Your pain isn't like anyone else's, and science is homing in on better treatments. Read about the newest ways to break pain's grip.

Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Where is Our Right Not to Get Shot?

Message 11 of 42

America's Merchants of Death were small potatos until the mid 1960's. Then Congress "privatized" the manufacture of military small arms, and the death merchants went from supporting the 10% of the population into hunting and marksmanship to surpassing the Soviets as Worldwide distributors of military grade firepower to anyone with the money.

All we need to reverse that tragic course of events is to elect enough Democratic Presidents to reconstitute SCOTUS into a body that can interpret the Constitution as a living document that promotes, instead of removing, the safety of American citizens.

There is no negotiating with the Merchants of Death - they have spent millions to prevent the manufacture and sale of "smart guns" that can only be fired by their legal owners because that will reduce their profits. How many American lives it will save is totally irrelivant to the death dealers.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Highlighted
Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 42

@alferdpacker wrote:

That's why I've lawfully carried concealed for over forty years - because I have long ujnderstood that  - when seconds count - the police are minutes away - and that - if it becomes necessary to involve the police - depending on who shows up - and whether they're having a good or bad day - their "interpretation" and "exercise of discretion" may not be in my best interests as far as my remaining healthy, uninjured, alive, and free to go about my business is concerned.

More than half are good, decent, honorable, well meaning people who try to see that real justice - not law is dispensed.

The others - like Wall Street Bankers, most politicians, and at least ten percent of the general population - can ony be trusted tied across the mouth of a cannon - when you have the lanyard in your hand.

Interesting - in 40 years of legally carrying concealed - have you ever once

1. Had to un-conceal your weapon and use it to defend yourself?

2. Had to un-conceal your weapon and use it to defend anyone else?

3. Had to un-conceal your weapon and shoot it at anyone?

4. Have you ever killed another human being?

4a. Do you even think you could?

5. Are you required to be licensed to carry your concealed weapon?

5a If so - are you required to demonstrate any proficiency with a weapon as a condition of maintaining your license?

6. Have you ever been shot at over the 40 years you have carried concealed?

7. Have you ever been attacked by anyone - where you felt your life was in danger in the 40 years you have carried a concealed weapon?

8. Do you plan on continuing to carry a concealed weapon for ever until the day you die?

8a. If so - do you feel there are any mental or physical handicaps you might develop where you feel you could become a danger to yourself or others and if so - have you instructed others to relieve you of a weapon in those circumstances?

9. Do you know anyone personally other than law enforecement that carries a concealed weapon and has used it for protection in a situation where they felt their life was in danger?

10. Does or has your wife carry a concealed weapon?

11. Do any or all of your children and grandchildren carry a concealed weapon?

12 Is there a event you can point to that was instrumental in your decision 40 years ago to start carrying a concealed weapon?

Thanks

( " China if You're Listening - Get Trumps Tax Returns " )

" )
" - Anonymous

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 42

@cat2015 wrote:

I agree with you, Tx. None of us knows what we would do in a mass shooting. A lot of us think we'd be heroes, but it's a unique situtation. Nobody could ever be prepared for it.

There seems to be a lot of bravado among some, but target shooting and being under fire are different situations.   I'd give more credibility to someone who actually has exchanged fire rather than practiced while at firing ranges. 

And of course one never knows what one would do in any particular situation.  Even a milquetoast might end up being a hero, and a boastful person a coward.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 42

I agree with you, Tx. None of us knows what we would do in a mass shooting. A lot of us think we'd be heroes, but it's a unique situtation. Nobody could ever be prepared for it.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 42

@cat2015 wrote:

Alferd, I have to disagree that Heller settled anything. I suspect that different Supreme Courts will be interpreting the Second Amendment differently for the next two hundred years. This is one amendment that will probably never be settled because it is so badly worded.

Ok - I'll buy that - it's settled this way - until SCOTUS says that it's been changed...

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 42

Alferd, I'm sure you would try. I just don't have much faith in you succeeding. I wish it were possible.

I think guns make people feel safe. The study I'm citing used students who had concealed carry permits and were supposedly trained.

How often have you killed a man? How often have you confronted a mass shooter? All the practice in the world isn't going to prepare you. You don't know what you would do until you're in the situation.

I don't think it's right to blame the victims of mass shootings for their own deaths. There's nothing that any one of them could have done to prevent it.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 42

2f1d612adf066a502f9bc18a41ce858e.jpg

He is useless on top of the ground - he should be under it - inspiring the cabbages... Mark Twain 1894
Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 42

See I really don't know. I used to work near a county shooting range so I know what gun shot sounds like. It depends where you are...a mall and you have more space to think about, a movie theater and you can be a sitting or standing duck, on the street and just get the heck as far as you can...unless your dog is disemboweling the shooter then that's another issue altogether.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 42

Alferd, I have to disagree that Heller settled anything. I suspect that different Supreme Courts will be interpreting the Second Amendment differently for the next two hundred years. This is one amendment that will probably never be settled because it is so badly worded.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 42

JIm, I get that you are fearful of being without your gun. I don't know what to suggest to you other than professional help. It must be terrible to live every day consumed by fear.

However, nobody has ever suggested taking away your guns. You can keep all the guns you want, and nobody will ever bat an eye. You can feel safe in your fortress.

Why would you want to give someone with deep psychological problems a gun? Do you think he has an inviolate constitutional right that only stops when he shoots up a classroom?

Kudos
Views