Become a safer, more confident driver with the AARP Smart Driver course! Use the promo code VET and save 25% during November.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Where did your tax refund go?

Message 41 of 58

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

They would probably have spent it frivolously on things like schools, roads, high speed internet. Not invested it in higher deficits like the Republicans have. 

You can always return to the Treasury any refund you get because of the tax cut.  Think of the schools, roads, high speed internet you would be enabling.

Have a good evening.

The problem, of course, is that Trump screwed with the tax withholding tables in a very, very stupid attempt to make the cuts more impressive to the average citizen then they are.  The result is a significant reduction in the refund amount.  So, Trump touts tax cuts while the average (not the rich) taxpayers see less money in the one metric they use, the refund.  

In short, the electoral college elected a moron to be president. Thank God the majority of American voters did not elect him. 

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 42 of 58

@Richva wrote:

They would probably have spent it frivolously on things like schools, roads, high speed internet. Not invested it in higher deficits like the Republicans have. 

You can always return to the Treasury any refund you get because of the tax cut.  Think of the schools, roads, high speed internet you would be enabling.

Have a good evening.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 43 of 58

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

But now, Trump wants to cut services provided to the 47% who are living in such poverty they do not pay any taxes in order to help fund his tax cuts for the rich. It is immoral to take food from the poor in order to enrich the wealthy.  I wonder what Jesus would do?

Jesus would probably repeat what is said in Colossians 3:2 or Mark 12:17.

But what does that have to do with taxes and where do you get that these tax cuts are only for the rich?  My taxes with the tax cut was about a fifth of what I've been paying.  You have facts that where it was only the rich that received tax cuts?

The question is what would Democrats have done with taxes?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 44 of 58

@Richva wrote:

But now, Trump wants to cut services provided to the 47% who are living in such poverty they do not pay any taxes in order to help fund his tax cuts for the rich. It is immoral to take food from the poor in order to enrich the wealthy.  I wonder what Jesus would do?

Jesus would probably repeat what is said in Colossians 3:2 or Mark 12:17.

But what does that have to do with taxes and where do you get that these tax cuts are only for the rich?  My taxes with the tax cut was about a fifth of what I've been paying.  You have facts that where it was only the rich that received tax cuts?

The question is what would Democrats have done with taxes?

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 45 of 58

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@Richva 

I think that we will be hearing more about the trump tax cut...was it tax reform as it was advertised, or is it the redistribution of wealth/welfare for the wealthy, tax gouging that it appears to be?

Never Forget

Currently, 47% pay no federal income taxes. Guess what? They don't get a tax cut since they pay no income tax. The 53% DO get a tax cut but some of the 53% may feel cheated if they live in high tax blue states since before, they could write off all the blue state taxes they paid but now the limit for tax write offs is $10K. The red states don't have to subsidize the blue states any more. That redistribution of wealth to the wealthy is a figment of your imagination. Those people that were getting gouged by the IRS are getting gouged just a little bit less and those 47% have nothing to complain about since they were paying zero and under Trump's plan, they still pay zero!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 46 of 58

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@williamb39198 wrote:

@Richva 

I think that we will be hearing more about the trump tax cut...was it tax reform as it was advertised, or is it the redistribution of wealth/welfare for the wealthy, tax gouging that it appears to be?

Never Forget

Currently, 47% pay no federal income taxes. Guess what? They don't get a tax cut since they pay no income tax. The 53% DO get a tax cut but some of the 53% may feel cheated if they live in high tax blue states since before, they could write off all the blue state taxes they paid but now the limit for tax write offs is $10K. The red states don't have to subsidize the blue states any more. That redistribution of wealth to the wealthy is a figment of your imagination. Those people that were getting gouged by the IRS are getting gouged just a little bit less and those 47% have nothing to complain about since they were paying zero and under Trump's plan, they still pay zero!

Oh, that is so backwards. I didn’t realize that was a thing...... Blue states subsidize red states, by far.  https://apnews.com/2f83c72de1bd440d92cdbc0d3b6bc08c

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 47 of 58

@williamb39198 wrote:

@Richva 

Never Forget

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 48 of 58

@williamb39198 wrote:

What is your definition of wealthy?  Most of the comments here have been partisan based without any actual examples.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 49 of 58

@Richva 

Never Forget

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 50 of 58

@Richva wrote:

Plus the fact that the Trump administration put pressure on the IRS to make the withholding tables more liberal in order to make the tax cuts look bigger to the average wage earner.  A stupid idea which is coming home to roost.

What does that have to do with the reduction in tax rates?  Withholding didn't change that much, but the amount of the tax was significantly lower this year.  Again most comments are based on partisanism.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Open Enrollment: Oct 15-Dec 7, 2019 Find resources to help you decide on the best healthcare insurance plans for you during Open Enrollment season

Top Authors