AARP's caregiver resource center can help you navigate your role as a family caregiver. Try it today.

Treasured Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Re: Where did your tax refund go?

Message 11 of 58

I just took my daughter to the tax preparer and she is pernanently disabled so she was ok. but I    asked the lady how were other feeling about their refund. and she told me that many of them were surprised to see that instead of a refund they owe money, and many also were not what they had received in previous years, and yes, they wer not happy.

I just sent my paperwork to my accountant, and I am sure that we  are going to get screwed like I had predicted.  So, perhaps I will  be one of those that will be very unhappy with the results.

Report Inappropriate Content
Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 12 of 58

@rker321 wrote:

I have no idea as to what the Colossians said or didn't say, as a Catholic we do not read the Bible and we also have our own Catholic Bible.. so,, what ever they said, is ok by me. ...................... I am surprised that so many in this message board who I am sure we don't have millionaires here, are not disgusted by the innequality that exists today. Is not a matter of redistrubion or wealth is a matter of having those people pay their fair ammount of taxes like we all do.

I'm not Catholic, but I've preferred the Catholic version of the Bible, and is the one I use as it says the exact thing as 'protestant' versions.  But on the topic, we're not rich, but have built up and maintain a hefty amount in savings and live comfortably.    Not counting the large refund which went into savings, we'll be adding a large amount to our savings monthly, drawing interest instead of the government holding it until we file income taxes.

I suspect that opposition to the new tax law is mostly partisan.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 13 of 58

@TxGrandpa2 wrote:

@Richva wrote:

But now, Trump wants to cut services provided to the 47% who are living in such poverty they do not pay any taxes in order to help fund his tax cuts for the rich. It is immoral to take food from the poor in order to enrich the wealthy.  I wonder what Jesus would do?

Jesus would probably repeat what is said in Colossians 3:2 or Mark 12:17.

But what does that have to do with taxes and where do you get that these tax cuts are only for the rich?  My taxes with the tax cut was about a fifth of what I've been paying.  You have facts that where it was only the rich that received tax cuts?

The question is what would Democrats have done with taxes?

I have no idea as to what the Colossians said or didn't say, as a Catholic we do not read the Bible and we also have our own Catholic Bible.. so,, what ever they said, is ok by me. but what would the Democrats do with the taxes, in all probability   raise taxes on Corporations, which should be done, raise taxes on the 1% in order to minimize that inequality.  and do a fair Death Tax and not the give away tax break that we have given to millionaires  in the new tax laws. I am surprised that so many in this message board who I am sure we don't have millionaires here, are not disgusted by the innequality that exists today. Is not a matter of redistrubion or wealth is a matter of having those people pay their fair ammount of taxes like we all do. They have loopholes that most people don't have. so, please, try to see the lack of fairness in this new law.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 14 of 58

@Olderscout66 wrote:

It doesn't matter how much you pay, what matters is how much you have left over and what those taxes provide for THE NATION.

Sure it matters how much you pay. If the burden is too high, you will see those people either leave or hide their wealth so your scheme to gouge them won't work. Everyone wants to pay less, so if the left wants to pony up more, then do so and send it to the United States Treasury since the left are the requesters of all government programs.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 15 of 58

@Richva wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I'm sure you know by now that the top 1% percent earners are paying more taxes than the bottom 90% earners and that totally DISPROVES your point. The top earners are paying MORE than their fair share and even paying YOUR SHARE!

"The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (39.5 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (29.1 percent)."

https://taxfoundation.org/summary-latest-federal-income-tax-data-2016-update/

Ah yes. Republicans, the party of the wealthy. A reporter once asked Willie Sutton why he robbed banks and his response was "That's where the money is". The wealthy pay taxes because the top 5 wealthiest people have more wealth than the entire bottom 50%. Any system which allows such inequities to continue is doomed to failure. America is no longer the nation of opportunity, it is the nation of inheritance. 

Funny that you mention Willie Sutton along with his catch phrase: "I rob banks because that's where the money is". Are you inferring that the Democrats are emulating Willie Sutton? Being wealthy is what you should aspire to instead of the jealous position of the left!

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 16 of 58

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

I'm sure you know by now that the top 1% percent earners are paying more taxes than the bottom 90% earners and that totally DISPROVES your point. The top earners are paying MORE than their fair share and even paying YOUR SHARE!

"The top 1 percent paid a greater share of individual income taxes (39.5 percent) than the bottom 90 percent combined (29.1 percent)."

Ah yes. Republicans, the party of the wealthy. A reporter once asked Willie Sutton why he robbed banks and his response was "That's where the money is". The wealthy pay taxes because the top 5 wealthiest people have more wealth than the entire bottom 50%. Any system which allows such inequities to continue is doomed to failure. America is no longer the nation of opportunity, it is the nation of inheritance. 

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 17 of 58

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Redistribution is the name of the Republican game - they take it from the middle class and give it to the top of the 1%. The only ones in the bottom 90% who got a tax cut from lil donny would be a couple earning less than $50,000 who might have picked up $500 and a family of 4 would pay about $100 more on that income while the same families but an income of $1,000,000 would get about $25,000 more.

Meanwhile, the Debt hit $22 TRILLION, and since it's OWED by the bottom 90% and OWNED by the top 10%, you can see how that little redistribution is proceeding.

