Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: White House: End Electric Car Subsidies

Message 31 of 53
williamb39198 posted..

Well, if you oppose social programs, such as roads, paid by muni and state taxes that citizens pay, or federal assistance, paid by taxes that citizens pay, how would you propose that we pay

for new roads or road maintenance?

============================================================

White House: End Electric Car Subsidies.....yes it should!

I like most people are for social programs.

I believe that people using our roads should pay for them. Do you? If not why?

The owners of electric cars are not paying their share. Is that OK with you? If so why?

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 32 of 53

Gail - Do you want to sacrafice jobs for the sake of electric cars that only a few can use presently?

I don't think "presently" is a valid argument when the US is not presently putting full effort into protecting air quality.  People now becoming too sick to get to their jobs, is the presently we are looking at.  The US needs to be more focused on the future of the health and well being of its citizens and its economies.  New jobs are now and will continue to be created with that effort.

China has this figured out.  They provide jobs for humans and robots that all contribute to the status they presently enjoy and have worked hard to achieve.  I believe Germany is one of the world's leaders in robotic manufacture and maintenance.

https://www.kuka.com/en-us/about-kuka

Global Plug-in Sales for the 1st Half of 2018

third Global Plug-in Sales for the 1st Half of 2018 image

http://www.ev-volumes.com/country/total-world-plug-in-vehicle-volumes/

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 33 of 53

@williamb39198 wrote:

@KidBoy2 

Well, if you oppose social programs, such as roads, paid by muni and state taxes that citizens pay, or federal assistance, paid by taxes that citizens pay, how would you propose that we pay 

Or do you oppose the US being a world leader in clean energy?

Never Forget

OF COURSE they do - what GOPers desire is for the US to lead the World in BILLIONAIRES! - Nothing else.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 34 of 53

@KidBoy2 wrote:
White House: End Electric Car Subsidies

=======================================

I hope they do.

Electric cars do not pay for our roads ...that is telling.

Simple oversight by Republicans who never bother to examine things that will improve the environment. They already calculate the "equivalent mpg" for electric and hybreds. If you live in Nebraska, the gas tax is $0.46/gal for State and $0.18 for Federal or $0.64/gallon equivilent. A Tesla sedan gets 130mpg,  if you drive it 15,000 miles, you would owe (15,000/130=115.4 x $0.64 = $73.86 which you'd just add to your license and registration fee and the State would rebate (115.4 x $0.18 =) $20.77 to the US Dept of Transportation.

OR we could use an annual tax based on weight and miles driven, plus a pollution factor for how much CO2 you pumped into the atmosphere, and collect it each year as part of the license and registration. In the example above, a gas powered car would pay (15,000mi/25mi/g = 384gal x $0.64/gal) = $245.76, plus the pollution tax and whatever the weight factor would be.

The FACT is, thanks to Republicans blocking all attempts to increase the fuel tax, a gashog pickup will not "pay for our highways", and a semi will not even come close, so the real reason the GOPers rant about the "unfairness" of electric cars is the GOPerLords told them to.

Better still, follow T Boone Pickens great suggestion, encourage (subsidize)  converting Semi's from diesel to NG. Cuts greenhouse gases and particulates and improves engine life.

Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 35 of 53

Gail, I understand what you are saying, but with the current admin, it is a moot point.  That is also the difference between Norway and the US, as pointed out in the article in the original post.

Norway is looking at the future and how to stay competitive in global business:

VIDAR HELGESEN, Foreign Minister, Norway:
Our position is very much that we very much need to build competitiveness for the future. We also need to care about the jobs that don't exist today that need to exist in the future. We know that the Chinese are investing massively in renewable energy. We know the Chinese and other major up coming economies are investing a lot in electric vehicles. I think they're building green competitiveness for the future.

Trump is looking for immediate gratification from his base besties. He is not looking beyond 2020:

PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP:
The assault on the America auto industry, believe me, is over. It's over.

We're setting up a task force in every federal agency to identify and remove any regulation that undermines American auto production and any other kind of production.

"China investing massively in renewable energy"?  And the US continues to roll back emissions regulations and anything else to do with combating climate change because it is all a 'hoax', you know. 

