Anthony Guglielmi, a spokesman for the Chicago Police Department, told me, "We seldom recover silencers. Sometimes you may get a gun with a makeshift silencer, but even that is rare."

A report last year by the VPC cites a handful of shootings in which silencers were used. But the paucity of examples confirms that they are not of great interest to criminals. An earlier study by Paul A. Clark published in the Western Criminology Review found only two federal court cases involving the use of a silencer in a murder between 1995 and 2005.

He also unearthed eight cases in which "a silencer was actively used during commission of a crime but not used to physically injure anyone." That works out to one serious silencer-related crime per year, in a country that in 2005 had 16,740 homicides and 417,000 robberies.

If silencers were truly valuable to ordinary criminals, there would undoubtedly be a thriving black market and plenty of crimes committed with them. But the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives traced only 125 silencers in 2015—not all of which were connected to crimes. As Clark notes, a minimally clever miscreant can get the same noise reduction by wrapping his gun in a towel or pillow.

https://reason.com/2017/01/16/the-surprising-truth-about-gun-silencers/

I know quite a few foreign countries allow the use of suppressors at gun ranges, mainly to reduce the noise. I've never had the chance to use one personally but have shot at a range where other shooters had them and the noise abatement was a pleasant surprise. I've suffered hearing loss due to shooting, even while wearing hearing protection. I can see the benefits of their use while hunting and sport shooting, as I imagine so would most that live within hearing distance of a shooting range.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@williamb39198 wrote:

Great??

More white supremists, trump supporters, racists, and nazis with silencers...what could go wrong!

That’s their plan, hide in the shadows, and not to be heard while they shoot innocent citizens. 

Sounds like one of two things... you're making an accusation or projecting your bias on the matter.

It's perfectly legal and helps keep my hearing intact at that range. Lots of shooters use them for safety. In addition some areas for hunting are small and one shot will send game into hiding, while a suppressor does not. The next guy a mile away would thank me, if he could hear where I'm at.

0 Kudos
Honored Social Butterfly

@Fishslayer777 wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

Great??

Sounds like one of two things... you're making an accusation or projecting your bias on the matter.

It's perfectly legal and helps keep my hearing intact at that range. Lots of shooters use them for safety. In addition some areas for hunting are small and one shot will send game into hiding, while a suppressor does not. The next guy a mile away would thank me, if he could hear where I'm at.

They make ear muffs for ear protection. They make silencers so others cannot recognize gunshots, like when an irate father or mother decides to shoot their spouse and all the children. They make them so an irate person can go into a public building and kill dozens without those on the outside hearing the gunshots. Oh but what the heck, corporate profit is placed above all logic and safety.

Get earmuffs !

Man learns from history that man learns nothing from history.
Honored Social Butterfly

I've got mine.

https://www.atf.gov/file/61546/download

0 Kudos
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Does AARP donate to political parties or endorse candidates?

AARP is strictly non-partisan and always has been. We never endorse or donate to candidates, political parties or political action committees.

Learn more.

AARP Members Only Games

Play members only games, like FIll Ins, Lumeno, 2048 and a collaborative, multiplayer Let's Crossword.

Play Now
AARP Members Only Games Logos
AARP Rewards

Solve Crosswords. Earn Rewards. Activate AARP Rewards to earn points for games, quizzes and videos. Redeem for deals and discounts.

Get started with AARP Rewards now!
/html/assets/Rewards-program-badge-355x224.png