For 38 years we've refused to collect enough tax revenue to come close to maintaining our infrastructre, Social Security or Medicare. Its way past time those who benefitted most from the tax code that caused our financial problems return to paying what their parents and grandparents did from 1934 until 1965, and keep doing it until those "problems" THEY created via their bought-and-paid-for Republcian politicians is FIXED.

All the "redistribution" is taking place from the top earners to the midlle and lower earners. Do some Googling to find out you are WRONG!

You've got a google that cannot search outside the Republibubble? Amazing, but explains a lot.

Unfortunatily for your statement, IF what you found were true, then the top 1% WOULD NOT continue to acquire an ever increasing share of the total pie, be it income OR wealth? Its not because they are.

Very strange that you find this somehow indicating the arrival of that long awaited Golden Shower every Republican candidate promises will suddenly appear, and drench the bottom 99% with goodness and wealth if only we give the Uberrich ONE MORE tax cut.

You continue to rant about something that has been going on since the dawn of  Civilization and in fact allowed Civilization to advance for the last 10,000 years.

What you ignore is since the Reagan Taxscam shifted the burden of paying for our civilization from the wealthy (who suffered no ill effect and in fact profited mightily) to the Middle Class, OUR civilization has REGRESSED.

Our infrastructure has gone from World's Best to 3d World, our Schools that led the pack are now running 27th (can you even NAME 27 countries that seem likely to have better schools?), our health care is a WorldWide JOKE, so bad we are the only Democracy where the life expectancy is GOING DOWN and our economy in what Republicans call "boom times" grows at HALF the rate it did in the 1960's when the TMR was 91% to 70%, Corporations contributed 50% of total Federal Revenues AND OVER HALF OF OUR WORKERS PAID NO FEDERAL INCOME TAX.

Name ONE "GREAT THING" that America has done since 1985 that did not involve killing thousands of human beings.

Here's a sample of the GREAT THINGS we did when the TMR was 91% and MORE than half the workers paid no Federal Income Tax: Lock and Dam systems on Mississippi, Missouri, Illinois and Ohio rivers; Hoover, Grand Coolie, Glen Canyon, Oahe and 2,720 other Hydroelectric dams; The Golden Gate, Chesapeak Bay, Sunshine Skyway and many other grand bridges; the InterState Highway System; World's Best k-12 education; Our National Parks; The Moon Landings and missions to Mars and beyond, AND THE LIST GOES ON.

All Republican tax policy has done is increase misery, debt and the the gap between rich and poor, which is now greater than it was in the early 1900's, so perhaps GOPers can count THAT as one "GREAT THING" - erasing and reversing a CENTURY of progress toward economic parity for Americans, not by making everyone richer as was happening WWII until the LBJ taxcut, but by redistributing all the increases in income and wealth from the middle class to the very top of the 1%.

It doesn't matter how much you pay, what matters is how much you have left over and what those taxes provide for THE NATION. The short answer since the Reagan scam is TOO MUCH and NOT ENOUGH.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 18 of 58

@Olderscout66 wrote:

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

@Olderscout66 wrote:

Redistribution is the name of the Republican game - they take it from the middle class and give it to the top of the 1%. The only ones in the bottom 90% who got a tax cut from lil donny would be a couple earning less than $50,000 who might have picked up $500 and a family of 4 would pay about $100 more on that income while the same families but an income of $1,000,000 would get about $25,000 more.

Meanwhile, the Debt hit $22 TRILLION, and since it's OWED by the bottom 90% and OWNED by the top 10%, you can see how that little redistribution is proceeding.

For 38 years we've refused to collect enough tax revenue to come close to maintaining our infrastructre, Social Security or Medicare. Its way past time those who benefitted most from the tax code that caused our financial problems return to paying what their parents and grandparents did from 1934 until 1965, and keep doing it until those "problems" THEY created via their bought-and-paid-for Republcian politicians is FIXED.

All the "redistribution" is taking place from the top earners to the midlle and lower earners. Do some Googling to find out you are WRONG!

You've got a google that cannot search outside the Republibubble? Amazing, but explains a lot.

Unfortunatily for your statement, IF what you found were true, then the top 1% WOULD NOT continue to acquire an ever increasing share of the total pie, be it income OR wealth? Its not because they are.

Very strange that you find this somehow indicating the arrival of that long awaited Golden Shower every Republican candidate promises will suddenly appear, and drench the bottom 99% with goodness and wealth if only we give the Uberrich ONE MORE tax cut.

Kudos
Views
Valued Social Butterfly
Kudos
Views

Message 19 of 58

Answer to the question is simple, in two parts:

PART 1. If the decrease in your total federal income tax paid is less than 2% of your total income, it went to pay for Der Trumper's trade wars via inflation, you got LESS THAN NOTHING AND ARE IN THE BOTTOM 95%.

PART 2. If the decrease in your total federal income tax paid is more than $24,000, you are in the upper 5%, and are the intended beneficiary of lil donny's tax scam.

Kudos
Views
Kudos
Views

Message 20 of 58

@NOTHAPPENING wrote:

Don't look at the refund but the line that says total taxes on the 1040 form for 2017 and 2018. That is the numbers you want to compare!

The important figure is on line 15, form 1040 for 2018 in comparison to line 39 for 2017.  I can't comprehend why there is so much concern for the refund instead of amount of taxes.

Kudos
Views
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Users
Announcements

Roundtable Discussion:
Ask questions and get advice from fellow entrepreneurs
Now through Nov. 22