Hmm, where is that going to put this country in 10, 20 years when America has been left behind China and the rest of the world in renewable energy and the technology of tomorrow?  (Well, maybe we'll have 6G ahead of China, so says Donnie, but I digress.)  Make America great again, my a**!

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 36 of 53
williamb39198 posted..

Or do you oppose the US being a world leader in clean energy?

Never Forget

================================================

Say what?

I stated I want the subsidies to end. I also stated that electric cars do not pay for our roads. OK?

I should have stated but I thought everyone already new that electric cars do not use gas so they do not pay the federal or state gas tax.

FYI...

The federal government contributes to funding the nation's state and local highways and transit systems through the Highway Trust Fund (HTF). In 2017, $42 billion of gasoline taxes and other revenues will flow into the HTF, and the fund will spend $54 billion, with the difference made up by general federal revenues.Aug 1, 2017

My state gas tax is 32.25 cents per gal PLUS 18.4 federal for a total of 50.65 cents per gallon .

Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 37 of 53

@ManicProgressive wrote:

@KidBoy2 wrote:

Electric cars do not pay for our roads ...that is telling.

Gas taxes don’t pay for much of our roads anymore. Road construction, repair, and maintenance costs are covered mostly by our regular income and property taxes.

At the State level, fuel taxes still pay (partly) for state road repair - as do tolls and other fee based taxes.

In many states the (state) fuel tax on electric cars has just been switched to some other type tax specifically for these type of vehicles.

Green Tech Media - 07/05/2017 - Updated: 17 States Now Charge Fees for Electric Vehicles

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 38 of 53

@williamb39198 wrote:

@GailL1 

So is your point that we should just give up on clean energy transportation?

Because stats say that these vehicles are not being pushed because America wants to burn gas, not using any form of clean energy...because corporations don’t want clean energy?

NO - my point is the car manufacturers and dealerships have to be incentivized to market them.

If we are to have a tax credit (tax expenditure) then we need to give it to them - BIG.

Clean Energy transportation is gonna be a big cost to us as a country if that is where the incentives have to come from and not just for this type of clean energy.

Around here people driveSmiley Sadprobably in this order) - Big trucks, SUV's of all sizes, Luxury vehicles, smaller sedans and older cars/trucks/SUV's  Those are what fits their lifestyle and pocketbook.  Dealerships make money not only on selling the popular (and better advertized) models but also on the maintenance and repairs of these vehicles.  If they are not selling electric cars, they aren't investing in the new equipment necessary to service them.

IOW, we have to change the lifestyle wants/needs of people (that is hard to do) or build electric vehicles to fit those needs - including price and size - a small sedan only fits so many people. 

It all goes back to the manufacturers and those selling and maintaning them.

Look at what GM just did:

ElecTrek 11/26/2018 - GM kills the Chevy Volt, shuts down factories, but accelerates EV investment

GM announced today a major restructuring that will involve “doubling” the company’s investment in electric and self-driving cars, but they will pay for it by shutting down factories and laying off thousands of workers.

The company has also confirmed that the Chevy Volt will be discontinued.

Do you want to sacrafice jobs for the sake of electric cars that only a few can use presently?

Seems to me, it is not just about using electricity (batteries) to power autos - but designing the autos using electic energy to power them that people want /need- and making the price affordable.

Like I said - if government incentivizes this - BIG BUCK.

If industry puts forth the effort - then they probably aren't gonna be paying taxes because of the

R & D.

* * * * It's Always Something . . . Roseanne Roseannadanna
Kudos
Views
Respected Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 39 of 53
PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: "There is no more beautiful sight than an American-made car."

I bet if he actually drove himself in DC or NYC (as in no chauffeur or Secret Service leading the way), he'd be singing a different tune.  What a dork.

Kudos
Views
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 40 of 53

In Florida tolls pay for a good chunk of road repairs and new construction. It works out well for Floridians since half the drivers paying tolls are from out of state tourists. 

Electric cars pay the same tolls as gas guzzlers.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

This AARP gamer plays to get back her art and identity after a health scare. Read Regan C.’s story, available now.

gamer Regan C.

Top Authors